Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

It will say alcohol on the package. IIRC the Family Mart ones have it in English or look for アルコール. Airlines also do not care if you bring alcohol wipes on the plane.

Last time I had to throw a couple away at the airport security check (on my way to Japan) as they were 70% alcohol and marked as flammable. I guess that was not the airline itself, though, possibly just some overly strict airport fellow. Fortunately had some hydrogen peroxide ones I could still bring along.
Appreciate the help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weird, no one's ever so much as looked at mine and I always bring a pack for the plane ride. No accounting for the dude at security getting a bug up his rear end I suppose.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bofast posted:

Is there some specific term one should look for when it comes to buying alcohol wet wipes? I like to keep around some just in case and airlines tend to be rather negative about letting you bring potential flammables along.

Wet wipes are called "wet tissue" in Japan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bofast posted:

Last time I had to throw a couple away at the airport security check (on my way to Japan) as they were 70% alcohol and marked as flammable. I guess that was not the airline itself, though, possibly just some overly strict airport fellow. Fortunately had some hydrogen peroxide ones I could still bring along.
Appreciate the help :)

That's uncommon. I travel worldwide with dozens of alcohol swabs for over 20 years to every continent but Antarctica and nobody has ever cared.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

go_banana posted:

Made the above post earlier, got some helpful suggestions. So helpful that it sent me into frantic research into Kyushu vs Shikoku. Finally after a week of researching I decided its better to take it slow rather than try and see everything. There is 3 nights between post towns - Tokyo we could head back, but it might be easier to continue through the Kiso Valley. We've also been able to extend our stay for 3 nights, so now leave HND on 17/12.

28/11 - Stay near Shinagawa Station
29/11 - Shinagawa to Osaka
30/11 - Universal Studios Osaka
1/12 - Mt Koya, perhaps leave main luggage at Osaka station and stay there overnight?
2/12 - Mt Koya to Fukuoka
3/12 - Fukuoka
4/12 - Fukuoka to Nagasaki
5/12 Nagasaki
6/12 Nagasaki to Nagoya
7/12 - Studio Ghibli (one of the last remaining days, would have preferred earlier or later in the trip but ah well)
8/12 - Post Towns, Magome to Tsumago , maybe stay there or Nakatsugawa
9 /12
10/12
11/12
12/12 Tokyo
13/12 Tokyo
14/12 Tokyo
15/12 Tokyo
16/12 Tokyo
17/12 HND to SYD

We have 3 days between the post towns and Tokyo. I was really keen on Shikoku but I am unsure if it is worth doubling-back for 3 nights only. Otherwise, we are near the Kiso Valley - any suggestions for 3 nights? Outdoors, romantic, off the beaten track. Happy to travel anywhere else in the surrounding area too. We've been to Takayama before, and spent 1 night in Nagano to see the snow monkeys last time.

I'm also unsure whether its worth stopping at Osaka or changing the route entirely that we start at Nagasaki and get the 7 hour train ride out of the way up front and make our way back up, any advice?

Depends what you want. Osaka's cool and I recommend the nakazakicho area near umeda - on one side of the road you've got the hipster, shimokita- style stuff and on the other you've got the old- school, downmarket area of the tenjinbashisuji arcade and its offshoots. I loving loved it and it's not a tourist hellscape like dotonbori (yet).

On the other hand every extra stop is a pain in the arse so it depends on your appetite for changing cities.

Btw the relay- shinkansen system from hakata to Nagasaki is kind of a hassle but Nagasaki is so worth it.

Someone needs to bribe the mayor of Saga to let the complete shinkansen track be built.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I noticed a lot of maps here in Japan don't align North with up. Kinda threw me for a loop the first couple times

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

slinkimalinki posted:

Someone needs to bribe the mayor of Saga to let the complete shinkansen track be built.

