Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Swerve vs Lethal 4 7.84%
Hook/OC/Shibata vs ExJAS 1 1.96%
Rush vs Jay 31 60.78%
Anna vs Ruby vs Skye 2 3.92%
Mark vs Mox 13 25.49%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AEW survived a pandemic as a much smaller and less prestigious company, if anybody seriously thinks they're dying just because somebody looked at TV sideways then I highly suggest you take some time off of online wrestling discussion and just enjoy the show on its own merits. I cannot stress enough how much more fun a show can be when you're not also microanalyzing how many people are attending the show, what the live viewership numbers are, and whether a thing is sports, entertainment, or sports entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Waffleopolis posted:

My ideas to improve AEW:

Yes to all of these, I would even hot shot the belt to Swerve at this point. You want to make a statement and get some buzz on your product with a guy who's super hot and dangerous looking? Have Swerve just kill MJF like the night after World's End. Say something like "oh he's super injured from Joe, BFF Adam can't be here," maybe the devil or Wardlow beats him up in the back, whatever. Regardless, get the belt off Max and onto Swerve, he's super over, you get your first black world champion, and you have something interesting and fresh going into the new year.

I feel we're going to trudge through the MJF mud for another 9 months until Ospreay beats him at Wembley. We don't need to do this, Tony. The MJF stuff is so old and tired and is doing nothing to help the product.

A Fancy Hat posted:

AEW survived a pandemic as a much smaller and less prestigious company, if anybody seriously thinks they're dying just because somebody looked at TV sideways then I highly suggest you take some time off of online wrestling discussion and just enjoy the show on its own merits. I cannot stress enough how much more fun a show can be when you're not also microanalyzing how many people are attending the show, what the live viewership numbers are, and whether a thing is sports, entertainment, or sports entertainment.

The only way AEW dies is if Tony gets bored and doesn't want to do it anymore. If TNA and NWA survived this long, AEW is fine. It's not dying, but it's very cold right now and it probably doesn't help that Punk is about to go out on Raw tonight and bury them for like 10 minutes straight. They could really use some kind of a shakeup.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 27, 2023

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

pressedbunny posted:

I just want people to stop watching TVs backstage at weird angles :sigh:

Young Bucks are still the only ones who know how to properly watch the TV
https://twitter.com/youngbucks/status/1314032995700006913

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is cope, real fans obsessively analyze everything and if you don't or stop you're less of a person, possibly less of a human

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is cope, real fans obsessively analyze everything and if you don't or stop you're less of a person, possibly less of a human

My favorite part of my live show Saturday was counting every person in attendance at the show. I meticulously went aisle by aisle and handed out a questionnaire asking them if they thought MJF was cringe or based.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A Fancy Hat posted:

yeah lmao

If you start to find yourself more interested or invested in discussing wrestling to the point that it drowns out the enjoyment of the actual artform, especially in a world where there's so much wrestling out there, past and present, it's time to talk about wrestling less and watch wrestling more.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

100%. The ratings stuff is incredibly boring to me. I just want to watch great pro-wrestling and AEW does that for me like nothing else has since the 90's or rewatching old AJPW or NJPW stuff. Now if ONLY Tony can close a deal to get streaming & archive rights :pray:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Weird to insinuate that the only way to feel negative about AEW is because you read attendance numbers.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

yea ok posted:

Weird to insinuate that the only way to feel negative about AEW is because you read attendance numbers.

“Death spiral” implies it’s going out of business. That’s what I’m addressing, people who literally think AEW is going out of business.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I think AEW could do some things to be better.

I also think AEW does many more things I really like.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

“Death spiral” implies it’s going out of business. That’s what I’m addressing, people who literally think AEW is going out of business.

They're a privately owned company owned by a billionaire, nobody thinks they're literally going out of business.

People are using "Death spiral" in reference to their popularity and engagement, ie "the product/company is cold as gently caress"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yea ok posted:

Normalize 👏 Fatasses 👏 In 👏 Wrestling 👏

been saying this. I want fat strong dudes like Vader and Earthquake.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

blunt posted:

They're a privately owned company owned by a billionaire, nobody thinks they're literally going out of business.

People are using "Death spiral" in reference to their popularity and engagement, ie "the product/company is cold as gently caress"

It's only cold as gently caress if you're too deep in the discourse. Attendance is actually up this quarter.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jiro posted:

I fail to see how a dude who wanted to and tried to take a swing at the company's owner no longer being in AEW is bad for AEW. Punk went back to the place he can be his most toxic, and it's normal because that's obviously what he wants not really what he needs to be a better person.

I get it from a "Tony should have managed the situation and personalities better" perspective but "we hired the guy who was so much of an rear end in a top hat that he needed to be on a shorter leash" doesn't seem like a huge win.

A lot of it is probably just WWE and their stans controlling the narrative though.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

My favorite part of my live show Saturday was counting every person in attendance at the show. I meticulously went aisle by aisle and handed out a questionnaire asking them if they thought MJF was cringe or based.

cant have been worse then reading posts here

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yea ok posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pylons posted:

It's only cold as gently caress if you're too deep in the discourse. Attendance is actually up this quarter.

Pity the tv has sucked!!!!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It could be a brain tumor too, often been insinuated that's why I like AEW so I'm sure it's why "some" "folks" don't like it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't know which of the two threads this should go to, so it's going to both.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

Dynamite's ratings are fine, the other shows seem to be where WBD expected per reports, PPVs are doing great but the company definitely feels cooler and could use some minor course corrections, which seem to be happening. Right now I just need some tweaks to MJF and the Joe feud might do it. I don't expect the Toni Storm stuff to change, I guess people like it?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

people who literally think AEW is going out of business.

