Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I remembered her reddish brown hair in Hateful 8 (literally the only thing I know her from)

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I know the reason they did was because it makes for better dramatic television but it irked me that she didn’t just shoot the guy while he was knocked out and the cop just stood there out of cover when he was in front of the gas station.

The cop thing I get because he doesn't seem particularly savvy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife didn't recognize that Deputy Gator (he even sounds like a Justified jobber) was Steve from Stranger Things.

But she didn't recognize Jennifer Jason Leigh either.

This is her first season of Fargo, after completely refusing to watch any of the previous ones with me. We are both 100% on board so far. It is already leaving season 4 in the dust, and I suspect it will be much better than 3 as well (where the standouts for me were the villain and the casting as a whole, but not necessarily the plot or other characters).

I appreciate how season 3 pre-empted 'fake news' and had a lot of really fun stuff in it (bowling alley, the wolf, fun central conflict, deaf guy returns in spectacular form, "I can help" robot etc.). Feel like it holds up better on rewatch, but it's got the unfortunate duty of following the best standalone season of a tv show ever made.

S4 isn't hard to beat, as it's the first one to truly be a mess. Only thing outside of the setup I recall fondly was The Rabbit episode, and even that kinda missed the mark.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CBJSprague24 posted:

I got the two confused. I remembered her reddish brown hair in Hateful 8 (literally the only thing I know her from) and, not paying close enough attention/without looking closely, assumed she was in the starring role.

I just looked at that actress' IMDB page, because I don't know her at all. I've seen the Netflix movie "Anihilation" but that kind of sucked and I didn't even remember that Natalie Portman was in there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I just looked at that actress' IMDB page, because I don't know her at all. I've seen the Netflix movie "Anihilation" but that kind of sucked and I didn't even remember that Natalie Portman was in there.

My favorite Jennifer Jason Leigh performance was The Hudsucker Proxy, which happens to be my favorite Coen Brothers movie. She does a very similar accent in that movie and in Fargo season 5, the "Transatlantic" accent actors used to do, which sounds "old-timey" to our ears.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My favorite Jennifer Jason Leigh performance was The Hudsucker Proxy, which happens to be my favorite Coen Brothers movie. She does a very similar accent in that movie and in Fargo season 5, the "Transatlantic" accent actors used to do, which sounds "old-timey" to our ears.
Thank you for reminding me I need to rewatch that film. The last time I did, it was airing on Comedy Central some 20-odd years ago.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Taking the chance to post this thing that I did for some GBS thread

For the kids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My wife didn't recognize that Deputy Gator (he even sounds like a Justified jobber) was Steve from Stranger Things.

Oh holy poo poo, neither did I. So sad to see a single mom turn bad like that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Regarding Jennifer Jason Leigh, for god's sake, is Fast Times at Ridgemont High not nearly as well known as I thought it was?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Regarding Jennifer Jason Leigh, for god's sake, is Fast Times at Ridgemont High not nearly as well known as I thought it was?
Known, sure. Seen, less so.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Known, sure. Seen, less so.

Apparently. I thought it was one of those movies that even younger people today had a decent familiarity with. I'm old, so of course it's a staple.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Apparently. I thought it was one of those movies that even younger people today had a decent familiarity with. I'm old, so of course it's a staple.
We're in the era where 20-somethings haven't seen The Matrix because it came out before they were born. We are old.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh they know the Matrix! It's that weird movie from a couple of years ago with the guy from How I Met Your Mother?

And you angrily tell them no, it's that weird movie from a couple of years ago with Doogie Howser! :argh:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I read a review that called this season "an accent in search of a show" or something and now I can't get it out of my head. Yeah, lots of crazy accents, and a lot of them seem designed to replace having to write character personalities. I don't like how one-dimensional everyone who's not Juno Temple is. But I'm willing to stick with it a while longer. It really hurts that this is the first season I haven't been able to just marathon since season 1.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
So we've got a Dorothy marred to a cowardly Lyon with a daughter whose name is also Toto's breed. Tillman could use a heart and from what we've seen of Wink he may be lacking in the brain department (I guess the cop's wife could also be a scarecrow). Lorraine is the wicked witch and Dave Foley is a flying monkey? Am I reaching here? They did already do a tornado in the last season though.

I'm going to try to work "moist repose" into as many conversations as possible.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 27, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah the Wizard of Oz was a heavy thematic element last season, but the connections seem too blatant to ignore. Tillman is like 85 percent of the way to tinman, although it kind of falls apart when you consider that he is trying to drag Dorothy back to the farm. Might just be a fun naming convention.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Danish Graves is the all time greatest fictional character name.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I still think about Lorne Malvo and wonder if the name came from the show likely being rated TV-MA LV.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hope Jennifer Jason leigh's character dies

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
She assumed it was a fake kidnapping to get at her money that went sideways. Her downfall is going to be thinking she's in Fargo the movie instead of Fargo the TV show.