Saga shall remain pristine inaka.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Revitalized posted:

I noticed a lot of maps here in Japan don't align North with up. Kinda threw me for a loop the first couple times

That's one of the great things about Japan. Who knows where north is? But you definitely know what is in front of you. It's nice to look at a map and know it matches the direction you are looking.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
For those who exchanged their non Japanese Drivers License with a Japanese one without having to take a written / driving test, are there any restrictions with the new Japanese license such as not being able to rent a car in Japan?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

no (in my experience)

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Busy Bee posted:

For those who exchanged their non Japanese Drivers License with a Japanese one without having to take a written / driving test, are there any restrictions with the new Japanese license such as not being able to rent a car in Japan?

No, not in law. However discount rent-a-car joints like Niconico and Guts may have it on their internal regulations not to rent to anyone with a newish license (6 mo or less). Big firms like Toyota and Nissan will rent no problem.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Fuuuuuuck I forgot about the J-League until today and December 3rd is the last match day... I could have easily gone to Japan one week earlier but I suck at travelling. I really need an adult next time I go to Japan to plan things properly.

Speaking of planning, the lads at the JNTO are very fun to talk with and will explain all the basics and some golden itineraries. I had no idea they had a booth close by and it was a good idea to go there, I'm redoing part of my itinerary to go to Ishikawa after Nakatsugawa and a village or two up the Nakasendo. Fun stuff.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Nah, doing that with or without a test just has to do with whether your home country/state matches the levels necessary to do so without the tests. I believe it’s reciprocity across countries that match a threshold, but that’s just an educated guess.

You might not be able to rent bigger trucks anymore but that’s the same for anybody getting a brand new Japanese license from scratch as well. But things like Toyota Hiace vans are ok, and regular cars of course too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Unless you specify on your application, your JP license will limit you to automatic transmission cars of a small/standard size (especially if you have to do the course test).

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

They just assume you're going to be driving an N-BOX like everyone else

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Are train tickets between cities something that I should be booking in advance? I'm travelling in Dec/Jan, in case that's relevant.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not unless it's a holiday and I don't think there are any big travel holidays in that period. Maaaybe if you're going somewhere obscure and there's only a couple trains a day but even then probably not.

I have never prebooked a train ticket in Japan.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Trains will be absolutely hosed with people going home/returning from home during New Year actually.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

We're flying from Haneda to Okayama, then taking a train to Osaka on the 2nd Jan. We got burned once trying to train from Berlin to Prague when we booked a train ticket but not an actual seat so I'm a little wary of something like that happening again :(

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

bee posted:

We're flying from Haneda to Okayama, then taking a train to Osaka on the 2nd Jan. We got burned once trying to train from Berlin to Prague when we booked a train ticket but not an actual seat so I'm a little wary of something like that happening again :(

January 2 will probably still be pretty quiet, but people will start going back from wherever they spent the New Year around then.

Hope you are ready for almost everything to be closed between about Dec. 29 to Jan. 4.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's fine, you'll be fine, buy soon after you arrive if you're worried about seats. Any JR station can sell shinkansen tickets so I recommend buying at a normal JR station (the lines at shinkansen stations can be ridiculous).

Shinkansen are busiest between Osaka and Tokyo, if you're starting from Okayama I think it won't be too bad.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

^^ Thanks! Will definitely keep that in mind.

Gabriel Grub posted:

Hope you are ready for almost everything to be closed between about Dec. 29 to Jan. 4.

Yeah, I've done a bit of research and apparently there's a few things that stay open in and around Hiroshima over the new years period so we'll busy ourselves with a few day trips :) Thanks for the heads up though!

bee fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 26, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dec 28 - Jan 3
Likely to be closed: museums, schools, offices, city hall, small family businesses
Probably open: post office, popular restaurants
Definitely open: public transportation, chain restaurants, chain supermarkets, shopping malls, hotels, temples, shrines

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm starting to get my basic Shikoku itinerary set for March 2024 and it looks like this:

Day 1 to 3: Shimanami Bike Tour from Onomichi and ending in Matsuyama. Stay the night in Matsuyama
Day 4: Full day in Matsuyama
Day 5: Rent a car and drive to Kochi
Day 6: Full day in Kochi and explore Kochi and surrounding areas
Day 7: Leave Kochi to go to the Iya Valley, stay a night there
Day 8: Spend the day in Iya Valley, hike up Tsurugi, drive to Takamatsu in the evening
Day 9: Full day in Takamatsu
Day 10: Fly back to Tokyo from Takamatsu

Open for any suggestions and ideas! Also wondering if we should plan on two nights in Iya Valley and cut off a night in one of the cities.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

vacation report: not everything I ate was great but nothing was bad. It's like the base standard for food quality is a couple of notches above the united states.

i did some other things besides eat, whatever

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

vacation report: not everything I ate was great but nothing was bad. It's like the base standard for food quality is a couple of notches above the united states.

