Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FISHMANPET posted:

poo poo like that is why I had no qualms using "AI" to tune up my resume. If job posters are going to do so much on autopilot (today, on Thanksgiving, I got a follow-up message from a recruiter) then I'm not going to have any problems using automated tools on the job seeker end.

You shouldn't, that's a great use of a tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
aaaaaaaand right at 4.15pm on Friday a recruiter rings with another potential role. I am learning not to get my hopes up, but at least there are roles out there (and recruiters willing to follow up)

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

First of all I have a call with a recruiter who is running 15 minutes late. Promising, but kind of annoying because its a lunchtime thing

Then I have an interview which is going okay until my computer decides to poo poo itself halfway through the Zoom interview - I then end up having to access Zoom on my phone, as my computer has completely died. loving thing :argh:

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Gonna need a way to say "the job I started last week is not the job I agreed to do" in a very polite way soon. Fuuuuck bait and switch employers.

I was in this situation last year and had a full nauseous "I've made a huge mistake" moment on day 1. But I'd been out of work for six months by that point so didn't want to outright quit.

My solution was to immediately focus on finding another job, getting it, and claiming to job 1 that it was terribly unfortunate timing and I was so sorry but that I'd applied for job 2 at the same time as job 1, and that job 2 was just slower. They were happy with that explanation (too happy, they tried to counter offer me a different job which was still a hilarious downgrade from my new one), I spent around 3 months at that job in total and don't list it on my CV any more as it has 0 value (you know, because of the bait and switch)

But my industry is relatively small and very incestuous and I didn't want to burn bridges. You might have more freedom to flip them off on the way out. (They absolutely deserve it)

Jumpsuit fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 27, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jumpsuit posted:

I was in this situation last year and had a full nauseous "I've made a huge mistake" moment on day 1. But I'd been out of work for six months by that point so didn't want to outright quit.

My solution was to immediately focus on finding another job, getting it, and claiming to job 1 that it was terribly unfortunate timing and I was so sorry but that I'd applied for job 2 at the same time as job 1, and that job 2 was just slower. They were happy with that explanation (too happy, they tried to counter offer me a different job which was still a hilarious downgrade from my new one), I spent around 3 months at that job in total and don't list it on my CV any more as it has 0 value (you know, because of the bait and switch)

But my industry is relatively small and very incestuous and I didn't want to burn bridges. You might have more freedom to flip them off on the way out. (They absolutely deserve it)
Yeah I think it took me until day 2 to have that level of reaction, but the vibes were definitely bad on day 1. Recognising the last red flag and that it was time to leave was a weirdly huge relief. Thusfar the recruiters I have talked to have been very understanding when I explain why I'm looking to move again so fast. It's going to be in potential interviews where things get shaky, I think. My industry is also very small, to the point where I'm at "oh, yeah, $FRIEND works there" when recruiters ask if I know a place.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I know the OP says don't mention MS office in your resume, but if the job advert specifically mentions MS Office is it then fine to include as another checkbox for the filter?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The op is from 2013, I think it's fair to not take it as the biblical truth anymore.

If a job application calls MS Office products out specifically then I think it's okay to highlight it in your resume - but if it's part of a long list of programs they've asked for I probably wouldn't worry about including it.

It should be a given for anyone with any kind of corporate career that you'd be familiar with office products anyway I'd think

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know the OP says don't mention MS office in your resume, but if the job advert specifically mentions MS Office is it then fine to include as another checkbox for the filter?

Sure. That OP was written before the machines took over.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If thread regulars would like to reboot the thread or rewrite the OP, then please, come to a consensus on the changes needed and let me or baddog know via the pinned feedback thread.

We’re more than happy to help fix outdated OPs via edits or facilitate a complete reboot. Stale OPs help nobody.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Personally I would like to see a reboot - I have to admit I took a minute of pause when I saw the op was so old. That being said I am in no way skilled enough to write a new op so take what I say with a grain of salt

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Also - I have a second interview tomorrow, and a first interview on Thursday. Send me all of your good vibes, goons!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There is a LOT of really useful info in this thread, so I don't think starting a new one would be helpful.

We definitely could use a revamped OP, though. Maybe I'll go through the thread for some choice quotes to contribute while I'm down with the flu this week.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Finally got a call back. The VP I interviewed with last wants someone with a specific certification I don’t have.

