Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Azran posted:

Yeah personally Bloodborne is the best FromSoft title pre-Elden Ring. It has its annoyances but the game is so well put together and has some of my favorite boss fights and weapons. Trick weapons are great.

There's no timing component to blocking in Dark Souls - Sekiro is parrying turned up to eleven.

There's absolutely a timing component to blocking in Dark Souls. If you're playing a shield build your goal is to have your shield up the minimum amount of time possible. If you just stand there holding left trigger you're gonna get wrecked because you have almost no stamina recovery, and every hit you block costs stamina, and if your stamina depletes from blocking a hit your posture breaks and you're defenseless, just like Sekiro.

You raise your shield to block hits as the hit is about to land, and if you're feeling saucy you go for a parry. It's more punishing in this specific aspect than Sekiro in that you have to decide to go for a block or a parry, where in Sekiro a failed parry just turns into a block. Sekiro is still a lot harder because the hits come much faster.

If you understand this mechanic in Souls you can stand on anything's toes with very little repositioning, and hack them to bits. And it feels an awful lot like Sekiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The whole Bioshock franchise can be ignored unless something about it really calls to you. I think they were somewhat overhyped at release and time has not been kind to them. There's nothing that isn't done better in the SS1 remake or SS2 if you can stand the retro or in Arkane games. The initial environment of 1 is quite good and has a distinct character, but the gameplay wasn't great and you spend an awful lot of time in mediocre combat to get the big Andrew Ryan moment. 2's gameplay is better, but it loses out for the environment no longer being as interesting. Infinite tries to use spectacle to paper over its gameplay mediocrity but it gets tedious well before the end.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

disposablewords posted:

I'd love to see more as well because the idea of anyone writing Rapture as a sincere libertopia brought down by The Poors sounds like a deliberately, willfully wrong reading of the game. Like how could a major designer be at all certain that's what he communicated and people just got it wrong? Every step of the plot was "this poo poo was doomed because libertarians are and attract egomaniacs and shysters."

I think people in this thread are just making things up lol

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How "essential" are Grim Dawn's DLCs? I got the base game this sale, and am wondering if I should get the Definitive Edition before the sale runs out. Not sure how often they go on sale.

I picked Druid, am about 8 hours in and having a blast, but it's hard for me to tell how much I have left, and how the new things (characters, items, and campaigns I'm guessing) expand everything.

For reference, I'm not a super min max type of guy, more of a hey this idea looks cool let's try it and run it through kind of guy. So I like to "just try things" instead of planning things to a tee yes I tried and bounced off Path of Exile why do you ask

Artelier fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 27, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

goferchan posted:

I didn't want to break keyfabe but yeah.

Like the Burial at Sea plot summary is real, the "slavery is bad...but revolution go too far?" plot in Infinite is real, judge away on that, but Levin hating Bioshock 2 and the other stuff is internet legend/fan speculation.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 27, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Objective Action posted:

I just wanted you to know you sold me on this, bought it and put it on my ever growing backlog. Someday....someday.

Exactly the same.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

goferchan posted:

I've heard it before elsewhere, so people aren't just making poo poo up here. But it sure feels like someone did somewhere.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Artelier posted:

How "essential" are Grim Dawn's DLCs? I got the base game this sale, and am wondering if I should get the Definitive Edition before the sale runs out. Not sure how often they go on sale.

I picked Druid, am about 8 hours in and having a blast, but it's hard for me to tell how much I have left, and how the new things (characters, items, and campaigns I'm guessing) expand everything.

Also pretty new to it, just finished my first playthrough. They each add some new classes. Forgotten Gods adds "Shattered Realms" which work kind of like Diablo 3 rifts if you ever did that, where you run through randomly generated areas against a timer trying to kill as much poo poo as possible to get rewards. Forgotten Gods also adds a bunch of universal "mobility skills" you can get, which are definitely nice but don't feel as critical since the most recent update that added the dodge button.

The actual campaign acts for the DLC can be played any time after Act I due to most of the stuff in the game scaling, so while I think they're a little harder than main-game stuff of equal level they're not necessarily "endgame" exclusive content. I think the general consensus is that the DLC is very good if you like the game, but it's hard to say how much you "need" it if you're having a great time on your vanilla playthrough. If you think you'll be playing the game for a long time you'll definitely want it eventually but the original package feels pretty complete.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

vaginite posted:

There's absolutely a timing component to blocking in Dark Souls.

