Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The weirdest and/or most annoying poo poo happened to me. I was supposed to get on a HND -> ATL -> YYZ flight at 7:30 PM, but at 8 AM this morning I checked my Delta app and suddenly there's a layover in LAX(!?) with an impossible connection in ATL (flight landing after connection leaves). So I call Delta to try to figure out what is going on and they tell me that the plain is going to have a diversion for a medical emergency with the pilot, so they have to land in LAX to get the pilot off the plane, but that we'd be taking off 15 minutes after landing and be on my way. I asked how they knew that the pilot was going to have a medical emergency nearly an entire day before it happens and the agent says he doesn't know and is telling me what is on the ATC sheet. :wtc:

Anyways, I ask about the impossible connection on the app and he says that's a mistake and I should be fine because there was a 4 hour layover originally so I'm like weird but whatever.

Well at 3:30 I check my app to double check when I have to leave for the airport and see all sorts of alerts about my flight needing to change. Turns out I would miss that connection after all. The app offers me a flight with an additional segment in main cabin from MSP to ATL. Oh, also it leaves in 2 hours better book it to the airport, scrub! No, I didn't get an email or push notification.

So I rush to the train and desperately call Delta and they assure me that it's HND -> ATL -> YYZ, just 2 hours earlier, and that there isn't a main cabin segment. I'm like okay, but I'm on a subway train in the middle of Tokyo and I might not make it. She says she can offer me a partner flight directly from HND to YYZ, but I'd have to be in main cabin (:cry:) and there's no other options today so hurry your rear end or sit in coach for 22 hours. There's no way I was doing that ever again so I rush to the airport and roll up to the agent desk.

The agent says that actually it is HND -> MSP -> ATL -> YYZ, and yes the MSP -> ATL segment is regular economy and they don't have any room in comfort+ or business for me so take it or leave it. Also you have to decide now or your bags aren't going with you.

So anyways, I'm waiting to take off and really loving annoyed.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I've been in that situation before, and it's one of the downsides of using GUCs. While DL can open confirmed space for you on their own metal during travel disruption, they will not do it for other airlines while honoring the upgrade.

Basically if you're on paid Y/PE, upgraded with a GUC, they will throw you back into Y. If you were in J, then even partner space opens in confirmed J. HND-YYZ is also Air Canada, which is not a DL partner, nobody else flies that directly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

I've been in that situation before, and it's one of the downsides of using GUCs. While DL can open confirmed space for you on their own metal during travel disruption, they will not do it for other airlines while honoring the upgrade.

Basically if you're on paid Y/PE, upgraded with a GUC, they will throw you back into Y. If you were in J, then even partner space opens in confirmed J. HND-YYZ is also Air Canada, which is not a DL partner, nobody else flies that directly.

I'm not flying with a GUC. I'm just straight paid premium economy. But I guess they said the other airline doesn't have premium economy, so I'd have to fly regular economy if I switched.

It's a lot more expensive to fly premium economy and it's really annoying that you still get treated like crap. Who are these people flying paid international J on a vacation and where do I get that kind of money?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 23, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

trip report: some time ago I posted about needing a new suitcase and kyoon quickly recommended briggs & riley.

many flights (two international) and thousands of miles later: yeah B&R is pretty much perfect

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm not flying with a GUC. I'm just straight paid premium economy. But I guess they said the other airline doesn't have premium economy, so I'd have to fly regular economy if I switched.

It's a lot more expensive to fly premium economy and it's really annoying that you still get treated like crap. Who are these people flying paid international J on a vacation and where do I get that kind of money?

Ah sorry I mixed you up with the other poster here that was flying with a GUC. Yeah, PE is a scam! Except when you use it to upgrade to international J. :)

Air Canada does have Premium Economy but either it was sold out or they don't know how to reaccommodate into that particular cabin is my guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pmchem posted:

trip report: some time ago I posted about needing a new suitcase and kyoon quickly recommended briggs & riley.

many flights (two international) and thousands of miles later: yeah B&R is pretty much perfect

:hellyeah:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

Ah sorry I mixed you up with the other poster here that was flying with a GUC. Yeah, PE is a scam! Except when you use it to upgrade to international J. :)

Air Canada does have Premium Economy but either it was sold out or they don't know how to reaccommodate into that particular cabin is my guess.

I wouldn't say it's a scam because it's the minimum amount of room I need to not die on a transcon. More like airlines are a scam that shove people into inhumane spaces and only care about you if you pay 5 figures for a single flight.

You'd think their call center agents wouldn't be consistently wrong and unable to help though.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KillHour posted:

You'd think their call center agents wouldn't be consistently wrong and unable to help though.

I had been optimistic that the call centers being useless was largely an American thing after my first few sets of interactions with the European KLM and LH folks were efficient and actually useful. Then a delay into CDG created an impossible connection on to GVA and the agent suggested I reroute through AT-goddamn-L and I realised no, hell is universal and inescapable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I had been optimistic that the call centers being useless was largely an American thing after my first few sets of interactions with the European KLM and LH folks were efficient and actually useful. Then a delay into CDG created an impossible connection on to GVA and the agent suggested I reroute through AT-goddamn-L and I realised no, hell is universal and inescapable.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly - they suggested you go from France to Switzerland via Atlanta?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Sounded like xxx cdg gva became xxx atl gva?

