Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

grate deceiver posted:

Put some more hours into Obenseuer and I think the needs are fine actually. Food is pretty easy to come by from scavenging or stealing, clean water is free. I only started with one addiction though, 3 might have been tough. Once you find that first tenant that only requires a bare room with no electricity and heating, it's smooth sailing. Rent might be bugged though, because they're paying me 1400 oc for an absolute unupgraded shithole.

Rent works weird, but it's not bugged. The 'income' amount you see when prospecting a tenant is how much they pay base, and then it's math'd against the apartment's value to get the actual rent. A tenants base income is generally irrelevant because of how hard it scales off apartment value, save for if they pay in real money or not, as someone who doesn't have a base income with real money will never pay real money to the rent no matter how nice of a shithole you cram them in.

My current income with 5 floors filled, minus an empty large appt, is ~2200RM and ~20000OC a day, with everything only upgraded to tier I, save for a few tier II heaters and the tier 2 stairs and sauna. Tier 1 yard and facade as well. Money feels broken with the current balance, there needs to be something that separates tenemant money from your money I feel... otherwise the rentbloat makes money mean nothing save for tenemant upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jawnycat posted:

Rent works weird, but it's not bugged. The 'income' amount you see when prospecting a tenant is how much they pay base, and then it's math'd against the apartment's value to get the actual rent. A tenants base income is generally irrelevant because of how hard it scales off apartment value, save for if they pay in real money or not, as someone who doesn't have a base income with real money will never pay real money to the rent no matter how nice of a shithole you cram them in.

My current income with 5 floors filled, minus an empty large appt, is ~2200RM and ~20000OC a day, with everything only upgraded to tier I, save for a few tier II heaters and the tier 2 stairs and sauna. Tier 1 yard and facade as well. Money feels broken with the current balance, there needs to be something that separates tenemant money from your money I feel... otherwise the rentbloat makes money mean nothing save for tenemant upgrades.

Yeah, I think the increase in value from upgrades should just be way less. Doesn't make sense that a crazy dude living in the street has enough savings to single handedly fund renovations of an entire building, lol

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I dropped some dosh on Vintage Story and wow, that is a steep but satisfying learning curve. Only had time to dink around in the stone/pottery age and this character is probably screwed for the winter but I’m very slowly getting the hang of things!

Senrab
May 10, 2012
It's mid-October in my Vintage Story world and I think I'm actually pretty well stocked for winter. I've since had a medium Temporal Storm which wasn't much to talk about. I think I see why people play with them off. They're too easy to cheese and effectively put a big pause on your game for 10 minutes. Hopefully they become more fun in the future.

I've also finally found bees! No idea if I'll get them to swarm by winter but I've set up a skep near the hive. Here's hoping.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Collect all the flowers and put them near the wild hive. You can get a hive to swarm fairly quickly if it has 20+ flowers around it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After getting through most of Sons of the Forest (incidentally without building any actual structures because the game relies on you running all over the drat map) I decided to try out Icarus, but I'm not entirely clear on how the game's structure works. Is the expectation that you can go into missions to harvest resources to bring back to the open world, or are they separate games that you can use the same character and skill tree on?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Bussamove posted:

I dropped some dosh on Vintage Story and wow, that is a steep but satisfying learning curve. Only had time to dink around in the stone/pottery age and this character is probably screwed for the winter but I’m very slowly getting the hang of things!

Learn how to make cellars and some basic storage stuff and winter seems pretty doable. Meals keep 20+ days in an unsealed crock in a cellar, and way, way longer if you seal them with beeswax or animal fat. I’m not really eating any of my grain until my first round of crops come in because it keeps so well in storage. Mushrooms & turnips store pretty well, too, and onions have a super long shelf life.

I’m just making a bunch of redmeat + berry or veg meals right now cause that stuff all spoils faster (at least until I get some salt). I’ m waiting on a beehive to propagate so I should have bees in a day or two; dunno if it’ll be fast enough for jam before winter but I’ll have it for next year if I don’t die first. Honestly feels like you can survive forever pretty easily with stone/pottery alone. Copper def makes a nice improvement for proper cellars & stonework but it all feels like cruising from there as far as survival goes.

