Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, I think I would grow to despise the game within a week if I tried a gliderless/towerless run, even thinking about it upsets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How do you get to the last area without a glider?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, the whole thing of breaking weapons before they appear in the depths in pristine condition was lost on me until after I reached all lightroots and apparently each of the guardians too. I've got new travelers swords and spears for days, folks.

Based on what I can reconstruct, I got the royal claymore from Hyrule castle, fused it with a Lynel horn and ever since have fighting and healing it with the octoroks.

I also don't understand why it's in pristine condition. I initially chalked it up to healing it with octoroks like 20 times. But I spent time trying to take another damaged weapon and healing it to see if I can get it to pristine that way and apparently not?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I love visiting new towns in RPGs to meet people, get quests and buy new gear, I was beelining for Lookout Landing the minute I got off the island just for that

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spanish Manlove posted:

Speedruns can do it. I believe in you.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Jump down

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Cheesus posted:

Yeah, the whole thing of breaking weapons before they appear in the depths in pristine condition was lost on me until after I reached all lightroots and apparently each of the guardians too. I've got new travelers swords and spears for days, folks.

Based on what I can reconstruct, I got the royal claymore from Hyrule castle, fused it with a Lynel horn and ever since have fighting and healing it with the octoroks.

I also don't understand why it's in pristine condition. I initially chalked it up to healing it with octoroks like 20 times. But I spent time trying to take another damaged weapon and healing it to see if I can get it to pristine that way and apparently not?

I played this entire game and had no idea you could heal a weapon. How does this work?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Akratic Method posted:

I played this entire game and had no idea you could heal a weapon. How does this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhbEL9_lnj0

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spanish Manlove posted:

2-star glide suit?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Runcible Cat posted:

2-star glide suit?

Possible to get those without glider?

Now I kinda want to do this. For like 45 mins

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Build some overcomplicated contraption, duh

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Build some overcomplicated contraption, duh

I remember on a launch day stream Austin Walker did just that to get down in the Depths before having a glider, using the bird-wing Zonai devices (don't remember what they're called)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jump down the hole on a control stick duh.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm sure there are all manner of goofy off-the wall tricks and silly mechanical interactions, but the obvious answers include (but may not be limited to) balloons, wings, a shield rocket, a fan contraption, a pocket fairy, or just buildin some stairs

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Or a single fairy in your inventory

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I said that!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Two hover blocks tediously moved down one after the other

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/sumoguri2323/status/1727626043933213155?s=46

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think I was pretty good at the fuse system, I did some pretty creative st-

Nevermind :stwoon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

oh my god

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Not as good as the Godzilla but I'm also impressed with his Ultraman

https://x.com/sumoguri2323/status/1703106847333597509?s=20

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, y'all, I have a favor to ask.

I hated this game so much I gave it up, but I want to give it another chance.

I did the tutorial area, explored a little, made my way to the Wind temple and beat it, and just gave up because I wasn't having any fun. The powers were so much worse than BotW.

Losing all of the tools I had -- the runes, especially -- really took the wind out of my sails and then the underground was just like Prime 2's Dark Aether, which also made me give that game up. No more durian was a big blow too.

Without story spoilers, can y'all just give me some challenge-ruining advice? How to farm rupees, the essential upgrades, where I should go, etc.? Because the alternative is just never playing it again, and I hate that idea.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

I did the tutorial area, explored a little, made my way to the Wind temple and beat it, and just gave up because I wasn't having any fun. The powers were so much worse than BotW.

Losing all of the tools I had -- the runes, especially -- really took the wind out of my sails and then the underground was just like Prime 2's Dark Aether, which also made me give that game up. No more durian was a big blow too.

Without story spoilers, can y'all just give me some challenge-ruining advice? How to farm rupees, the essential upgrades, where I should go, etc.? Because the alternative is just never playing it again, and I hate that idea.

You can find a lot of neat weapons if you poke around in Hyrule Castle. If you go to enough shrines you will eventually get a lot of hearts and stamina. Why don't you... figure out how to wake up the Great Fairies and figure out their whole deal? That will also really help with survivability.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Legit go wake up the great fairies and upgrade your armor.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the early game. It can be a real slog and I was missing the original runes. Having some additional survivability so I could have more room to experiment is what made it better for me.

Besides the armor benefits, waking up the great fairies has the following side benefits.

1) A legitimate great questline and side quests.
2) A decent tutorial on how to use your new arm.
3) No requirements. You can do it as soon as you get off tutorial island.
4) The areas you visit (and shrines you unlock) give you a good base of operations for each fairy fountain.

