Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

dats filmmakin baby

independence day kicks rear end and will forever kick rear end (we dont talk about independence day 2)

it's a perfect movie to be sure, and it excels I think largely because the one dimensional archetype characters are being performed by some of the most stellar actors of the era rather than like... Matthew Broderick and Woody Harrelson of his later films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

heath and Liam carried em hard over the finish line

and Cillian Murphy, i know everybody says Heath but i think Murph is the actual best villain in those movies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the batman is based

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

always. I hated it before it was cool

I don’t even mean it in an edgelord popular thing=bad way, it genuinely is not good. action sucks dick, audio mixing sucks dick, elliot pages character sucks dick,and it was insanely boring

i tried rewatching Inception recently and it's absolutely interminable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the batman is based

that's right, based on a comic book superhero

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
oh yea I forgot to mention decaprio also just looks immensely bored and constipated after holding in a poo poo for 2 weeks

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
one thing that's hilarious about inception is that they do a standard action movie trick of increasing the stakes in the middle of the movie by revealing that they're so heavily sedated that they'll be stuck in "limbo" if they die in a dream, which is like the worst fate possible... except we immediately find out that leo was in limbo with his wife and he got out just by trying really hard, and he's totally fine

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

robert pattinson batman has gotta be the most loving boring superhero movie i've ever seen but i like that they tried to light the whole movie with a single red lightbulb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Pattinson is a passable Batman but a terrible Bruce Wayne

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
lots of ppl itt didn't "get" inception lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

It’s me. I’m the philistine scum that liked Inception. I’m sorry everyone

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cillian murphy, an uncomfortable looking dude with an uncomfortable name

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JGL is handsome and charming so Inception is good

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

ok there we go at least 1 person gets it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

cillian murphy, an uncomfortable looking dude with an uncomfortable name

Murphy is also handsome and charming how dare you besmirch him

You coule carve a ham on those cheekbones

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Murphy is also handsome and charming how dare you besmirch him

You coule carve a ham on those cheekbones

he looks like alfie

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I love Inception because it’s a Cyberpunk thriller

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

lots of ppl itt didn't "get" inception lol

ohhhh, i get it now: it sucks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the Katrina part at the end of Pattinson Batman was really well done and maybe the only time in the past decade of superhero movies where I felt any anxiety for the danger the characters were in

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i can never get over the HE CROSSED A LINE quote from new batman like bro comeon

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Inception is a problematic like because Dr. Rick from Rick and Morty doesn’t like it and it triggers his alcoholism

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Inception is eh but its muted action movie tone serves the narrative of the film. The plot beats would be even more arbitrary if the heist had to happen in an exhuberant trippy Wonderland.

The funniest scene is still the completely unnecessary part where Watanabe informs these dudes doing a purely mercenary job that actually they're the good guys because uhh... energy monopoly or some poo poo? Who cares.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

also why Brick is good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

jgl really had a moment in the 2010s, wonder what hes up to these days

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

He tried to launch his own YouTube competitor and was thus put down like a dog in the secret water tower observation room of the Warner Bros lot

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Al! posted:

I really liked him in Hesher.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

He tried to launch his own YouTube competitor and was thus put down like a dog in the secret water tower observation room of the Warner Bros lot

he was pushing it as a more indie, crowd sourced film-making enterprise

but it had skeevy 'work for exposure' vibes to it

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

after reading his wiki and about his wife we better move this to the epstein thread

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

always happy to see jgl in a movie

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/22/tech/openai-cast-of-characters-altman/index.html posted:

Tasha McCauley

McCauley joined the board of OpenAI in 2018 and is chief executive officer of GeoSim Systems, a 3D city modeling company based in Israel. She once served as CEO of a robotics company called Fellow Robots and has been an adjunct senior management scientist at Rand Corporation. Married to actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, she serves on the advisory board of the Centre for the Governance of AI. McCauley has a bachelor’s from Bard College and an MBA from the University of Southern California.

israeli defense company and the Rand corporation, drat

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he was in that godawful looking Sorkin Chicago 7 movie wasn't he

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

everyone is required to watch sorkins chicago 7

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Let's say there's a really popular show, with hour long episodes, that streams on Netflix. One day, Netflix drops a new 13 episode season of this show at 12 pm EST. For some reason, the season disappears at 8 pm. There would definitely be people who had seen the last episodes out there, right? There's sickos who watch seasons of dramas out of order, right?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
There's probably a whole industry of people watching shows and movies the second they're available at 2x speed to get the first summary/recap articles up

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Popy posted:

everyone is required to watch sorkins chicago 7

make me

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

There's probably a whole industry of people watching shows and movies the second they're available at 2x speed to get the first summary/recap articles up

Oh poo poo I didn't consider watching at double speed

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

recap articles being a thing are such a funny contrast to people who claim tv is good now. "oh no actually tv rivals movies for storytelling these days!" meanwhile the dominant form of tv criticism is articles explaining what you just watched to braindead viewers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

pfft just have an ai spin up the recap based on other people's recaps. so simple

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

it's a perfect movie to be sure, and it excels I think largely because the one dimensional archetype characters are being performed by some of the most stellar actors of the era rather than like... Matthew Broderick and Woody Harrelson of his later films

the effects hold up too thanks to all the miniatures and the part where the ayylmao verbalizes via strangling Data owns so hard because its just like "what do these inscrutable aliens want????" and they're like "we just want you all to gently caress off and die"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

is this the proper time and venue to say inception sucks

I liked it better when it was called Paprika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

indigi posted:

Pattinson is a passable Batman but a terrible Bruce Wayne

i liked the new batman movie better knowing that he was intentionally supposed to be a dumbass loser who makes everything worse, but the execs forced in that last line about how he's going to #DoBetter