Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:lmao:

Feels like it's been a while since we've had a simple, ridiculously obviously bullshit sci-fi technology claim. Really hits that nostalgia button :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

wow sounds awesome sign me up

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
that dumb tweet made me want to dig up every tweet Elon Musk has made about "philosophy", didn't post the ones that were him just saying "this is my philosophy" to a deleted/hidden tweet.
not surprised its just sci fi books and effective altruism

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"i get my philosophy from douglas adams" says the guy who would have been on the B ark with the telephone sanitizers

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

"i get my philosophy from douglas adams" says the guy who would have been on the B ark with the telephone sanitizers

He's the QA guy in that team making sure all the phones are unsanitary first

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

mannerup posted:

A new philosophy of the future is needed. I believe it should be curiosity about the Universe

He just keeps innovating!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disrupt the Universe!
Innovate the Multiverse!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

redshirt posted:

Disrupt the Universe!
Innovate the Multiverse!

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was reading LTI, a memoir of a Jewish language professor who survived WW2, and that one thing that struck me as being similar in the language of the Third Reich and of the type of capitalists that champion Musk et al is the excess of superlatives.

But after finishing it, I noted another similarity - the celebration of action for action's sake. To move fast and break things. There's a deliberate encouragement to stop people from reflecting and considering in both philosophies.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

*slow clap*

He did it. The crazy son of a bitch actually did it! He won!!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

lmao

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BBC News calling Twitter “X” now, without qualifier, and talking about it being a long established platform.

Dunno why but it irritates me. Other places don’t seem to have swallowed the ridiculous rebrand, yet.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

mannerup posted:

that dumb tweet made me want to dig up every tweet Elon Musk has made about "philosophy", didn't post the ones that were him just saying "this is my philosophy" to a deleted/hidden tweet.
not surprised its just sci fi books and effective altruism

Molly White wrote a good newsletter about effective altruism yesterday, how it’s self serving and used by rich tech folks who tend to harbour terrible views. Not surprised Musk would be into it.

Effective obfuscation
Silicon Valley’s “effective altruism” and “effective accelerationism” only give a thin philosophical veneer to the industry’s same old impulses.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

I'm Irish and would have a concern or two about that bill being either misused or, far more likely, being useless. However I look at the chuds who are cranky about it and feel some hope it might be one of those leopards that only eat the faces of the people I want it to.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
EA is a libertarian affirming philosophy but it's also turned into a boogieman amongst the crypto crowd precisely because SBF used it to launder his reputation and SBF is soy and woke and EA is by extension also soy and woke.

Hence when the OpenAI coup and countercoup happened alot of speculation there revolved around the fact that one member of their non-profit governance board was tangentially linked to EA. And now that EA is basically dead (rightfully so), and there will no longer be governance guard-rails put on the software, in a few months you wll be able to get ChatGPT to spit out the N-word and reasons as to why the white race is superior.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

EA is a libertarian affirming philosophy but it's also turned into a boogieman amongst the crypto crowd precisely because SBF used it to launder his reputation and SBF is soy and woke and EA is by extension also soy and woke.
The fact SBF ruined Efficient Altruism alongside cryptos' public credibility is the best.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Are there any Irish goons who can let me know what the gently caress he's talking about now?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1728936946049974650

Late last week a teacher and some kids were hospitalised by a knife wielding drug addict with a history of violent offenses. Far right groups focused on the fact that the attacker was an immigrant (attained citizenship 20 years ago) and whipped dissatisfied youth up into a frenzy, leading to some of the worst rioting we've seen in the country to date.

The Irish public at large are pissed at both the groups and Elon for taking advantage of the incident to further their racist bullshit. As a nice palate cleanser, the lives of the victims were saved by an immigrant delivery driver and a gofundme asking everyone in Ireland to buy him a pint each has raised over €320k last time I checked.

There is a very real problem in Ireland right now with high recidivism for violent crime and rampant drug abuse exacerbating anti-social behaviour. Thanks to the British funded far right and idiots like Elon, the conversation is now about slippery slopes with hate speech legislation and the value of closing borders instead of how to approach the very real cause behind these incidents.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Further Reading posted:

Late last week a teacher and some kids were hospitalised by a knife wielding drug addict with a history of violent offenses. Far right groups focused on the fact that the attacker was an immigrant (attained citizenship 20 years ago) and whipped dissatisfied youth up into a frenzy, leading to some of the worst rioting we've seen in the country to date.

The Irish public at large are pissed at both the groups and Elon for taking advantage of the incident to further their racist bullshit. As a nice palate cleanser, the lives of the victims were saved by an immigrant delivery driver and a gofundme asking everyone in Ireland to buy him a pint each has raised over €320k last time I checked.

There is a very real problem in Ireland right now with high recidivism for violent crime and rampant drug abuse exacerbating anti-social behaviour. Thanks to the British funded far right and idiots like Elon, the conversation is now about slippery slopes with hate speech legislation and the value of closing borders instead of how to approach the very real cause behind these incidents.

In fairness, there are two other factor to this incident. One was how the Far Right in Ireland have not been challenged by the State in the last few years.
I don't just mean in the sense of "Far Right groups went out to protest about whatever and were allowed do so."
More that there has been a steady escalation in what the Far Right has been doing without any form of pushback. (From arson attacks on hotels that were alleged to house asylum seekers, to vast intimidation of public library staff "for being groomers" to setting up of "checkpoints" by vigilantes to stop busses with migrants on board.)
Things came to a head last month with a large group mobilising outside the Government building and threatening elected representatives. (Full on gallows stuff.)

