Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way I can get my phone / Google Messages to retry retrieving these texts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Airplane mode doesn't cause it to fail?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nope. Going to try a restart.

Edit: nope, still just the spinning.

hooah fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 25, 2023

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Nope. Going to try a restart.

Edit: nope, still just the spinning.

Maybe someone just sent you those spinning icons as a message to drive you crazy

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BabyFur Denny posted:

Maybe someone just sent you those spinning icons as a message to drive you crazy

It's have to have been both my sister and her husband. Usually when an MMS doesn't download it'll actually fail after a few minutes and I can force it to retry. That's not happening with these few messages.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
If you haven't already, try turning off WiFi and only connect using your cellular network.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

poe meater posted:

If you haven't already, try turning off WiFi and only connect using your cellular network.

Yeah, I did try that. Most of the problem (aside from my family insisting in using communications technology from the '90s) is that my house has little to no cell signal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

hooah posted:

It's have to have been both my sister and her husband. Usually when an MMS doesn't download it'll actually fail after a few minutes and I can force it to retry. That's not happening with these few messages.

Your sister and her husband are conspiring to destroy you

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

you could maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the messages app

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ShoogaSlim posted:

you could maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the messages app

It's a Pixel so I can only reset it to the factory version. I guess it's worth a shot, although those messages may not be available any longer. Don't they only stay in the cell system for a limited time?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You could try switching to another SMS app and then switching back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tried Textra and it doesn't see any pending messages.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I just tried Textra and it doesn't see any pending messages.

Have you tried the web version of Messages? It seems like it might be worth a shot to see if things behave as expected there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you tried the web version of Messages? It seems like it might be worth a shot to see if things behave as expected there.

That's a good idea. I see the messages there waiting to be downloaded. We'll see if they ever arrive...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
looking for a case for my Pixel 8 Pro that physically covers the camera lenses when not in use

Any ideas where to find one like that, other than this one on Amazon?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

That's a good idea. I see the messages there waiting to be downloaded. We'll see if they ever arrive...

Well, it got two out of three. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just got a Pixel 7a for cheap through Cyber Monday. Any recommended cases? :)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

not convinced face unlock for google pay is an improvement. seems like i can open my wallet app and it won't prompt me for any biometrics at all. then when i try to pay, it fails and asks to authenticae. ok so i hold it up to my face (even tho it only shows a thumbprint icon) and that "satisfies" the requirement, but still forces me to tap "confirm" anyway, so i might as well have just used my thumbprint in the first place and not bothered with face verification.

so it goes from:

- open wallet app, prompt for thumbprint, press and confirm, tap register

to

- open wallet app, no prompt, tap register, fail and ask for thumbprint, press thumprint, tap again

alternatively: tap register (without opening wallet app first), fail and ask for thumbprint, etc etc

it was much smoother on the 7. idk why it's not auto prompting for a biometric if it doesn't detect that authentication has been established. just results in extra bs steps

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ShoogaSlim posted:

not convinced face unlock for google pay is an improvement. seems like i can open my wallet app and it won't prompt me for any biometrics at all. then when i try to pay, it fails and asks to authenticae. ok so i hold it up to my face (even tho it only shows a thumbprint icon) and that "satisfies" the requirement, but still forces me to tap "confirm" anyway, so i might as well have just used my thumbprint in the first place and not bothered with face verification.

so it goes from:

- open wallet app, prompt for thumbprint, press and confirm, tap register

to

- open wallet app, no prompt, tap register, fail and ask for thumbprint, press thumprint, tap again

alternatively: tap register (without opening wallet app first), fail and ask for thumbprint, etc etc

it was much smoother on the 7. idk why it's not auto prompting for a biometric if it doesn't detect that authentication has been established. just results in extra bs steps

you have weird issues I've never had. Google Wallet has never asked me to authenticate with biometrics or anything when paying, even when it fails.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't understand why wallet is asking you to auth in the first place if you had to unlock your phone to begin with.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Chikimiki posted:

Spigen strikes a good balance between protection and bulk IMO. I don't fear at all dropping my phone on hard surfaces but also can still slip my phone into most every (men's clothing) pocket I have.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

As Pvt. Parts suggested, Spigen in general make quality cases and they have a couple sub-brands like Caseology. I usually like the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Zero One for neat kinda x-ray like look and the Caseology Paralax and Nano Pop cases are always really slick looking. I also recommend Spigen's tempered glass screen protectors, but always buy their stuff on Amazon instead of direct from their site since Amazon's prices are like 1/3rd of Spigen/Caseology's direct prices.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
do not get the dbrand ghost

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Peak Design's Everyday case is excellent, gives you mag-safe compatibility. No customization options whatsoever to speak of.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't mind my dbrand ghost, but I also don't care if my case gets scuffed up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OnePlus 12 event Dec 5.

