Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

I don't care how long it takes, with brand new players we do the entire invader phase one step, one land at a time as a group. In addition to the above they usually have a tough time grasping that damage is simultaneously done to the land and to the dahan, and defense would cover both.

Sorry, old post, I'm catching up - what I do here is avoid talking about Blight in terms of damage, exactly. Seeing as it's generally a binary Blight / No Blight in this game, and it's always binary like that at teaching difficulties, I prefer to phrase it as first asking if the enemy has more than 1 strength - if so, Blight. Then we expend the strength against the Dahan. A slight change in phrasing does a lot to prevent confusion like "but they already did their damage to the land why are natives hurt." Defense reduces the enemy strength, which is a mite less confusing than saying Defense reduces two applications of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Posting in the Spirit Island thread.

I play on the app mostly these days, almost always as Sharp Fangs.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Speaking of, has anyone tried the new aspect for Sharp Fangs? I always thought the no-Blight targeting limitation really shut them down and I’m interested to see how it compares.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jimmeeee posted:

Speaking of, has anyone tried the new aspect for Sharp Fangs? I always thought the no-Blight targeting limitation really shut them down and I’m interested to see how it compares.

It is powerful but being listed as the same complexity felt like a cruel joke.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I also play mostly on the app, I like the new Horizons spirits cuz I'm a dummy. When they add the Jagged Earth stuff to the computer version I'm gonna have like 300 hrs in this game, easy.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is powerful but being listed as the same complexity felt like a cruel joke.

In the sense that it makes the Spirit way too easy?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jimmeeee posted:

In the sense that it makes the Spirit way too easy?

I find non-aspect Sharp Fangs pretty easy and intuitive to play. The only reasons it could be considered medium complexity is its use of tokens and maybe its need to draft to deal with blight.

There are two new aspects. I played the one that was listed as the same complexity, the other one is supposed to be lower complexity.

You no longer can move presence and the targeting is really weird, you basically want beast tokens to circle around lands with invaders. I felt like I was constantly misplaying it because you do everything differently. Where you drop presence, making sure you have good coverage, where you want to move beasts, early game damage is way down, it is basically a new beast spirit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Base Fangs earns its complexity rating, sacrificing presence for beasts is a tough balancing act. Fangs has a lot of demanding targeting requirements, so maintaining enough presence where you need it is much trickier than it is for most spirits, especially since your primary movement is tied to your staple attack. It does get somewhat easier if you lean on top track and just mash the major power button though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Base Fangs earns its complexity rating, sacrificing presence for beasts is a tough balancing act. Fangs has a lot of demanding targeting requirements, so maintaining enough presence where you need it is much trickier than it is for most spirits, especially since your primary movement is tied to your staple attack. It does get somewhat easier if you lean on top track and just mash the major power button though.

My impression is that the aspect requires more long term plannIng because you still need to sacrifice presence to get beasts but you can't move your presence around after their initial placement. It is very easy to move to wherever you need to go if you aren't using the new aspect.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The Tabletop Simulator version got an update with all the Horizons spirits, for everyone using that one. Looking forward to my first game as the dirt otter.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Encircle aspect kicks rear end actually.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fractured Days is the coolest spirit bar none. I Poured Time Sideways onto my own board like three times, not even trying to mitigate the chaos of doubled Builds and only stopping some of the Ravages, and then with us on the Blight brink one of the others hit my home board with Cast Into The Deeps for a ludicrous number of kills worth near 30 Fear and victory.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I played a game with a buddy over the weekend where he played Hearth Vigil and I played Dances Up Earthquakes. Those are some powerful spirits. I did almost exclusively top-row growth for Dances and got most of my card plays via the "pending" mechanism, and on the last turn of invader stage 2 I hit the "kill everything" threshold for my quake tokens and had two majors go off with full thresholds. Hearth Vigil was surprisingly good at fear gen, too.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
First impression of Wounded Waters Bleeding is that its the spirit you play if you are teaching or are prone to AP because drat you don’t have a lot of hard choices early aside from figuring out what aspect your drafts are pointing you towards. It didn’t feel like I popped off that hard once I healed, but I also had the classic animal spirit ‘see 75% disease events’ game which tempered the large amount of animal tokens. I went with damage side as we were vs Russia, because I forgot you can remove explorers with downgrade, which may have contributed. I didn’t hate the spirit, I just thought the first 3 turns had way less thinking than I’m used to.

