Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If you're the head of government, it's debatable how much it matters whether people take you seriously, domestically at least. Your party can still craft and pass legislation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

infernal machines posted:

If you're the head of government, it's debatable how much it matters whether people take you seriously, domestically at least. Your party can still craft and pass legislation.

Take the Fords, please!!!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The thread is being kind to Poilievre on blaming the media. He attacked CTV for their reporting, but their first mention of it as a possible terrorist incident was after he said that in the house.

quote:

The timestamp on the article indicates that it was published at 2:39 p.m. ET on Wednesday. Subsequent tweets from the article's author and CTV itself were published at 2:40 p.m. and 2:50 p.m. respectively. Poilievre asked his question at 2:25 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-explosion-rainbow-bridge-1.7038425

This coming from the guy who tells his followers not to believe the media.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Maneck posted:

The thread is being kind to Poilievre on blaming the media. He attacked CTV for their reporting, but their first mention of it as a possible terrorist incident was after he said that in the house.

I know I'm Pollyannaish but it really feels like the worm is turning on Pierre this week and 'Ascendant Prime Minister to be' won't be his media narrative much longer.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Maneck posted:

I don't think anyone in here is being kind to Skippy?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Another Bill posted:

I know I'm Pollyannaish but it really feels like the worm is turning on Pierre this week and 'Ascendant Prime Minister to be' won't be his media narrative much longer.

I hope you're right but 9+ years of ~Justin Trudeau!@#!~ right wing rage is starting to stick with non-chuds.

There's plenty of ways Trudeau sucks obviously, just not in the dumb ways chuds like to complain about.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Has Rick Mercer returned to calling the Liberals "Canada's Natural Governing Party"? If so, we're hosed.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I live in one of the least walkable/public transit friendly cities in Ontario (maybe even Canada), so a vehicle is a must unless youre rich as gently caress and can afford to have everything delivered.

My durable, awesome 15 year old SX4 finally went to car heaven and I am now vehicle shopping and it is one of the worst experiences ever and Im tempted to move to Nunavut and buy a loving tiny quad just to never have to deal with car dealerships ever again (Hyundai and Ford have been the 2 worst rated and lovely places I have gone to browse and its not even close).

Sup SX4 bro. Just passed 241k and I dread the day when I have to replace it. I live and work in the countryside and am pretty much forever obligated to have a car. Hope mine lasts until I save enough money for a hybrid or EV.

Also, gently caress PP you dime-store wannaTrump.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Another Bill posted:

I think if more people saw the excellent impression the 22 minutes guy does of him, they'd feel weird about casting their vote for the party he leads. Or not, I'm just using this take as an excuse to share it because, "I figured out what you're talking about : piss!" is such a funny line read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22lWNSbHnr0

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Distinct urine energy is a pro tier username.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

McGavin posted:

Distinct urine energy is a pro tier username.

Without spaces, it JUST fits.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Another Bill posted:

On the other hand take a look at Ontario provincial party polling. Doug Ford’s government has maintained a fairly solid lead through all their crooked and stupid actions. The provincial Liberal party’s brand is so badly damaged that a lot of people don’t see them as a better alternative. And the provincial NDP, like the federal party, has totally failed to benefit from that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fornax Disaster posted:

On the other hand take a look at Ontario provincial party polling. Doug Ford’s government has maintained a fairly solid lead through all their crooked and stupid actions. The provincial Liberal party’s brand is so badly damaged that a lot of people don’t see them as a better alternative. And the provincial NDP, like the federal party, has totally failed to benefit from that.

Ignore the polls and look at Doug. He's a loser, couldn't even get his signature piece of legislation passed with a giant majority, and his donors know it. I don't think he wins again.

e: I mean it was passed but he repealed it after public backlash.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Maybe this is Jagmeets time to shine lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Willatron posted:

NDP falling backwards into a minority win only to be thwarted by the Con/Bloc/Liberal coalition that inevitably forms would be very Canadian.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

NDP falling backwards into a minority win only to be thwarted by the Con/Bloc/Liberal coalition that inevitably forms would be very Canadian.

That would never happen

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

As much as the Cons and Libs equally hate the NDP, the Cons would take the Prime Minister seat since they'd be the larger party in that coalition scenario, and Lib voters would then jump ship in droves. The party's fallen to 3rd place before, such a betrayal could definitely cause it to happen again. They will unite over each other's cold corpses.