Good call making the bad guy a sheriff and our "good cops" POCs. We're like six months before George Floyd and trying to make the 2019 Minnesota police look sympathetic would be an absolute fool's errand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One of the better ideas of Season 4 was partially inverting the dynamic between honest cops and evil criminals so I'm glad they're not purely returning to the old formula

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah it rules that they're portraying the American sheriff as a feudal lord with endless capacity to abuse their power, which is what they essentially are.

https://twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/1727091355636371667?t=k9jd58Jv2rktf8dZOhZ8PQ&s=19

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lmao

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it rules that they're portraying the American sheriff as a feudal lord with endless capacity to abuse their power, which is what they essentially are.

https://twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/1727091355636371667?t=k9jd58Jv2rktf8dZOhZ8PQ&s=19

poo poo I bet Sheriff Joe would have literally agreed to be cast in this show playing that character exactly as it's currently written, fully unaware it's essentially a parody* of him. He's too much of a narcissist to detect subtle insults when they're wrapped in what seems like praise on the surface. Although I'm sure Sheriff Morals will probably end up getting got in some way by the end of the season and I doubt his ego could sustain that.

*Parody's not the right word though because this portrayal is way more charismatic than that sack of poo poo could ever be

Anyways, really enjoyed the first two episodes. Really feels like a return to form after S4. Pretty much any show is improved by the presence of John Hamm and this one is no different. For now I'm choosing to believe that his character here is canonically the same as his character in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

timp posted:

poo poo I bet Sheriff Joe would have literally agreed to be cast in this show playing that character exactly as it's currently written

Would’ve been such a good bit if this happened and they got him to pierce his nips irl

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also greatly enjoying this season so far. Watched the episodes days ago and still thinking about them. Really compelling stuff.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tender Bender posted:

One of the comments is bitching about them "gender-swapping a girl."
It's true, I wore a suit once in 4th grade and I've been a guy ever since.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Das Boo posted:

One of the comments is bitching about them "gender-swapping a girl."
It's true, I wore a suit once in 4th grade and I've been a guy ever since.

Imagine watching that scene and thinking,"Yes, the grandmother is clearly the good and right person here, this is the intended and expected interpretation of what I am watching."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
For the first episode I had to keep reminding myself that this Fargo and that Dot is the season's designated Peggy-type figure. And then the second episode has her set up a bunch of murder traps around her house.

She gonna incur some collateral damage this season. Probably her husband -- as foreshadowed by the opening where she tasers the cop.

Which, I dunno, I'm not convinced that this season's fully moving away from having police characters act as mouthpieces for sensible morality. Though the show's always had lovely cops too e.g. Bob Odenkirk's character. I don't see the set-up here as too significant a departure.

I liked those scenes between Dot and her husband in the second episode. He clearly doesn't believe Dot's story, but he'd very much like to. As such he's willing to ignore his misgivings and just construct a version of the truth as defined by her. You get the sense that a lot of this season is going to be featuring domineering partners and weak partners, themes about enabling, etc. (cop and her golfing boyfriend, JJL and Danish Graves, even that couple that Hamm is counseling at the start of episode two).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Welp, going to need to think that episode through quite a bit.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
lol the bad guy named Munch is a literal sin eater

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Problematic Pigeon posted:

lol the bad guy named Munch is a literal sin eater

ahh i figured he was another coen bros supernatural assassin guy lmao

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Loved Dot's shopping list. So far this season is just cranking those Fargo dials to 11 it feels like.

Gator in his childhood room with ninja daggers on the wall was great too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn, this season is really loving good so far. :stare:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Very glad my note about no supernatural elements is not only wrong but also completely blown out of the drat water.
As much as I love the use of Smack My Bitch Up it's a shame that they had to chop it up so drat much. However, it's not often you'll hear it in media and have the entirety of the central vocals presented. Well done.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

uber_stoat posted:

ahh i figured he was another coen bros supernatural assassin guy lmao

The rocking chair scene was directly lifted from the 1979 Salem's Lot miniseries. Really hammering in the damned undead bit.

E: Oh, and The Shining music made me smile.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Das Boo posted:

E: Oh, and The Shining music made me smile.

Haha yeah, that kinda caught me off-guard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmfao that episode was all over the place in a really fun way

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I was holding out for an explanation for the kilt and God drat did I get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm a winner