Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My Colombian friends that have gone to Italy have no problem navigating even though they just know Spanish and English. France was a completely different matter, on the other hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sparta to Athens

https://twitter.com/hankofjuly/status/1728538838941757737

Yes I know about Lysander!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Nice! posted:

My Colombian friends that have gone to Italy have no problem navigating even though they just know Spanish and English. France was a completely different matter, on the other hand.

French is a fuckin weird outlier. The other Romance languages are mutually intelligible to a great extent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

French has a lot more Germanic influence right? A consequence of the blending with Frankish?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

French has Germanic influence sure, but it seems to have a lot of traits that I don't think are common in modern German either. I think they just went and developed into their own weird thing independent of external linguistic influences and roots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did all those other languages have central planning for 500 years?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SlothfulCobra posted:

French has Germanic influence sure, but it seems to have a lot of traits that I don't think are common in modern German either. I think they just went and developed into their own weird thing independent of external linguistic influences and roots.

The linguistic equivalent of the Citroen 2CV.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

French is a fuckin weird outlier. The other Romance languages are mutually intelligible to a great extent.

How un-latin like is Romanian?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

zoux posted:

Did all those other languages have central planning for 500 years?

You mean 400?

Spain sure has for over 300! And Italy's is even older than France's, though I'm not sure how influential it actually was on the language.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spoon daddy posted:

I've had a factoid floating around in my head for decades, that Romanian is actually the closest modern language to Roman Latin. Is that remotely true?

Fuschia tude posted:

You mean 400?

Spain sure has for over 300! And Italy's is even older than France's, though I'm not sure how influential it actually was on the language.

The fact that I don't hear Latin Americans lisping their c's gives me some idea of the Spanish academy's influence.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

zoux posted:

I've had a factoid floating around in my head for decades, that Romanian is actually the closest modern language to Roman Latin. Is that remotely true?

The fact that I don't hear Latin Americans lisping their c's gives me some idea of the Spanish academy's influence.

Well, it's only been possible to tell people how to pronounce things in a decent way for a bit over a century.
So for those first couple of centuries, they were necessarily limited to telling people how to spell things

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I think there was also a whole kerfuffle a couple centuries back about whether Latin Americans have to listen to what the Spanish want them to do. Got pretty heated, to my understanding.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

spoon daddy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5CYM0YSDR4

Never really listened to Romanian before, I can def understand a bit from the scraps of Spanish and Italian I know.

E: This animal one is actually super easy to understand since so much of English scientific terminology is Latin.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 27, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5CYM0YSDR4

Never really listened to Romanian before, I can def understand a bit from the scraps of Spanish and Italian I know.

E: This animal one is actually super easy to understand since so much of English scientific terminology is Latin.

This is a very interesting exercise. One modern quirk i'm always struck by when listening to non-American english speakers is how every language in the world uses "OK" now, and we still don't know the etymology behind it.

I know this isn't something we could know definitively, so I'm just asking for opinions, but do you think the three modern latin speakers would be intelligible to Roman citizen Johnus Q Publicus in AD 1? With further respect to ancient languages, same question but for modern Greeks and classical and/or Koine greek?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, "squamous" is a huge tell because it means scale-shaped and that's a very common medical term.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All indo European languages sound the same to me these days.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

OK as short for "Oll Korrect" seems pretty reasonably supported.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think one of the big things about French compared to the other Romance languages is that the sounds it uses are very Germanic, even if the grammar and lexicon is still very Latin-based. Most of the Mediterranean Romance languages have a pretty similar roster of phonemes but then there's French with it's uvular r and throaty nasalized vowels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

OK as short for "Oll Korrect" seems pretty reasonably supported.

Yeah but that's the one that pisses me off the most, so I reject it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

zoux posted:

Yeah but that's the one that pisses me off the most, so I reject it.
That's how historians decide on dating the fall of the roman empire so I suppose it's a legitimate historiographic method.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eldoop posted:

I think there was also a whole kerfuffle a couple centuries back about whether Latin Americans have to listen to what the Spanish want them to do. Got pretty heated, to my understanding.

I know you’re joking about independence, but it did remind me of how the Portuguese got mad when language selection menus started putting the Brazilian flag next the Portuguese option.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Portugal não é um pais pequeno :cry:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2023/11/25/persephone-is-in-the-underworld-during-the-summer-not-the-winter/

Huh, pretty cool. Or hot I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

galagazombie posted:

I know you’re joking about independence, but it did remind me of how the Portuguese got mad when language selection menus started putting the Brazilian flag next the Portuguese option.

Did they get mad when João VI moved the whole loving court there

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Considering Napoleon was invading them? I think they give him somewhat a pass. Shout-out to Civ V for loving up and making his literally insane mother a leader though, hilarious decision

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah in my experience the Portuguese <> Spanish <> Italian mutual intelligibility is real but starts breaking down as soon as anyone tries to convey anything much more complex than renting a car.

One funny experience was watching Amores Perros with Spanish housemates who had to read the English subtitles to understand anything.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah in my experience the Portuguese <> Spanish <> Italian mutual intelligibility is real but starts breaking down as soon as anyone tries to convey anything much more complex than renting a car.

One funny experience was watching Amores Perros with Spanish housemates who had to read the English subtitles to understand anything.

More of a linguistics question than an ancient history question but there may be some element of convergence rather than just lack-of-divergence going on. You mention renting a car, an activity that I specifically think post-dates those languages fissioning.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

zoux posted:

I've read it's actually Sardinian, though I do not know enough to verify that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sardinian is generally considered the most conservative Romance language yeah.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's been canned up forever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kylaer posted:

gently caress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

Isn't there speculation that some faint Etruscan traits live on in Sardinian? And that those features suggest a relationship between Etruscan and Basque?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where I worked at least it was pretty much understood that Brazilian Portuguese speakers could understand Latin American Spanish speakers, but the intelligibility did not go the other way. I don't speak either language but I was told that the vowels and stresses are all different in Portuguese, which was difficult for Spanish speakers to hear right because Spanish has very regular vowel sounds and very even syllable stress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kylaer posted:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

French is the Danish of Romance language:
-No one can understand them
-Say numbers wrong
-Skip half the letters in every word due to terminal mushmouth
-bicycles
-racist

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Children didnt attempt to go on a crusade and instead just all got sold into slavery?

Not really, no.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
Olive oil?

You dip bread in it and it tastes funny. What otherwise do you do in Rome circa 200AD that makes this valuable?

Really is this a fried food thing?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lube

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

lamps

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

statim posted:

Olive oil?

You dip bread in it and it tastes funny. What otherwise do you do in Rome circa 200AD that makes this valuable?

Really is this a fried food thing?

Much like butter, it adds a lot more calories and fat to your food, which is important for people who may be suffering from food shortages or malnutrition.

There's also a thing where it's used for cleaning, but I never really understood that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never seen fightclub?