Will probably be my next phone as someone enticed being able to pay full-price. Unless something is egregiously wrong with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
If the circular camera assembly doesn't rotate with a really satisfying 'zzzt-klunk' noise, I want their entire product design team fired.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ha I wish I could afford their fold, but not this year.

I also thought they had announced the Hasselblad relationship was over :shrug:

I wish they maintained (returned) wireless charging but it seems unlikely with that design. But I'll be less of a dummy with my next phone and not bring my weight down on my usb-c-charging phone, wrecking the port.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I don't understand why wallet is asking you to auth in the first place if you had to unlock your phone to begin with.

its a tile in my notification drawer so i can/do access it before i get to unlock my phone.

i suppose a solution could be to just unlock my phone first and then tap without opening the wallet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i suppose a solution could be to just unlock my phone first and then tap without opening the wallet

I mean, yeah, that is the normal way to do it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Unless you need to switch to a different card theres no need to open the wallet app to pay

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Skarsnik posted:

Unless you need to switch to a different card theres no need to open the wallet app to pay

holy poo poo gently caress me this explains why I get so many failed payments as I fumble to open the app...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

pretty astonishing how quick my 8 has very noticeable fine scratches across the screen. i got it 10 days ago and it only ever goes in and out of my pocket, but there are substantial little fine lines going across the screen.

it's pretty ridiculous how much time companies spend marketing the strength of their screen glass when the technology obviously isn't there to prevent normal every day use. what's crazier is i've seen the guy on youtube that goes to town on brand new screens with various sharp tools that result in no scratches. my pocket lint is more destructive? im almost impressed with myself.

and before anyone suggests, no i will not ever ever put a screen protector on my phone. and no that doesn't nullify my right to complain. it's a preference not a requirement to fort knox your phone.

e: to double down on not starting any poo poo, i'm not like PISSED about this. it's happened to every phone i've ever had. just somehow still a little surprising/mildly frustrating.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 28, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't know if some models are worse than others or just batches of a production run but both mine and my wife's s21 ultras were littered with fine scratches all over from just normal use. Then we switched to 23u and its what I would expect from a phone screen, no micro scratches all over. I say I dunno if its the whole model or the ones we had cause I looked it up back then and no one talked about it.

So if no one else is seeing that on their 8s maybe it's yours? But would Google do something about it

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

ShoogaSlim posted:

pretty astonishing how quick my 8 has very noticeable fine scratches across the screen. i got it 10 days ago and it only ever goes in and out of my pocket, but there are substantial little fine lines going across the screen.

it's pretty ridiculous how much time companies spend marketing the strength of their screen glass when the technology obviously isn't there to prevent normal every day use. what's crazier is i've seen the guy on youtube that goes to town on brand new screens with various sharp tools that result in no scratches. my pocket lint is more destructive? im almost impressed with myself.

and before anyone suggests, no i will not ever ever put a screen protector on my phone. and no that doesn't nullify my right to complain. it's a preference not a requirement to fort knox your phone.

e: to double down on not starting any poo poo, i'm not like PISSED about this. it's happened to every phone i've ever had. just somehow still a little surprising/mildly frustrating.

This is the exact reason why I put $9 glass screen protectors on the day I open the phone. I got a two pack when the 7 was released and it just started to have noticeable marks on it on the first one.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Trying to decide if it's time to upgrade from my pixel 3a to the 7a. My phone still works fine, but the lack of security updates is likely an issue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Buy my like new 7 for a song.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Resdfru posted:

So if no one else is seeing that on their 8s maybe it's yours? But would Google do something about it

i got mine from best buy and wound up getting suckered into their membership plan that includes coverage on devices. the scratches are very easily ignorable for now and probably forever, but if it gets egregious i can always get it replaced.

Blurb3947 posted:

This is the exact reason why I put $9 glass screen protectors on the day I open the phone. I got a two pack when the 7 was released and it just started to have noticeable marks on it on the first one.

i'm sure i'm too dogmatic about my preference but i just can't see myself ever getting over the fact that i have a protector on my phone. if it works for you tho then godspeed. you're doing the right thing for you

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I practice ultra vigilance near a beach or sand.

Do not have in pocket during certain tasks at work, near grinders/welders drilled metal shavings.

My phone pocket never has keys or the like in it.

If it does get scratches in it
In my experience one of those liquid screen protectors doesn't really change the feel of the phone taps very much at all and fills in any but deep scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't put much thought into it and no scratches

Do you live in a sand pit?