Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am starting to want to get a new set of minis just so I have something else to paint with a different color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

I am starting to want to get a new set of minis just so I have something else to paint with a different color scheme.

Welcome to the joy of skirmish gaming

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Arcturas posted:

By craft store matte varnish, y'all just mean like, Modge Podge, right?

I use rattle can rustoleum painters touch. Cheap,easy, and effective. Mod Podge is basically just PVA glue watered down which is good to water down a ton and seal in terrain.

If I'm feeling fancy I have a ton of gloss/matte medium from golden liquitex to airbrush.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 27, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I used to use Future, but since it's been discontinued I switched to Quick Shine Floor Polish cut 50/50 with water (and liquitex matte varnish sprayed through my airbrush to dull the shine).

The advantage to Quick Shine is it's self-leveling, so it'll go on evenly even if you lazily dunk your whole mini in varnish like I tend to do. The disadvantage is, it's super glossy so you'll need a matte coat to deal with that.

On the plus side, if it's a mini that gets used in games a lot, you can tell when the top coat is wearing off because it'll start getting glossy again; so you can reapply the topcoat before there's any risk of losing paint.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Beffer posted:

Welcome to the joy of skirmish gaming

Yeah Killteam and Necromunda are perfect for this

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I have liquitex gloss, satin, and matte varnish and use them in every model. Having the different finishes let's you fine tune the final look for different materials.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

this post has a soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMO9azmKNU

thanks for listenin' ya'll

These are so great. I showed them to my partner who loves all this opossum and she was overjoyed. She also plays BT.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lostconfused posted:

Well, yes, that's extra work I might have to do at some point in time. But between that and the very light brown "mud texture" paint I've ended up with a very desserty sorta look. So now I need to figure out how to do make it more grassy looking besides just painting the sides of the base in green.

You can paint the mud texture a darker brown if you dont like the colour of it, or hit it with a wash. I use a pot of vallejo "brown earth" then generally paint it while wishing I'd gone for the "dark earth" myself, the brown earth dries too light for my taste but I'm not buying another pot of texture paste until this one is finished. But yeah, if you want grass there really isnt an alternative to some kind of flock ground cover (static grass, foam flock, sawdust flock, tufts, base ready mix, mixed herbs, something). Doesnt have to be complicated, just glue and dropping/pressing it on will be fine for most bases.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

this post has a soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMO9azmKNU

Holy trembling Jeeeezus thats so good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Painted this dude and his flag. One more to go.

Dayum :captainpop:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm settling into my apartment and new job and sorting out whether having a couple of cats would be feasible (for the cats as much as me) and I'm concerned about how reviving my hobby might impact them, and steps I can take to mitigate it.

It's a two room apartment, and I've considered just doing all the painting somewhere else (in the building, or if there's a hobby center) or if I'm over thinking it so long as I choose a room and keep them out while I'm working, and knowing what to clean up (and what equipment might be needed) to keep them healthy, or processes I'd have to skip at home (the primers, cleaners and other stuff dealing with metals seem pretty toxic)

Have any goons in apartments juggled both?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm in a similar position and my solution is to rattle can the models outside and just paint with a brush. I don't think it's a health hazard to do all the stuff that basically doesn't involve spraying stuff - so I paint, assemble, glue, etc. I've been told ITT that you can rig up a box routed to the window for your air brush but my crafting station isn't near one so I've never made that plunge.

I don't mess with resin models but you probably wouldn't want to sand those inside, either.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

The trick where you turn the cap inside out and back again is so much easier and more effective than this.

I can see how you could do this but I just get palpitations thinking about it. On the other hand you can also detach the entire lid assembly from the main pot so I guess it's not that bad.

Cease to Hope posted:

if you're using brush-on varnish, cheap stuff from the craft store is fine.

Cheapest varnishes again

Future Floor Wax/Klear/Quick Shine Floor Finish - super glossy and hard water base acrylic floor polish. Self-levelling, very sturdy (floors innit) and trusted by generations of scale modellers.

Matte varnish - I personally use W&N Galeria Acrylic Matte which is both very matte and cheap compared to most other hobby products. Others will swear by Testors Dullcote (toxic enamel) or hobby products like Vallejo (buy the big bottles and they're the same price as artist products, otherwise very pricey).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bell_ posted:

I'm settling into my apartment and new job and sorting out whether having a couple of cats would be feasible (for the cats as much as me) and I'm concerned about how reviving my hobby might impact them, and steps I can take to mitigate it.

It's a two room apartment, and I've considered just doing all the painting somewhere else (in the building, or if there's a hobby center) or if I'm over thinking it so long as I choose a room and keep them out while I'm working, and knowing what to clean up (and what equipment might be needed) to keep them healthy, or processes I'd have to skip at home (the primers, cleaners and other stuff dealing with metals seem pretty toxic)

If you are brush painting with standard acrylics then there is no particular risk tbh. I mean, dont let them drink the paint or anything, but they wont get sick from just being around them. The issues I can think of would be anything that puts particulates in the air (airbrushing, rattlecans) and/or has unpleasant fumes (I'm thinking 3d printer resin and most mineral spirits for thinning oils and enamel thinners mainly). So if you cant rig up a proper ventilation system for the airbrush, just stick to brush painting, doing any rattlecan work do outside (which tbh is what you should be doing even if you dont have cats) and dont do oil washes I think you should be fine, although I stand ready to be corrected. Probably crack a window if you are using plastic glue for an extended period of time (again, something you should be doing anyway regardless of cats).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My cat wants to drink the paint water.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Probably just getting the rinse jar confused with its coffee, whom amongst us hasnt?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