Anyone have good ruins rebuilds? My current start is pretty great - it’s by a confluence of limestone, slate, and granite. Bunch of malachite deposits all over, decent blue + fire clay deposits, tons of brown coal & lead, and some sandstone like half a day to the east. Propicking said there’s good bismuth deposits like 2-300 blocks away as well. My starter base/farm is a series of built-out islands on the edge of a decent sized lake, but it’s in a “rain almost constantly” zone so I’m thinking about moving a little north to one of the large square amphitheater-style ruins and rebuilding off of it. All the steps descending into the middle make for an awkward design start tho; gotta think it out a little I guess.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

After getting through most of Sons of the Forest (incidentally without building any actual structures because the game relies on you running all over the drat map) I decided to try out Icarus, but I'm not entirely clear on how the game's structure works. Is the expectation that you can go into missions to harvest resources to bring back to the open world, or are they separate games that you can use the same character and skill tree on?

The meta-game progression is still pretty goofy. You use the same character with the same skills for each mission, but mission rewards let you buy items you can bring into each mission. If you die or you leave the items behind when you finish, you lose them. Some of the items are also single-use. Honestly the only things I bother with are like the 3rd suit that gives you both extra suit slots & water & I think resistance?, various suit mods (usually +weight & +runspeed), and a canteen + oxygen tank. Everything else is generally just as easy to make - one cave is usually enough to get an anvil + steel pick/axe/knife and then you’re basically set.

It’s worth it to plan your skill tree out a little cause re-skilling is kinda a pita (tho at least it’s doable now) and you have a maximum number of skill points. I maxed out a bunch of bow + knife skills cause you can do a ton of the content with just a longbow and it means you’re not using up extra inventory slots. Knife attacks super fast, too. There are a few QOL skills that are super worth - get the “pick up chopped wood automatically” skill asap, it’s a loving lifesaver. Weight capacity skills are good, too. I don’t really care about any of the gathering skills or many of the survival skills because keeping yourself fed/hydrated/aired up is all pretty easy. Take all the runspeed skills you can imo. Some of the effect skills (arrow slow/stun, extra bullets, etc) are nice but not necessarily that worth - I’d rather just have straight damage/crit chance skills most of the time, and that saves points for getting stuff like more carry weight or one of the armor sets.

Also don’t sweat the blueprints too hard -while you only get a max amount of skill points you gain ghost levels after you max out and get blueprint points for each max level, so you’re basically guaranteed to get them all eventually.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Is Obenseuer worth buying right now?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the tips, that's a pretty convoluted system but I'm sure it makes more sense when you are in it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ravenkult posted:

While it''s on sale, I'd say yes. I have already put in 20hrs. It's very EA, but I see a solid base to build on now. I also like how much they're taking from INFRA, it's not just a survival/management game, you'll actually go exploring the underground if you follow the story.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is the expectation that you can go into missions to harvest resources to bring back to the open world, or are they separate games that you can use the same character and skill tree on?

I’m not too familiar on the details re: interconnectivity, but the expectation but not reality is that the open world experience can be fully self-contained. Last I recall they had partially integrated missions into the open world but there was some sort of more advanced mission that was not yet implemented in the open world.

Year old info here: there were some unlocks only available through the mission structure, ren and exotics. The last video I recall watching (a month or two ago) left off after the player realized they couldn’t access somethings in just the open world and they were waiting for the next update. They achieved quite a lot of episodes in just the open world before they realized that everything wasn’t available in a single mode, so it doesn’t strike me as particularly blatant up until they tried to mine for exotics, and they were well into the third/fourth tech tree iirc.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ravenkult posted:

For the price it’s hard to say no to it, imo. There’s a lot of game there, they’ve got it pretty stable. There’s certainly more to come and it’s not “complete.” I get the sense the next patch is probably a few months from the stable public release, and so far stable save migration has been a hope for the public patches, but I know it’s been a crapshoot in the play test (which doesn’t exist right now, I’m not sure if it’s over, or will reappear when the new patch gets rolling.)

That would be my only worry, is that you might have some weirdness eventually, but it’s a solid product for $10 now.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

LordSloth posted:

I’m not too familiar on the details re: interconnectivity, but the expectation but not reality is that the open world experience can be fully self-contained. Last I recall they had partially integrated missions into the open world but there was some sort of more advanced mission that was not yet implemented in the open world.

