Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

eke out posted:

yeah i thought this was by far the best bit -- the grandma that's clearly trying very hard and probably thinking too much about saying the right pronouns when Rose is around but then messing up and anxiously apologizing to her daughter, that's downright subtle and realistic compared to the rest of the content.

I always thought that the plots for Russell's episodes were low to mid. His tone could be too silly and he could never stick the landing. What he was best at doing was THIS. The man made his character interactions so realistic and genuine. Many times, it could send one of Russell's episodes to a higher tier. The one that always sticks out in my mind is in "The End of Time" where The Doctor and Wilf are just sitting in a cafe talking. It was so vulnerable and so well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFBfUlefxg

someone sent me this and it's funny enough but goddamn that arrangement of the theme slaps (and yes, it even has the middle 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

goes well with some of the press photos for the 15th

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guessing this console room's a bit sterile because the final version is going to appear when Fifteen updates it in the same way that Twelve updated Eleven's without totally changing sets, except this time they planned it from the start.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 27, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgmZTqNsYDM

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...current Twitter trend is "rank the (revival) Doctor's opening stories now that we have a new one to add to the list"

Eleventh Hour/Deep Breath
Rose/Star Beast
Christmas Invasion/The Woman Who Fell To Earth

...Does Day of the Doctor count for War?

Could always throw the Classics in if you want as well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally watched it.

Goddrat I did not realize how much I missed the RTD era :allears:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smith and Capaldi and the relatively consistent quality of the Moffat era, but RTD is just more fun. Yeah the plot’s nonsense and the resolutions come out of nowhere, but that was a solid hour of two old friends having a crazy sci-fi adventure.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I was very pleased to hear the Doctor's theme again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Doctor Who commander decks feel like someone made a Doctor Who set and then just shoved it into 4 decks not quite at random. A lot of care has been taken for flavour, but the upshot is that a lot of the cards just don't synergise in the same way normal precons do (or at least should).

Vinylshadow posted:

Hm...current Twitter trend is "rank the (revival) Doctor's opening stories now that we have a new one to add to the list"

Eleventh Hour/Deep Breath

Good lord

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A minor detail I just realized about the latest episode, that I really appreciate: not only was the 'don't assume the Meep's pronouns' exchange really pleasingly brief in terms of showing the show's heart is in the right place on this, it actually provides a little bit of foreshadowing.

'The Meep is the genuine article' is a funny joke, but it's a little too grandiose for the Meep as it had appeared up to that point. ...which only makes sense, because the Meep's self-image actually is way higher than it's putting on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

'The Meep is the genuine article' is a funny joke, but it's a little too grandiose for the Meep as it had appeared up to that point. ...which only makes sense, because the Meep's self-image actually is way higher than it's putting on.

The Doctor's reply was pretty funny too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/ilyriversong/status/1728967218963366188?s=20

Interesting detail I don't think I've seen mentioned here. When the bullies deadnamed Rose, they called her Jason, which means that was the name Donna gave her at birth. According to RTD, the name Jason means doctor or healer, so that was another bit of Donna's previous memories leaking into her present, naming her child after The Doctor without realizing it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

According to RTD, the name Jason means doctor or healer,

It does, it's from greek

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Doctor and the Argonauts 🤔

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the general direction of the thread rn has me really thinking about the things that I like in this show. I tend to think of it like a SF variety magazine, where it's mostly distinct content that's pulled together under a given editorial eye, and with a few recurring characters. Viewing it this way I have no qualms about tone and style shifts from story to story.

Now I'm not great at maintaining an encyclopedic memory of all content, so there are often episodes that I completely forget about even though I love them, so my lists aren't necessarily exaustive but it brings me to this point:

I think that my favourite episodes of the show are the ones that explore some hard(er, relative to the show's norm) SF nugget at the premise, and then the rest of the story gets twisted around the implications of that bit. And I think that this means that my favourite episodes are, from the full 60 year run, surprisingly, all Moffat stories, and maybe even all Capaldi stories. These are the ones that come to mind:

World Enough and Time (sf premise: time dilation)
Heaven Sent (sf premise: trapping a person in an extremely long span of time)
Oxygen (sf premise: total corporate control)

By contrast, a lot of stories have a SF theme but not really any SF idea in them: I enjoy those too, but the most recent one for example just had "fantasy space thing" and "magic sun hypnosis" and "technobabble dagger drive, and others fall very on the "magic" side of the Clarke quotation - I'm not implying any objective hierarchy in that criticism, it's just a different kind of writing and a different taste. I'm more of a reader of Ursula Le Guin than I am a viewer of Star Wars. Those episodes get carried by silly fun and scenery-chewing performances by the talent, which is the secondary thing that I enjoy about the show.

