Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Splicer posted:

Darkest Dungeon

This is a really good suggestion actually, and I never would have thought to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i3lueHorneT posted:

Okay thanks, I'll update my request then to include turn based tactics:

Been playing the Songs Of Silence demo & really liking it, anything similar?

Looking for pretty much what the Steam page description has: turn-based kingdom management, exploration, and hero development, contrasted with short and intense real-time battles.

I think typically these types of games have turn based battles right? Not looking for super grand like Total War epic battles with 100s of units in real time but the simplified semi-auto battler of SoS with some mild user direction was kinda cool - not sure if there's anything just like that or if it's all turn based grid combat.

Not entirely against turn based tactics here, just hoping for more than only TBT

Curious what's out there.

Age of wonders checks enough of these boxes that it's probably worth a look. The battles are a bit more involved than what you're looking for.

I can attest that 3, planetfall, and 4 are all great games and also have enough difference between them that I think you'd be better looking at each and seeing what fits you personally the most. 4 is pretty recent and is still in its DLC cycle, but its approach to faction creation is very different and the tactical system was simplified (in some ways that I think are pretty smart, even if I do prefer the older combat). I know a lot of people that prefer how 3 handled things, and of course planetfall is scifi and has its own radical design departures as a result.

1, 2, and shadow magic are not games I have played so I can not comment on them.

You may also want to take a look at conquest of elysium if you think you can stomach some dated and jank UI and design

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

i3lueHorneT posted:

Looking for pretty much what the Steam page description has: turn-based kingdom management, exploration, and hero development, contrasted with short and intense real-time battles.

I think typically these types of games have turn based battles right? Not looking for super grand like Total War epic battles with 100s of units in real time but the simplified semi-auto battler of SoS with some mild user direction was kinda cool - not sure if there's anything just like that or if it's all turn based grid combat.

Not entirely against turn based tactics here, just hoping for more than only TBT

Thea: The Awakening and its sequel, sorta? Build a village, leave characters there to do home stuff and send a party of other characters exploring and having adventures.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

i3lueHorneT posted:

Age of Wonders 4 just came out and it rules. The main feature that sets it apart from its immediate predecessors AOW3 and Planetfall is that you have full creative control over your custom factions and can fashion them into whatever silly tropey fantasy gimmick you want. I have a faction of crystal-huffing magic elf babes, industrious halfling artisans that build structures all over the map, ruthless goblin musketeers led by a dragon lord, a high council of holy frog warriors, basically anything your D&D-loving heart can imagine. The battles are turn-based, but there's enough variety and tactics to keep things interesting, and thankfully a fast-forward button to speed things up. It's in the middle of its DLC cycle, which can be either more or less compelling to you as the game will continue to evolve and receive balance patches over time. If you'd rather check out something more established, both AOW3 and Planetfall are by the same developers and also do the fantasy 4X kingdom builder with tactical combat thing very well.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

What is there in terms of horror games with actual gameplay (no walking sims) that most importantly don't have jump scares?

The ones I'm thinking of are Signals and Deadwood but I'll take anything with a good horror atmosphere, some kind of gameplay and no jump scares.

Nightmare of decay is short, but what's there is fun and the price is right. The Faith trilogy is really good and I think the first game is free so you can decide for yourself if you're into that style. The Count Lucanor is a good time and I've heard Yuppie Psycho is even better. I've also heard nothing but good things about My Friendly Neighborhood, and it has a pretty meaty demo - just waiting for it to go on a slightly deeper discount myself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Trick Question posted:

Nightmare of decay is short, but what's there is fun and the price is right.

I don't mean to be rude but as soon as I opened the steam page and saw that I burst out laughing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Faith absolutely has jump scares, though I'm squeamish with them too and I could through them

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This is a really good suggestion actually, and I never would have thought to make it.

It really is, and I'll also add Diablo 1. It's slower and much more survival horror than the others, and the GoG version runs fine on modern PCs.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm looking for some fairly modern games of any genre that have brain tingling loot drops, any recommendations ? :)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I'm looking for some fairly modern games of any genre that have brain tingling loot drops, any recommendations ? :)

What do you mean by brain tingling loot drops?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Deep Rock Galactic
Vampire Survivors

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic
Vampire Survivors

I learned this week that Vampire Survivors is also available on mobile and it's been sucking my time away this week. When I'm at my computer I end up wanting to play other games, but turns out it's an excellent pocket time waster when on the go (or when your father in law is describing in excruciating detail the animals he sees on his backyard camera).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Google Butt posted:

Get some friends, grab Lethal Company, and spend your nights screaming like terrified children as you try to get your loot safely back to your ship.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chip Cheezum's Kingdom Hearts LP has been making me realize how the PS2 has just a whole world of games that I never experienced since I had Nintendo consoles instead. I've also been playing Jedi Survivor and being reminded how much I like 3D platformers, and I guess I haven't played many from when the genre was more popular.

