Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Differences like that will also play into which order you choose to exploit the planets. Maybe Vulcanus has a few pieces of really interesting progression to you, but you don't want to deal with its features without a few more tools or a scaled up economy, so you prefer to tackle the building challenges of another planet first and use the tech you get from it to make Vulcanus a bit easier for you. Or maybe it's the other way around. Hard choices are good choices, especially when you get all the goodies in the end regardless of path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Have they said if the planets will be non-linear? I kind of assumed the nature of the tech trees that the planets would be somewhat linear, like you go to Vulcanus to get tungsten which you need for next set of techs to go to planet after that, and etc.

It'd definitely be cool if you could pick/prioritize planets based on what sort of tech you want next, or otherwise tackle them slightly out of order - just might be a question of if they can balance that well.

e: Looking back to the first FFF for space age, yes:

quote:

The order in which you exploit the planets is an impactful strategic choice.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

And you can note that even Nauvis is its own path, as purple and yellow science still exist but aren't necessary to head off to other planets. But for example, elevated rails are a purple tech, and you may want that to deal with the Vulcanus cliffs or perhaps the water expanses of another planet more easily.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vulcanus is an unfortunate name.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Vulcanus is an unfortunate name.

Why?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Vulc is such a lewd word on its own

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The more they share about the expansion the more hyped I get. Normally I turn cliffs down/off but if it's part of the planets character I think it'll add some fun character vs just additional hassle which is how I see them now.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cliffs are just "Fine, I'll leave a cliff sized gap as I expand in that direction."

They could be removed from the game, and I doubt anything would really change.

Maybe they'd matter more if you played with a lot of aggressive biters? They do make nice natural walls.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No ring.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cliffs were added to give the terrain generation engine some kind of obstruction to add which was removable (unlike water) but yielded no resources and in fact cost some (unlike trees and rocks).

They’re really good for that.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I wonder if there's going to be a new power source for Vulcanus, because that coal isn't going to be very useful for power. Where's the water you would turn to steam in the boiler? You couldn't even use the coal for liquification properly without steam. Would be funny if you had to drop all the ice from space to the surface for all this, but probably impractical to get enough.

Good luck placing solar fields among all those cliffs too!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

In SpacEx, a critical progression moment comes when you finally get access to the Cryonite offworld resource and can use it to make Ice which stacks to 200, a more-practical way to move water around to surfaces which don’t have any.

My main use of it other than for the space platform which obviously doesn’t have resources is supplying oil to a waterless world which needs oil processing to make sulfur and plastic locally. There’s crude and coal there but whatever notionally happened to this place between experiencing a planetwide outbreak of cellular or multicellular life and when I showed up completely boiled the place dry.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Manyorcas posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a new power source for Vulcanus, because that coal isn't going to be very useful for power. Where's the water you would turn to steam in the boiler? You couldn't even use the coal for liquification properly without steam. Would be funny if you had to drop all the ice from space to the surface for all this, but probably impractical to get enough.

Good luck placing solar fields among all those cliffs too!

We make power by boiling sulfuric acid, obviously.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Elevated rails help a lot with this I imagine.

There's the flat "Ashlands" to build in and you can just bypass 90% of the cliffs with E-Rails and then just blast out areas near your resource extraction.

Wow, I already totally forgot we will get elevated rails. That will help for sure.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Morrowind looking good.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Dr. Stab posted:

We make power by boiling sulfuric acid, obviously.

sulfuric acid + coal. creates co2 and sulfur

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People are going to lose their poo poo over the cliffs and it's going to be great.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I usually play with cliffs on but turned way down (basically minimum frequency but highest continuity), but there really needs to be a better way to generate them that the current sliders just don't get you. Although having other terrain features that you just can't blast away with a relatively early tech is good for someone who's beaten the game 50 ways 50 times each and having something in the way of just using the same old (usually square) designs is one way to keep things fresh.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

You're not going to be going to another planet until you're already generating white science. Presumably that means you'll be able to send a few stacks of cliff explosives with your first expedition (although I guess there's a cost to get them from Nauvis --> platform --> Vulcanus) and clear a usable starting area.

