Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Slanderer posted:

My theory is that Ash is or will become a dustbringer, and Taln a stoneward. Apologies if this wasn't explicitly stated in Oathbringer (i forget if its in OB or not), but the Heralds were not members of their associated radiant orders. The orders were shaped around the way that the surges had been divided for the heralds and their honorblades. Nale eventually bonded a spren and joined his order, but we don't know for sure about any of the others. Ash has presumably spent a lot of time destroying and defacing images and icons of herself, which fits with the dustbringer's vibe. I mean, she also disguises herself but not very well, and also its not the focus of her insanity.

I would discount Adolin, because I suspect his sword was of an order than is already represented. Go back and re-read the description of Maya in shadesmar and her variety of spren becomes clear.

Of course it could have just been an error on Dalinar's part! He had a lot going on just then.

Full OB spoilers:
Yeah Nale said he was unique in joining his own Radiant Order, I hadn't actually considered that some of they might join other orders. At this point I don't actually know what surges the Heralds do or don't have, so I'm not sure how motivated they'd be to join Orders.

I've said that Maya seems like a vinesprern, I assume that's what you're getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

Full OB spoilers:
Yeah Nale said he was unique in joining his own Radiant Order, I hadn't actually considered that some of they might join other orders. At this point I don't actually know what surges the Heralds do or don't have, so I'm not sure how motivated they'd be to join Orders.

I've said that Maya seems like a vinesprern, I assume that's what you're getting at.

OB Spoilers As far as has been shown up to the end of OB Heralds don't really have any powers outside being immortal without their honorblades, unless they have joined an order or got power from some other source.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 27, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

socialsecurity posted:

OB Spoilers As far as has been shown up to the end of OB Heralds don't really have any powers outside being immortal without their honorblades, unless they have joined an order or got power from some other source.

Rhythm of War and Word of Brandon spoilers:
That seems about right. Apparently, while Honor was alive, they had a direct connection to him due to the Oathpact. Thus they had basically infinite stormlight, negating the biggest drawback of the honorblades in being much less stormlight efficient than spren bonded knights radiant. With Honor dead, and the Oathpact frayed to near-uselessness, they probably need to get stormlight the way everybody else does.

They are still connected with each other and could feel when Jezrien was killed, but I think that's the only power besides immortality that they have retained without their blades.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

socialsecurity posted:

Taln is freakishly strong and fast, and Ishar just absolutely clowning an entire regiment of Radiants single-handedly can’t all be put down to the honorblade.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Rhythm of War and Word of Brandon spoilers:
That seems about right. Apparently, while Honor was alive, they had a direct connection to him due to the Oathpact. Thus they had basically infinite stormlight, negating the biggest drawback of the honorblades in being much less stormlight efficient than spren bonded knights radiant. With Honor dead, and the Oathpact frayed to near-uselessness, they probably need to get stormlight the way everybody else does.

They are still connected with each other and could feel when Jezrien was killed, but I think that's the only power besides immortality that they have retained without their blades.

that plus all their knowledge and experience which certainly isn't insignificant, even if they are slightly insane

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

[all stormlight]

Notably, the Stormfather directly says that Ishar is only an average warrior among the Heralds and absolutely not the most dangerous in a standard fight, either. The baseline Herald is like "can 360 no scope a squadron of the current era's most accomplished Radiant warriors without having to use their powers" (though to be fair the windrunner crew may have eventually prevailed using their powers if Ishar hadn't started to do batshit Connection things to them)

With Rashek dead, I think they are literally the most dangerous people in the Cosmere in a fight at this point, power-level wise (although anything from Elantris is a wild card, they seem to be just full wizards that can break all the rules so who knows)

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 27, 2023

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Taln is freakishly strong and fast, and Ishar just absolutely clowning an entire regiment of Radiants single-handedly can’t all be put down to the honorblade.