My flight muc EWR was cancelled last month. The corporate travel desk suggested muc lax EWR as an alternative. I elected to stay overnight in muc since I was confirmed on the same flight the next day.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yup! Was in Dublin trying to work out a new route to Geneva because our flight to Paris was going to be late enough we’d miss the last CDG>GVA flight (as well as the last TGV of the day, to boot), and his suggested reroute was DUB>ATL>GVA. Which 1) wut? and 2) DL doesn’t actually fly ATL>GVA, they only have a JFK direct.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Does European Legs Through Atlanta

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Does European Legs Through Atlanta

:lmao:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I mean, I might have done it years back when flying more meant easier status requal. But today? Pig gently caress that.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The psychedelic tunnel at DTW is broken.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpeedFreek posted:

It was partially running last night with Christmas music. But yeah, looks like some of the moving walkways and escalators on the B/C side are in for their D checks and the experience is definitely off as a result.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
DTW is my home airport. Are y'all local or passing through?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Passing through to Pittsburgh which is a lot more torn up than it was last time I was through it. No weather delay but there was a problem coming up with a plane.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
MKE-based so regularly passing through DTW, which is a decent airport all things considered.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Beef Of Ages posted:

MKE-based so regularly passing through DTW, which is a decent airport all things considered.

Same, when are they going to finish the escalators going down to bag claim 1? They've been down for a month it feels like.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

SpeedFreek posted:

ORD remains psychedelic tunnel champion!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The last CR2 flying for Delta is doing EKO-SLC in about an hour before it is decommissioned. This is a notable occasion worth celebrating.

May Satan's chariot never again grace the DL skies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

The last CR2 flying for Delta is doing EKO-SLC in about an hour before it is decommissioned. This is a notable occasion worth celebrating.

May Satan's chariot never again grace the DL skies.

Alhamdulillah

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The plane where the seat pitch in coach is about an inch less than my femur? Good!

Still have to use the drat stairs to get to bag claim 1 at MKE. The knees are complaining about both of these issues this morning.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpeedFreek posted:

The plane where the seat pitch in coach is about an inch less than my femur? Good!

Still have to use the drat stairs to get to bag claim 1 at MKE. The knees are complaining about both of these issues this morning.

Where are you going down? When I exit the D concourse, there is a set of escalators almost directly ahead (slightly to the right) that dumps you at bag claim between 4 and 5 so you can walk down to 1.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I always book it south past the Jehovah's witnesses to where you come down between one and two. Less people stopping in the middle of the walkway and if you leave your headphones on the JWs don't seem to bother you.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Can I express my unadulterated hate for air travel? I had to pick a couple of air links to reach Naples today and the TSA went ballistic for a tiny victorinox that I forgot existed in my keychain. Going with trains would have added less than two hours and a shitload less stress.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

Can I express my unadulterated hate for air travel? I had to pick a couple of air links to reach Naples today and the TSA went ballistic for a tiny victorinox that I forgot existed in my keychain. Going with trains would have added less than two hours and a shitload less stress.

the only airport I’ve ever had security stress me out was BCN because
1) fuckers are strapped heavily and
2) I had a USDA logo on something, they saw that and pulled me into a side room to give me a HEAVY inquisition about taking plants or seeds back home with me, which I was not doing. almost missed my flight because of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

TikTok/the internet was a drat mistake

Cooking shrimps in the lavatory sink :barf:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Boarding DTW to AMS now, on the way back from a wedding. In boarding group three, which in DL logic is the eighth tranche to be called to get on the plane . . .

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boarding DTW to AMS now, on the way back from a wedding. In boarding group three, which in DL logic is the eighth tranche to be called to get on the plane . . .

I was in Charlotte a while back and AA was calling Group 10 on a 50 seat ERJ-145

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was in Charlotte a while back and AA was calling Group 10 on a 50 seat ERJ-145

Southwest levels of granularity.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I love when they do boarding groups for a remote stand and everyone is going to fit on one bus.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Still in AMS because my onward leg to GVA is delayed. Torn between just wanting to get home to my couch and kitty and hoping for one more delay because it’d push it over the compensation threshold.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Still in AMS because my onward leg to GVA is delayed. Torn between just wanting to get home to my couch and kitty and hoping for one more delay because it’d push it over the compensation threshold.

Did you fly today? AMS was absolute chaos this morning from the weather closure of one of the runways. I misconnected but got myself rebooked in the KLM lounge, which is was finally worth it for something.

No compensation in the case of weather.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

i fly airplanes posted:

Did you fly today? AMS was absolute chaos this morning from the weather closure of one of the runways. I misconnected but got myself rebooked in the KLM lounge, which is was finally worth it for something.

No compensation in the case of weather.

I did. Only ended up 2h 20 delayed, so wouldn’t have gotten it anyway. Had come in on DL metal so it was just the new aspire lounge, which wasn’t bad

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's pretty amazing that overhead lockers are technology too advanced for some people

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

It's pretty amazing that overhead lockers are technology too advanced for some people

If God intended for us to store things above us, he would have put a shelf on the tops of our heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I think that's about as badly as that could have gone