Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I could be convinced that Mauer is a Hall of Famer but voting for Beltre and Mauer and no one else seems absolutely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
That ballot makes sense to me if you're not voting for the PED guys.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That ballot has to be from a Minneapolis writer

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Isn't Mauer a definite HOFer if you compare him to other catchers?

e: not a fan of the ballot, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twin Cinema posted:

Isn't Mauer a definite HOFer if you compare him to other catchers?

e: not a fan of the ballot, though.

People like to argue that he shouldn't be counted as a catcher because he had to move to 1B and play gold glove caliber defense there instead for a few years instead of retiring

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many eligible MVPs are not in the hall? In the NBA, (which obviously is a lot less strict) every eligible MVP is an inductee, though I imagine Derrick Rose will break that streak.

e: besides Barry obviously

e2: MARIS ISN'T IN THE HOF??

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 27, 2023

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Quite a few, and for good reason. No one wants Hall of Famer Justin Morneau

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

welcome posted:

That ballot makes sense to me if you're not voting for the PED guys.
how does one explain Mauer but not Helton or Utley?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Is that posada? I didn't say I think he's a HOFer either. he's also hall of very good.

Disagree with this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

People like to argue that he shouldn't be counted as a catcher because he had to move to 1B and play gold glove caliber defense there instead for a few years instead of retiring
It was more than a few years, fully half of Mauer's career PA came at 1B/DH

edit: to be pedantically precise, Mauer had 3943 PA in his career as a catcher, which is 49.5% of his 7960 total PA

compare this to say, Buster Posey: 4570 PA @ C out of 5607 total PA

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 27, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya but if Posey had been playing 1B and not gotten his leg horrifically broken we wouldn't have the nonsense slide rule at home plate so strike against him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO if you vote for less that 5 players each year you should lose your ballot

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

zoux posted:

How many eligible MVPs are not in the hall? In the NBA, (which obviously is a lot less strict) every eligible MVP is an inductee, though I imagine Derrick Rose will break that streak.

Tons of them. Like in the 2000s the following players have won MVP awards: Cody Bellinger, Giancarlo Stanton, Kris Bryant, Josh Donaldson, Ryan Braun, Josh Hamilton, Jimmy Rollins, Justin Morneau, Ryan Howard, Miguel Tejada. And it's always been like that, both because of dumb voting and genuinely deserving players not having sustained career success. Juan Gonzalez won 2 MVPs and was rightfully dropped on his first ballot.

Maris probably shouldn't be in.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

zoux posted:

Juan González won two MVPs and never sniffed the HOF. Josh Hamilton also won’t make it in. I imagine there are plenty of guys who were really drat good for a short period of time who aren’t in.

E: see above

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Other HoF catchers near Mauer in WAR & JAWS:

Bill Dickey: 6778 PA @ C out of 6906
Mickey Cochrane: 6038 PA @ C out of 6096
Mike Piazza: 6826 PA @ C out of 7745
Ted Simmons: 7279 PA @ C out of 9685

There really isn't any precedent for a player like Mauer. Simply comparing his stats to other catchers feels inadequate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Roger Maris has 38 career WAR, not even close. He's also no where close to the traditional standards either, with only 1325 Hits and 275 Home Runs

Baseball is littered with guys who had a hot season or a nice little peak but lacked longevity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that bbwa decided it should be another way, but I like the NBAs model of "here's guys who were very good and important to the game" vs. MLB's shrine model. Any HoF that doesn't include a guy who held the sports most prestigious and sought after record for 40 years isn't a very good hall of fame, in this non-baseball writer's opinion.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zoux posted:

My "Wow he's not in the HOF????" guy was always Don Newcombe. Not that he should be or is a clear HOFer but he's a guy whose name really echoed throughout the history of the game and who has at least 1 indelible moment in baseball and US history.

Maybe it's just because his name stuck with me though.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 27, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mauer should be in the HoF because he is a very good player who played for a single franchise his entire career and retired beloved. Keeping him out because he's borderline would just be a jerk thing to do to Twins fans.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Like that's the sole reason Yadier Molina is going to be a 1st ballot HoF inductee and if I have to watch Yadier get inducted then Mauer absolutely deserves it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMidnight posted:

Quite the low bar

Yeah that was a bad way for me to say that I feel like people are very down on Gray this off-season for some reason. He's not gonna give you 200 IP, but he's a good pitcher still!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There are a lot of players that should get in if Molina is going to be first-ballot. Like Russell Martin.

zoux posted:

I know that bbwa decided it should be another way, but I like the NBAs model of "here's guys who were very good and important to the game" vs. MLB's shrine model. Any HoF that doesn't include a guy who held the sports most prestigious and sought after record for 40 years isn't a very good hall of fame, in this non-baseball writer's opinion.
I would not call the single-season home run record the most prestigious and sought after record in baseball

The career record is definitely a bigger deal

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 27, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Juan Gonzalez, now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

Donruss '88 red cards with the player's name scripted in white, there's a memory for y'all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Maris is nowhere near the Hall of Fame standard, not even by the standards of like Jim Rice and Andre Dawson.

