Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Top G posted:

Doing that with a female end is looking like the best option. I’d need 12/3 though for the ground, I believe

i must be reading this wrong. You're not talking about putting a female 'standard' cord end on the tool and running a hot male end around, are you?

like this?

because i know you couldn't possibly be talking about doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
thats a bad idea but male to male cords do have a legitimate use case and thats plugging a generator into an outlet during a power outage AFTER YOU HAVE TURNED OFF YOUR PANEL'S MAIN BREAKER so that you have can run your fridge and have be able to charge phones.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

My Spirit Otter posted:

thats a bad idea but male to male cords do have a legitimate use case and thats plugging a generator into an outlet during a power outage AFTER YOU HAVE TURNED OFF YOUR PANEL'S MAIN BREAKER so that you have can run your fridge and have be able to charge phones.

Incorrect

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

My Spirit Otter posted:

That is not actually a proper use for them either. Do not do this.

The only proper use is when you put up xmas lights and start with the wrong end...

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
its 100% safe. unless youre running an industrial generator, its only going to have 15a outlets so you wont be tripping breakers, and if youve switched off the panel’s main breaker, you can’t backfeed into the system.

once you see your neighbours power return, you turn off the generator, unplug the cord, then turn on the main breaker.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Wrong. It's never safe. You should never do this, and even if you do you should never be suggesting it.

My Spirit Otter posted:

its 100% safe. unless youre running an industrial generator, its only going to have 15a outlets so you wont be tripping breakers, and if youve switched off the panel’s main breaker, you can’t backfeed into the system.

once you see your neighbours power return, you turn off the generator, unplug the cord, then turn on the main breaker.

Wrong. It's not safe. It's not to code for a reason. Code is written in blood so guess what that reason is.

If you need to connect a portable backup generator on your house a lockout kit and an inlet is not expensive. Stop scumbagging it and stop suggesting others do this.

Signed,
- someone who has had to clean up after this kind of poo poo before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My Spirit Otter posted:

Everyone please do not do this.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Dude, no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The worst part about that advice is that if you are capable of mentally walking through that whole process correctly, and can make the cable "correctly", you also have the ability and knowledge needed to put in a proper generator interlock and do it right.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The worst part about that advice is that if you are capable of mentally walking through that whole process correctly, and can make the cable "correctly", you also have the ability and knowledge needed to put in a proper generator interlock and do it right.

Or run an extension from the fridge directly to the generator.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is one of those things where if you have the knowledge and life scenario to do it "safely," you should also have the wisdom to know you can never do it safely.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

My Spirit Otter posted:

Please for the love of god people reading this thread do not do this. You should probably shut the gently caress up about this.

Get the proper manual transfer switch and gen inlet, or just plug your poo poo into the generator via properly rated extension cords with the gen outside. Do not just plug your generator into a circuit with the breaker disabled, there is a reason that this isn't code and why you don't find it recommended anywhere that an electrician is present. You'll also only power about half your circuits, since you decided to only provide one leg of the 120-0-120 legs your panel needs.

stealie72 posted:

This is one of those things where if you have the knowledge and life scenario to do it "safely," you should also have the wisdom to know you can never do it safely.

It is exactly that. He's sitting on mount stupid with just enough knowledge to burn down their house in a way done hundreds of times before.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 25, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
My name is Spirit Otter, Dunce of Dunces. Look yee upon my stupid and despair!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm rediscovering minimalist woodworking, but from an informed perspective. Got all my tools in the basement but I'm setting up the unattached garage as a shop. I'm having fun making due with my track saw, some sawhorses, and a bit of creative thinking.

The basement has become a dumping ground for all sorts of poo poo due to some unfortunate circumstances so I'm back in the game, baby!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Bondematt posted:

It is exactly that. He's sitting on mount stupid with just enough knowledge to burn down their house in a way done hundreds of times before.
Electrical instructor had a term for that: Know enough to be dangerous.

Also shout out to my city college instructors for emphasizing not just safety, but also telling your boss "gently caress you" if they try to put you in a dangerous situation, and going over stories about how many electrical workers try to be "superman" and die horrible and painful deaths. They were really going out of their way to try to reverse that whole culture in the trades.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

i must be reading this wrong. You're not talking about putting a female 'standard' cord end on the tool and running a hot male end around, are you?

like this?

because i know you couldn't possibly be talking about doing that.

Huh? No, that’s kinda funny to imagine but impractical and dangerous. I had meant wiring 12/3 cord to the saw and wiring a female plug connector on the other end.

Ultimately I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3138605762...2.c101506.m1851

Which is likely about the same cost or less than buying cord & connector so all’s well that ends well

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That Works posted:

Or run an extension from the fridge directly to the generator.

Having a couple of 80' 10/2 cords left over from my construction days, this is my preferred method.👍
Pigtail to Fridge, lights, Internet- goonspeed!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

The Top G posted:

Huh? No, that’s kinda funny to imagine but impractical and dangerous. I had meant wiring 12/3 cord to the saw and wiring a female plug connector on the other end.

Ultimately I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3138605762...2.c101506.m1851

Which is likely about the same cost or less than buying cord & connector so all’s well that ends well

Right but if you have a female connector on the end of your saw, how are you going to plug it in?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Danhenge posted:

Right but if you have a female connector on the end of your saw, how are you going to plug it in?

Very Carefully

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Danhenge posted:

with the appropriate amount of compliments and foreplay.

EDIT:

and consent!

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 26, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

oh i walked away but there is a reason that thing is called a 'suicide cable'

making a cable with a hot male end (heyo!) is incredibly stupid and no one will help you do it. but it sounds like we're not doing that?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 26, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

its 100% safe.