I also played Hearth Vigil recently which was fun, just a strong spirit with an interesting spin on Dahan interaction. Took me a bit to understand how to move around the dahan groups with the powers, and also drag your tokens. I never felt comfortable grabbing a major, but I had pretty bad (expensive) minor drafts that was leaving me energy starved and I think my play tends towards bottom track. I feel the spirit immediately wins if you get any of the better Dahan majors

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fellis posted:

First impression of Wounded Waters Bleeding is that its the spirit you play if you are teaching or are prone to AP because drat you don’t have a lot of hard choices early aside from figuring out what aspect your drafts are pointing you towards. It didn’t feel like I popped off that hard once I healed, but I also had the classic animal spirit ‘see 75% disease events’ game which tempered the large amount of animal tokens. I went with damage side as we were vs Russia, because I forgot you can remove explorers with downgrade, which may have contributed. I didn’t hate the spirit, I just thought the first 3 turns had way less thinking than I’m used to.

What’s AP short for — and by teaching do you mean “you, experienced player, are playing this alongside someone new” or are you giving Wounded Waters to the new player? I’ve seen the board and I don’t understand how they work at all…

Also it’s worth mentioning that at least one of the “remove all the beasts” events is retired (Strange Madness…).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AweStriker posted:

What’s AP short for

Analysis Paralysis: When confronted with choices, many players will freeze up or overanalyze to the point where they disrupt play.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ah, I’ve never seen that abbreviated. Thank you!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

AweStriker posted:

I’ve seen the board and I don’t understand how they work at all…

A quick summary of the spirit is you play normally, but at the end of each 'card play' phase you check your elements. If you have more waters, you put a water token down, if you have more animals, you put an animal token down. If there is a tie you chose. Functionally this means you get to chose every turn on the first 3, as you have a Water/Animal element choice on the presence track, and your starting hand has either one or both of those elements. With only being able to play 1 card, you can force a tie every round if need be, or fire one of your innate powers by committing. After 3 turns, you take the healing card of whatever majority you had (2/3 animals tokens or 2/3 water tokens) and on the fifth turn you take a second healing card of the majority (3/5 element tokens)

So T1 - T3 you have no choice about your growths as you won't have a healing card (so can't take your 3rd growth option), and your presence track is a line. The only thing you have to focus on is which set of healing cards you will take and IMO this is largely determined by the elements on the powers you draft on the first 3 turns, and possibly on T4/T5.

I'd put a picture of the healing cards but couldn't find a nice image of all 4 in a cursory search.

At T3, you get a card that gives you a new innate power, one that compliments the Water/Plant side of the elements and one that compliments the Fire/Animal side. Water/Plant does more "permanent" damage with downgrading invaders, and is better for synergizing with other spirits/dahan and busting Cities (as other spirit movement/damage is generally better at taking out explorers/towns). Fire/Animal does more damage which needs to be in specific chunks, but also rewards with fear accumulation, and it synergizes better with animals which is somewhat dependent on the event deck giving you some decent damage effects. However both of these cards synergize with the rest of your kit, base innates and the T5 upgrade both, so on your first play it's not a huge concern which you get.

At T5, you replace one of your innate powers with a much more powerful version of whatever element you were leaning into. The important part is: for your first time playing the spirit, a combo of any T3 and T5 power is very effective! You should just play and draft the power cards that give you the greatest effect, and let the elements fall where they do the first 2-3 turns. After that you probably want to be a bit more careful that you play towards one aspect or the other (as you've unlocked 2 card plays).