But right now, my computer is kind of a dying potato so emulation isn't an option, but I do have a PS5, so can I get recommendations on PS2 action game ports, remakes, their direct successors that I can play on modern consoles? I've also already played Beyond Good and Evil back when my computer was doing better. I also feel like I already know plenty about how many rpgs were on Playstation.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I believe you should have access to Ratchet & Clank games, which are consistently high-quality.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the jak and daxter games are a good grab too. the ps4 collection is the ps2 games being emulated for some reason, so don't expect updated graphics or anything

Halt!
Oct 11, 2008

Not really sure exactly what I'm looking for but basically I'm looking for a good Airplane Game, so something that plays well on the Steam Deck (whether on Steam itself or any sort of emulator) or a Switch or something would be ideal. I've been going through the 2D Pokemon games and romhacks, but I think I want something that kind of has that top-down overworld/turn-based combat feel but without any sort of party management. Probably some sort of RPG, happy to explore any sort of genre though.

I haven't really explored this space much at all so feel free to recommend even no-brainers, I probably haven't heard of them.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
The older finals fantasy are party based but are pretty sparse in management.

Any trad roguelike that has controller support: Tangledeep, Dungeonmans, Jupiter Hell are all turn based top down that you only manage the one character

Ronin is a few years old and was my airplane game last month. You are basically doing a kill bill one jump at a time. The combat is entirely turn based.

Into the breach, puzzle/tactics game that rules

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Halt! posted:

Not really sure exactly what I'm looking for but basically I'm looking for a good Airplane Game, so something that plays well on the Steam Deck (whether on Steam itself or any sort of emulator) or a Switch or something would be ideal. I've been going through the 2D Pokemon games and romhacks, but I think I want something that kind of has that top-down overworld/turn-based combat feel but without any sort of party management. Probably some sort of RPG, happy to explore any sort of genre though.

I haven't really explored this space much at all so feel free to recommend even no-brainers, I probably haven't heard of them.

I'll second the roguelike recommendation.

Not what you asked for, but I've found Vampire Survivor and the related copy-cats to be great airplane games.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Halt! posted:

If you can get an snes emulator working then aerobiz! Is a pretty good game about running an airline

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Halt! posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/666610/Endless_ATC/

+ more of an Airplane game than any JRPG
+ still a RPG (though only one class: Air Traffic Controller)
+ top-down overworld with mod support (mod your own local airport in!)
+ no party management
+ in fact no party at all

- real-time combat with multiple foes (need to win each individual f(l)ight before the fuel/crash timer expires)
- you need to add an option to the launch command for NPC voice synthesis to work on Steam Deck

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 27, 2023

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I got Cultist Simulator on sale a while back and finally played it. I liked the writing and atmosphere for the first couple of hours, and could even like the mechanics *in theory* but then it turned into an eternal grind where how to progress was insanely vague and tedious and I gave up.

Is there a good version of that sort of...spooky management sim RPG... game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sean10mm posted:

So I got Cultist Simulator on sale a while back and finally played it. I liked the writing and atmosphere for the first couple of hours, and could even like the mechanics *in theory* but then it turned into an eternal grind where how to progress was insanely vague and tedious and I gave up.

Strange Horticulture and it has the benefit of not being written by an rear end in a top hat!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Lobotomy Corporation, maybe

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cultist Simulator vibe games (but not made by assholes) rec list edition:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574580/Strange_Horticulture/ - sort your flowers, visit weird places, talk to people, maybe don't get drawn into the eldritch ritual that eats your bones

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/ - Japanese horror, almost more of a survival rpg but all menu-driven, find out what cults are up to in your town, has WEIRD combat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2539350/Myths_of_Rules/ - Chinese horror text game thing that's more adventure game and weirdly translated

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179080/FAITH_The_Unholy_Trinity/ - the movie the Exorcist but it's low-fi graphics and there's a cult and other weirdness; requires reflexes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315610/Source_of_Madness/ - side-scrolling platformer/combat thing where you're a cultist fighting gods; one of the only good uses of procgen monster design I've ever seen