The Bloc seem happy right now to sit as an independent... block. I don't think that will change for this election but it easily could in the future if the ruling party does something stupid and needs ousting. Which I could easily see the Cons doing again.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
I know we're a bit past liquor chat, but wanted to chime in on something important I think from the rural perspective. Out here one of the things I really like about the liquor store is that they're well paid positions and well staffed. There's never a time where it's just one person so incentive to steal is low and employee safety is high. The other benefit to that is we have liquor stores working as a kind of wealth redistribution mechanism where stores in places like Port Aux Basques or Lab West are able to hire on some people, pay them a decent wage, and benefit those smaller communities with the wages now going back into local stores. Not to mention they're great positions for people with lower educational backgrounds to earn a living wage. If they pulled the crown monopoly like was outlined in the God awful Maya Greene Report on how to Ayn Rand NL, what will end up happening is liquor prices will stay the same "because the market can bear it" and those positions in small communities will disappear with the cost savings simply going into the pockets of the small town shop owners who are already the richest folks in town, or to Irving/circle k. Out here it seems like a massive lose/lose situation, and that's without even getting into the fact that the NLLC profits just go back directly into government rather than some rich dudes tfsa.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've heard the same about the NS liquor commission but the union website is down so I can't actually check their pay scales. Either way there's no doubt private stores would be offering minimum wage because why wouldn't they lol. There are plenty of breweries that sell cases and they pay their sales clerks min wage afaik

Willatron posted:

Think of the Rolexs and rental property he could buy on a PM's salary. But seriously it's beyond breathtaking just how badly the NDP is failing to (lol) capitalise on Grit unpopularity. I'm obviously very cynical and so expect a decisive Tory win in the next election but the NDP could make actual gains by standing up for something, anything, rather than relying entirely on being able to squeeze out paltry concessions that are almost all theoretical or aggressively means tested

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

To chime in on the booze chat, I heard a story on the news this evening about craft brewers in Ontario having a tough time with the rising cost of inputs, labour, and apparently tax increases. The story also mentioned that there's been a bit of a decline in drinking generally, as well as people choosing to buy less pricy options than your $5 can of DIIPA or whatever. The other wrinkle is just how saturated the craft beer market is, at least in this neck of hte woods near Ottawa. Just in a 30 min drive from me there are probably 10 or so brewers, it's probably a bit too much and this is a market correction that'll unfortunately see some brewers fold

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I saw the following people get booed by the crowd at Tim Hortons Field thus summer:

CFL refs,
The Toronto Argonauts,
Andrea Horwath

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I learned recently that there is a craft distillery in Victoria that makes a peated single malt whisky. In completely unrelated news I have had a massive headache today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ZShakespeare posted:

I learned recently that there is a craft distillery in Victoria that makes a peated single malt whisky. In completely unrelated news I have had a massive headache today.

I hate the headaches that accompany me learning of similar things. My most recent learning was of a Mexican bar down the street with a very affordable happy hour. The weight of that knowledge caused a mighty headache the following day.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

ZShakespeare posted:

How’s that taste compared to Lagavulin 16. I love peated single malt.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I am by no means an expert on scotch, but I’d compare it to the Talisker 10 year.

E: the distiller is MacAloney and the peated whisky I tried was the Siol Dugall. It was part of a taster pack that I received as a gift.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 25, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

MNIMWA posted:

To chime in on the booze chat, I heard a story on the news this evening about craft brewers in Ontario having a tough time with the rising cost of inputs, labour, and apparently tax increases. The story also mentioned that there's been a bit of a decline in drinking generally, as well as people choosing to buy less pricy options than your $5 can of DIIPA or whatever. The other wrinkle is just how saturated the craft beer market is, at least in this neck of hte woods near Ottawa. Just in a 30 min drive from me there are probably 10 or so brewers, it's probably a bit too much and this is a market correction that'll unfortunately see some brewers fold

Yeah I've seen a number of articles in the last 6 months or so about "alarm" in the craft brewing community. When inflation is rampant it definitely makes sense that people are going to dump high cost luxury goods like craft beer or alcohol altogether. For other reasons we haven't had alcohol at all in that time period and I'm doubtful that we'll be returning.

There's a very welcome surge in producers of alcohol-free drinks recently as well. Even things like when we went to Atelier one of the pairing options was all alcohol-free cocktails. It's really nice I have to say.

Also agree that Ottawa has absolute piles of small-scale breweries.

