Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's not even just draws, I've seen runs to the outside!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I do find it fascinating how useful rb screens can be and how awful wr screens tend to be, at the nfl level. Yet some coaches just refuse to let it go.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

QB draw out of shotgun seemed to stop working around the time McNair and Culpepper got old, it's weird to still see it.

Worked OK on that final play vs Buffalo last night :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I do find it fascinating how useful rb screens can be and how awful wr screens tend to be, at the nfl level. Yet some coaches just refuse to let it go.

If you can't throw it downfield, there's very few plays that can open up the middle of the field at all for the running game, and screens are it basically. You need those to slow down the safeties and linebackers by at least a step, even if they're going to be wasted plays most of the time.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Zurreco posted:

Imagine rooting for the Chargers.

This post was made by a Bears fan.

I’m both because I like pain

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

indigi posted:

2) teams lining up in shotgun on 3rd or 4th and 1. you're limiting your options completely unnecessarily coming out in shotgun. and even worse, coaches will call designed QB runs out of this look. I hate it so much and love it when teams fail to convert.

This pisses me off so much, we really need an Offensive Incompetence thread just to highlight these terrible plays

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

indigi posted:

2) teams lining up in shotgun on 3rd or 4th and 1. you're limiting your options completely unnecessarily coming out in shotgun. and even worse, coaches will call designed QB runs out of this look. I hate it so much and love it when teams fail to convert.

This and QB's staring down receivers is my biggest complaint this season. Whatever happened to looking off defensive backs to open up more passing lanes?

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Coaches on all levels seem to really love screens way out of proportion to their effectiveness, but it's especially bad in the NFL outside of one or two teams who can get it to work somehow

I think it's because it's just a really prescriptive, controlled play where players basically have to do what the coach wants them to

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

joe football posted:

Coaches on all levels seem to really love screens way out of proportion to their effectiveness, but it's especially bad in the NFL outside of one or two teams who can get it to work somehow

I think it's because it's just a really prescriptive, controlled play where players basically have to do what the coach wants them to

I think it's more that when the pass rush is really killing you, you have to do something. And screens are one of the few consistent options there.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
WR Screens are at a disadvantage most of the time blocker-wise. There is usually one more defender than there is blockers and the ball carrier usually needs to either get lucky or make a very good move to do anything other than get tackled +- 2 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Compare this to RB screens where the goal is to like trick most of the DL and any blitzers into going after the QB so the RB ends up with a wall of blockers in front of him against a smaller number of defenders.

Basically the WR only makes sense to either keep the defense from sending too many guys inside or if the defense is in some kind of weird alignment.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

If you can't throw it downfield, there's very few plays that can open up the middle of the field at all for the running game, and screens are it basically. You need those to slow down the safeties and linebackers by at least a step, even if they're going to be wasted plays most of the time.

This is it. It's like how Shanahan will call a loser run up the middle 5 times in a game just to set up the screen that goes 50 yards.

The Ravens passing game is at its best attacking the middle of the field and they need to manufacture space somehow to get it moving smoothly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is it. It's like how Shanahan will call a loser run up the middle 5 times in a game just to set up the screen that goes 50 yards.

The Ravens passing game is at its best attacking the middle of the field and they need to manufacture space somehow to get it moving smoothly.

As bad as WR screens are, they're at least better then Jet sweep motions.

My god do I hate a bad jet sweep motion

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not sure the last time I saw a jet sweep work.

Every time I see one I'm just happy if we don't fumble or lose more than a few yards.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://twitter.com/YahooFantasy/status/1728992776153686161?t=3PJM6gOaF-r2-udAgP4Vcg&s=19

Jet sweep is okay when done right.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Unlike the moralistic prude Patrick Mahomes, Zay Flowers had love for the degenerates who needed Baltimore to cover

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

He had two TD celebrations lined up and drat if he wasn’t gonna get to both of them

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

absolutely nothing better than a well-timed corner blitz

https://twitter.com/blaiden/status/1728993018152358398#m

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AndrewP posted:

absolutely nothing better than a well-timed corner blitz

https://twitter.com/blaiden/status/1728993018152358398#m

Somehow this is Herbert's fault. After calling out the correct protection. Having 1.5 seconds to throw the ball. Where no WRs turned around. While Ekeler ignored him and stayed on the right side.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a neat cape posted:

Somehow this is Herbert's fault. After calling out the correct protection. Having 1.5 seconds to throw the ball. Where no WRs turned around. While Ekeler ignored him and stayed on the right side.