Year old info here: there were some unlocks only available through the mission structure, ren and exotics. The last video I recall watching (a month or two ago) left off after the player realized they couldn’t access somethings in just the open world and they were waiting for the next update. They achieved quite a lot of episodes in just the open world before they realized that everything wasn’t available in a single mode, so it doesn’t strike me as particularly blatant up until they tried to mine for exotics, and they were well into the third/fourth tech tree iirc.

Oh yeah, wrt the open world vs mission & resources thing the original idea was that you're a contractor going on missions and you only have a pod big enough to carry you and maybe a few tools on and off planet, and that the planetary storms are so severe that everything you build in a mission gets destroyed. And something something about how stuff you bring off planet doesn't last or something unless it's special exotic minerals that work as a secondary currency. And big surprise, a ton of people absolutely hated it and wanted a permanent base, so they've been moving more to an open-world setup with structures you can build to access missions and station resources like tools etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LordSloth posted:

To be clear I'm okay with leaving open world to go do missions and then heading back into the open world with the materials and points that I got from the mission, I just didn't know if that was possible or if when you chose to do a non-open world mission if that was a totally sequestered thing that wouldn't allow you to bring anything over into the open world segment.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I don’t know much, but here’s some third-hand info, take it with a grain of :salt:, it’s not my words

Your inventory is tied to the world but all leveling progress is immediate and permanent.

My confused words:

You can bring some stuff with you from orbit via the drop ship but you’ll want to be very careful/untrusting of station/dropship/workshop inventory until you’re clear how it works (I haven’t seen video) but what you leave in proper open world storage is probably safe, but mission storage is probably wiped.

Someone else’s direct words:
In this case all workshop items will be delivered to orbit, all crafted items will be deleted in landing module storage and on characters inventory, so leave all crafted items at storage in your base in open world and leave via landing module, you will be fine

Me:
So, if I recall the one single instance of this I did see, if it’s in the dropship storage it’s fine, but your personal carried inventory and hotbar are completely wiped.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
So the open world lets you bring certain stuff in and take out exotics and such, and you can access certain missions & supplies by building comm relay type things. Some of the missions are basically like 3-step quests and some of the missions are actual in-game missions. Afaik theyre working to set it up so you can stay open world the whole time and access most or all of the in-game missions through comm structures. I don't 100% know how it works if you switch back and forth between open world & single missions, but when you do a single mission you have to go in with whatever you bring and then extract with it if you want to keep it, and you're stuck in that mission until you finish it, time runs out, or you abandon it. If the latter two happen you lose all the poo poo you brought in. I assume that's all the same for open world, I just don't know if the open world stuff you've previously built on-planet remains if you leave, do a single mission, and then come back. Easy enough to experiment with tbh

also my vintage story ruins are in a temporally unstable spot, rip that plan

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah I ended up shoving everything in a box and taking off in the dropship, then turning around and landing again. I ended up at a different location without what I built, so it may not have actually destroyed it, but it at least put me down a ways away from it.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I picked up Icarus plus the two expansions in the Steam sale (after getting over the fact they're selling DLC for an EA game :wtc:) and was also kinda confused as to whether to do open world, outposts or a combination of the three.

Broadly speaking, the internet said to try open world for XP, missions for ren/exotics and outposts for building. I haven't actually touched open world or outposts yet as have been beelining for some early workshop unlocks like the water canteen, O2 tank and the Hark envirosuit.

Gaining ren seems to be really slow at the start of the game, even when doing hard mode missions. Are there any that are worth farming in terms of time/ren? The survey ones seem pretty straightforward.

Edit: regarding workshop unlocks on missions - everything in your inventory including equipped gear and hotbar slots will be preserved, no need to stow it in the dropship before leaving.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Obenseuer question - I got access to Deekula B basement, need to find Hanss' key to progress - is this the end current content? So I can't actually get the passport and access the Bazar?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Obenseuer question - I got access to Deekula B basement, need to find Hanss' key to progress - is this the end current content? So I can't actually get the passport and access the Bazar?

