Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
around the 20th anniversary of MST3K I read at least one article about how it would be impossible to do the show ever again, because getting rights had become so much more expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Look at this guy never watched Death Race 2000 :v:

Amusingly if you ever want to see somebody go off on the notion of Corman under budget = good read the Amazing Colossal Guide and see both Kevin and Mary Jo take shots at it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Amusingly if you ever want to see somebody go off on the notion of Corman under budget = good read the Amazing Colossal Guide and see both Kevin and Mary Jo take shots at it.

I was more contending the idea that Corman's films are all bland.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It is impossible to repay all that Roger Corman has given us.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is shout putting out the physical releases of the new seasons? If so, they should definitely put up for making more new seasons.

https://shoutfactory.com/pages/search-results?q=mystery+science+theater

I expect that is one of the future avenues they are looking into, since Shout has a vested interest in there being more products both to sell, and to bring attention to films that they already hold the license to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've seen that mountain before.

IT MUST BE FOLLOWING US!

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, the Season 13 episodes during the Turkey Day Marathon really drove this point home. I swear to god the credits (even without the Kickstarter backer list) are five times longer than the originals.

This boggled my mind, how many people does it take to produce a show comprised entirely of people talking directly to a fixed camera in front of a green screen?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heeelp I'm falling at a sixty degree angle breaking all the laws of physiiics!

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

My mustache makes me fall sideways!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Light Gun Man posted:

seems like the whole concept of a movie host show is somewhat enivitably tied to a network or similar larger company. it's a symbiosis. they existed to fill time with movies the station already had. crowdfunding it is just trying to do it backwards.

obviously it would be great if you could just do host shows independently without issue, but it's rare. Mr. Lobo seems to be pulling it off, he has a network kind of but I think he also runs that? it's unclear. I assume Svengoolie has a deal with Metv, Joe Bob has one with Shudder (who seems to have one with Vinegar Syndrome and also has AMC above them). Elvira seems like she works out a new contract with the rights holders every time maybe?

Rifftrax was successful probably largely since the product they sold was just audio (at first) and thus they could make stuff for any movie they wanted to. Also means all they need are talent, writing, microphones, and time. No sets or costumes. They've evolved into a more expansive business over time at an apparently sustainable pace. I guess Legend Films was involved to some degree but how much is perhaps unclear.

If you want to be total independent with video based content you probably need to stick to public domain stuff. Which is definitely an option. But you will end up covering the same stuff as many others doing the same thing as there's only so much out there.

Maybe MST3K needs to find a way to sell video that the user can overlay onto movies? that'd be interesting. Also now that I think about it more yeah how the hell does Mr Lobo do it? I watched a movie on there once that has essentially zero Internet presence at all. The only thing you get looking it up is a letterboxd review asking if this movie is a prank or what?

Yeah I don't know how you can consistently produce a tv show like MST3k without a bigger streaming platform or tv network. Someone earlier mentioned Shout but it feels like they don't want to get into the 'making poo poo' business. They're happy just to get the rights to stuff and make discs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It is impossible to repay all that Roger Corman has given us.

No, I think he made out for himself okay. Even before WB burying films for a tax write off it's thought he got a very sizeable check to not release his FF movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dr. Forrester and Larry wearing black armbands in mourning for the mad scientist at the end of Mad Monster is a nice touch.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

No, I think he made out for himself okay. Even before WB burying films for a tax write off it's thought he got a very sizeable check to not release his FF movie.

Oh I am specifically talking about Rock n Roll High School but I get your point

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

You know, he still tried his best with that one.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's unironically the best Fantastic Four movie ever made.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Couple things re: the cost discussion

As someone who has worked in Hollywood, the budget Joel asked for these new episodes seemed very reasonable and cheap. It strikes me as a “everyone do your own makeup in your car” kind of budget.

Comparing things to 1990s Minnesota gives a wrong impression. The people on the show then had much lower living expenses and even still probably weren’t making a reasonable income. There’s a concept in economics called Baumol’s cost disease.

Which basically means that as time goes on, every job becomes more expensive to hire for. Like why is it more expensive to hire a string quartet now than it was in the 1800s? They’re doing the exact same work!

Well it’s because even if the work of the string quartet hasn’t changed, their options on the job market have and the cost of living has as well. They can choose NOT to be violinists (or makeup artists or lighting grips, etc), so if wages don’t rise then there’ll literally be no one to do the gig.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Being marooned aboard the Cybertruck of Love would be too evil.