Ishar had his honorblade though, which is why he could use his bondsmith powers and fuvk with Connection, right?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pretty sure it's all a skill thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Ishar had his honorblade though, which is why he could use his bondsmith powers and fuvk with Connection, right?

iirc before that he's pirouetting around and doing the kung fu master thing where he effortlessly dodges and redirects all attacks. it's the honorblade that lets him actively own them offensively though yeah

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Sunlit man and stormlight archive spoilers: did anyone else get the vibes that maybe this planet is the ancient homeworld of the Rosharan colonists? There was mention that there was an exodus from the planet with some people left behind. Sigzil also points out that the planet seems to be attracting Investiture to its core in a direct line from the sun. Could be that the ancient inhabitants eventually needed such vast amounts of Investiture that they thought they could just siphon energy from the sun, only to turn their homeworld into a slowly shrinking, partially-molten drag strip. It’s also curious that Sig notes the orbital anomalies of the planet with respect to size, rotation speed, and distance from the sun, all of which would be thrown off-kilter by nuking half the mass of the planet with magic at all times.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sunlit I would laugh if Sigzil had accidentally jumped to Ashyn without realizing it. But I don't think that tracks with any of the information we know about it being previously habitable while having a virology based investiture system from Cultivation.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lawnie posted:

Sunlit man and stormlight archive spoilers: did anyone else get the vibes that maybe this planet is the ancient homeworld of the Rosharan colonists? There was mention that there was an exodus from the planet with some people left behind. Sigzil also points out that the planet seems to be attracting Investiture to its core in a direct line from the sun. Could be that the ancient inhabitants eventually needed such vast amounts of Investiture that they thought they could just siphon energy from the sun, only to turn their homeworld into a slowly shrinking, partially-molten drag strip. It’s also curious that Sig notes the orbital anomalies of the planet with respect to size, rotation speed, and distance from the sun, all of which would be thrown off-kilter by nuking half the mass of the planet with magic at all times.

The humans on Roshar came from Ashyn (also in the Rosharan system, what they call the Tranquiline Halls in the Vorin religion). The humans on Sunlit man planet are descendants of people from the Threnody system.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

re: sunlit man

at the most recent event brandon was asked directly about the weirdness surrounding that planet and said that it was Canticle was created by a very powerful entity for a purpose.

so i am guessing the part where it is storing massive amounts of investiture in its core and steadily accumulating it means that eventually all that juice will be used for Something

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure it's all a skill thing.

It's because (Oathbringer spoilers) the Heralds are all ancient aliens.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My guess: a big egg

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am very curious where Marsh is in the cosmere mortal pecking order.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Number one has gotta be the Warbreaker king, right? (Non-shards)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finished the 3 Elantris stories. I really enjoyed The Emperor's Soul a lot though it had essentially no connection to the main Elantris story. It really felt like there was no need to make it part of the "Elantris" world.

Hope of Elantris was alright as a short story. Elantris itself was kinda eh. I see I was close but not quite right on why the Aons didn't work. The back half of the book seemed like it had some twists that weren't really setup well though. I skipped the extra cut chapters in the 10th anniversary edition as I didn't really care about them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished the 3 Elantris stories. I really enjoyed The Emperor's Soul a lot though it had essentially no connection to the main Elantris story. It really felt like there was no need to make it part of the "Elantris" world.

Hope of Elantris was alright as a short story. Elantris itself was kinda eh. I see I was close but not quite right on why the Aons didn't work. The back half of the book seemed like it had some twists that weren't really setup well though. I skipped the extra cut chapters in the 10th anniversary edition as I didn't really care about them.

My favorite moment of the Elantris story is the culmination of Sarene teaching the noblewomen fencing. We spend mulitple chapters of her setting this up and teaching them. And then during the attack, they get their moment! Nope lol jk, they're all immediately defeated and accomplish nothing. Aren't you glad we wasted all of that time on Sarene instead of a good character like Hrathen?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Tokelau All Star posted:

I can only imagine the insanity Vasher could get up to with God King powers. He didn't have close to the power the king has now and he sure as gently caress had the combat experience and intelligence to crush just about everything beforehand. Give him years more of constant Breath infusion and give that poo poo to Vasher and you've got one hell of a monster

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tokelau All Star posted:

Hoid, doubly so by the end of Tress. Susebron has >50k but probably less than 150k Breaths. That makes him a power house in one specific area, however Hoid now has collected at least seven different power sets

also in the running - Sunlit Sig definitely has more overall investiture than him, but doesn't have enough Nalthis "breath" specifically for heightening. He has to have the equivalent BEU of the 9th Heightening to skip around, and it seems like he does that every few weeks. I am unclear if when receiving Breaths Sig would convert them directly to BEU's or if they remain useable for heightening's until consumed raw.