Yep. I have had a couple genuinely bad meals in Japan but unremarkable is usually the worst you'll get.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Bout to jump into my flight and I still don't have a full itinerary. Did I earn my goon badge? (though to be honest as soon as I hit Nagoya I'll be with a friend who lives there)

This just came to mind but does anyone know where you'd usually find old movie posters? Used book shops? I'm not looking to adorn my apartment with Nikkatsu Roman boobies but it would be awesome to come across a poster for a movie I liked (ie. something specific like Crazy Thunder Road, or something more broad like a poster with an actor I like) even though I already know the more known movie posters won't be selling by scrap paper value.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Nakano Broadway for movie posters and Jinbocho for used book shops.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there any 1 day mobile data solutions? I know I could buy a week sim card but I will only be in Tokyo for a layover. I'm perfectly capable of navigating without a map but it's helpful to have data if I need to look something up at a moments notice.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there any 1 day mobile data solutions? I know I could buy a week sim card but I will only be in Tokyo for a layover. I'm perfectly capable of navigating without a map but it's helpful to have data if I need to look something up at a moments notice.

Ubigi has a one day data e-sim. They call them one-offs and they are like 2.50 US

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shammypants posted:

Ubigi has a one day data e-sim. They call them one-offs and they are like 2.50 US

Ah, thanks. My travel phone doesn't have an esim and I am leaving my new phone at home. Seems like an interesting way to do things, though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah, thanks. My travel phone doesn't have an esim and I am leaving my new phone at home. Seems like an interesting way to do things, though.

There are some on Amazon that cost <10 for 5 days but the brands are your generic 'who the gently caress is that' kind of establishments. https://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-In...021&sr=8-9&th=1

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I am just gonna wander HND a bit and see if I can find one for $20 or so. Or I can just go for a 20 minute walk once I get to my hotel to a DQ and see what is there.

Thanks for the recs, though.

Really, though. 1 day in Tokyo with no data seems kinda exciting in a way. Not planning on doing much. Train to Ginza, walk to Tsukiji to find something to eat, walk back and wander ginza for a bit, then go to Ikebukuro and do the same. Then wander Aki looking for Xmas gifts. In my 10ish trips to Japan, I still haven't been to Ginza/Ikebukuro so since I don't really have anything else to do but shop, I'll knock them off the list.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Hang out at Haneda Hub.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

tbh I don't really think of Ikebukuro as a place to go and do stuff, more of a transit hub and a place where people live. I can't really think of any must-go stuff there.

Ginza has the luxury good shopping street but I doubt you're going to go and buy a new Louis Vuitton bag or something. Aside from that I can't think of anything particularly crucial in Ginza. Aside from the stiflingly hot Metro station that's the start of the Ginza line with ceilings so low it makes you feel like you're in a coal mine.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
There is an amazing and cheap conveyor belt sushi place in Ikebukuro called Tenka Zushi

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

There is an amazing and cheap conveyor belt sushi place in Ikebukuro called Tenka Zushi

Anyone licking the plates there?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Isn't that standard practice for Americans when they go out to eat and finish their food?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Came back from my trip (well, I left Japan about a week ago for Taiwan but finally came back today)

I miss how cheap the food was. I miss the convenience stores and the easy transit. I wanna drink more hoyori.

I really want to play more Arsenal Base in the arcades over there :negative:

Fukuoka and Tokyo were a blast!

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Isn't that standard practice for Americans when they go out to eat and finish their food?

Before the meal