Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

blackmet posted:

My partner totaled his 2018 Passat last month.

You could see the crumple zones working on it. And every single airbag in the car deployed. He walked out with a tiny bit of airbag rash and a jammed thumb that hurt for a couple of days.

The car that hit him was a 2015 Kia Optima. It had the same results, and their driver was even less injured.

The cars did their jobs and did them well. Insurance paid and we replaced it with a brand new car within two weeks. It was probably the best possible scenario, that sure as HELL wouldn't have happened with a 56 Chevy.

I totaled my Wrangler in 2014. I walked away from this without even a bruise.

Well...it SEEMS I walked away without a bruise, with all the poo poo that's happened since then like Trump winning I do somewhat suspect I'm in a coma and this is all delusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A lady rear ended my work truck with a 2018 Honda civic, slamming into it at 40mph when I was stopped at a light. The entire front end of her car past the windshield was like a scrunched up accordion. She walked away from the wreck with just a shoulder abrasion from the seat belt slipping against her shoulder. I figure a car 60 years older would have pancaked her when the engine block shot through the dashboard from such an impact.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I would simply not total my car.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When I was in school (which is now 20+ years ago) one of my friends had a VW van, which was old enough to be a pretty classic car even then. One day when they were driving from school they had a run in with a modern (by which I mean 1990s) SUV. With no engine in front, appreciable crumple zone, or airbags, the only thing protecting them was the car frame. My friend ended up breaking his pelvis and leg, spent the entire spring semester in traction in hospital, and eventually had to relocate to get proper physical therapy and recovery care. His father died in the ICU. By comparison, the SUV was in good enough state that the driver fled the scene (he was probably drunk) and got home in his vehicle and didn't need any treatment at all.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Okuteru posted:

I remember that even cartoons like the Fairly Odd parents had a joke about calling old cars" Screaming Metal Death Traps. "

iirc that episode was also the father character having a midlife crisis and buying said "Screaming Metal Death Traps"

also lol at talking about houses when those people the blood sucking house as long investments industry. oh and then HOA redlines and keeping non whites out so their account numbers can go up up up

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Craziest thing about those old cars is guys were driving them drunk all the time, often with a drink in hand. And it was all manual, so I imagine they had to set the cocktail glass on the bench seat to shift. And cops would frequently be like "Well, how far are you going, pal? A mile or two home? Okay, drive safe." If you were white, anyway. :smith:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
From the flashback in Bojack Horseman: "Lady you're out of control! Have one last whisky then drive your poor daughter home, it's past her bedtime!"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

Craziest thing about those old cars is guys were driving them drunk all the time, often with a drink in hand. And it was all manual, so I imagine they had to set the cocktail glass on the bench seat to shift. And cops would frequently be like "Well, how far are you going, pal? A mile or two home? Okay, drive safe." If you were white, anyway. :smith:

Cracking down on drunk driving was, predictably, called communism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcQIoh3FQQ

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Animal-Mother posted:

Lol no, you let go of the steering wheel to change gears while holding your drink. Inertia will keep you safe for a few seconds, probably.

Cup holders were actually a significant safety innovation.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You just hold the cup with your fingers and palm shift.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

chug every time you have to shift, crack a fresh one after

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Killer robot posted:

Cracking down on drunk driving was, predictably, called communism.

Famous teetotalers, those Soviets.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Roads were much safer back then because everyone just assumed that all other drivers were drunk, so they were more careful in traffic.

We could still have that. Make it so that at certain hours on Friday and Saturday nights you can drive drunk from bar to home. When people know that those are the DUI hours, they either stay off the streets or exercise extra caution.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Roads were much safer back then because everyone just assumed that all other drivers were drunk, so they were more careful in traffic.

We could still have that. Make it so that at certain hours on Friday and Saturday nights you can drive drunk from bar to home. When people know that those are the DUI hours, they either stay off the streets or exercise extra caution.

Cautiously getting t-boned at the intersection when someone drunk off their rear end plows through the red light.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Willatron posted:

Cautiously getting t-boned at the intersection when someone drunk off their rear end plows through the red light.

I bet you also blame the deers when you collide with one in an area where you know there are lots of deers.

What happened to common sense!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Animal-Mother posted:

Famous teetotalers, those Soviets.

The Soviet government made attempts to curtail drinking, it just didn't go very well.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

“Boris, you must drink twice as much as would kill a normal man, or less, from here on out.”