As a person who just played DS1 last year for the first time, "lol, no." Hiding behind a heavy shield is what I did literally all game after the first one dropped, it required no skill at all and me timidly dropping it for half a cowardly second for stamina regen required no learning of the boss' patterns. Comparatively, I never learnt how to deflect in DS1 nor 2. I have absolutely no skills nor sense of timing at all and I'm getting totally wrecked in Sekiro, as is right.

I loved those shields and really enjoyed being a big dumb bruiser, but let's not oversell it here.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

disposablewords posted:

I've heard it before elsewhere, so people aren't just making poo poo up here. But it sure feels like someone did somewhere.

Yeah I have no real fondness for Bioshock and have no doubt Ken Levine is a diva but if you think the game's depiction of Rapture is some dumb libertarian's attempt to portray an ideal society you are frighteningly gullible lol. Poor writing and a misguided attempt to inject some "moral ambiguity" may muddle the message a bit but it's clearly meant to be a hellhole founded and run by psychopaths.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The only thing I can see is if you're really uncharitable and applying 2023 politics to a 16 year old game, the Atlas stuff might be interpreted as "activists like Greta Thunberg are paid actors to manipulate the masses". But Fontaine was still a rich businessman, "poor untalented people ruined the libertarian paradise" still isn't there.

Like, step one of seeing Rapture as a portrayal of an unironically good place to live is already insane.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 27, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The only boss fight in DS1 where the timing of blocking matters is Artorias.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I've seen people try and use Infinite as some absolute authoritative codex of Levine's true political leanings and it's like, c'mon. These days it's so much easier to point to stuff he tangibly, credibly did. Like shutter Irrational to make a new smaller "story games" focused team only to come crawling right back with a new Bioshock knockoff after years and years of producing gently caress and all. All that other poo poo about him really being hardcore libertarian all along and throwing a temper tantrum about Bioshock 2 being mentioned sounds like the type of poo poo /vg/ would cook up for a laugh. If there's receipts somewhere out there, then cool, but every time I've seen it come up it's been via a drive-by shitpost on SA.

Though this does also remind me of the time that the late Shamus Young tried to do an epic takedown of Bioshock by getting actual factual Libertarians to critique it and their overall conclusion was naturally that libertarianism wasn't the problem, Rapture was just bad at it. :lol:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You mention /vg/ but tbh I got flashbacks to tumblr circa-2014 style analysis.

"Um, did anyone else notice that the soldiers in Star Wars are called stormtroopers??? Hello??????"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mycot posted:

You mention /vg/ but tbh I got flashbacks to tumblr circa-2014 style analysis.

"Um, did anyone else notice that the soldiers in Star Wars are called stormtroopers??? Hello??????"

That's bullshit. Next you're going to tell me that Tyler Durden is not the good guy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

mycot posted:

Big if true.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://lparchive.org/Bioshock-Infinite-(by-Bobbin-Threadbare)/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMUr0pGiq0

Burial at Sea starts at video 31 in Bobbin Threadbare's LP if people want to see for themselves. There is also a lot of discussion in the latter part of the thread.

The main issue with the plot, imo, is that it presents the collapse of Rapture as something that happened overnight as a result of deliberate sabotage rather than an inexorable breakdown due to Libertarianism fundamentally not working. While Rapture is still presented as a lovely, oppressive society, it was apparently perfectly stable until that darn Fontaine ruined everything, and the social inequality doesn't seem much worse than the average nation at the time. Most people just live normal lives. It does come off somewhat like Ryan is just bad at doing Objectivism rather than Objectivism being fundamentally bad in itself. NPCs comment on how Ryan ruling like a dictator isn't actually compatible with the supposed ideology of this place.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 27, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gk3A11YJBg

This is the iconic Bioshock video in my memory for some reason

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The best part of Infinite are the credits, because they put in a behind the scenes bit where the VAs of Booker and Elizabeth do a musical number pretty well, and Ken comes in with stage directions only after they finish, and it turns out they were supposed to do it poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhPO2erAgr0&t=590s

