Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
course over ground state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
buyin nails by the attomole

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

its kinda neat how everybody's motherboard is really a bunch of RF transmission lines now

i'll bite and would enjoy your exposition on this because i don't fully understand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

psiox posted:

i'll bite and would enjoy your exposition on this because i don't fully understand

you can't design ultra high speed circuits (multiple ghz) by assuming that when you energize the end of a wire, everything it is connected to is instantly energized in negligible time. you have to consider the delay it takes the signal to propagate from one end to the other and to make each stop along the way because the state of the circuit may have meaningfully changed before it gets there. this is less like designing an electric circuit and more like designing an electricity pumping station- or a network of radio transmitters covering a large region

another fun aspect of this: when you send a signal over any medium from a source to a destination at any given moment there's always a little bit of information that has been sent by the source but not yet received by the destination and exists only as signal. for most small electronics situations this is far less than one bit so you can ignore it, but a high data rate link over a long distance may have a substantial number of bytes that only exist as currents in the wire or radio waves in the air. at multiple ghz this is also true of all your motherboard traces and it has to be taken into account

e: I remember the rule of thumb being that light travels about nine inches per nanosecond (one clock tick at 1Ghz)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

haveblue posted:

(cool poo poo)

e: I remember the rule of thumb being that light travels about nine inches per nanosecond (one clock tick at 1Ghz)

dope, and also that framing is pretty amusing. light: slow as poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and! the speed of light in a vacuum/air is not the same as speed of light on a mobo! the substrate the board is made of acts as a dielectric, slowing it down. those traces are actually only moving the bits around 65-70% vacuum c

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

psiox posted:

dope, and also that framing is pretty amusing. light: slow as poo poo
and yet it's the fastest thing in the universe after Elon's reply button mashing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

what’s really neat is that type of memory that I forget the name of, but is essentially a big loop of wire with a repeater at the end that just keeps transmitting the same signal over and over again so it can store a few bits

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

polyester concept posted:

what’s really neat is that type of memory that I forget the name of, but is essentially a big loop of wire with a repeater at the end that just keeps transmitting the same signal over and over again so it can store a few bits

magnetic-core memory, sounds like? they look cool as hell

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Delay-line memory

The ultimate form of which is modulating a laser that you're bouncing off one of the apollo retroreflectors

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mercury was commonly used too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I read a sci fi once where the ship's central computer was referred to as an "electron reactor"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gently caress, even in the future everything is javascript

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

infernal machines posted:

gently caress, even in the future everything is javascript

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
javascript is the most cyberpunk language, as it looks cool and is simultaneously a dystopian future we desperately do not want

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

I read a sci fi once where the ship's central computer was referred to as an "electron reactor"

also featured in eric nylund's Signal to Noise and A Signal Shattered which were both excellent and published before he went on a tear of halo tie in novels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think it was one of those yeah

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/_argp/status/1727231229437829519

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

:hmmyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i vaguely recall reading a proposed explanation for the max headroom video hack - there was a high school in the chicago area whose magnet/career program was tv production, local tv stations would sometimes donate tv equipment that was obsolete and about to be disposed of (for the tax writeoff), one old camera was donated with the stations broadcast card still installed and live, one of the bright kids in the a/v program noticed this and told their friends, someone still had the max headroom mask from their halloween costume, and a plan started to form...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this is the thread for posting cool futuristic design poo poo right

an art book about the visual style of the Wipeout games

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
i wish wipeout was real

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

drat I remember that game, it was awesome

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

wipeouts art design is cool as gently caress

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
they need to port wipeout to ps5 and psvr2. I loved the hell out out that series and the vr was ok but the low res of original psvr makes it hard to play for more than a race or two for me

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/muda_zukuri/status/1724019274258481501

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
love it, but in my state it's illegal to have weapons disguised as vegetables though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lol

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Milo and POTUS posted:

love it, but in my state it's illegal to have weapons disguised as vegetables though

you probably just need a concealed kale-y permit

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Milo and POTUS posted:

yeah iirc even vanilla collapsible batons are cop-only in canada to carry/use. might be able to own and keep it in the house though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just get divorced

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah iirc even vanilla collapsible batons are cop-only in canada to carry/use. might be able to own and keep it in the house though

it's illegal to own in your house here

lol

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Milo and POTUS posted:

you have the right to romaine silent

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

rotor posted:

you have the right to romaine silent

anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of slaw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

give me back my baton. you don't have a warrant and this is an illegal caesar

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'd rather die than go back to kale

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
B R A S S I C A

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cheese it! it’s the cobbs!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress you, pig! i pay your celery

Adbot