Well, gently caress.

Just one last update on this clusterfuck.

So like I said I finally got the callback from the HR person and didn’t get hired which blew. Then a couple days later I got a voicemail from their recruiter asking me to call them back as soon as possible. So I did and they were just rejecting me again since they didn’t realize they already had. Then a week later I got an email rejecting me.

The worst thing is it’s still less terrible than where I am now but I guess I feel a little better about not working there now.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Just one last update on this clusterfuck.

So like I said I finally got the callback from the HR person and didn’t get hired which blew. Then a couple days later I got a voicemail from their recruiter asking me to call them back as soon as possible. So I did and they were just rejecting me again since they didn’t realize they already had. Then a week later I got an email rejecting me.

The worst thing is it’s still less terrible than where I am now but I guess I feel a little better about not working there now.

I'm sorry that happened. I'm not sure what the point of the recruiter saying "call me asap" was, if it was just to reject you. Some employers can be so clumsy when it comes to rejections and frankly it's not at all okay

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

heh

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

A good resume is worth it's weight in gold. I'm a landscape architect and project manager who was just offered a job because my resume was passed around and landed on a CEOs desk. I didn't even have to apply and they created a job for me completely based on the resume and solidified through two rounds of interviews.

Not only is the salary going to be twice what I made at my last job, but the scope of work is a career rocketship and will push me towards the top of the field in my area. I'll be master planning 1700 acres of wild woods for ecological sustainability, redesigning 300 acres of horse farm to phase out the breeding and create a legacy property for the family, and managing separate residential and commercial properties on the side.

Work that resume! Polish it until it shines and speaks for itself! Develop your network and good things will happen.

Probably.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

A good resume is worth it's weight in gold. I'm a landscape architect and project manager who was just offered a job because my resume was passed around and landed on a CEOs desk. I didn't even have to apply and they created a job for me completely based on the resume and solidified through two rounds of interviews.

Not only is the salary going to be twice what I made at my last job, but the scope of work is a career rocketship and will push me towards the top of the field in my area. I'll be master planning 1700 acres of wild woods for ecological sustainability, redesigning 300 acres of horse farm to phase out the breeding and create a legacy property for the family, and managing separate residential and commercial properties on the side.

Work that resume! Polish it until it shines and speaks for itself! Develop your network and good things will happen.

Probably.

Networking is a huge thing there. That's what got the door open and your resume on a CEO's desk. But you were prepared for that opportunity which was the other half.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lockback posted:

Networking is a huge thing there. That's what got the door open and your resume on a CEO's desk. But you were prepared for that opportunity which was the other half.

Yep. I applied for a job at a place that couldn't afford me but had close connections to the company I'm going to work for. He knew they wanted to create a position and passed along the resume with a glowing recommendation and that's what got me in the door.

Networking did the first half, resume and interview did the second.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Well, my weird technical resume got me an interview next week with a civil engineering firm. I got it through a recruiter who contacted me back in October but they're finally ready to do interviews. Fingers crossed, this seems to be well within my wheelhouse but would require me to drive to their office 2 hours away a few times a month. There are definitely worse fates.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I drove myself crazy formatting my resume and after I landed a job I checked my employee profile and saw a resume PDF in there.

It was a PDF of my Indeed.com profile. :geno:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chad Sexington posted:

Had a former boss connect me with a place that had an opening that was great but max of their listed salary range would be a 10% pay cut.

I went for beers with the hiring manager this week because why not. Dude was wooing me hard which is such a switch from the normal job hunt crap.

Against my usual practice I just told him what I made and implied if he could even just match it I'd jump because my current shop has a huge budget hole and is slowly sinking.

No follow-up from the guy. Agh.

Dude did finally follow up. No movement on salary ceiling, couldn't promise anything more than bog standard 3% annual salary increases. Still considering taking that 10% cut to the dome to get out of current job.

