Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1729192720756101333?t=9DI1GWXjTDh_azD-OjtGdQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives

it's too difficult for these eggheads to understand that outcomes count

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ben Baldwin is just waiting for the Eagles to lose to the 49ers and/or Cowboys just to post the biggest 'I told you so' in history

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
the real egghead maneuver to rag on Hurts and the Eagles is pointing out their 2022 Vikings-esque record in one score games, but even that is ultimately meaningless

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

indigi posted:

4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives

it's too difficult for these eggheads to understand that outcomes count

No you don't understand the season's over and the Bills won the Super Bowl because their EPA thru week 8 was so dominant

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People just are really into fantasy sports. I don’t get it but to each their own

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
it's so strange. it's like some of these people have never competed at anything, have never been in a high stress situation, have never interacted with dynamic groups of people, have never had to collaborate with others to achieve a goal. haven't you worked with someone who was your go-to problem solver? haven't you played sports with someone who got you to perform better than usual? of course you can't build an analysis of a football player on a foundation of "they're clutch" or "they possess dog," otherwise a guy like Tim Tebow would still be starting en route to the hall of fame. but reacting to that by pretending those characteristics don't exist is just as silly, to me

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I’ve touched the heart of Gabagool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

shyduck posted:

If the Eagles lose to the Niners next weekend which is very possible, everything's back on the table. It's waaaay too early to crown anybody

Very possible because I think SF is just as balanced as Philly and a very impressive team to watch.

But if we beat them 24-21 or some poo poo I'm gonna begin to get tired of hearing how lucky we are. Even though I acknowledge we've had some lucky poo poo go our way this year. We could have easily lost to Dallas, BUF and KC but we didn't and, at a certain point, you're just winning loving games and 12-1 or 13-1 is what it is in this league no matter how you do it.

No one can say we played a soft schedule this year either like people did last season. We flaked out against the Jets but that happens to the Eagles every season; losing a game they should win. Happens to most good teams (looking at you Arizona vs Dallas).

Thing that worries me about SF and Dallas is that, for the most part, they grind inferior teams into loving paste, which is an historic sign of a good team. Eagles aren't doing that this year even though they're 6-2-2 vs the spread so, while they're doing a lot of things right, they rarely look dominant and have struggled against WAS twice plus a garbage NE team and are in the middle of a really tough run of games here. Our biggest wins this year were vs TB and MIA so too bad there's no Florida team in the NFC for us to meet in the playoffs.

I think they lose at least one to SF, DAL, or even SEA somewhere along the way (and maybe another trap game like NYG or ARZ) but, hopefully, they really put all the pieces together for a full game and peak at the right time. If they combine every good thing they've done so far into one 60 minute game, they're unstoppable. Not having a viable TE threat was noticeable the last two weeks.

Similarly curious to see how the Cowboys look against SEA, BUF, MIA, PHI and DET in the next month.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Hurts has each of the Best offensive line, Best defensive line (my info on this may be outdated, I'll let philly posters opine), and Best wide receiver in football.

We don't have Justin Jefferson or Tyreek Hill?

indigi posted:

yeah, that offense tanked immediately with Williams and Deebo out, bounced back when they came back. idk how you can argue he's even the most valuable 9er. if he gets MVP it's more fraudulent than Embiid's

he's having a good year in an offense that went to the superbowl with Jimmy G. he's very good, that's about it though

That's why right now I'd give it to McCaffery or Hill.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
a lot of times it's better to be lucky than good like the Vikings were last year, but it's best to be lucky and good like the Eagles are this year. I am pro-Cowboys and it brings me no pleasure in reporting this

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

indigi posted:

a lot of times it's better to be lucky than good like the Vikings were last year, but it's best to be lucky and good like the Eagles are this year. I am pro-Cowboys and it brings me no pleasure in reporting this

Agreed. The NFL, even with a 17 game schedule, is still a really small sample size and I don't think most people realize how small the difference really is between winning and losing or the talent/skill gap between the best and worst teams. Often, it's obvious and the eye test doesn't lie but, just as often, games come down to a fumble bounce, a kick hitting the crossbar, an ill advised coaching decision, a strange turnover or some weird penalty (bad call or not).

Almost every NFL point spread is within one score. That's how close these teams really are.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Very possible because I think SF is just as balanced as Philly and a very impressive team to watch.