Where are some other stories where the SF of the show gets slightly harder? And am I the only one who would love to see Ted Chiang write for Doctor Who?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh and World Enough and Time gets bonus points for taking its name from the work of one of my favourite seventeenth century poets, a poem which Le Guin also borrowed from

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

I was very pleased to hear the Doctor's theme again
Not related to the music, but that image-

I actually enjoyed the sonic screwdriver being used for weird magic poo poo this time because it was creative magic poo poo. I couldn't help but laugh as he slowly pushed those shields he drew into position.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Eiba posted:

Not related to the music, but that image-

I actually enjoyed the sonic screwdriver being used for weird magic poo poo this time because it was creative magic poo poo. I couldn't help but laugh as he slowly pushed those shields he drew into position.

Yeah, this was great. The fact it took time and effort as well means it's not just a magic solution in most shoot out situations.

It being able to project holograms its such a wonderfully useful tool for the writers to have, so I'm happy about that too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CommonShore posted:

the general direction of the thread rn has me really thinking about the things that I like in this show. I tend to think of it like a SF variety magazine, where it's mostly distinct content that's pulled together under a given editorial eye, and with a few recurring characters. Viewing it this way I have no qualms about tone and style shifts from story to story.

Now I'm not great at maintaining an encyclopedic memory of all content, so there are often episodes that I completely forget about even though I love them, so my lists aren't necessarily exaustive but it brings me to this point:

I think that my favourite episodes of the show are the ones that explore some hard(er, relative to the show's norm) SF nugget at the premise, and then the rest of the story gets twisted around the implications of that bit. And I think that this means that my favourite episodes are, from the full 60 year run, surprisingly, all Moffat stories, and maybe even all Capaldi stories. These are the ones that come to mind:

World Enough and Time (sf premise: time dilation)
Heaven Sent (sf premise: trapping a person in an extremely long span of time)
Oxygen (sf premise: total corporate control)

By contrast, a lot of stories have a SF theme but not really any SF idea in them: I enjoy those too, but the most recent one for example just had "fantasy space thing" and "magic sun hypnosis" and "technobabble dagger drive, and others fall very on the "magic" side of the Clarke quotation - I'm not implying any objective hierarchy in that criticism, it's just a different kind of writing and a different taste. I'm more of a reader of Ursula Le Guin than I am a viewer of Star Wars. Those episodes get carried by silly fun and scenery-chewing performances by the talent, which is the secondary thing that I enjoy about the show.

Where are some other stories where the SF of the show gets slightly harder? And am I the only one who would love to see Ted Chiang write for Doctor Who?

Christopher H. Bidmead's run as writer near the end of Tom Baker's era does a lot with pocket dimensions and entropy and suchlike.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally watched it.

Goddrat I did not realize how much I missed the RTD era :allears:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smith and Capaldi and the relatively consistent quality of the Moffat era, but RTD is just more fun. Yeah the plot’s nonsense and the resolutions come out of nowhere, but that was a solid hour of two old friends having a crazy sci-fi adventure.

I want to see the alternate universes where Tennant got one season under Moffat and Smith got one season under RTD.

Allegedly that first one almost happened

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My mom watched the new special last night with my eight year old nephew, who'd never seen the show before. It blew his mind. The fact that something as cute as The Meep could be evil was something that he'd never considered before. He can't wait til the next episode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoctorWhat posted:

Christopher H. Bidmead's run as writer near the end of Tom Baker's era does a lot with pocket dimensions and entropy and suchlike.

I remember the pocket dimenson stuff and I wasn't super jazzed with it on the terms at hand. It just wasn't that interesting - what if with difficulty we jumped to another setting where things were different but maybe we could get stuck there but we can jump back. Wasn't one of these a medieval, maybe Robin Hood, setting?

What's the entropy story?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, this was great. The fact it took time and effort as well means it's not just a magic solution in most shoot out situations.

It being able to project holograms its such a wonderfully useful tool for the writers to have, so I'm happy about that too.

Yeah I bet it's to spice up those scenes where he waves it around, stares at it and then technobabbles the plot out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

What's the entropy story?

Logopolis is a story about a planet of mathematicians who essentially have turned themselves into a giant computer where each is a vital component in running through the mathematical equations needed to hold entropy at bay. The Master starts randomly killing mathematicians because of course he does, so entropy starts taking hold of the universe so the Doctor and the Master work together to use a back-up system (conveniently located on Earth!) to stop hold entropy at bay again... at which point of course The Master tries to blackmail the universe with it because of course he does.