I would be shocked if anyone on this board actually thinks that is happening. The only people who literally think that are weird twitter WWE stans.

Pylons posted:

Eh, regardless of ratings or tickets or whatever, the show is just way less interesting right now. A year ago I was excited to watch AEW, now I find myself fast forwarding most of it except the one or two matches/segments that I'm interested in. There's just too many bad segments/squash matches/stuff that you know is inconsequential and doesn't matter.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good effort, though the dialogue balloons need to be flipped around and the top one says "WWE" instead of "AEW" :v:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fish Of Doom posted:

Eh, regardless of ratings or tickets or whatever, the show is just way less interesting right now. A year ago I was excited to watch AEW, now I find myself fast forwarding most of it except the one or two matches/segments that I'm interested in. There's just too many bad segments/squash matches/stuff that you know is inconsequential and doesn't matter.

Okay, but we're talking about engagement/popularity, not how you, the individual poster, feels about the show.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

rotinaj posted:

I am partway there with you but I also want a yokozuna or earthquake

Wrestling needs big fat guys

I will also support a dude like bam bam bigelow or vader

Keith lee used to be that before covid ravaged his endurance

if keith lee didn't get covid he would be AEW champion right now.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Pylons posted:

Okay, but we're talking about engagement/popularity, not how you, the individual poster, feels about the show.

I'm not the only person down on the show right now, homie

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drakkel posted:

Honestly AEW just does way too much WWE poo poo now and some of it I can stomach cause the wrestling is good but that's pretty much all it has now and it honestly just makes me depressed watching it at this point cause it feels like it's in a death spiral and if it does go away that's basically me done watching wrestling ever again.

I will watch an AEW show and feel like it was really great and I had a good time. Then I go online and read from a lot of folks that it's dead or dying and honestly my solution is to stop reading as much stuff online. When I just interact with the show I enjoy it way more.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm not the only person down on the show right now, homie

No poo poo. My point is that the actual figures don't back up how you or others personally feel.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nea posted:

It's so drat sad. I'm glad he's still around because he's still charismatic as hell but... :smith:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pylons posted:

No poo poo. My point is that the actual figures don't back up how you or others personally feel.

Sounds like you're too deep in the figures and discourse. Take a step back.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nea posted:

Don’t remind me, one of the best moments of my AEW fandom was seeing Keith Lee come over

I had such high hopes, keith lee was my favorite dude not in aew at the time. I love big stout dudes of gravity who can go, s’moe joe was my favorite wrestler during his roh title run

And then

:negative:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Pylons posted:

He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Tony.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I was waiting for this to pop back up :lol:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

AEW fans are dumb bitches and the haters are brain damaged losers imo honestly to be clear

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Fightful Select thing came out. Nothing crazy. Tony is more worried about Shibata than Punk which makes sense. AEW morale is low, some think the debut makes them look second rate, bla bla bla. Some in WWE very upset, "tepid" reaction similar to his return for Collision.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW fans are dumb bitches and the haters are brain damaged losers imo honestly to be clear

If they're girls we call them Cootie Face, if they're boys we call them Bucket Head

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yea ok posted:

Fightful Select thing came out. Nothing crazy. Tony is more worried about Shibata than Punk which makes sense. AEW morale is low, some think the debut makes them look second rate, bla bla bla. Some in WWE very upset, "tepid" reaction similar to his return for Collision.

Any details on exactly what is going on with Shibata? Is it a visa thing? Personal?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

yea ok posted:

quote:

We’ve continued to gather more information on CM Punk’s return to WWE.

We're told that many WWE talent expect to speak with higher ups and gain some assurances about Punk and how he will be in the company moving forward.

As far as AEW, Tony Khan seemed more concerned Saturday night about losing Kastuyori Shibata than CM Punk heading to WWE. The majority of reactions we’ve gained within AEW is people asking about how the reaction within WWE has been. The answer to that is much more tepid than originally expected, just as was the case when Punk came back to AEW for Collision. In both WWE and AEW, there had been people that had said they didn’t want to work with him and would consider leaving, but we heard of no release requests from people in AEW and now WWE connected to it.

There were top WWE talent asking some in AEW if Punk was involved in the AEW devil storyline as recently as the last month or so. Punk was never discussed for that. While the Punk appearance was a closely kept secret in WWE, Punk had told or at least hinted to a couple of close friends that it was happening.

WWE ended up using renders from Punk’s last run in the company, and the same Titantron video from that era. We asked a source at Peacock about the playlist of Punk content that was added, and were told that takes relatively no time to put together. There were some guidelines given on how to address Punk chants for Smackdown and Survivor Series, which was to ignore them as best possible.

We can confirm that there was a real offer put together for CM Punk by IMPACT/TNA, as Ibou of WrestlePurists mentioned recently. Fightful spoke to several associated with the company this weekend that said he was well liked during his visits there, and we’re told the door remains open. There had been some friends of Punk’s that thought that was a real possibility before talks with Triple H started. Those close to him fully believed he would wrestle again, and when it looked like the door wasn’t open for a return, it seemed like an option if Punk wanted it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Shard posted:

Any details on exactly what is going on with Shibata? Is it a visa thing? Personal?

No idea

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Curious to know why some in AEW think Punk's return to WWE makes AEW look second rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the Shibata concerns are just the beat down by Yuta to write him off since he's taking some time to go back to Japan, no reported reason as to why beyond "needs to go back suddenly for a while". I think it's mostly in this story as a way to say Tony doesn't care about Punk.