Now at this point you'd imagine that the State would go "this Far Right stuff is out of hand. Now that we were threatened, it's time to Hit Back! (tm)

But no, the Government just put up extra security fences around their building and went back to business as usual. Then the Riots n Thursday happened, and a bunch of people are asking questions about are the Far Right being emboldened by light touch Policing.

The second big feature has been the Minister for Justice and the Garda Commissioner (Head Cop) have had not great couple of months and the knives were already out for them to a greater or lesser extent. This riot really makes them look bad and they have to be seen as doing something, hench the argument "we need legislation to go after people inciting hate!"

(Now make no doubt, online Right Wing agitators absolutely played a big part in what went down on Thursday. )

But yeah, Elon not cracking down on Far Right agitators because "Free Speech" also has to be looked at.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Those pesky Irish always trying to take away free speech

!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr Scumbag posted:

He just keeps innovating!

It really is remarkable that until elon musk came along, nobody thought to be curious about the universe. Truly we owe a massive debt to the man.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Durzel posted:

BBC News calling Twitter “X” now, without qualifier, and talking about it being a long established platform.

Dunno why but it irritates me. Other places don’t seem to have swallowed the ridiculous rebrand, yet.

BBC is very much a 'both sides' news org. They'll loose funding if they stop. It's very likely that the oversight group for BBC has hit their quota on chuds screaming in emails at them that the site is called X and why do you keep mentioning twitter.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
There's a timeline where young Elon tries the Hari Seldon working out the pattern in a stampede thing but he instantly gets wiped out when he stands in the middle to prove it.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Holy poo poo I just drove by our local Tesla dealership and there it was, a beautiful Cybrtruck sitting right in the middle of the showroom

I gotta go see this during business hours before someone snatches it up!

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
So Tesla is apparently suing the Swedish government now because the postal service refuses to give them plates for any new cars, because of the union strike?
This will probably end well for Elong

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tai posted:

BBC is very much a 'both sides' news org. They'll loose funding if they stop. It's very likely that the oversight group for BBC has hit their quota on chuds screaming in emails at them that the site is called X and why do you keep mentioning twitter.

75% of those emails being from elon

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It really is remarkable that until elon musk came along, nobody thought to be curious about the universe. Truly we owe a massive debt to the man.
All the man wants is to coin something pithy that'll show up on a smart quotes website without having to do any of the deep thinking that requires thinkers to compartmentalise their thoughts.

So he says stuff like "It is in the act of thinking that we think to act."

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Handcranked posted:

So Tesla is apparently suing the Swedish government now because the postal service refuses to give them plates for any new cars, because of the union strike?

Thermo nuclear strike incoming

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Handcranked posted:

I can't find any news on this, other than that it does appear to be happening. I'd love to hear what Elon thinks this will do, I'm assuming decent odds that the suit directly cites the Taft-Hartley act or something.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I still lol at the thought that Elon Musk shitposting on twitter about the Swedish Union will only make it worse for him, because most Swedes will only think he's a bigger idiot that threatens one of the fundamental principles of Nordic work markets

It's mind baffling stupid and will only lead to a bunch of people looking closer at Teslas practices

Spis bæsj og dø, Elektrobutikk Moskus

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Anders posted:

Spis bæsj og dø, Elektrobutikk Moskus
Congrats to Elon and his surrogate.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

snoremac posted:

All the man wants is to coin something pithy that'll show up on a smart quotes website without having to do any of the deep thinking that requires thinkers to compartmentalise their thoughts.

One might say he is enlightened by his intelligence.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

snoremac posted:

Someone should send Elon a copy of "Mystery Men" so he can just quote the Sphinx.

Then again with Elon he doesn't so much watch other media, as read someone else's summary of that media and posts about how it's his favourite.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Thing is with the lawsuit, Transportstyrelsen did its job, they made the plates. They sent them PostNord who is doing a sympathy strike iirc, and I mean can’t Tesla:

A. Get the plates with another courier (lol if any other courier will work with them)
B. Go pick up the plates themselves
C. Dra åt skogen

I don’t think they can force PostNord to send the plates out as the workers have a right to sympathy strike.

Not to mention, this may start to involve the EU as the word discrimination was used, and if the EU is involved in any sort of matter, this lawsuit will take years.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

snoremac posted:

/

Edit: son of a bitch!

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can't find any news on this, other than that it does appear to be happening. I'd love to hear what Elon thinks this will do, I'm assuming decent odds that the suit directly cites the Taft-Hartley act or something.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-sues-sweden-over-blocked-license-plates-business-daily-di-reports-2023-11-27/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Handcranked posted:

Gonna take the postmaster general to the International Criminal Court in The Hague

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He really is the dumbest gently caress on this planet, maybe in this universe.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Why is fox news airing a segment on Elon musk visiting Israel

It's all just so stupid

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would like him to cite the "philosophy" he thinks he's gotten from Douglas Adams

The part about how nobody who seeks power should be allowed to hold it, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

holtemon posted:

Why is fox news airing a segment on Elon musk visiting Israel

It's all just so stupid

he's gonna sue hamas and fix everything