That's an oversimplification of the story and I'm probably missing/forgotten a few of the story beats, but I think that's largely it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was the best looking Doctor Who soecial/episode re: FX and creature design ever, IMHO.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My mom watched the new special last night with my eight year old nephew, who'd never seen the show before. It blew his mind. The fact that something as cute as The Meep could be evil was something that he'd never considered before. He can't wait til the next episode.

That's really something, I can't think of the name of the feeling, but I like the thought of getting to see a person get to experience a classic trope genuinely for the first time.

Part of why I'm really enjoying The Curse is it's making me feel things I haven't felt before, albeit all of them variations of cringe or discomfort, but still, the novelty of feelings and surprises you've never seen or felt before never gets old.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Logopolis is a story about a planet of mathematicians who essentially have turned themselves into a giant computer where each is a vital component in running through the mathematical equations needed to hold entropy at bay. The Master starts randomly killing mathematicians because of course he does, so entropy starts taking hold of the universe so the Doctor and the Master work together to use a back-up system (conveniently located on Earth!) to stop hold entropy at bay again... at which point of course The Master tries to blackmail the universe with it because of course he does.

That's an oversimplification of the story and I'm probably missing/forgotten a few of the story beats, but I think that's largely it.

Ohhh right. And my stained and crumpled mental file card for it indiciates that Logopolis was one of my favourites from that overall era. Is that the one that was on Pluto? That might deserve a rewatch soon.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

CommonShore posted:

Ohhh right. And my stained and crumpled mental file card for it indiciates that Logopolis was one of my favourites from that overall era. Is that the one that was on Pluto? That might deserve a rewatch soon.

No - the one on Pluto is Season 15’s The Sun Makers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The one on Pluto was much earlier, The Sun Makers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Sun Makers is perhaps better known by the name "The one where Robert Holmes was pissed off at the tax department."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinking about when I saw that teaser scene of Rose and the Meep, and I thought "I don't like that little fucker, all its lines read like they were written by someone trying to appeal to children who hadn't been anywhere near a child in fifty years"

Lol that that is literally what was going on

Also would like to see more of the polite nonlethal space lobsters

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed their ray guns weren't even scratching the paint on Donna's hubby's cab, and then a second later the Doctor pointed out that as a plot point and not just rushed SFX.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed their ray guns weren't even scratching the paint on Donna's hubby's cab, and then a second later the Doctor pointed out that as a plot point and not just rushed SFX.

My other half did the same

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I was "well, that's weird, they should be damaging things, at least blow up the car" but then they're revealed to be non leathal and I was "oh yea that makes sense".

The bug aliens were really neat, the practical and cgi looked solid. Though I thought through most of the special it was The Meat, not Meep.

So are we getting more Doctor/Donna adventures leading up to the new guy taking over? I had heard only about this special, but its listed as Special 1, and the ending makes it really clear there's going to be at least one more adventure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I was "well, that's weird, they should be damaging things, at least blow up the car" but then they're revealed to be non leathal and I was "oh yea that makes sense".

The bug aliens were really neat, the practical and cgi looked solid. Though I thought through most of the special it was The Meat, not Meep.

So are we getting more Doctor/Donna adventures leading up to the new guy taking over? I had heard only about this special, but its listed as Special 1, and the ending makes it really clear there's going to be at least one more adventure.

2 more the next 2 Saturdays, then Ncuti takes over at Xmas.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah I picked up on them being stun guns immediately because of that. Good foreshadowing.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

"Beep the Meat" sounds way too much like a euphemism...

I would have sworn that The Meep's voice was being done by John Kassir doing one of his "almost the Cryptkeeper but not quite" voices, especially once the reveal happened.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Doctor's reply was pretty funny too.
And a nice Fourth Doctor callback...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3CWXqUqPFA
...as was having the barrister's wig ready to go in the pocket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj_y0fX--gM

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, the iconic Beat the Meat...

quote:

Yes, two more then Gatwa time. Unless more shenanigans happen...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Warthur posted:

Yes, two more then Gatwa time. Unless more shenanigans happen...

…but not the ones you were expecting. :smugbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So according to this Deadline article, current DW writers will basically no longer be receiving residuals from repeats of the DW episodes they wrote. Instead of receiving a smaller initial fee plus residuals for repeats, they will receive a larger fee up front (but won't get any residuals for repeats). This apparently was part of the deal the BBC and/or Bad Wolf made to get Disney+ as the international streaming partner.

Not quite sure how I feel about this, but my gut reaction is that it's not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's absolutely a ripoff for the writers, I have to imagine writing a script for a show that has as long legs as Who can be a nice little residuals bump. Now Disney gets the benefit over time.