And I figure a few of the Heralds might be better, not to mention wildcards like Nightblood. I'd bet Marsh could take on Susebron and Heralds just fine.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I see I was close but not quite right on why the Aons didn't work.
You were so close! And you were definitely thinking about it right, it was a very good guess.

Elantris is a terribly flawed novel but it's also Sanderson's first published novel and he hasn't repeated most of those mistakes again, so, what can you do. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hey pik_d and Mordiceius, there's a fun exercise some of us practice, to make a prediction what the major story beats of the next book will be. We usually do this either before the first chapters are released on Tor.com, of a few chapters in. It's actually quite fun to go back and see how much one guesses right (not that much, most often), and how much is hilariously wrong (most of my predictions, sadly). So perhaps you'd be interested in predicting RoW/Oathbringer before you start those books?

I really hope Mordiceius finishes Rhythm of War before the Stormlight 5 spoiler season starts. Tor.com releases the first few chapters of each major Sanderson book (for Oathbringer, they released 32 chapters, the entirety of Part 1) in small batches, and it's a wonderful time. We go over these chapters with a fine comb, trying to tease out any hidden bit of info, grappling with the big implications of the plot beats, enjoy reading about our favorite characters, and just all around having a blast. I would really love to see both of your reactions to that special time of the year. :)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm just about to wrap on WoR Part 1. So I'm making progress! Greatly enjoying this book so far. Didn't end up listening at all last week but I was laid up with a nasty bout of food poisoning and then the holiday. So far, I've enjoyed the first 6 hours of Words of Radiance more than I enjoyed the first 30 hours of Way of Kings!

Only 170 hours of audiobook left! Being that KoWT is a year away, I assume the chapters will be a few months prior. With my current pacing, I figure I should make it in time.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Always satisfying when your bullying friends to read Sanderson pays off, you get them to try a hit and they want more. The Disco Elysium quote is also pertinent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Louisgod posted:

Always satisfying when your bullying friends to read Sanderson pays off, you get them to try a hit and they want more. The Disco Elysium quote is also pertinent.

Congrats on your great success. There can never be too many Sanderson readers. I guess none of them are goons?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Nope they're all normal

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Sunlit my guess is that the planet was created or altered so that it would be an investiture generator. That's why the Scadrians are monitoring it. I think the Threnodians on the surface either are the descendants of whoever engineered it or they had the misfortune of getting stuck there somehow. I need to reread it because I'm sure I'm missing some key points that would be destroy this theory

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Is that the reading order, or just a checklist?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm reading Lost Metal, haven't got to Yumi or Sunlit Man yet, but I have some thoughts that are bugging me.

Who the hell are all these worldhoppers? How are there enough of them to support entire cities and trade economies like Silverlight? Is Yolen still around at this point? Is that where they all come from?

If they're so knowledgeable and powerful, why aren't they doing more to combat Odium and Autonomy? Wouldn't Odium and Autonomy "winning" mess up their poo poo too? It's real nagging when all the bad guys have all the knowledge, and the heroes get barely filled in on what's really going on. Kelsier and the Ghostbloods seemed much more influential and strong in Stormlight than they are coming across here.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fezz posted:

Is that the reading order, or just a checklist?

Looks like reading order to me. Something looks off about it but I can't put my finger on it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Stormlight Words of Radiance Prologue-End of Part 1

Oh hey!!! I like this book so far!!!!

Gonna be fairly brief (relatively speaking) with my comments. Somewhat attacking this chronologically, but also partially just my random thoughts/notes I wrote down.