I'm with Xerol - cliffs still on but low freq / high continuity. I don't think the Nauvis experience is enhanced too much by having them around, more of a nuisance, but if the new planet is designed with them in mind I hope they play a more interesting role.

Still grinding my Exotic Industries playthrough, although I took a break for some Lies of P off game pass. Launching rockets at a steady clip and expanding all my basic infrastructure to meet demands to allow for that. Project Cybersyn has been really impressive for this run and is incredibly powerful. I was a pretty proficient LTN user before, but I'm fully converted to PC. Setting up a basic station is similar in complexity but doing more complex tasks (specifically different request thresholds for a station) is so much easier in PC that it's an easy winner.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Space science is now an offshoot of blue science, not purple and yellow.
Also, while Nauvis has gained some new techs, it has lost others, including cliff explosives which now come later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, cliff explosives were specifically called out as being from an intermediate planet.

I'm sure they are saving the announcement of whether it is mega man rules where the other planet gives you cliff explosives or Metroid rules where the exploding butt planet gives you cliff explosives to help progress through that planet more efficiently.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think they said it's Megaman rules when they announced the new planets. Vulcanus is meant as the progression planet but each planet unlocks its own science. So you could go to the Uranium planet instead and make power generation a non-issue first.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Earendel (the space ex dev who was hired by wube and did the latest FFF) posted some more on the space ex discord.

quote:

I’ve had a lot of questions about it which have been answered around various discord channels but I’ll consolidate some of the information here.

Is planet Vulcanus based on the SE planets?
Not really. It’s a new design from the ground up, but they are both volcanic planets so naturally there are just some ideas that are good for both.

Did Vulcanus benefit from SE and Alien Biomes development?
Yes, the biggest one by far is the noise visualisation tools that I made. There is no way I’d have been able to do what I did with the landscapes without these tools, so that’s a critical benefit. There are a few things that are not exact copies of things but area at least influenced by code snippets. One of the more direct transfers though is that way that Vulcanus makes the volcanoes, that is directly based on the volcanos that I made for the new Vulcanite planet in 0.7. By far the biggest benefit though is just skills. I’ve put so many hours into working on the map generation for different planets that it is a huge benefit. I can visualise and implement things quickly, cleanly edit existing systems, train others, etc.

Has SE and Alien Biomes benefited from SA?
Not yet. I have a strict rule in not using company assets for my mods unless it is the same stuff that is released to everyone, so there’s nothing from SA unless you count skills. For skills it has probably helped a bit because it is extra practice, but really most of those skills were developed earlier so that is still quite 1-sided. Most of the benefits will be in the future. When SA is released I’ll be able to use things like the lava shader. If you go back to find my Vulcanite Planet devlog, the lava just doesn’t look as good. Also things like the hugely increased tile limit will be a big benefit, and a whole load of engine features that I can’t talk about yet.

Who/what drove in the videos?
I drove. There’s no robo driving. You can see the manual acceleration feathering from the tank smoke. The videos are mostly about the landscape so I made a smooth camera path first. Then for the driving I was trying to stay inside the camera view, so it’s not just about avoiding rocks, cliffs, and lava. If I got too far ahead or behind the camera then I’d need to restart. It took about 20 attempts per video, less for the 2nd video. And yes, in the final version of the 2nd video I hit that tree on purpose to show the fire drop. The first time that happened it was an accident but it looked cool so I did it again.

When’s the next SE devlog?
I hope to have it done this weekend. The FFF blog took a lot of energy so it might be delayed by a few days.

fake e: I just thought it's interesting to hear more about the exchange between space age and space ex.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Thanks for sharing that, I found it interesting and am not keen on trying to keep up with another discord.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

zedprime posted:

Yeah, cliff explosives were specifically called out as being from an intermediate planet.