The other choice you will have is destroying a presence or forgetting a power card. You always destroy a presence unless it will lose you the game, because having cards is very good (even bad cards can be sac'd for a major!), and you have a growth option that lets you replay destroyed presence. Places of Power are only necessary if you draft into them, and between the growth option distances, it's trivial to be within 1 distance of the entire island. This is important because gathering Blight out of an area that you can't cover the ravage on is crazy powerful and helps you trigger your more useful powers.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 19, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SuperKlaus posted:

Sorry, old post, I'm catching up - what I do here is avoid talking about Blight in terms of damage, exactly. Seeing as it's generally a binary Blight / No Blight in this game, and it's always binary like that at teaching difficulties, I prefer to phrase it as first asking if the enemy has more than 1 strength - if so, Blight. Then we expend the strength against the Dahan. A slight change in phrasing does a lot to prevent confusion like "but they already did their damage to the land why are natives hurt." Defense reduces the enemy strength, which is a mite less confusing than saying Defense reduces two applications of damage.

Fair enough, but I feel like this would lead to confusion later - things like "the Dahan and Invaders deal damage simultaneously" is normally relevant to stop a Blight, but if you're teaching that Blight comes first, it's gonna require a bit of going back and reteaching. There's a couple other effects that would end up with the same confusion, relying on the fact that the human battles happen first.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

John Lee posted:

Fair enough, but I feel like this would lead to confusion later - things like "the Dahan and Invaders deal damage simultaneously" is normally relevant to stop a Blight, but if you're teaching that Blight comes first, it's gonna require a bit of going back and reteaching. There's a couple other effects that would end up with the same confusion, relying on the fact that the human battles happen first.

I don't think this is correct? Blight and human battles happen simultaneously, neither happen first. "Dahan and Invaders deal damage simultaneously" effects can't stop blight.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Photux posted:

I don't think this is correct? Blight and human battles happen simultaneously, neither happen first. "Dahan and Invaders deal damage simultaneously" effects can't stop blight.

Right. Per the rules, the blight still happens (assuming the pre-attack invader strength is sufficient to inflict two points of damage past any defense). The only difference is that the Dahan 'counterattack' is not reduced by damage received before it goes off. (Page 9 core rulebook mistakenly omits the word 'simultaneously,' though the example on pg. 11 is correct, per the FAQ.)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ah, well you see

In that case

Uh

gently caress, poo poo

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finally had the time to play around with NI; did two solo games, no adversary, to get the feeling for the spirits and some of the new rules as well as shake off the rust. Hearth-Vigil rates a strong meh from me, but Ember-Eyed Behemoth is so good and fun it feels like cheating. Holy cow, it's so awesome. (I am easily pleased.)

Hope to be able to carve out more time tomorrow...maybe play with some of the aspects? See if Shroud is finally worth bringing out?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Womped level 1 England with a newbie. The new player tried Keeper of Forbidden Wilds and I played Hearth-Vigil.

Some very lucky Invader cards plus some smart wild token placement meant Keeper's board was pretty much empty by turn five. Thanks thematic boards!

We won at terror level three by nuking my island slice with the black hole major. I think I need to shuffle better, the black hole always shows up to save our bacon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For me it’s Briny Deeps.

Any time I hit the point where poo poo has gone south too badly, I stop caring if I win and only care that the invaders lose.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

scorched earth hell yeah

anyone have a storage solution that actually works? I'm pretty over the inserts and their lovely card holders. might just rip everything out and go to magic-style card cardboard boxes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tokenbrownguy posted:

scorched earth hell yeah

anyone have a storage solution that actually works? I'm pretty over the inserts and their lovely card holders. might just rip everything out and go to magic-style card cardboard boxes.

I have everything EXCEPT the optional, fancy invader board. It all fits in a Plano 1374 tackle box. That's my go-to for large games. I own a few of them.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tokenbrownguy posted:

scorched earth hell yeah

All my cards are sleeved and I use the premium token set because I'm a sucker for this game. I have the Tower Rex organizer in the core box (https://www.etsy.com/listing/917189..._search_click=1). Most everything fits in here except:
  • Deckbox with majors
  • Deckbox with events/cheat sheet cards/power progression cards (if I ever will use them again; unlikely)
  • Spirit panels
  • Invader/fear board (not the extra board that came with B&C/JE; that one is stored away)
  • A few baggies with the new NI pieces
The bulleted items are in one of these with a washcloth to keep stuff from sliding around too much: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-6-Qt-Storage-Box-16426A60/308820126

This solution works great not only for setup and teardown but also for getting pieces during the game as needed. Not sure I'd buy a new organizer now, though, when they'll probably come out with another one sooner rather than later. And I can't say enough about TowerRex's stuff. High quality Ukrainian goods.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
everything released currently just barely fits into the old broken token organizer. unfortunately i cannot recommend it due to the owner's whole deal. There's quite a lot of nice ones on Etsy, though!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Many years ago, I had friends who were big into boardgames and had started making organizers for their board games. I remember talking to them about how excited they were to be working with a guy from broken token. They were creating designs, and he was going to handle distributing them, and there was to be a profit sharing agreement.