That’s correct. No Bazaar and I think that specific spot is the end of that chain currently.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does Icarus have a playmode that doesn't have the miss the dropship -> permadeath and lose all progress? It's one of those things which make me go "Oh that's very neat and also I'd hate it"

E: like can you even send up resources in pods during a run so even if your do die there's some progress from the mission?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s an open world perpetual mode with missions but lol if you play on a difficulty with environmental effects/bad storms eventually the entire forest around you permanently burns down if you want to build there.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Splicer posted:

Does Icarus have a playmode that doesn't have the miss the dropship -> permadeath and lose all progress? It's one of those things which make me go "Oh that's very neat and also I'd hate it"

E: like can you even send up resources in pods during a run so even if your do die there's some progress from the mission?

Yes the open world mission has no time limit and unlimited respawn. In both open world and regular missions you can request a pod to deliver workshop items and exotics back to the station, or you can request delivery of additional items from the workshop. The only thing you can’t get delivered to you is a new jumpsuit, and that’s where going back to the station in the drop pod can be confusing. Basically just put everything in storage at your base if you do that. Going back to the station deletes your inventory except for things that came from the station. The world stays so you can drop back in and resume and your base and everything will be there.

There’s no permadeath where you lose character progress. Levels, skills, and tech unlocks are saved separately in your character file. You don’t have to leave a mission to play another one, the same character can be in multiple missions or other servers at the same time and you can just load a different mission at any time and have all levels and unlocks achieved in others.

When playing a non-open world mission, there is a time limit and limited number of respawns. In multiplayer, other players can revive you without costing a respawn. Failure means you only lose whatever workshop items you brought down to that mission. The time limit is in game only, and way longer than you’d need. Every mission I’ve done so far has taken me around 3 hours or less.

The open world basically lets you do everything now since they finally added operations and exotics to it. Exotics are deposits you have to locate with a radar and then set up an extractor to extract them. The operations are a subset of the standalone missions so you have the added benefit of keeping your base between missions. The smpl3 missions are fun for when you get sick of building or grinding materials.

IMO there’s really no need for ren/exotics to unlock and buy stuff in the workshop if you’re only playing open world. The T3/T4 stuff you can build is better than most workshop items with a few exceptions like the backpacks or jumpsuits, and those are just mostly convenience for the extra slots. The workshop is really meant for mission gameplay so you can drop in with gear for that mission.

Personally I like the mission gameplay better than the open world. There’s really not much to do in open world other than build and progress through the tech tree. No pressure to visit the other biomes, you can do everything in the “safe” zone. Though the operations now would at least send you there but with T3/T4 gear it’s not as much of a challenge.

I find the missions more interesting because you have to plan ahead and there’s that added threat of failure. Yeah it’s a bit annoying to have to build a new base every time but it doesn’t really take that long when you already have the tech unlocked and I enjoy that early game where you have to stay on your toes. The missions tell a decent story too of slowly exploring and learning about the planet. You don’t have to tech up to tier 4 every time and the mission tells you what tier it expects to be able to accomplish it.

It’s kind of expensive if you want to get the dlc but one good thing is that on a server only the person creating a mission needs to own the dlc and then anyone can join. So I’ve played Prometheus open world on a server even though I don’t own the dlc.

I’d definitely recommend the game. I’ve played 200 hours in the past 6 weeks. There’s just something about the way the gameplay and atmosphere combines. It can be difficult but usually fair where death is from a mistake you made or from not being careful rather than some unavoidable thing.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There’s an open world perpetual mode with missions but lol if you play on a difficulty with environmental effects/bad storms eventually the entire forest around you permanently burns down if you want to build there.

Yeah storms can have annoying timing and yeah the forest does burn down like that. You’re going to be deforesting the area around your base anyway though since you’ll always need more wood. The burned trees are good for charcoal too though I haven’t really needed massive amounts of it.

Fire is supposedly a threat but in all the missions I’ve done I haven’t had a base burn down yet. Just don’t walk on a campfire. I always put mine on top of the crafting bench or build a fireplace instead. Sometimes a storm will have a tree fall on your base but that’s easy enough to repair.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of campfires, the other two nice workshop buys are the portable campfire & basic furnace. It’s really hard to burn yourself on the portable campfire and the furnace is a fraction of the weight of a stone furnace, saves a ton of room, and saves you having to farm a bunch of stone at the beginning with a lovely stone pick. They’re expensive but pretty nice to have.