Herbert just isn't clutch

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

a neat cape posted:

Sounds like a leadership problem

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
As an aside I really like the dark lightning bolt logo at midfield

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Black Lighter posted:

I think it's more that when the pass rush is really killing you, you have to do something. And screens are one of the few consistent options there.

Line up in I-formation and run power away from the blitz. Just like the Founding Fathers intended.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a neat cape posted:

It’d atrocious by the coaching staff. How you don’t see that coming and adjust your playcall with something that gives him somewhere to go. Nobody is even close to looking his way - what can he do?!?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Midnightghoul posted:

Sounds like a leadership problem

kinda yeah, leaders get their followers to listen

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

indigi posted:

kinda yeah, leaders get their followers to listen

mad props to Jim Jones and his leadership skills

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hey the Jonestown basketball team all made it

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Been playing around with the playoff machine and after this week, there's no realistic path to the playoffs for Buffalo. Their most realistic path left is to win the division by winning one more game than the Dolphins down the stretch and then beating the Dolphins in Miami in Week 17.

There are some other paths but they are very convoluted and require a lot of other teams in the hunt to lose games they are probably going to win.

The Bills need a lot of help now and the odds look really bad for them to get it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Black Sunshine posted:

mad props to Jim Jones and his leadership skills

Even after firing someone on the airstrip, the whole team went out with a Gatorade Flavor Aid shower.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

a neat cape posted:

So you're saying it's the fault of literally all 10 other players? He called the correct protection and told the receivers what to do, but literally none of them did it correctly? Or is it more likely that he didnt do that?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Line up in I-formation and run power away from the blitz. Just like the Founding Fathers intended.

Unfortunately, you need to roster a fullback in order to do that and too many cowards are afraid to do so

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there's a chance the team is so poorly coached that they didn’t know what he was talking about

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Watching this footwork Bryce is about 2/3rds of the way to a Mac Jones

https://twitter.com/WinksTape/status/1729193757168574909

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

qb derangement syndrome is spreading. just kidding. my qb is a real piece of poo poo made out of paper but now he's got 275 million clones of himself at his house where he lives with daltos and me in cincinnati if you know what i mean. if not then mmmmm step into mmm step into my office lol.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Kalli posted:

Woof. He’s either not seeing the field at all or he’s completely unwilling to trust his own eyes. I’m not sure which is worse!

Like, in addition to the bad footwork and terrible decision.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kalli posted:

His footwork and dropback are just so bad. Did he do that at Bama? Why wouldn't you have tried to coach that out of him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Number19 posted:

Been playing around with the playoff machine and after this week, there's no realistic path to the playoffs for Buffalo. Their most realistic path left is to win the division by winning one more game than the Dolphins down the stretch and then beating the Dolphins in Miami in Week 17.

There are some other paths but they are very convoluted and require a lot of other teams in the hunt to lose games they are probably going to win.

The Bills need a lot of help now and the odds look really bad for them to get it.

A bunch of underlying metrics make it seem like the Bills are actually pretty potent. Maybe they get some luck their way for the rest of the season :)

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

King Hong Kong posted:

Even after firing someone on the airstrip, the whole team went out with a Gatorade Flavor Aid shower.

That's probably the most offensive part of everything that happened. The least you can do is give people the name brand poo poo, like what the hell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

His legs are so bouncy. I bet his bones are light. Like a birds.

I keep watching this and imagine Bryce calling out the play in the huddle like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcXgjU0Gh8&t=42s

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 27, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why not just bench him for the year, start Dalton, and rebuild him? Dude needs help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Number19 posted:

I managed to get the Bills into the playoffs. I was trying to get the Patriots in, but didn't have any luck :sickos:. The Patriots are essentially eliminated.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/m...3~2~401547565~2

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 27, 2023