If the paint water is anything like swimming pool water soon you'll have one less problem to worry about :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bell_ posted:

i've never had a cat get into my paint water or paint or thinner or anything like that. it smells funny to them, i assume. the things that are toxic to you are also toxic to cats, but those are all things you should be sealing up when you're not using them anyway.

for spraying, as long as you have active ventilation (a fan pulling air out the window is enough), you shouldn't have any problems with the cats. the cat hair is another issue: it can get stuck to models with wet spray paint, or sometimes carry bits of wet paint off of a backstop. ventilation helps with this, as does just keeping the cats out of the room where you're spraying as much as possible.

for 3D printing, you need a fume hood or it needs to be a room completely isolated from animals whenever you're doing anything and for a while after while the air circulates. (you shouldn't be breathing those fumes either.) this doesn't make it impossible, mind. you can set up a grow tent as a fume hood, and those can shut up well enough to keep cats from getting into them.

Z the IVth posted:

I can see how you could do [the trick where you turn citadel paint lids inside out] but I just get palpitations thinking about it. On the other hand you can also detach the entire lid assembly from the main pot so I guess it's not that bad.

yes you definitely remove the cap entirely from the paint pot for this. also do it with disposable gloves if you don't want paint all over your fingers. if you keep those two in mind, it's easy.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a lizard

feat. small toad

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

a lizard

feat. small toad

I love them both and want all the best things in life for the toad.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

a lizard

feat. small toad

Quoting this because i really like these skin tones and i want to nick this colour scheme one day. Thanks, goon!

Also, cool frog.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love them both and want all the best things in life for the toad.

Beffer posted:

Quoting this because i really like these skin tones and i want to nick this colour scheme one day. Thanks, goon!

Also, cool frog.

Thanks! It's black -> Dark Reaper -> Thunderhawk Blue -> Russ Grey and then when you're finished and think "Man, this looks pretty bad" you give it 2x coats of Dark Tone/Nuln Oil and suddenly it all ties together.

also I painted these like four months apart and forgot all the paints I was using for the one with the shield. Looking at it I may need to go back and give the blowpipe one stronger highlights :v:

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 27, 2023

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

Thanks! It's black -> Dark Reaper -> Thunderhawk Blue -> Russ Grey and then when you're finished and think "Man, this looks pretty bad" you give it 2x coats of Dark Tone/Nuln Oil and suddenly it all ties together.

also I painted these like four months apart and forgot all the paints I was using for the one with the shield. Looking at it I may need to go back and give the blowpipe one stronger highlights :v:

Heck yeah. I might use that myself on one of those Spawn of Chotec Salamanders.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rad lizards!

Quoting myself here because I started at them today wondering what to paint the weapons, then didn’t actually paint anything. Advice appreciated!

Professor Shark posted:

WIP of my Tau Firewarriors. The color scheme is different for me and is dark, but I’m going to run the dark red highlights up to orange and the blue up to ice blue.

I’m unsure of where to go with the gun casings. I want to do dark grey highlighted with lighter greys for all tech instead of gun metal, but Tau always have an armor color on their guns. Should I go blue or white (white will be the helmet color)?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bell_ posted:

If you're spraying/airbrushing/etc yes, absolutely shut them out; and keep them out for 30-60 minutes after you're done, depending on whether you're spraying acrylics or something more dangerous.

Otherwise, the cats will be curious what you're doing. Put some bedding or an empty cardboard box on a shelf where they can look over your shoulder and/or supervise from a spot that's 'above' you and they'll probably be content to watch without getting all up on your painting desk. Just make a ritual about emptying your paint water when you're done, and maybe invest in a heavy glass jar with a lid that they'll have trouble pushing off your desk. Or a cheap plastic one that won't break. Either way, if you have to get up but plan to keep painting, put a lid on your paint water.

Also maybe empty your water right away if you're painting metallics. Probably a good idea to do that anyway, but especially don't let pets drink metallic paint water.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yeah. i empty the jar unless I'm actually painting.

(Huge hypocrite, just got done painting and didn't dispose of water, will do now)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I named my cat Sparkles so that any metallic flakes are giving them character.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I also have to cover my paint water because the cats will try and drink it

they'll drink the soapy bath water too if you let them, they're insane

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Forget the cats, how do I stop myself from drinking the paint water?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
You can make fun of me for buying the silly overpriced Citadel water pot, but at least it looks nothing like my coffee cup.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I put mine in a lovely Tupperware that I lost the lid for

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AndyElusive posted:

Forget the cats, how do I stop myself from drinking the paint water?

im right handed and this is what i do: drink only with your left hand while painting, and put your drink to your left, paint water to your right

its all moot since im a brush licker tho

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
god i love licking that brush

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Thing to consider is cats jump on surfaces, get residue in their fur (sometimes too little to see) then lick it off. Protect the little ones.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

god i love licking that brush

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I have never and will never lick my brush :barf:

I just keep a small ramekin cup thing with water at hand to dip my fingers in and then shape the tip if needed when twisting it gently while pulling backwards on the wet palette doesn't work

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
If you don't lick your brush I'm coming in through the window to lick it for you

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
send me your brushes and i'll lick them and mail them back :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I know we all missed lockdown for how we had time to paint but trying to bring it back is a bit much