He's literally the first mad scientist with the actual ability to arbitrarily strand someone in space, so I'm kinda on board with it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I think someone summed it up earlier in the thread when they said that modern MST3K just tends to be "okay" when compared to some of the classic episodes from the CC and Sci-Fi years. And regardless of anything else, to a lot of people, asking for nearly $5 million seems like a lot for a show that's merely "okay".

Note that I'm not disputing the actual budget in terms of how reasonable it is; others with better knowledge have already weighed in ITT. I'm speaking more of the general perception people might have, in regards to how much the show costs vs. the actual product.

Sash! posted:

He's literally the first mad scientist with the actual ability to arbitrarily strand someone in space, so I'm kinda on board with it

I take issue with the description of Elon Musk as a "scientist" of any kind, mad or otherwise. "Mad failson blood diamond billionaire ideas guy" would be a far more appropriate description.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 27, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I take issue with the description of Elon Musk as a "scientist" of any kind, mad or otherwise. "Mad failson blood diamond billionaire ideas guy" would be a far more appropriate description.

And not even a fun failson like Dr. F! Clayton would at least put a chip in your brain so you could always watch Baywatch no matter where you are or something!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

And not even a fun failson like Dr. F! Clayton would at least put a chip in your brain so you could always watch Baywatch no matter where you are or something!

Dr. Clayton Forrester is 125% more of an actual scientist than Musk could ever hope to be

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think someone summed it up earlier in the thread when they said that modern MST3K just tends to be "okay" when compared to some of the classic episodes from the CC and Sci-Fi years. And regardless of anything else, to a lot of people, asking for nearly $5 million seems like a lot for a show that's merely "okay".

Yeah, spot on.

There's some episodes in the new run I quite like. Avalanche, Cry Wilderness, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II, Carnival Magic, Mac and Me. But all of them are just "okay". They're entertaining, they're funny enough, but then I watch something like Horror of Party Beach, Werewolf, Hobgoblins or Prince of Space, and there's no comparison. The classic stuff is on a whole other level. It's especially evident in the host segments, which are the very definition of "at best OK", whereas many of the old ones are amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"A guy changed a tire, the believability is quite high here."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

We've been asked to explain the "iron and steel" joke

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That reminds me of somebody making fun of Jordan Peterson breaking down in tears over something and it's Joe Rogan telling him that this guy is trapped on a satellite and can't even control where the movies begin or end.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My memory had cheese cloth over it at this point.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"A guy changed a tire, the believability is quite high here."

Don't change a tire with your face!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sorry about my face :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slab o' face.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I do wonder if, after time, people will consider the revival seasons as right on par with the rest of the show. I remember a time when the Scifi episodes were largely considered less than their CC counterparts, which people don't really do anymore.

In fairness to the new episodes as well, the old show had an awful lot of breathing room in most of the seasons to have meh episodes, whereas today where our best hope is for 12 episodes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Sorry about my face :(

Turns out I wasn't even short! :buddy:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Make-A-Face: Design your own face!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This has been touched on but imo the original run of this show could've only been made by a bunch of people from one area who aren't necessarily professionals making something new and exciting together for not-a-whole-lot-of-money. Some of those dudes weren't even aiming for a career in TV or production, they just ended up there. I'm not sure they *can* deliver on that particular vibe just by virtue of the MST3k being a known quantity that's no longer operated by a rag-tag fresh-faced gang of youngsters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If Michael Caine and Andre the Giant had a child.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

If Michael Caine and Andre the Giant had a child.

Driver, would you tell him I’m not speaking with him?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

These men are ready for action. Women adore them; men respect them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

This has been touched on but imo the original run of this show could've only been made by a bunch of people from one area who aren't necessarily professionals making something new and exciting together for not-a-whole-lot-of-money. Some of those dudes weren't even aiming for a career in TV or production, they just ended up there. I'm not sure they *can* deliver on that particular vibe just by virtue of the MST3k being a known quantity that's no longer operated by a rag-tag fresh-faced gang of youngsters.

Most of the people involved with the new series grew up watching the original. Their sensibilities are informed by the old show, which necessarily makes them different. You can only invent riffing once. It’s not bad, but it is something I’ve noticed with the writers this time—the original show has a special status to them. Emily Marsh has fond childhood memories of (I think) Hobgoblins. That has to affect how they work with Joel and think of their work.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't know if it can really be overstated that, in addition to everything else about the original production run, Hair Brain Productions/Best Brains, Inc. benefitted heavily from the sweetheart deal CC gave them. We might not even have reached the Sci-Fi years let alone the Kickstarter campaigns if they'd had to sell executives on each individual season as they came.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Make-A-Face: Design your own face!

Man that guy's got a little face...

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1729286307447177582?t=SEMy0tqgtILBz1sCPd5T_A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That's right, hide behind jive talk