If you want to make Lloyd Waner the standard then OK, but now you've got about 100 well qualified outfielders.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maris is nowhere near the Hall of Fame standard, not even by the standards of like Jim Rice and Andre Dawson.

If you want to make Lloyd Waner the standard then OK, but now you've got about 100 well qualified outfielders.

The best part of that old Olbermann/Patrick book "The Big Show" is when Keith lists 100 guys (with at least a paragraph each!) who Should Be in the HOF. Some really great names and history in there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let's play another round of MYSTERY PLAYER comparing Maris to an outfielder from 30-40 years ago who is not in the Hall of Fame and I don't think survived the second ballot:

bWAR
Maris: 38.3
MYSTERY OUTFIELDER: 49.7

bWAA
Maris: 19.8
MO: 20.5

Top 5 seasons
Maris: 7.5, 6.9, 3.8, 3.7, 3.6
MO: 6.8, 5.1, 5.0, 4.9, 4.9

bWAR thinks both were poor defenders and actually gives Maris a substantial advantage in that area, so this is not a matter of the defensive numbers being funky. Maris just had a very very short peak.

Brett Butler

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Molina gets in, might as well put Russell Martin and Brian McCann in too.

Mauer deserves to get in because he was very good and was at one point a top 5 player in all of baseball.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bawfuls posted:

how does one explain Mauer but not Helton or Utley?

Minnesota writer? Win Share fan? There's a lot of Hall of Very Good on the ballot this year, people are going to draw their lines in weird places.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

There are a lot of players that should get in if Molina is going to be first-ballot. Like Russell Martin.

HoF discourse has really exemplified for me how many underrated catchers I've gotten to watch in my lifetime.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

mdemone posted:

Donruss '88 red cards with the player's name scripted in white, there's a memory for y'all

You fool! It was 1990 Donruss!

Kidding obviously. The 1988 were the boring blue border ones. 1990 was sure a design.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I don't care about the HOF, Mauer was great regardless. I do think some people have forgotten what he accomplished as a catcher. He's sorta getting knocked for not hanging it up after concussions forced him off the position. His WAR in seasons primarily played as a catcher are in line with those of the entire careers of Posado, Molina, and Posey. Mauer spent 9 seasons as a stud catcher with hardware. Metrics like JAWS rank him higher among all catchers, because he out hit many of them in their peaks. His defense was always considered good for the position.

Mauer also took some level of discount to stay with the Twins, then made every effort to be a valuable contributor at 1B, when that transition became necessary. I don't get why that should just be thrown out the window, when his peak at catcher was demonstrably high level. He played out his contract, then retired. Mauer's entire career deserves credit, even if he was a marginal player at the end. Many catchers are marginal at the end of their careers too, but didn't manage to accumulate the level of WAR Mauer did.

If you think the only catchers that should be in are those that exclusively play 15+ seasons, all at catcher (which, in fairness, is what comprises the top tier of HOF catching), fine. However, I think it's important to note baseball did change during the era of this class. The way modern catchers are used, it could be decades before someone puts up 65+ WAR playing ~80% of games at C for their career. Nobody is remotely close right now. After every decade having one or two catchers put in the hall (the 60s had a short window without a HOF catcher in baseball, before Bench arrived), the post-aughts and at this point the 2020s, will not have a catcher that meets the historic standards. That player may never come around again given the trajectory of baseball.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GPTribefan posted:

You fool! It was 1990 Donruss!

Kidding obviously. The 1988 were the boring blue border ones. 1990 was sure a design.

:corsair:

I should have remembered because I have about fifty 1988 Tom Glavine Donruss rookie cards

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm too lazy to look it up, how much WAR does Realmuto have?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Realmuto has 33 bWAR through his age 32 season. He's fighting age more than anything. He's been a pure catcher though, and could maybe make an interesting case by maintaining what he does for awhile longer. Seems unlikely though.

Adley is the next possibility in the MLB, but started at age 24 at a position that sees careers end early.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Adley will probably get moved off catcher as soon as he suffers his first month-plus injury

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

mdemone posted:

That was Donruss 1990. 1988 were mostly blue borders.

I owned too many junk wax cards.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think I have like ten Sammy Sosa RCs from that Donruss '90 set

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Milovan Drecun posted:

His WAR in seasons primarily played as a catcher are in line with those of the entire careers of Posado, Molina, and Posey.
I think all those guys are very borderline too. I suspect the BBWAA disagrees though and Mauer/Molina/Posey will all get in without much trouble. JAWS and WAR rank Mauer above Posey because Mauer moved to DH when Posey simply retired. They were very comparable hitters. Seems notable though that Posey put up a 140 OPS+ at age 34 before he walked away, while Mauer averaged a 105 OPS+ from 31-35 as a DH. In general I'd say Posey was the better player, and was simply satisfied to walk away sooner.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 28, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

To the BBWAA Salvador Perez and his 37 career WAR or whatever will be the borderline guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Perez will probably linger on the ballot for years while the superior Russell Martin will fall off in one.