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1457740/Stars_Die/ - first person pov walking sim adventure game about exploring a cathedral of flesh on a dying world

https://store.steampowered.com/app/568220/Lobotomy_Corporation__Monster_Management_Simulation/ - the only good SCP foundation game; you manage SCPs daily in a kind of colony/management sim and the story gets real weird and dark

https://store.steampowered.com/app/501320/The_Shrouded_Isle/ - lead a cult! your god wants flesh, so pick who needs to die.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274520/Darkwood/ - top down horror survival in a haunted forest that's growing too much; great eastern european setting

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490980/Daily_Chthonicle_Editors_Edition/ - congratulations you're in charge of a tabloid reporting only horror stuff! great concept, not great gameplay but it's neat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/403830/The_Consuming_Shadow/ - survival horror roguelite adventure where you KNOW a cult is summoning a god at stonehenge and if you don't disrupt the ritual it's all over.... but which god?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/284390/The_Last_Door__Collectors_Edition/ - pixel art horror adventure point n' click, has two seasons. imho first is better than the second, but both nail that "british man investigates haunted stuff, goes insane" vibe

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1189230/Door_in_the_Woods/ - remember nethack? what if that, but horror and you're going to die and your pistol has one bullet in it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1472060/Apollyon_River_of_Life/ - you are the cultist! roguelite text adventure board game thing where you sit down to the table to move tokens around and call out to otherworldly entities. sometimes they respond, which is bad for you. I really like it!

I have many many more horror recs but I'm trying to stick to things that at least vaguely fit the Cultist Sim vibe - managing things, cults, investigating the dark, etc.

If you want cultist sim but instead of vibe you want the gameplay (why) you want these:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948280/Stacklands/ - haven't played yet
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2229920/Temporian/ - haven't played yet; closest to buying because it's a) turn based, b) about a future person who has been stuck in the past and must recreate tech/society to return, and c) looks super weird and neat

In conclusion Strange Horticulture is really the closest in vibe to cult sim that I've seen, with the mixture of daily "life" management and weird cult stuff, and there's nothing out there quite like it... which makes me sad because the cultist sim dev's an rear end in a top hat.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 27, 2023

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

sean10mm posted:

The game became infinitely better for me the moment I cheated 500 moneys into the game. Just edit a number in a text file. Also:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Strange Horticulture and it has the benefit of not being written by an rear end in a top hat!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Stacklands is very simple but also way more fun than it has any right to be. It’s a cozy, chill kind of game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Book of Hours, made by the same predator, is a lot more robust and approachable game in the same setting, utilizing largely the same or similar gameplay principles. It expands and improves on pretty much every aspect of CS, but it still is going to have that layer of esoteric confusion that requires experimentation and paying close attention to text.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Really appreciate the suggestions! I'm gonna try Strange Horticulture. :ghost:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cultist Simulator vibe games (but not made by assholes) rec list edition:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574580/Strange_Horticulture/ - sort your flowers, visit weird places, talk to people, maybe don't get drawn into the eldritch ritual that eats your bones

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/ - Japanese horror, almost more of a survival rpg but all menu-driven, find out what cults are up to in your town, has WEIRD combat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2539350/Myths_of_Rules/ - Chinese horror text game thing that's more adventure game and weirdly translated

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179080/FAITH_The_Unholy_Trinity/ - the movie the Exorcist but it's low-fi graphics and there's a cult and other weirdness; requires reflexes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315610/Source_of_Madness/ - side-scrolling platformer/combat thing where you're a cultist fighting gods; one of the only good uses of procgen monster design I've ever seen

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1457740/Stars_Die/ - first person pov walking sim adventure game about exploring a cathedral of flesh on a dying world

https://store.steampowered.com/app/568220/Lobotomy_Corporation__Monster_Management_Simulation/ - the only good SCP foundation game; you manage SCPs daily in a kind of colony/management sim and the story gets real weird and dark

https://store.steampowered.com/app/501320/The_Shrouded_Isle/ - lead a cult! your god wants flesh, so pick who needs to die.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274520/Darkwood/ - top down horror survival in a haunted forest that's growing too much; great eastern european setting

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490980/Daily_Chthonicle_Editors_Edition/ - congratulations you're in charge of a tabloid reporting only horror stuff! great concept, not great gameplay but it's neat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/403830/The_Consuming_Shadow/ - survival horror roguelite adventure where you KNOW a cult is summoning a god at stonehenge and if you don't disrupt the ritual it's all over.... but which god?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/284390/The_Last_Door__Collectors_Edition/ - pixel art horror adventure point n' click, has two seasons. imho first is better than the second, but both nail that "british man investigates haunted stuff, goes insane" vibe

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1189230/Door_in_the_Woods/ - remember nethack? what if that, but horror and you're going to die and your pistol has one bullet in it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1472060/Apollyon_River_of_Life/ - you are the cultist! roguelite text adventure board game thing where you sit down to the table to move tokens around and call out to otherworldly entities. sometimes they respond, which is bad for you. I really like it!