Once you get better armor, consider spending time exploring the sky islands. The sky islands are less combat focused (besides sky arenas) and more focused on puzzles and building flying machines to get from one area to the next. The enemies are fun to fight without them being overwhelming like some monster camps can be, plus there are some great set pieces up in the sky islands.

Also once you have fully explored the sky islands, the main map and the depths are much easier to access because you can just teleport to a specific spot and hurl yourself off the island to get where you need to go to.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

How to trivialize the Depths (this contains only mechanic spoilers, but Big Ones. Can't-unsee-it type stuff:)
-The Depths are the exact same as the main Hyrule map but with the topology inverted for heights (IE: Tanagar Canyon becomes the Tanagar Ridge, the super low point where the Forgotten Temple is located in the overworld becomes the highest part of the top of the Ridge in the Depths.)
-Under every major named structure in the overworld, there is a Mine in the Depths. The major towns have major mines. You want to visit these and ransack their chests for battery upgrades.
-Under almost every named forest in the overworld, there is a Grove in the Depths. These groves will have a big hollow stump with a chest inside that also often contains battery upgrade materials.
-(Sometimes the reward is just another green tunic hat from one of the mainline games, it's cool if it's for your favorite game but I couldn't care less once I realized those were all the same stats + abilities)
-Beeline to the area under the Great Plateau first, you'll get the Autobuild ability so you can quickly build vehicles. This is probably how you'll get around 90% of the time.
-This also kicks off a sidequest where you beat the poo poo out of a boss multiple times, and every time you do it you get more battery upgrades.
-Major bodies of water are impassable walls in the depths (rivers, lakes, oceans), otherwise the entire place is open and generally empty besides the points of interest/enemies that are very visible from a distance
-Wherever there is a Shrine on the overworld map, there is a Lightroot in the Depths. You can use this information + chasm locations to quickly pinpoint Lightroots near chasm entrances
-There are Lynels in the Depths, but their spawns are directly underneath the Stables of the Overworld so you can just steer clear of their general area (or beeline to them for easy parts after a bloodmoon)
-There's only 4 Gloom Hand spawns in the entirety of the place that I can remember. 1 is under Hyrule Castle, 1 is under Korok Forest, 1 is under the Deku Tree, 1 is under the Tingel Islands. Go nuts.
-There's Froxes scattered around big open areas, they're complete chumps that you can trivialize by shooting their eyeball to stun them, standing on their back to beat the poo poo out of them, and when they shake you off they'll toss you in the air. You can immediately draw an arrow to get the slowmo and shoot them in their eye again and stunlock them.
-There is exactly 1 Gleeok in the entirety of the depths and it is impossible to accidentally run into it without realizing that you're about to fight it. It could not be (literally) signposted harder.
-There's also 2 major dungeons in the Depths, but you can't really interact with them unless you've hit the story beats required to "start" the dungeon.

A few other misc things
-Bomb flowers, Muddlebuds, and Puffshrooms are located around mushroom "trees" in the depths. These trees are larger than the ones you can cut down (but not necessarily the gigantic ones! It's also around the smaller ones too) so if you're exploring, constantly keep your head on a swivel for picking up more items.
-Bombs are self-explanatory but seriously always pick them up
-Muddlebuds will "confuse" enemies so they attack each other. If you shoot a muddlebud at an armored enemy, they will solo the rest of the enemies of their tier and lower. A silver Moblin will clear camps for you. The duration runs out pretty quick so you might have to hit them a couple times, but you barely have to lift a finger.
-Puffshrooms will create huge clouds of smoke that stick around for longer than you'd expect. These are offensive tools. When an enemy is in the smokecloud, you can hit them with a Sneakstrike for extra damage, even if they were already aware of your presence. Normal Sneakstrikes do 8x damage, Eightfold Blades do 16x damage. An Eightfold Blade with a strong part fused to it can clear camps.
-Golden Rule of Making Rupees: If you had to kill a monster to get it, save it. If you picked it up off the ground, sell that poo poo. If you killed an animal to get it, cook it and then sell that poo poo. It is trivial to get the latter two types of items, even if you need a shitload of it later. Notable exception to this rule is Amber, which is used a lot for armor upgrades (especially the Hylian set which you can upgrade cheaply and early), and Diamonds, which are used to craft legendary weapons like the Great Eagle Bow
-Sell the sapphires, rubies, topazes, and opals.
-If you've hit upon a few different types of recipes that you regularly make, and you never use certain types of ingredients, sell them

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

rko posted:

You don’t need to activate any towers to beat the game; there’s nothing stopping you from that challenge run, and you might be surprised at just how much of the game is possible without the glider.
yes but i like the towers and being able to see where im going, the towers are nice

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hot drat, those are solid starting points.