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 25, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The Soviet government made attempts to curtail drinking, it just didn't go very well.

The 1980's campaign was somewhat successful in that as production of alcohol fell, life expectancy and birth rates rose, birth defects from alcohol declined and so did crime rates. But it was still too little too late. It can be speculated that letting people have their drink would have allowed communism to continue a bit longer, opium of the people etc. Instead, an alcoholic came to the helm.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LonsomeSon posted:

“Boris, you must drink twice as much as would kill a normal man, [i]or less[/o], from here on out.”

"No"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Put your Johnson away. They meant yeltzen

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

I bet you also blame the deers when you collide with one in an area where you know there are lots of deers.

What happened to common sense!

I blame the government for forcing the deer to cross in an unsafe area.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

I love the fact that whenever I point this out, some Democrat invariably claims "Derrrrr... you don't even know what fascism is!" So let's explore fascism a little, shall we?

Listed below are attributes and practices that all 20th Century fascists have in common with the Democrat Party of 2023:

1. Laws promoting the seizure of guns from law-abiding citizens and/or the denial of gun ownership rights for law-abiding citizens.
2. Censorship of free speech by pretending such censorship protects the citizenry from faulty information.
3. Government control of industry.
4. Government control of the mass media.
5. Children belong to the State and not their parents.
6. Political dissidents are to be persecuted for "crimes" under the color of law through the courts.
7. Political dissidents are locked up for months/years without a trial.
8. All policies are to be based on a fierce adherence to a preferred ideology.
9. Control of the entertainment industry as a means of propaganda.
10. Accuse dissidents of the very crimes you yourself commit.
11. Justify all of it for the "common good."

The Democrat Party of 2023 is a fascist party. Spread the word.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

quote:

Unsurprising to anyone in this thread, I'm sure, but that's pretty telling. Children don't "belong" to anyone because they're not property.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

All that's missing is multiple instances of FACTS peppered throughout the document with no actual supporting evidence at any point.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Unsurprising to anyone in this thread, I'm sure, but that's pretty telling. Children don't "belong" to anyone because they're not property.

I'm sure this is in reference to something like schools not telling a parent if their kid is using different pronouns at school. Which is still a lovely point to try to make, but I'm sure that's the reference, at least partially.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the_steve posted:

I'm sure this is in reference to something like schools not telling a parent if their kid is using different pronouns at school. Which is still a lovely point to try to make, but I'm sure that's the reference, at least partially.

Yeah a big argument these days is "teachers are demanding my kids turn into boys/girls and change their pronouns! Why, they're even forcing gender reassignment surgery!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Nah they're freaking out that the state can take your kid from you if you don't let teachers trans them.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Well a big chunk of the current "parental rights" framing still boils down to an "ownership" argument. They're angry at the idea that their children would be allowed to be trans by people who aren't them. Their argument is still "this is my child, and I get to be the one to decide what their pronouns are!"

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Well a big chunk of the current "parental rights" framing still boils down to an "ownership" argument. They're angry at the idea that their children would be allowed to be trans by people who aren't them. Their argument is still "this is my child, and I get to be the one to decide what their pronouns are!"

Yeah I always try to counter that with statements, using my own parental status, along the lines of "parents dont have rights so much as they have responsibilities. and one of the fundamental responsibilities we have as parents is to foster an environment that lets our children and teens grow and learn and be themselves. we have the responsibility to protect them, so that they can feel safe to come to us or to their teachers with anything. we do not have the 'right' to tell them who they are or what they believe. it's not our decision, it's not our life. we are their caretakers, not their dictators"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Most of these are an actual problem for the exact opposite reasons that the OP is saying. Yeah let's not examine why the US army allows movie studios to use their equipment and what that might mean for media.

The problem with the "government can take your kids away for wrongthink" thing is that, much like a lot of expressions of government power, it's bad when taken at an absolute surface level because it relies on the government being an arbitrator of what is good and bad. Saying that the government can take your kids for not accepting they are trans is hateful, but I have no doubt in my mind that places like Florida are rolling the idea of putting trans kids in CPS because "the parents must be forcing this on the kid and therefore it is abuse". It's a power that is easy to abuse but at the same time it's necessary because whooo boy do American evangelicals love beating the poo poo out of their kids.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Medullah posted:

quote:

quote:

I love the fact that whenever I point this out, some Democrat invariably claims "Derrrrr... you don't even know what fascism is!" So let's explore fascism a little, shall we?