- Prologue was good. I like Jasnah. I feel like it did have the problem of "here are bunch of characters we may or may not return to 50-200 hours from now." I already can't remember the assassin's name. I'm sure she'll show up at some point. But for now, I can't even remember her. Let alone other details. Like there was certain attention paid to two dudes in the hallway at one point. I'm sure they're important but :shrug:.

Stormlight definitely feels like a series that, post Stormlight 5, I may do something unprecedented......... a re-read.
I'm sure that 99% of the time during a re-read, people are basically doing the "Leo points at screen" pose.

- Shallan rules. Jasnah rules. DudesChicks rock.

- Absolutely zero chance Jasnah is dead. She's too interesting and unique of a character to kill off in such an unceremonious way. I'm not sure if we're actually supposed to believe she's dead but I don't.

- I assume all of the sailors died? (good job, Shallan! lol) It was wild that Shallan peaces out and and we have zero clue if anyone else survived.

- Got our first Shallan flashback. Shardblade???? There's something weird going on. There was a moment in the first book I picked up where I thought Shallan was referencing having a shardblade. Multiple times she has referenced "ten heartbeats" and there's only one reason to think in that unit of time...

- The Navani epigraphs are great. Those alone are better than any of the epigraphs in Way of Kings just because I can make sense of them.

- Kaladin continues to be loving annoying. "I can't tell anyone of this power. THEY WILL TAKE IT FROM ME." What the gently caress are you even going off about, dude? I like that people call him out on this.

- Lopen is a proto-Wayne. Michael Kramer uses the same voice for Lopen and Wayne and that doesn't help the situation.

- The Alethi suck and I'm getting really tired of their bullshit. Maybe the Parshendi were right to assassinate Gavilar if this is the people he ruled over. They're all insufferable.

- I really hope that this entire book doesn't take place in the Shattered Plains. Like Dalinar, I'm ready to move the gently caress on from this war with the Parshendi. If we spend 90% of this book at the Shattered Plains, like we did with Way of Kings, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Overall current assessment, book is good so far. Excited and curious to keep going. Already over Kaladin's bullshit. Want more time with Shallan.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Louisgod posted:

Looks like reading order to me. Something looks off about it but I can't put my finger on it.

WoR is labeled as SA3

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm reading Lost Metal, haven't got to Yumi or Sunlit Man yet, but I have some thoughts that are bugging me.

If they're so knowledgeable and powerful, why aren't they doing more to combat Odium and Autonomy? Wouldn't Odium and Autonomy "winning" mess up their poo poo too?

i suspect a lot of the answers to this are contained in some of the shardic responses to harmony/letters to hoid in the recent stormlight epilogues: honor and cultivation broke some kind of agreement by settling in the same system and maybe had it coming (as did devotion and dominion -- though there's some wob saying that Honor would say he kept his word and didn't break any agreement, making what actually was agreed very unclear), plus odium is trapped in roshar and therefore not anyone else's problem. they've been fighting over that system for something on the order of 10,000 years, who's gonna believe that it's suddenly going to radically change right now?

i assume these attitudes are going to get a lot of the above entities killed in some way, since odium getting freed in some fashion (perhaps merely people wielding that power without the Shard actively running things, for instance) seems effectively guaranteed sometime in the near future

also i think current status of yolen is "RAFO"

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 27, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also a couple followup things I forgot to mention:

- Shallan's spren being a "lie spren" is... interesting. Because they seem also obsessed with truth. My guess is that they value "truths that are so powerful that you will lie to keep them secret." People probably get caught up on the lie part but they really care about the truth that is wrapped in that box of lies.

- So far as I understand Radiants and surgebinding - there are 10 powers and every "order" gets a specific two of them. So far it seems like each order is "you tw get major power <x> and major power <y> based on your order along with <generic assortment of powers that everyone gets>" (like healing and just generally heightened abilities). It feels slightly like Twin-born on Scadrial but specific powers based on which spren starts sucking off your soul.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I liked my theories on sunlit man but also I was super high when I wrote them

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Who the hell are all these worldhoppers? How are there enough of them to support entire cities and trade economies like Silverlight? Is Yolen still around at this point? Is that where they all come from?