Not even a little bit. See you in 6hrs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rockler catalog came in the mail; now I want all the things.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
First project in my semi functional garage shop: a clamp rack. It's proceeding well. I settled on a mobile stand now that I have space.

:3:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Why bother with a clamp rack when you can just clamp your clamps to things and they hold themselves?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Upside to an unfinished basement is that ground floor joists can hold so many clamps

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

wesleywillis posted:

Why bother with a clamp rack when you can just clamp your clamps to things and they hold themselves?

Please don't doxx my workshop

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cannon_Fodder posted:

First project in my semi functional garage shop: a clamp rack. It's proceeding well. I settled on a mobile stand now that I have space.

:3:

Mobile clamp cart/rack is the best cost:benefit of anything I have built for my shop.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Mobile clamp cart/rack is the best cost:benefit of anything I have built for my shop.

Pretty hyped. I'll also use it for holding vacuum hoses and adapters.

I'm trying to figure out how to get more power to my garage, 2 space heaters and lights and the circuit trips. Luckily most of my tools in there are battery.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I saw the suicide cord post and I had a question about a half-memory you all might be able to help with. I seem to vaguely recall there used to be a use for cables with male-to-male Edison plugs for stage lighting, but I can't remember if I'm misremembering something. Am I just mixed up or is/was this a thing?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd love to do this, i just really don't think i can afford the space. So I clamp my clamps to a ceiling joist (low ceilings, basement shop) and it works ok, it's just slow to get them down and put them back up since i have to loosen/tighten them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

50% off many things at DTO for Cyber Monday. Shipping is $15.

Once again, that oil-free polesaw + baby chainsaw kit I won't shut the gently caress up about? $115 + $15 shipping.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

My usual blurb on that:

Two goons asked me to ping them on this. Yes, it is Oil-free. A chainsaw you don't have to oil! What foul magic is this? According to the sales rep in this video, Ryobi did some testing on solving the oil leaking problem, and they found if a chainsaw is running a chain slower than 5 meters/sec, then it doesn't need oil. That's why they don't

quote:

have any big oil-free chainsaws, but these little guys. Anyhow, I yoinked one around Black Friday and used it on a tree and it worked fine. I think the chain came loose at a certain point, but otherwise it had no issues, cut just fine. Then I got hella sick and haven't used it since. Comes with battery and charger; the 1.5Ah is plenty of battery to deal with a few trees. So if you want a pole saw that's not going to leak oil and you can just toss it in your garage/tool closet when you're done, then get this. It doesn't come with a bag and the blade scabbard on it is poo poo. I turned to Amazon:
Greenworks Pole Saw Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID8838Q
It fits perfectly so that it doesn't have a bunch of extra room to jostle around. You can probably also find a tripod bag with similar dimensions.
Rando Chinese 8" - 12" Chainsaw Bar Cover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GMCRMC7
Works fine. I used this exact one but there's a bunch of these since it isn't anything special.

Everyone might want to dig on DTO and post tools that are on a good sale.

https://darn.tools is good reference for sanity checking prices.

I don't see the usual go-to recommended fans, either the clip on or the other kind. They do have the bucket top misting fan kit for $45:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL851K

And the "misting cannon" for $90?
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL850K1

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeAuMaN posted:

50% off many things at DTO for Cyber Monday. Shipping is $15.
Constantly mystified as to why there's never a good DTO online deal for airless 16g finish nailers. It'll happen someday, I just know it.

Today is not that day. 6 percent off.

Thanks for the heads up otherwise though!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Constantly mystified as to why there's never a good DTO online deal for airless 16g finish nailers. It'll happen someday, I just know it.

I have to assume that they make a lot fewer of them because weekend warriors such as myself are less likely to buy them. So they don't have the volume for sales.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anyone know offhand if Lowe's sells grade 8 (or whatever the metric equivalent is) hardware?

Specifically Lowe's because I'm right near one and can buy poo poo individually.
Canadian tire and home Depot don't. I can go to brafasco or a place like that if I have to, but they usually have a minimum order. I need 4 bolts and one nut, so don't want to buy a bag of 25 each if I don't have to.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Anyone know offhand if Lowe's sells grade 8 (or whatever the metric equivalent is) hardware?

Specifically Lowe's because I'm right near one and can buy poo poo individually.
Canadian tire and home Depot don't. I can go to brafasco or a place like that if I have to, but they usually have a minimum order. I need 4 bolts and one nut, so don't want to buy a bag of 25 each if I don't have to.

Maybe the home depot by you doesn't, but mine has grade 8 bolts in various sizes available. Not a wide selection or high quantity but it's there. As does lowes. I bet they're in the drawers-o-fasteners if you missed them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks, I'll take a look. None of the HDs around here have grade 8 stuff. Only grade 5 and 2.
I've scoured the poo poo out of them..

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look. None of the HDs around here have grade 8 stuff. Only grade 5 and 2.
I've scoured the poo poo out of them..

Or I should say - both of their websites claim they do, I haven't actually gone to look in ages.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Other stuff from the DTO sale:
The EZClean power-washer thing; this is the 600 psi model, and it's the lowest historical price according to darn.tools at $75 (includes 4AH battery):
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/RY121852KVNM
There's a bunch of accessories to be had if you search "ezclean"

Bug Zapper for $45 :v:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P29014BTLVNM

Slugworth posted:

darn.tools says it has gone on sale, at least earlier this year:
https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=P326

Why they chose to exempt it from this sale? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

wesleywillis posted:

I never have the luck I'm looking for at home depot or lowes when it comes to specialty fasteners. Ace hardware/local hardware stores are always the key for success in my experience as they have every type of fastener in various sizes, finishes and strengths.