Listed below are attributes and practices that all 20th Century fascists have in common with the Democrat Party of 2023:

1. Laws promoting the seizure of guns from law-abiding citizens and/or the denial of gun ownership rights for law-abiding citizens.
2. Censorship of free speech by pretending such censorship protects the citizenry from faulty information.
3. Government control of industry.
4. Government control of the mass media.
6. Political dissidents are to be persecuted for "crimes" under the color of law through the courts.
7. Political dissidents are locked up for months/years without a trial.
8. All policies are to be based on a fierce adherence to a preferred ideology.
9. Control of the entertainment industry as a means of propaganda.
10. Accuse dissidents of the very crimes you yourself commit.
11. Justify all of it for the "common good."

The Democrat Party of 2023 is a fascist party. Spread the word.
This one's easy. Fascism requires the existence of a fascist leader.

(yes they'll say "that's Biden" despite voters on his side not even really liking him)

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

CuddleCryptid posted:

The problem with the "government can take your kids away for wrongthink" thing is that, much like a lot of expressions of government power, it's bad when taken at an absolute surface level because it relies on the government being an arbitrator of what is good and bad. Saying that the government can take your kids for not accepting they are trans is hateful, but I have no doubt in my mind that places like Florida are rolling the idea of putting trans kids in CPS because "the parents must be forcing this on the kid and therefore it is abuse". It's a power that is easy to abuse but at the same time it's necessary because whooo boy do American evangelicals love beating the poo poo out of their kids.

It's like the people who only care about police and prison reform because of the plight of the J6 Martyrs, in that they only give a single poo poo when it threatens their perceived way of life. If the government is weaponized against their enemies, they cheer it on. If the government is weaponized against them, it's tyranny. No additional thinking required.

Sadly it shows why accusations of hypocrisy are meaningless, because "CPS should take away 'trans' kids from their parents because they are definitely being groomed" and "CPS is bad because it doesn't let me hit my kids like the Bible tells me to" are like two completely different genres of thought in their mind, they don't experience any sort of cognitive dissonance at all. No consideration of the actual institution factors in at all, it's all just a measurement of The Other's suffering versus their personal discomfort.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve worked close enough to CPS that when someone cries about their kids being taken away by CPS it’s because they are extremely lovely parents. CPS does not want to take your kids because it’s a huge pain in the rear end and they don’t want to do the paperwork to make you stop being a lovely parent.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve worked close enough to CPS that when someone cries about their kids being taken away by CPS it’s because they are extremely lovely parents. CPS does not want to take your kids because it’s a huge pain in the rear end and they don’t want to do the paperwork to make you stop being a lovely parent.
I used to work with a guy whose sister got split from her mother because she bought into DARE propaganda and told the cops the mom does weed. Is that like blowing weed smoke in a cop's face in a "lowest priority" city where they really don't want to give a poo poo but they basically have to in that case?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Islamic Shock posted:

I used to work with a guy whose sister got split from her mother because she bought into DARE propaganda and told the cops the mom does weed. Is that like blowing weed smoke in a cop's face in a "lowest priority" city where they really don't want to give a poo poo but they basically have to in that case?

What a morozov!

quote:

His story was a subject of reading, songs, plays, a symphonic poem, a full-length opera, and six biographies. His politicized and mythologized story was used to encourage Soviet Bloc children to also inform on their parents.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Islamic Shock posted:

Not saying it's exaggerated but it comes off like all those poor guys sob stories about how they were arrested for indecent exposure for peeing behind some bushes once and ended up on the sex offender registry as a result.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

That kid is hogging all the forehead like a dirty capitalist.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yup....still arguing over pretty settled science in 2023.

e: Fixed hosting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 28, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nenonen posted:

Ah yes, the "Bike helmets cause more fatalities" argument. I get that there's a large chance you're being facetious, but it's an argument that comes up fairly regularly, and is somewhat annoying every time; the safety equivalent of "If you get a raise you'll get bumped into the next tax bracket and *lose* money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The tax bracket thing is so hosed. A regular-rear end person can be forgiven for not easily understanding safety statistics but you can just read how the tax brackets work and no longer be a rube. It’s not, like, obfuscated or anything, it’s part of the basic structure.

I knew someone in the early aughts who avoided changing jobs for more pay because of that (or it was their rationale anyway, i think they just didn’t want a big change, which should be a fine thing and not require them to avoid becoming slightly less poor).