Oh poo poo I totally missed that. But cliff explosives are only green tech right now... Huh, that's kind of annoying

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm starting to work on blue science in my k2 playthrough and realizing I threw stuff on my bus I don't really need, like automation cores and blank tech cards. Automation cores are mostly used in machines and stuff so basically no draws after my mall, and blank tech cards might be better made at each science build instead of taking up a bus lane but idk.

Then there's weird stuff like wood that I feel like is worth bussing for a bit (green circuits) but isn't used much after a point.

Trying to get better about using recipe book to see how much intermediates get used to decide vs just bussing everything but uhhhhh I'm not good at it yet.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You need just a breathtaking amount of space dedicated to greenhouses if you want to make a realistic number of machinesworth of green chips out of wood. Stone tablets are a lot more scalable.

e: that may greenhouses does eat a lot of pollution, if they’re always running.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 27, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Oh good to know, I'm also not good at checking out the multiple recipes for things and just go with the first one I find.

Making that change would mean I just need wood for coke and other stuff like that and could keep it all in the smelting area which would be nice.

Base is loving organized chaos rn, as always I don't leave quite enough space in the early game of laying out my first smelters when I go from handfeeding to the start of the bus.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think its Space Exploration that lets you build green circuits out of stone. K2 is wood only.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah only one recipe and its wood.

Do you bus electronic components or make on site? I'm working on my red chip assembler zone rn and it looks like elec components are mostly used as machine ingredients but then also red chips and another intermediate or two? Going from 3 ingredients to 1 makes me want to bus to reduce complexity at each build, but there is a cute method of adding a direct insertion to my red chip build so tempted to do that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
My only hope for the expansion is they unlock fps. It would help so much with motion clarity while moving.

and no it doesn't matter that they are sprites designed for 60 fps, you can still render the sprites at 60 fps (render the same part of the animation), but drawing it at a slightly different position in the screen while moving would be so good.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yeah only one recipe and its wood.

Do you bus electronic components or make on site? I'm working on my red chip assembler zone rn and it looks like elec components are mostly used as machine ingredients but then also red chips and another intermediate or two? Going from 3 ingredients to 1 makes me want to bus to reduce complexity at each build, but there is a cute method of adding a direct insertion to my red chip build so tempted to do that.

Bus, you need green chippies for quite a few things (production modules most notably) so its worth having its own dedicated manufacturing setup imo. I have a separate bus for each type of chip.

I'm thinking of restarting because the aliens are just pathetic and I'd like a little challenge. I downloaded the Rampant mod that changes their AI, any recommended settings to make the bugs more of a threat?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I downloaded the Rampant mod that changes their AI, any recommended settings to make the bugs more of a threat?

Good timing

https://youtu.be/6lx8l8X9qcI?si=wxnCsgBBSdxt21Yd

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Well, poo poo. It might have been years since I played K2 without SpacEx! Sorry.

I guess you’re making a fuckton of greenhouses for serious production of basically everything.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I put electric components on the bus and was glad because I need them for military tech cards, and now I'm trying to decide if I bus coke to my biter research area or put that near my coke production and then move the research data to my military tech area? Or just bring the elec components back to the smelting area, make the tech cards there and do a long run to my labs???

In short im enjoying k2.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's funny how this ends up being easier for him than his first rampant playthrough, and not just because he's more experienced.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

This week's FFF is about some of the starting factory mechanics of Vulcanus.

Looks like you will see some major boosts to productivity from Vulcanus, combining both stat improvements and new mechanics.

The potential for spaghetti looks incredible.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh I really like the sound of the new buildings!

My one concern about space and planets in general is the possibility of more oil/blue science moments. You know, where people get intimidated by the sudden jump in complexity, and even in future runs there's still some apprehension about tackling it again. I don't want this to turn into "yay we launched a rocket! But ugh we're gonna have to deal with the Ranch Dressing Planet."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I could watch the foundry all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Those new mining drills look chunky and awesome.