At the same time I just heard back on a job I applied for in June. I was initially rejected out of hand. Then they readvertised last month and I applied again. Now I've got a 30-minute call with the hiring manager. It would be anywhere from a 10-40% pay increase.

poo poo's weird.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Not getting anything, even entry level IT jobs. Have spent a lot of time on my resume, curious if others have any thoughts on if there's more adjustments to be made on mine?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I paid about $1000 for a resume rewrite, LinkedIn profile rewrite, and a cover letter package deal. The resume was completed a week or so ago and has immediately produced results and now I have 2 huge tech companies interviewing me for Sr. Program Manager roles. Was not expecting this a mere week after applying for jobs with my new resume.

Which is great, but they're asking me what my compensation expectations are. The salary range on the job postings are like $110-190k. Having been job searching for 5 months since graduation, I'd honestly take the $110k and be happy with it but don't really know what to answer them with.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Mustang posted:

So I paid about $1000 for a resume rewrite, LinkedIn profile rewrite, and a cover letter package deal. The resume was completed a week or so ago and has immediately produced results and now I have 2 huge tech companies interviewing me for Sr. Program Manager roles. Was not expecting this a mere week after applying for jobs with my new resume.

Which is great, but they're asking me what my compensation expectations are. The salary range on the job postings are like $110-190k. Having been job searching for 5 months since graduation, I'd honestly take the $110k and be happy with it but don't really know what to answer them with.

Here's the negotiation thread, go get that cheddar!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Dude did finally follow up. No movement on salary ceiling, couldn't promise anything more than bog standard 3% annual salary increases. Still considering taking that 10% cut to the dome to get out of current job.

Don't. You really really really don't want to do that. Taking a pay cut will continue to cost you money year after year for the rest of your career.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mustang posted:

So I paid about $1000 for a resume rewrite, LinkedIn profile rewrite, and a cover letter package deal. The resume was completed a week or so ago and has immediately produced results and now I have 2 huge tech companies interviewing me for Sr. Program Manager roles. Was not expecting this a mere week after applying for jobs with my new resume

Out of curiosity, what were the differences between your original resume and the new one? Would you be willing and able to share redacted/ anonymity versions of them?

To your salary question, as already noted, the Negotiation thread is your best resource.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My original resume was the format used by my school for MBA recruiting and honestly just looks like the most basic rear end resume there is. Education on top followed by experience.

My new one has a short summary, highlights stuff I did during my MBA, and a section on key strengths. Might have gone overboard redacting stuff but I feel like it pretty easily identifies me otherwise. But it does show the format I'm using now, which I think is the important part.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't. You really really really don't want to do that. Taking a pay cut will continue to cost you money year after year for the rest of your career.

In fairness, money isn't always the most important thing. It doesn't make up for a massively long commute, or a terrible boss, or long work hours

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Very true. However, you're talking about a lot of money, compounded over the rest of your career/life, if you take a pay cut. Enough that it's worth just hanging on a little bit longer while you look for something to jump to that doesn't require a pay cut.

Now if the situation is that you took your current job at a 2021 "WE NEED A COMPUTER TOUCHER THREE MONTHS AGO HERE JUST TAKE ALL THE MONEY YOU WANT" salary that no one is going to match in 2024, that's different and should be accounted for. But if you did that you probably got RIF'd by now anyway.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I hear you. The theory though is that I may need to move down/lateral in salary to move up again.

I've worked at the same place for 12 years. Two promotions in that time, but I'm kind of capped out at my current position. In a union role, but to take the next step I'd need to manage people. But they can't just tack that onto my union position, so they would need to create a new position for me. Buuuut the last leader of my department left two years ago. It's been interims and one dude that got fired since then, so I have no advocate. Even if they hire someone tomorrow, they're not pushing for new poo poo for at LEAST six months. And as I said, we have a huge budget gap they're trying to close this fiscal year, which they're trying to address by just making it miserable such that people leave and then not replace them. And my part of the department is a "loss leader" too which makes it worse.

Most lateral jobs in my market are paying less than I currently make. Often substantially so. If I can find one that pays less but better positions me to look like I should be leading a team, it might put me in the black in the long run. FWIW the other, higher paying job I got a bite on is a team leader, so maybe I can already pass muster without taking a cut. We'll see.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blurb3947 posted:

Not getting anything, even entry level IT jobs. Have spent a lot of time on my resume, curious if others have any thoughts on if there's more adjustments to be made on mine?

