Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

is there a graphic setting that makes it easier to see in clouds? I go into one in a plane and can't see poo poo but then get annihilated by enemies who don't seem to have an issue.

I usually try to go vaguely by sound and point my nose sorta in that direction?

If you're a bit away outside of the cloud, you can maybe spot the dot that is the enemy plane. Then when you get closer, it becomes an actual 3D model and that is basically invisible in a cloud. So yeah it's basically flying by sound once you're in there. I've had some fun turnfights like that
Maybe the enemies could easily turn with you so once they were close enough to see you again, they just kept following your plane with the mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Some funky view angle waggling seems to make the dots appear or disappear. But yeah easy solution is just not go in a cloud gently caress clouds.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Clouds are really fun when they go down to like 100 feet off the ground, you can watch half your team lawn dart chasing an Il-2.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What are "strike aircraft"?

I figured it means "aircraft that use rockets" but I killed a couple of dudes with rockets and only have one kill towards the 'kill 20 dudes using strike aircraft' challenge.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Phanatic posted:

What are "strike aircraft"?

I figured it means "aircraft that use rockets" but I killed a couple of dudes with rockets and only have one kill towards the 'kill 20 dudes using strike aircraft' challenge.

Planes that say "strike aircraft" on the stat card and have a squished diamond icon

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
There are color coded icons in the tech tree. Green is strike aircraft, blue is bomber, red is fighter/interceptor/ect. If you're playing ground arcade, the middle plane icon gets you a strike aircraft (usually, there are a couple fighters mixed in there depending on what br you are playing.) You can double check by looking at the statistics screen while in a plane. If your name is next to a green plane you should expect credit for kills. Honestly, it's an overly complicated system.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Speaking of strike aircrafts, been spading the me 262 jabo in ground RB and gun velocity is sooo low have to basically close to point blank range to kill anything. And the various P-80s or varying types just seem so much better.

Any tricks? I basically just try to ambush unaware players at the top of their strafing loops, but run away like a coward if anyone tries to engage.

edit: ok sorta figured it out. hug terrain at like 700kph hide behind little mounds and pop out like surprise fucker! then zoom on away

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 26, 2023

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Speaking of strike aircrafts, been spading the me 262 jabo in ground RB and gun velocity is sooo low have to basically close to point blank range to kill anything. And the various P-80s or varying types just seem so much better.

Any tricks? I basically just try to ambush unaware players at the top of their strafing loops, but run away like a coward if anyone tries to engage.

edit: ok sorta figured it out. hug terrain at like 700kph hide behind little mounds and pop out like surprise fucker! then zoom on away

Tbh ambushing people at the top of their strafing loops is a very good way to go about things.

So the 262 A1: fast as hell, great manoeuvrability, doesn't give a poo poo about compression, short range but devastating firepower but has lovely acceleration. Flown right it clubs propeller aircraft, holds its own against other early jets, and things only really get rough in a full uptier. For the most part its pure boom and zoom but if you have a good advantage over your opponents with careful energy management you can pretend to be a Bf 109 and keep zoom climbing and diving on people. However if you burn all your energy that lovely acceleration becomes an issue because its going to take time to get up to speed again and you will be an easy target for anyone half paying attention.

I like the 262 A1 over the other early jets, it can do poo poo that will rip the wings straight off a Meteor. Can't say I especially like the later models though, the rocket boost is great but outside of that their handling is terrible.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Hey, I mostly play air (just got to t6) but I saw that the KA-50 is on sale for a pretty good deal (2000 GE and some game time) - can I play it in ground RB? will it only give me helicopter XP?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
You can play it in ground RB and indeed, it will only give heli experience.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If I wanted to get into this game today with no previous experience, is it pure suffering?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Kwolok posted:

If I wanted to get into this game today with no previous experience, is it pure suffering?

You'll probably do ok. When you first start, you'll be fighting against bots in arcade mode for a few matches before you're put into regular games. Lower tiers are pretty fun and you progress through them quick, so it's not super frustrating. Did you know what nation you wanted to play, and were you going to play ground, air, naval, or mix it up?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Punished Ape posted:

You'll probably do ok. When you first start, you'll be fighting against bots in arcade mode for a few matches before you're put into regular games. Lower tiers are pretty fun and you progress through them quick, so it's not super frustrating. Did you know what nation you wanted to play, and were you going to play ground, air, naval, or mix it up?

No loving clue!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Honestly the early to mid game is the best part. Dive in and have fun!

Props and boats are my jam and the sweet spot is around Tier 3ish

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Kwolok posted:

No loving clue!

Then yeah, try a little bit of everything to see what clicks. The 'Big 3' (US, Germany, and Russia) tend to have the most filled-out lineups, and the OP goes over some general strengths/weaknesses.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Seconding the OP if you're trying to decide what country to play. Really, any of them are fine for your first, except maybe China. Britain and especially France are kind of hard modes, and Italy is a bit weird but very fun. If you want a safe choice, Germany and Russia are great, and USA is pretty good. Switching countries is basically free, so don't feel like you have to stick with one if you're not enjoying it.

That covers ground vehicles, anyway. Air is more or less the same, and I have no idea about naval.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If I pick a country can I not switch?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Every country is independently researched for each tree. You can be full German tanks and full US planes for example. You are not limited in any way and it’s as simple as switching what your active country is.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

Every country is independently researched for each tree. You can be full German tanks and full US planes for example. You are not limited in any way and it’s as simple as switching what your active country is.