But if we beat them 24-21 or some poo poo I'm gonna begin to get tired of hearing how lucky we are. Even though I acknowledge we've had some lucky poo poo go our way this year. We could have easily lost to Dallas, BUF and KC but we didn't and, at a certain point, you're just winning loving games and 12-1 or 13-1 is what it is in this league no matter how you do it.

As corny as it sounds, the best teams find a way to win. And they’ve been doing that all season.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

No one can say we played a soft schedule this year either like people did last season. We flaked out against the Jets but that happens to the Eagles every season; losing a game they should win. Happens to most good teams (looking at you Arizona vs Dallas).

Today i was thinking a lot about how much I hated this narrative from last year, and no one can say that poo poo year, especially from how we've been doing during this stretch.

Also I am still fuckin 100% electrified from that win last night holy poo poo it feels good to be a philly fan :getin:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
it's very, very easy to see the eagles dropping the next two games

thing is i also said that about the dolphins, cowboys, chiefs, and bills, so ... who knows

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
I choose to learn nothing from their playing all year and instead will get irrationally mad at how lovely they look if they win or gloat for being a doomer if they lose.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Something went down between an Eagles fan and Bills defensive tackle Jordan Phillips.

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/eagles-fan-shoved-by-buffalo-bills-player-during-heated-exchange-in-the-middle-of-the-game/

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The funniest Eagles season result would be to win all these tough games and then immediately lose in the playoffs to some dumb low seed in the divisional

after the Cowboys lose to the 49ers again

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of luck, has Hurts had a larger-than-average share of his passes get tipped at the line this year? Quite a few of his picks have been like that.

Ninja edit: obviously tips aren’t luck, but having them bounce to a defender is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/WeWantDallas/status/1729313847029248405?s=20

Been saying this, I’m not sold on him. If they fire Ron I’m still ok with letting him close out the last month but I’m not sure he’s here next season. There has to be a reason all the other teams he’s interviewed for have passed on giving him a head coach job.

https://x.com/RGIII/status/1729170328377758019?s=20

RG3 trying to be the next Skip Bayless or Stephen A Smith, lol go right ahead and hire Bienemy.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 28, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Decent article I found regarding the MVP discussion we were having

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/11/27/23978166/nfl-mvp-race-jalen-hurts-lamar-jackson-brock-purdy-tyreek-hill

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/11/cowboys-nfl-bland-diggs/

Really good write up and deep dive into what DaRon Bland is doing this year.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

Ninja edit: obviously tips aren’t luck, but having them bounce to a defender is.

Unless it happens to Dak

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

We don't have Justin Jefferson or Tyreek Hill?

Gimme AJ Brown over either of them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the eagles beat SF this week I think hurts has it Locked up

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

Yea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even so if they beat sf and then hurts doesn’t play the last three weeks he could lose it I guess since writers have the brains of gold fish

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 28, 2023

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Tua locks it up this weekend with a 300 yard performance against the Commanders

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tua’s within striking distance of the interception crown this season, but Josh Allen and Sam Howell are going to be difficult to beat

e: Hurts is right there too

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

For MVP? Lol hell no, it's way too close between the top QBs to be over in week 13.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

For MVP? Lol hell no, it's way too close between the top QBs to be over in week 13.

Hurts has a 2 game lead . It’s not close at all really

If Purdy wins next well it will tighten up

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

Hurts has a 2 game lead . It’s not close at all really

If Purdy wins next well it will tighten up

Oh you meant for 1 seed. Yeah, if the Eagles beat SF then yes, it's practically locked up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No MVP

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

there’s way too much that can happen for Hurts, who isnt even that good this year, to have it locked up

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Giants fans what’s your opinion on our boy Tommy D pulling a Romo and going from UDFA to franchise guy. Does he have it in him?

I want to believe.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If hurts was better they could have been 11-0 that is true I guess

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hurts was obviously just seeing what the ceiling on turnovers against the loving Jets was and that # was 4

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Giants fans what’s your opinion on our boy Tommy D pulling a Romo and going from UDFA to franchise guy. Does he have it in him?

I want to believe.

Probably not tbh but he's shown enough juice that you don't sit him even if Taylor comes back this year. He's Italian Gardner Minshew, basically.

I also want to believe, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

davecrazy posted:

I want to believe.

Hes playing out of his mind for a practice squad quality QB. He just looks amazing because the Giants WR corps is WAY better than people give them credit for and he's actually throwing the ball to them. He's got an okay arm and decent scrambling ability so I think he can be a quality backup.

This is also with the caveat that Romo wasn't a franchise QB and was just an okay starter on a stacked roster, which is fact, not opinion