I have many many more horror recs but I'm trying to stick to things that at least vaguely fit the Cultist Sim vibe - managing things, cults, investigating the dark, etc.

If you want cultist sim but instead of vibe you want the gameplay (why) you want these:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948280/Stacklands/ - haven't played yet
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2229920/Temporian/ - haven't played yet; closest to buying because it's a) turn based, b) about a future person who has been stuck in the past and must recreate tech/society to return, and c) looks super weird and neat

In conclusion Strange Horticulture is really the closest in vibe to cult sim that I've seen, with the mixture of daily "life" management and weird cult stuff, and there's nothing out there quite like it... which makes me sad because the cultist sim dev's an rear end in a top hat.

drat im quoting this so i can come back to this rad post later and play all these cool vidyas, thank you for answering that other poster's question so thoroughly

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hello recommendos! Are there are 4x games that don't involve combat at all? I've got an itch for something like that, but all I've ever really played is civ and for some reason the combat in that stresses me out.

Maybe a weird ask.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Well, by definition, no. If there were no conflict it wouldn't be a 4X game.

Just playing Civ with the Always Peace option (I think that goes back to at least Civ 4) doesn't do it for you?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

External Organs posted:

Hello recommendos! Are there are 4x games that don't involve combat at all? I've got an itch for something like that, but all I've ever really played is civ and for some reason the combat in that stresses me out.

Maybe a weird ask.

I don't think so, but let me look... fake edit: Okay, none of the 4Xes I have have NO combat, but depending on your preferences they can do auto-battle for you, or have different kinds of combat so it's not Civ style.

Thea the Awakening has less of a focus on combat - but it does have combat. But it's card battles? I think? Been a while

Terra Invicta has weird space combat

Shadow Empire is a wargame with hexes, so combat is SUPER involved

Space Tyrant has a neat little grid combat system, it's very simple and fast

Rogue State Revolution doesn't have as much focus on combat IIRC

The Last Federation is weird in that you're a single unit playing in a 4X, trying to influence the other factions, and combat is rare/weird.

Endless Legend, alongside Age of Wonders and Age of Wonders Planetfall have XCOM style combat + auto-battle.

Eador has turn-based battles.

Conquest of Elysium has auto-battles, kinda.

and Distant Worlds Universe has auto-battles. and auto-everything you can turn the full AI on and not touch the game.

Edit: I guess my bigger question is, what do you want out of a 4X?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

Maybe a weird ask.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Endless Legend, alongside Age of Wonders and Age of Wonders Planetfall have XCOM style combat + auto-battle.

That's not accurate.

Age of Wonders has tactical combat.
Endless Legend (and Endless Space) has just you deciding general strategy and watching an auto-battle.

I highly recommend Endless Space 2 as a "I don't wanna bother with playing the combat" 4X.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually there is a good 4X game with absolutely no combat at all. Slipways.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That's not accurate.

Age of Wonders has tactical combat.
Endless Legend (and Endless Space) has just you deciding general strategy and watching an auto-battle.

I highly recommend Endless Space 2 as a "I don't wanna bother with playing the combat" 4X.

Thank you for correcting me, I enjoyed Endless Legend but haven't touched it since 2017

Jack Trades posted:

I have heard a lot of praise for this game and should pick it up over the xmas sale

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think so, but let me look... fake edit:

Thea the Awakening has less of a focus on combat - but it does have combat. But it's card battles? I think? Been a while

Edit: I guess my bigger question is, what do you want out of a 4X?

Whoah. This sounds interesting, im gonna check it out.

There's just something about setting up little systems and seeing progress in those systems, solving problems, and clicking next turn... I just hate barbarians and armies and blah.

I *should* try civ on peace mode. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Slipways also sounds realllllly neat. Wishlisted!! Thanks for the awesome responses, all.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Came here to post this. It’s hard to call it a “pure” 4X, it’s more of an optimization puzzle game, but it definitely scratched the itch for me. It’s also rife with options so you can tailor it a bit to your desired difficulty and session length

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Civ IV, domination victory only, no wars allowed is actually fun. Google "culture mongers" for some playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

My 13 year old nephew is getting a PS5 for Christmas, and will need games. I have no idea what decent games are currently out for the system, because I've been out of that part of the console ecosystem for quite a while. Skimming lists is of limited use, because so many modern games don't actually tell you what kind of game they are.

Horror games are the obvious priority - he's downright obsessed with FNAF - but anything that's good is worth the mention. Age rating isn't too important, that's for his mother to filter out.