Several months later, the were very unhappy. It turns out that the guy from broken token shows took their design and slapped his logo on it, and was selling it, and never paid them when he had agreed to pay them. They had received some tiny insignificant amount after hounding him for months.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
A very quick trip report from the game I played last night:

There were 3 spirits in play. Me and my partner played Volcano Looming High as a team, then there was also Shroud of Silent Mist and Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble. I had only played once before, the other 2 players had half a dozen games of base SI under their belt. We played without an adversary, blight card or scenario since we added in the rest of the stuff from the Jagged Earth expansion which nobody had used before.

I found the build up to boom cycle tough to get used to at first with the volcano so things started to get out of hand. Luckily the Trickster was laying strife everywhere to protect the land and thin out some enemy numbers occasionally. We had a nasty looking coastal build that may have proven problematic if it had a chance to ravage. What looked to be an issue ended up saving us though as we were able to push most things into one territory, then with the pyroclastic conflagration we set a badland and did 1 damage to everything, then Mist swept in to work with the badland to finish the rest of. It got us the fear we needed to go up a level and we managed to clean up and win not long after that. It ended up being a fairly comfortable victory so we probably could have tried with an adversary/blight card. Maybe next time.

Starlight Seeks Its Form seemed to baffle all of us. Literally everybody looked at it, thought it looked interesting and considered trying it, but then decided to go with something simpler. Another thing to add to the "maybe next time" pile.

I cannot express how delighted I am to have found people to (hopefully) play SI with more regularly. Such an excellent game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Starlight is my favorite JE spirit. Its complexity can be broken down with some system knowledge. You're making a spirit from parts. Deciding which elements to favor, whether you're going to be a major power slinger or not, etc. Your cards are a gacha you pull and see what you get; all their starter cards are more or less designed to be flushed away asap for a grab bag of minor/major powers you can design yourself around.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Starlight is my favorite JE spirit. Its complexity can be broken down with some system knowledge. You're making a spirit from parts. Deciding which elements to favor, whether you're going to be a major power slinger or not, etc. Your cards are a gacha you pull and see what you get; all their starter cards are more or less designed to be flushed away asap for a grab bag of minor/major powers you can design yourself around.

It's pretty ridiculous - you can basically drop a major every turn from turn 2 onward.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Fractured Days is definitely the more "uhhh, do what now?" JE spirit, for me anyway.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Same. Starlight turns into a normal spirit after a couple turns, whereas Fractured Days is always screwy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My friends keep trying to gaslight me into thinking volcano is bad and I don't understand them.

We just did a game last night where I played Volcano and despite the game ending with my entire board clear they kept making excuses like "Well it wouldn't have worked without Finder helping you out" (incorrect, the only thing finder did was bring in more things for me to kill) and "oh but its such a selfish spirit, you didn't help anyone out" (also incorrect, not only did I carve a big hole in Towering Roots' board I also stuck around to help kill and defend)

We did end up losing that game, Scotland level 6 is a really rough one. But Volcano worked out great. :colbert:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I did a solo game as Wandering Voice Keens Delirium, against Level 3 France. I know, kind of an easy setup, but I was in the mood to hit some home runs. Anyway, there were some close calls - I drew a double-Wetlands in the transition to phase 2, and then the Coastal Lands card on a board with two coastal Wetlands - but even with Voice's malus to counterattacks, the slave revolt card is so helpful. Won the game with nineteen Dahan on the single board. I had virtually no way to move them around, but God, they were just everywhere.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Wounded Waters fuckkkssssss. Holy drat the "place beast to do damage based on beasts present" is an amazing card.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Volcano owns. Especially if you focus on small eruptions instead of saving up for the big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The Big One seems like it's mostly for memes but the other levels of eruption all feel like valid options to plan for.