Summary: You need to find jobs that you're a good fit for and work those keywords into your job descriptions. Its too generic of a "I do stuff with AWS/Computers" to really get me excited to interview. Still in school at a low reputation school is gonna hurt you at many places but its prob better than no school. Once you graduate, pull your graduation date off the resume.

Thoughts as I notice them:
- Whats seasoned? Oh, 8 years. Lead with the numbers.
- Intro paragraph has a lot of vague words that anyone can claim. The strongest sentence is the last one.
- This guys got certs. If I needed to deploy to AWS seems like a good candidate.
- HR people dont know what EC2 is, suggest saying AWS EC2
- Lotsa short stints recently with 1 year gap, whats up there?
- First job is kinda vague as to your role in those processes, like I'm not easily able to picture what you do. Suggest using some of the popular job title words to fill that out.

I think keywords you'd want to work into your resume, as in both the experience you haev and how you refer to yourself, based on reviewing a few "Deploy containers to EC2" jobs would be: Devops, CI/CD, Docker, Container, automated testing, kubernetes, EKS, automation, AWS Developer, AWS Engineer, Devops engineer, cloud engineer, SQL, python, database, RDS,

Obvs only pick the ones that are appropriate.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 29, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Does anyone here have experience with Referoo (or similar) for reference checks? It is an online reference checking portal, and my understanding is that the referee completes a a series of online questions, as opposed to answering questions over the phone.

It felt like bad news when I got a text requesting references via Referoo, with a warning saying "your referees are able to request we stop messaging them by replying 'STOP' to our messages' - I thought this is a good way to piss off my referees, by signing them up for a spam service! It feels like a good way to burn bridges to be honest :(

Every previous role all reference checks have been over the phone (both when I have given references, and when I have asked others to give them for me) - so I am not familiar with this at all!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

CarForumPoster posted:

Summary: You need to find jobs that you're a good fit for and work those keywords into your job descriptions. Its too generic of a "I do stuff with AWS/Computers" to really get me excited to interview.

I tried highlighting my accomplishments rather than listing my duties, figuring that the job title would allude to typical duties.

quote:

Still in school at a low reputation school is gonna hurt you at many places but its prob better than no school. Once you graduate, pull your graduation date off the resume.

This seems unnecessarily harsh.

quote:

Thoughts as I notice them:
- Whats seasoned? Oh, 8 years. Lead with the numbers.
- Lotsa short stints recently with 1 year gap, whats up there?
- First job is kinda vague as to your role in those processes, like I'm not easily able to picture what you do. Suggest using some of the popular job title words to fill that out.

I had a few IT jobs before the years listed here but felt like these 4 made more sense than including those. I was let go from the first and third job due to re-orgs, left the 2nd one because of a extremely toxic coworker and got offered job 1 for twice the pay.

quote:

I think keywords you'd want to work into your resume, as in both the experience you haev and how you refer to yourself, based on reviewing a few "Deploy containers to EC2" jobs would be: Devops, CI/CD, Docker, Container, automated testing, kubernetes, EKS, automation, AWS Developer, AWS Engineer, Devops engineer, cloud engineer, SQL, python, database, RDS,

Obvs only pick the ones that are appropriate.

Honestly all I was doing was deploying EC2 instances, working within those to configure Windows Server and a web app on them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You say your good at scripting and automation, but you don't have any skills on how scripting and automation. So I read this and think you're not good at that. That's hugely important for the jobs your trying to get.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

Yeah, this is part of the reason I'm scared to post a resume here - I'm not sure my nerves could take it!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Almost any job you could ever get is going to be rougher than people online telling you to fix your résumé

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blurb3947 posted:

I went to a truly mediocre state school after attending a 2 yr junior college for 4 years. Please trust that there's no value judgement about you or your intelligence/skills here. You're having trouble getting through the first step of the sales hiring funnel. I'm giving you data about the perception I had of your resume so you can craft your message and story. The typical spin for a resume like this is "hard worker going to night school to be the best, WGU makes that possible".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IT doesn't really put a lot of emphasis on prestige of the school though. The advice to take off the year when you graduate is a good one though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got my dates of attendance (2005-2011) on my resume, should I just take those off entirely and just say that I have the degree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah I'm interested to know if I should remove the date from my degree also! Seems like lying to leave it off but I suppose it isn't - it's not like it has a use by date