I'm gonna' be recovering from surgery for a while and won't walk for a year, (gonna' be fine; spirits are high) and BotW got me through my divorce and early transition, so I'm really hoping TotK can be the world I escape into as I recover. Zelda's great for that.

Thank you all so much. Any other hints welcome too. Particularly rupee farming. I miss cheesing snow bowling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I didn't need that much money until I started doing a bunch of armor upgrades late in the game. Up until then, I had a healthy rupee income just from using the souls collected during my underground exploration to buy armor, and then selling that off for rupees. There's a ton of souls down there, and they have a solid exchange rate doing it that way.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I gotta build one of these super launchers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEW6S7-0d7w

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's a lot of arrow and exclamation mark videos on this and that rupee farming method, but with the removal of the jump dupe it became easier by far to just put an podcast on and do some circuits in the snowfield for meat. Like 30 minutes and you're set. Prime kebabs sell for like 300 each, regular meat ones sell for less but still good considering you get a lot more, or you can just turn that into your buffing and healing foods so the trip is a 2 in 1

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think this generation of Zeldas benefits so much from discovery, both in the world and in learning how the mechanics and physics play together, that if you're going to read extensive guides and spoilers you might as well just play something else.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tender Bender posted:

I think this generation of Zeldas benefits so much from discovery, both in the world and in learning how the mechanics and physics play together, that if you're going to read extensive guides and spoilers you might as well just play something else.
An incredibly true statement about BotW, but a significantly less true statement about TotK for anyone who played BotW.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Naw if you're a thorough explorer you'll be pretty much set on everything you need when you need it, unless you're maxing out a difficult armor to max out. Most of the big traps are at the beginning for this kind of player which is why it's good to let people know to finish the first few base camp quests so they have all the tools they need. I really only ever did the meat circuit when I needed to restock on healing items, the prime meat thing just ensured I never had to abandon my dreams of filling a mansion with gems.

An inventory full of meat kebabs is also healing that is a bank in a pinch. Just fuse everything to everything to see what it does and spin2win every boss and you'll be fine

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Epic High Five posted:

There's a lot of arrow and exclamation mark videos on this and that rupee farming method, but with the removal of the jump dupe it became easier by far to just put an podcast on and do some circuits in the snowfield for meat. Like 30 minutes and you're set. Prime kebabs sell for like 300 each, regular meat ones sell for less but still good considering you get a lot more, or you can just turn that into your buffing and healing foods so the trip is a 2 in 1

For me, it's been:

Mark the Six Overworld Rare Taluses on the map.

Get a two-handed weapon and make it a hammer with a blunt fusion. Preferably a Boulder Breaker with a Rare Talus heart fused to it, but Royal Claymore is good as a backup.

Visit the five Overworld Rare Taluses that can be killed with a spin-to-win and slay them. Hit up the sixth if you want.

Sell as many of the diamonds you get doing this as you feel comfortable. I usually keep 3

Repeat each blood moon until you're comfortable, then just do it whenever you need more cash.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

None of these are plot spoilers, just general ideas. Other posters, let me know if you think I should spoil move anything behind the tags.

I used a tutorial to find the Fierce Deity Armor and put all my energy into upgrading that. The difference of playing with a strong armor and an unupgraded armor is huge. You have to start the great fairy quest line by becoming an employee of the newspaper, and then they all start at the stable that is nearest wherever the fairy has relocated to. After that you completing a bunch of little building tasks, and I had somehow missed the start point on it which is why I looked up a tutorial for it.

Autobuild is huge, once you get that it makes the crafting system make so much more sense.

As you explore the sky islands, you'll find some that are places to get good ingredients. There's a few that consistently have hearty bass, or hearty radishes, fast frogs, fairies, etc. Marking those on the map with the cookpot stamp was helpful for me, and then I could just pop back over to those places as needed.

Fusing things to weapons will increase their durability, so even if you're just adding some lowly +2 strength to it with a rock or whatever, you'll make the underlying sword last longer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/saiotoko002/status/1729816402536624191?s=46

Flying bug discovered

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

We're like 90% of the way to space capsule technology for the next game

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
That’d be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Apparently an alien invasion was an idea seriously considered for BotW, so that's not too far outside the realm of possibility