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So to the legions of goons who were asking about Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness earlier, I finished the game earlier today, on the default difficulty setting. My review is up:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/656549/recommended/1374930/

quote:

I backed Black Geyser on Kickstarter years and years ago, and had forgotten all about it until recently, when I noticed it had finally come out. I had almost no expectations for this game, either positive or negative, so I went in mostly blind. The first thing that struck me when starting my playthrough was how similar it feels to the old Infinity Engine games, using essentially the same RTwP combat and featuring a very familiar-looking interface (although mechanically it might actually be more reminiscent of Pillars of Eternity's granular stat system). Indeed, Black Geyser is obviously a love letter to the Baldur's Gate games in particular. The protagonist, who predictably has a 'complicated' family history, even starts out in a keep before dramatic events force them to set out on their journey. All in all, the game does a good job of catering to that nostalgia, and more than once I found myself with a big grin on my face after another hard-won, chaotic battle where I had to use all the tools at my disposal. It also does its best to improve on the formula here and there, introducing certain QoL features such as togglable auto-pausing (once again similar to Pillars) and the intriguing 'greed' mechanic, where your actions influence how quickly World Greed rises, which in turn ties into the main plot.

Unfortunately, it does stumble in a number of ways. Many of the quests feel perfunctory and lack a satisfying conclusion. The companions don't seem particularly fleshed out, outside of their respective companion quests and a number of scripted interjections. There is no way (that I could find) to see the status effects impacting enemies during combat, which is a serious oversight in a game like this. Finally, despite the implementation of reputation, fame, and greed meters for your party, it remains unclear to me if these actually affect anything in the story or during your interactions with NPCs, which is a missed opportunity in terms of reactivity.

Would I recommend Black Geyser? It all depends on how you feel towards the old Infinity Engine games. If you love them, as I do, then you will probably enjoy this release as well, as it offers a very similar experience, set in an entirely different universe with its own lore and characters. If you don't care for them, I would steer well clear of this, as it unfortunately doesn't offer much beyond the old IE formula, and in some aspects even clearly falls short of the all-time classics such as Baldur's Gate 2.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that screenshot indicative of how horny it is?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No. It's actually not horny at all, and the 'romances' are about three dialogue lines each, which made that remark all the funnier.

It is indicative of the game's tonal inconsistencies, however

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The backgrounds look pretty, at least, which is a big part of the iso crpg allure

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anyone who wants to play Bioshock should just play Arkane's Prey

SimonChris posted:

The main issue with the plot, imo, is that it presents the collapse of Rapture as something that happened overnight as a result of deliberate sabotage rather than an inexorable breakdown due to Libertarianism fundamentally not working. While Rapture is still presented as a lovely, oppressive society, it was apparently perfectly stable until that darn Fontaine ruined everything, and the social inequality doesn't seem much worse than the average nation at the time. Most people just live normal lives. It does come off somewhat like Ryan is just bad at doing Objectivism rather than Objectivism being fundamentally bad in itself. NPCs comment on how Ryan ruling like a dictator isn't actually compatible with the supposed ideology of this place.

:ssh: all libertarians are wannabe tyrants who don't want any higher authority stopping them op

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ken levine ate my balls!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

John Murdoch posted:

Nobody mentioned it but the whole torture/lobotomy bit is in first person, too. :shepface:

The plot extensively, exhaustively inserts Elizabeth into the events of Bioshock 1. Literally every Thing you might remember from the first game (or rather its immediate backstory) is directly or indirectly her doing. Suchong slapping the Little Sister and getting got by the Big Daddy? Even that is recontextualized as involving Elizabeth.

Also she gets "collapsed" down to a single mortal woman, I guess to set the stakes, but what it actually comes down to is (spoilered for both spoilers and unpleasantness) her delivering the good ole genetic passphrase for Jack to Fontaine, who rewards her by beating her to death with a crowbar. It's okay though, she knows one day Jack will murder Fontaine so this is an acceptable sacrifice and penance for nearly murdering a little girl earlier in the story. :shepface: :shepface:,

Not a crowbar, a wrench!

THE Wrench!

Not even the trusty wrench is safe from this poo poo!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am confused by Myths of Rules, a text-based horror game by Chinese devs with a... workable translation. You click from node to node, drag nodes around, and it tells weird, interesting stories. I can't tell if they're helped by the weird translation or not, but it really feels like I've entered a strange, nightmarish like realm.