Oh and if you haven’t figured it out yet, leaving the slow-mo crit effect on gives you a huge chance at crit headshots while sneaking. You can still miss, but it feels like it turns just about anything on the front half of the animal into a sneak crit which does like 10x damage or something. I drop anything under bear/mammoth/elephant/croc/scorpion with one shot from a longbow w/ bone arrows

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 28, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

VegasGoat posted:

Yeah storms can have annoying timing and yeah the forest does burn down like that. You’re going to be deforesting the area around your base anyway though since you’ll always need more wood. The burned trees are good for charcoal too though I haven’t really needed massive amounts of it.

Fire is supposedly a threat but in all the missions I’ve done I haven’t had a base burn down yet. Just don’t walk on a campfire. I always put mine on top of the crafting bench or build a fireplace instead. Sometimes a storm will have a tree fall on your base but that’s easy enough to repair.

It more bothers me as an aesthetic base builder that if I want to play on hard I basically have to settle for not building in the woods.

I know there’s the dedicated base builder mode but that kinda stinks, it’s a little too passive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VegasGoat posted:

Yes the open world mission has no time limit and unlimited respawn. In both open world and regular missions you can request a pod to deliver workshop items and exotics back to the station, or you can request delivery of additional items from the workshop. The only thing you can’t get delivered to you is a new jumpsuit, and that’s where going back to the station in the drop pod can be confusing. Basically just put everything in storage at your base if you do that. Going back to the station deletes your inventory except for things that came from the station. The world stays so you can drop back in and resume and your base and everything will be there.

There’s no permadeath where you lose character progress. Levels, skills, and tech unlocks are saved separately in your character file. You don’t have to leave a mission to play another one, the same character can be in multiple missions or other servers at the same time and you can just load a different mission at any time and have all levels and unlocks achieved in others.

When playing a non-open world mission, there is a time limit and limited number of respawns. In multiplayer, other players can revive you without costing a respawn. Failure means you only lose whatever workshop items you brought down to that mission. The time limit is in game only, and way longer than you’d need. Every mission I’ve done so far has taken me around 3 hours or less.

The open world basically lets you do everything now since they finally added operations and exotics to it. Exotics are deposits you have to locate with a radar and then set up an extractor to extract them. The operations are a subset of the standalone missions so you have the added benefit of keeping your base between missions. The smpl3 missions are fun for when you get sick of building or grinding materials.

IMO there’s really no need for ren/exotics to unlock and buy stuff in the workshop if you’re only playing open world. The T3/T4 stuff you can build is better than most workshop items with a few exceptions like the backpacks or jumpsuits, and those are just mostly convenience for the extra slots. The workshop is really meant for mission gameplay so you can drop in with gear for that mission.

Personally I like the mission gameplay better than the open world. There’s really not much to do in open world other than build and progress through the tech tree. No pressure to visit the other biomes, you can do everything in the “safe” zone. Though the operations now would at least send you there but with T3/T4 gear it’s not as much of a challenge.

I find the missions more interesting because you have to plan ahead and there’s that added threat of failure. Yeah it’s a bit annoying to have to build a new base every time but it doesn’t really take that long when you already have the tech unlocked and I enjoy that early game where you have to stay on your toes. The missions tell a decent story too of slowly exploring and learning about the planet. You don’t have to tech up to tier 4 every time and the mission tells you what tier it expects to be able to accomplish it.

It’s kind of expensive if you want to get the dlc but one good thing is that on a server only the person creating a mission needs to own the dlc and then anyone can join. So I’ve played Prometheus open world on a server even though I don’t own the dlc.

I’d definitely recommend the game. I’ve played 200 hours in the past 6 weeks. There’s just something about the way the gameplay and atmosphere combines. It can be difficult but usually fair where death is from a mistake you made or from not being careful rather than some unavoidable thing.
Thanks! In the initial release they were very much DEATH IS DEATH, glad they walked that back. It was the kind of thing where I appreciated in theory but was very much Not For Me.

Assuming everything you've said sounds good to me is it worth picking up the two big expansions? Sale + bundle brings it down to a bit over double the base game.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 28, 2023

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Splicer posted:

Thanks! In the initial release they were very much DEATH IS DEATH, glad they walked that back. It was the kind of thing where I appreciated in theory but was very much Not For Me.

Assuming everything you've said sounds good to me is it worth picking up the two big expansions? Sale + bundle brings it down to a bit over double the base game.