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

Another Bill posted:

But what if we agree with PP that it was terrorist attack and we need a War on Cars to keep us safe?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If it's a good idea you're agreeing with, you can safely bet it wasn't one of PP's

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

DiscretionOverValor posted:

But what if we agree with PP that it was terrorist attack and we need a War on Cars to keep us safe?

you'd be right! the last terrorist attack to occur in canada was committed using a truck

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

DiscretionOverValor posted:

A Bentley is a rich person’s car, and the rich are all terrorists to the worker, if you think about, so

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Glimpse posted:

A Bentley is a rich person’s car, and the rich are all terrorists to the worker, if you think about, so

Well someone’s gotta clean all that up after all.

But let’s be real for a sec. I don’t think actual rich people drive cars like that. It’s always wannabe HENRY type people people who get them used to front around while being horribly in debt.

Rich people drive 20 year old Toyotas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kraftwerk posted:

Well someone’s gotta clean all that up after all.

But let’s be real for a sec. I don’t think actual rich people drive cars like that. It’s always wannabe HENRY type people people who get them used to front around while being horribly in debt.

Rich people drive 20 year old Toyotas.

It depends. Some wealthy people definitely have utterly absurd car collections, because they just love cars, but it's usually for the same reason other rich people buy statues or paintings, not for the same reason a HENRY leases an expensive car.

The person with the car collection will drive a nicely-appointed midrange car on a daily basis, the HENRY will drive a Bentley to buy groceries and park it like a prick because he's afraid of anyone dinging it. The wealthy person who doesn't give a gently caress about cars will drive the 20 year old Toyota precisely because they don't care about cars and want to save money.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Another Bill posted:

The Star:
Conservative missteps raise questions of judgment

The Globe and Mail:
Pierre Poilievre’s lousy week of leadership

The Hill Times:
Poilievre’s cheap shot at CP journalist has not gone unnoticed

He is going to loving melt and throw a tantrum under scrutiny.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Another Bill posted:

He is going to loving melt and throw a tantrum under scrutiny.

Or: How Doug Ford won a Second Election

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So Olivia Chow is agreeing to give up fighting against Ford's garbage plan for Ontario Place in exchange for Ontario uploading the DVP and Gardiner (the latter of which should be demolished but is even less likely to be now) and chucking in some funds for transit, including new subway trains and cash for the clusterfuck Eglinton LRT and the less-bad Finch West one.

This is being portrayed as a big realpolitik win and maybe it is compared to the plausible alternatives but it still stinks a hell of a lot more than what the outcome should have been - Ford and everyone who showed up to his daughter's wedding for favours thrown in jail, assets seized and used to fund crumbling city infrastructure and decaying provincial services.

Another Bill posted:

November 15th! I've been calling it since August and I'm very curious to see if I'm right.

Yeah I think you missed on this one, Bill.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Thank goodness all the rich people will get a slightly nicer subway or whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Line 2 runs east-west between Scarborough and Etobicoke, through the city core. It's a major artery for people getting to/from work and being able to live and run errands throughout the city. If the wheels fall off the trains, everyone is hosed. As a point of comparison, Line 2 alone sees more than 2x as many riders per day as live in Sudbury. They're not all rich.

The Gardener is a piece of poo poo that should've been torn down a decade ago, it's a financial millstone around our necks, and yet handing it off to the province has almost certainly hosed us in the long term. That land is gone now, as are any potential service revenues from tolling it. Maybe, for this one year, the cash infusion will help, and that's better than a kick in the pants, but probably not by a lot, long term.

Folding like a cheap map on Ontario Place is disappointing if not unexpected. If the province owns the land, they are going to do whatever they want with it, and at best we can put up barriers in terms of the support infrastructure we're willing to fund for it.

I guess Chow was staring at a gaping hole in the budget we had no way to fund and the prospect of overseeing sweeping cuts that would have made John Tory blush, and decided to make a deal with the devil for a year's grace.

We're still hosed.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 28, 2023

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The province would never allow Toronto to toll the Gardiner cause the 905 would hate it. At least the PCs and Liberals would never allow it. The NDP might but if we have an NDP provincial government they’d probably also be open to tearing it down even if they own it.

It’s lovely but I think I agree with the realpolitikers on this one.

Had they not uploaded it, did Toronto have the Council votes and will to tear down the Gardiner?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They hadn't to date, on the other hand, that's no longer a possibility. And anything the province decides to do with it goes, from now until the city is scorched from the Earth by an expanding sun, as illustrated by Ontario Place.

We have, in recent years, had a rash of the province taking major infrastructure off our hands, and I don't see this being a good thing just because we used it to plug a gaping hole in the budget, one year.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Isn't there ongoing expense from the Gardiner and Don Valley parkway? How is it only one year of savings from uploading all of that to the province?