Right!

The game does ask you to pick a country when you first launch it, but that's so they can give you a free premium vehicle for that country to help you get started. It is absolutely not a permanent choice. (You only get one free premium tho.)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Also search around for a referral code or two, premium makes all the grind much shorter especially if you are leaning the ropes and you should be able to get two weeks free or so.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Kwolok posted:

era II is prob the most fun in the game. fwiw i've done basically everything in this game yet rolled like a dozen alts just to mess around in that range. once you figure out what kind of stuff you want to do it makes selecting a specific vehicle to focus on easier but every nation has good options

when you pair a plane you like with a tank you like and they're the same BR you'll start to see some really cool stuff

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Why exactly did you roll alts...? Just for the pleasure of unlocking everything all over again?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Yeah I never really got this, just go enjoy your aced stuff I guess?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The crew levels alone would stop me from ever starting over.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I think thief just likes to come up with novelty usernames

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
my main account is still chatbanned for like 30 years lol

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
and I thought I got toxic after being shot out of my tank before I could react. How'd you swing that?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Kwolok posted:

It’s arguably better than it was years ago and low tier is both a lot of fun and very forgiving.

The USSR is probably the easiest faction for new players as their tanks are great brawlers and a lot of their planes are great energy fighters so it’s a good combo for ground RB.

The hardest of the big 4 is probably Great Britain. Amazing planes, especially Spitfires, but their tanks are much harder to use than the others. That’s my view anyway.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Take that mostly unaware enemies! The dispersion gun upgrade super helps these guns, or maybe just got used to them.

7.0 wonder waffles lineup is great fun.

(sound available)
https://i.imgur.com/s7cX93n.mp4

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Good to see you're enjoying it, the 262 A is a fun plane.

Decided its been far too long since I had some fun in lower tier games and decided to take one of the best mediums in the game out for a spin, the mighty M4A2.

https://i.imgur.com/QdVOORY.mp4

An absolute monster of a tank. Decent mobility, good armour, stabilised gun that can deal with basically anything it encounters, speedy reload time and a 50 cal on the roof to boot. Angling your armour correctly nets you 100mm on the front and 90mm on the side and will bounce poo poo all day.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Follow up newbie question, what is the best control scheme to play this game with? Joysticks? Controllers? M/KB?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Definitely M/KB.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Some sim players make do with KB/M as well, it’s nuts.

I really feel for the console players out there, poor guys.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Third'ing M/KB, especially if you're going to play air

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If im coming back from a long break, and want to try my hand at the tanks (previously I always played aircraft), what would be the best way to smoothly ease through the long grind? If I am willing to spend money, are the premium tanks worth it for helping?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I said come in! posted:

If im coming back from a long break, and want to try my hand at the tanks (previously I always played aircraft), what would be the best way to smoothly ease through the long grind? If I am willing to spend money, are the premium tanks worth it for helping?

If you play regularly, a premium account is better. It confers additional benefits, like preventing you from losing money to repair costs. (And it'll help with researching aircraft, too, if you don't stick with tanks.)

Premium tanks are much more limited, since they only help for ranks 1 to their rank + 1, they only increase rewards for stuff you do in that tank, and of course they're only limited to the country you buy them in. If you're sure you want to stick to one country, then buying a premium tank isn't a bad idea, but a premium account will be more useful.
If you don't play regularly, well, a premium tank will always be there, while a premium account will run out.

Third option: buying a talisman for a non-premium tank. It's much cheaper than most premiums, but doesn't give you the increased SL gain or the benefit to researching lower ranks.

(If you plan to go France, I'm an advocate for buying the premium M4A1 to get you past the bad early tanks.)

Kwolok posted:

Follow up newbie question, what is the best control scheme to play this game with? Joysticks? Controllers? M/KB?

Nthing M/KB, it's much better than controller in general and better than joysticks for everything except Air Sim.
The devs actually have a patent for the mouse controls used in Air AB and RB.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I said come in! posted:

As some have mentioned on the discord - apparently around Christmas they tend to do another big sale on premium vehicles (and possibly premium time?) so if you're planning on spending some money might wanna limit yourself to just one in your chosen nation and splash out when the sale comes back.

And why yes, the T34-57 (1942) in USSR IS the correct option.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Seconding the "wait a month to spend any real money", though if you are just looking to buy a tier 2 premium to get started that's not gonna be that dramatic a difference. There's a lot of great options available for that, if you could narrow it down to which countries you want to take a look at it'd help with narrowing down suggestions to the no-brainers. Otherwise I could try to put together a list of what tier 2 and tier 3 premium tanks I'd recommend for each country.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Take that mostly unaware enemies! The dispersion gun upgrade super helps these guns, or maybe just got used to them.

7.0 wonder waffles lineup is great fun.

(sound available)
https://i.imgur.com/s7cX93n.mp4

What is the 262 armed with? mk108s? I recall the trajectory for those to be pretty bad unless you’re up real close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

What is the 262 armed with? mk108s? I recall the trajectory for those to be pretty bad unless you’re up real close

Yeah 108s, same as on the k4 I believe. Horrible muzzle velocity but since you've got 4 and they shoot pretty quick you can spray and pray when people cross your nose and get lucky most of the time.