It's about 2$ so I'm happy but I don't know if I'd want this for any more... but man, I love the concept and would love to see more writers try it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

The whole Bioshock franchise can be ignored unless something about it really calls to you. I think they were somewhat overhyped at release and time has not been kind to them. There's nothing that isn't done better in the SS1 remake or SS2 if you can stand the retro or in Arkane games. The initial environment of 1 is quite good and has a distinct character, but the gameplay wasn't great and you spend an awful lot of time in mediocre combat to get the big Andrew Ryan moment. 2's gameplay is better, but it loses out for the environment no longer being as interesting. Infinite tries to use spectacle to paper over its gameplay mediocrity but it gets tedious well before the end.
Does Minerva's Den still hold up? Perpetually been meaning to give that a shot

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SelenicMartian posted:

The best part of Infinite are the credits, because they put in a behind the scenes bit where the VAs of Booker and Elizabeth do a musical number pretty well, and Ken comes in with stage directions only after they finish, and it turns out they were supposed to do it poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhPO2erAgr0&t=590s

:hmmyes: whatever the game's other faults, the soundtrack was remarkably enchanting. "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" is great, but the spiritual version of "Fortunate Son" is 10/10

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

StrixNebulosa posted:

Age of Fear effortpost

This game looks really interesting but the free version doesn't even start on steam deck for me. A bit odd since the dev seems to care about the deck.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Reckoned I'd try to remove all the steam waitlist games from isthereanydeal and then re-add them later just so I could go through the games I've added manually over the years and clear them out, but unlinking steam didn't do it, I think. The only other option I have is to remove all games from my waitlist at once, and that's not what I want. Anyone dealt with anything similar?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SavageMessiah posted:

This game looks really interesting but the free version doesn't even start on steam deck for me. A bit odd since the dev seems to care about the deck.

There is a post about troubleshooting the steam deck here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/882410/discussions/0/3783624583055560367/

I'd offer to help but I don't have a deck

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

So to the legions of goons who were asking about Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness earlier, I finished the game earlier today, on the default difficulty setting. My review is up:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/656549/recommended/1374930/

thank you for your service

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

StrixNebulosa posted:

There is a post about troubleshooting the steam deck here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/882410/discussions/0/3783624583055560367/

I'd offer to help but I don't have a deck

That post doesn't help because nothing would launch at all. I figured it out though. If anyone else tries Free World on deck you need to change the compatibility to the Linux runtime instead of proton. Also it doesn't show a cursor by default because it expects you to use the touchscreen but there's an option to turn it back on.

I've enjoyed the hour or so I've played of it, might actually get Total before the sale ends.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Bioshock’s legacy to me will forever be some YouTuber thinking that the game’s mention of Wounded Knee was a skyrim reference

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

thank you for your service

I forgot to mention in my review that a lot of people have complained about performance issues in Black Geyser. I was personally fine for most of my playthrough, but by the end I started getting FPS drops and increased loading times if I played for too long, which I could only solve by quitting and restarting the game. So keep that in mind as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

okay count me in on the Age of Fear train. Low-budget fantasy soldier pokemon games are my favorite genre :allears: This is kind of reminding me of the early days of Low Magic Age, except without the D&D trappings.

e: Oh my god one of the factions you can play as is modern-day marines that got sucked through a dimensional portal into this fantasy world. GOTY. You can also play as A Sandworm.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 28, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So next on the list is Control. Let's see what this one is about, I haven't played a proper FPS in a while. The vaguely pretentious opening narration had me rolling my eyes a bit, but on a positive note, the game runs buttery smooth on the default graphics settings (I'm not sure which year this was released so maybe that's not as impressive as it seems to me). A steady 144 FPS on my 1080p monitor so far.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It stays "vaguely pretentious" throughout, which is good because it's cool and great and the vibes loving rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Though this does also remind me of the time that the late Shamus Young tried to do an epic takedown of Bioshock by getting actual factual Libertarians to critique it and their overall conclusion was naturally that libertarianism wasn't the problem, Rapture was just bad at it. :lol:

Horseshoe theory wins again lmao