If they're so knowledgeable and powerful, why aren't they doing more to combat Odium and Autonomy? Wouldn't Odium and Autonomy "winning" mess up their poo poo too? It's real nagging when all the bad guys have all the knowledge, and the heroes get barely filled in on what's really going on. Kelsier and the Ghostbloods seemed much more influential and strong in Stormlight than they are coming across here.

They think Odium is contained. He's stuck in the Roshar system, he can't leave, sucks to be Rosharan I guess but not their problem. As for what they're doing to combat Autonomy -- the Ghostbloods are what they're doing. "Let's gently caress up Autonomy's plans" is their main goal. It just comes with a follow-up goal of "and also promote Scadrian interests (if not necessarily Harmony)" because it's being run by Kelsier, and he's never been inclined to care about the interests of people outside of his in-group.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Torrannor posted:

Hey pik_d and Mordiceius, there's a fun exercise some of us practice, to make a prediction what the major story beats of the next book will be. We usually do this either before the first chapters are released on Tor.com, of a few chapters in. It's actually quite fun to go back and see how much one guesses right (not that much, most often), and how much is hilariously wrong (most of my predictions, sadly). So perhaps you'd be interested in predicting RoW/Oathbringer before you start those books?

I really hope Mordiceius finishes Rhythm of War before the Stormlight 5 spoiler season starts. Tor.com releases the first few chapters of each major Sanderson book (for Oathbringer, they released 32 chapters, the entirety of Part 1) in small batches, and it's a wonderful time. We go over these chapters with a fine comb, trying to tease out any hidden bit of info, grappling with the big implications of the plot beats, enjoy reading about our favorite characters, and just all around having a blast. I would really love to see both of your reactions to that special time of the year. :)

(Fake RoW spoilers since I haven't read it)
I'm pretty sure I've seen that Venli is the focus/flashback character, and Rhythm of War feels like one of the Parshendi rhythm's that they hum to so that all follows neatly. So far all the titles have been in-world books so RoW could be an ancient Parshendi book or possibly a new one, but I assume old. Venli herself, she's going to have to continue to hide her nature from the Fused and Odium. As I said I think she's a Willshaper, so it will be fun to see her using some surges at some point.

Kaladin better say that Fourth Ideal and get his thread title inspiring Shardplate, Shallan too. Jasnah's been around long enough that honestly she might already have? I'd also like to see Adolin and Maya actually form the Nahel Bond which would make him an Edgerunner. I feel bad for the boy with a Sword in a world full of magic users.

We need to meet Ishi/Tezim, maybe even see some interaction between him and Nale since Nale did say he'd spoken to him already. Ishi is definitely mad, but not invalid like Taln and the former Jezrien, so I think he's gonna be a hard one to make an ally.

I want Taravangian to die, and he might honestly. He's getting old and weak and he's made a deal with Odium. I don't see that ending well for him. If Dalinar goes more than half this book still trusting him I'm feeding Dalinar to a chasmfiend.

I know there are people who say to read this before The Last Metal because of cross-series spoilers, so please give me Marsh. I love him and he's not in enough books. Or potentially Kelsier sneaking around the Cognitive Realm if not the Physical one with whatever Hemalurgy he was asking Spook to do at the end of Secret History. I think the one eyed coin in Mistborn era 2 is Kelsier, but Marsh was missing one of his eye spikes at the end of HoA (He had it back by Era 2) so I'm not honestly sure anymore which of them went to help the southern Scadrians with the medallions. The spear head shaped Bands of Mourning say Kelsier but the one eye spike is confusing. Demoux was already pointed out as being part of the Seventeenth Shard by Hoid, so there's another possible Mistborn

pik_d fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 28, 2023

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Stormlight Words of Radiance Prologue-End of Part 1

If you can find it (I can’t right now), go hunt down pik_d’s post about this part of this book. I’d bet they cued in on different things than you did, so it might be fun to get a second in-progress take to guide your listening over the rest of the book.