Yeah from what I remember hearing back then the save games were all on their remote server and the time limit was real time even when not playing. I had written it off at the time. Everything is stored locally on your system now so you can keep backups or save scum or edit things.

The expansions each add a new map with new biomes, missions and enemies but no real change to the gameplay IMO. I’d probably recommend just getting the base game and see how you like it before getting the expansions. The Prometheus expansion is better because it adds some new tech and the red exotics. I haven’t tried Styx but it seems like mostly a change of scenery.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I thought I'd hate having to start from scratch every time for missions in Icarus but it actually seems to keep things fresh. I like the variety in building little purpose-built bunkers in weird locations rather than the sprawling mansions I usually build in survival games. Having a definite objective in each mission is also a neat change of pace from a true sandbox.

That said I have installed a couple of mods to make things a bit more solo-friendly:
WZG Overhaul: this does a ton of stuff but primarily makes things less grindy at higher tiers.
Zen Hephaestus: increases level cap to 100 and gives you more perks per level. This is definitely overpowered but it's cool being able to have hunting and farming skills early on.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
VS: found bismuth + sphalerite (& a bonus lead vein) and made my first bronze - think I have enough for a pick, hammer, propick & anvil with some left over for a couple plates for a mining bag, tho first batch of leather is almost done for backpacks, too. Also got my first populated skep & started the apiary so I’m almost ready to start sealing up a bunch of crocks for winter. Thinking about learning how to do windmills & gears and such next cause manual querning blows, and it seems like it’ll be useful once I get iron, anyways.

I’ve been playing as the hunter class for the move speed, and crude arrows are pretty nice to have, too Thinking about giving clockmaker & blackguard a try down the road, clock for speed + locust stuff + less temporal gears needed and blackguard for trying out more intense caving maybe. Move speed plus ranged damage is pretty nice for now tho. What classes do ppl like in general?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

idiotsavant posted:

What classes do ppl like in general?

Hunter every time for the extra movespeed and damage for ranged combat - I like to use the Bullseye mod to make bows more skill-based. Ore is plentiful once you find it and I play with 200% harvesting speed so I don't really notice the penalties.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I've just been playing as Commoner, wasn't sure what to expect so I didn't want to mess with negative traits.

It is now late November in my world which means winter has set in. I'm doing much better in terms of my food supplies than I thought I would. I went a little excessive with my prep making meals to store in crocks, and now I have years worth of sealed food and plenty of fresh food to cook with in the short term. It didn't occur to me that winter temperatures would keep uncooked food from spoiling for so long! I thought I was going to need meals.

I've found tons of Bismuth so far but no sphalerite yet. I've only just gotten the hang of the ProPick so I've got a few traces discovered that I'm going to investigate soon. To that end, I've been playing on vanilla settings but I finally installed my first mod: ProspectorInfo. I HIGHLY recommend this one, it saves prospecting results right on your map automatically, and they only show while you are holding a ProPick so it helps reduce map clutter.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Clockmaker, I like repairing translocators.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't enjoy the combat, so I go Malefactor every time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I go hunter every time for the same reason. Run speed++ means you can outrun bears and wolves very easily

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hunter 4 life.

That said anyone playing solo should toggle the setting that lets anyone make the class specific crafting items.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Senrab posted:

I've found tons of Bismuth so far but no sphalerite yet. I've only just gotten the hang of the ProPick so I've got a few traces discovered that I'm going to investigate soon. To that end, I've been playing on vanilla settings but I finally installed my first mod: ProspectorInfo. I HIGHLY recommend this one, it saves prospecting results right on your map automatically, and they only show while you are holding a ProPick so it helps reduce map clutter.

im playing vanilla too, but would recommend two other QOL mods along with ProspectorInfo - the basic HUD that gives you a little temp/time/wind/rift indicator up in the corner so you don't have to pull up your character screen all the time, and the mod that lets things cook and stack (torches, meat stacks, etc) without having to remove the finished item and restart the cooking.

If you're desperate you can pan sphalerite from gravel/sand, and you don't need too much for bismuth bronze, which at least gets you a pick/propick that lasts longer & mines a little faster

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Tamed a moa in Icarus and tried out the mount system - it owns holy poo poo. Only took 15 minutes whilst I went and did something else and is so much faster than walking.

Got caught in a lightning storm, bird was concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Would you recommend Icarus to a solo player that loves base building and survival games?