Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah he could have very easily stuck with the weirdly stiff vector puppet style and gone nowhere.

Yeah. It won't be long until we get some hand-drawn SGR showing up but his Bad Machinery era style doesn't start to come together until like, 2007 or so.

Scary Go Round (March 1-4, 2004)

First appearance: Wayne. Yeah, that's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You may wanna run, Rev.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, that would leave them alone in the house with Billie and Maggie.

Honestly I feel like these two really ought to be considered legitimate targets for violence, given that they're actively using dark magic to hurt people. Either there's laws against that and they should be in jail, or there aren't and they're the kind of thing the Reverend should be burying in the backyard.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 5-10, 2004)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm worried poor Brian will peek in from the window, see Rev with these two, and there's a huge misunderstanding where he thinks Rev would rather be friends with them than with Brian. :ohdear:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 11-16, 2004)

Well'p. RIP Fallon, I'm sure with this strip's track record of killing characters off we'll never see her again :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, Billie...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
:(

Scary Go Round (March 17-22, 2004)

take it eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A lot of stuff in Steeple kind of gives me a feeling of "if this is the kind of thing that can actually happen in this world, people should probably be less blindsided by it."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 23-27, 2004)

:O

Picking up tomorrow: A slight format change to 6 panels per day, and a tale of the mystical Isle of Wight.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 28-31, 2004)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That last strip is melodious and cements Hugo as my favorite SGR character.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Every few months there is a page that I find very hard to draw, and it’s never a complex one. I chipped away at this one for ages, redrawing panels and couldn’t make it graceful enough. As I am sure I’ve said before, under these circumstances, one should throw the original rough (and maybe even the script) for the page away and find another way to say the same thing – if it needed saying at all. But by the time I realise I’m in trouble, it’s far too late for a redux.

The nice thing is, as one of hundreds, it skates by the viewer’s eyes. It’s only those fruitless hours working on it where it is the only thing in front of my face that the page truly annoys me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (April 1-5, 2004)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like the colossal shadow of a bra hanging behind Billie and Maggie.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The miracle of John Allison's work is that he has been Incredibly Horny for 20+ years now but not once has he ever slipped over the line into Too Horny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skulker posted:

The miracle of John Allison's work is that he has been Incredibly Horny for 20+ years now but not once has he ever slipped over the line into Too Horny.

Does this only count stuff he's drawn himself? Because some panels of Esther and Nina in Giant Days came close to the line...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Apart from the Bad Machinery kids, Allison's preferred protagonists are all attractive young women with sassy personalities. He's definitely got a type, but it never veers into feeling gross.

Edit: and guess which of the Bad Machinery kids got their own spin-offs when they aged up. Hint; none of the boys

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, he's got some horniness, but he's funny about it. I think it's what helped set him apart from other artists in the nightmare of the 2000s webcomic sphere who clearly had a case of the horndog going on. It never went too far and was almost always just for cheekiness.

Scary Go Round (April 6-8, 2004)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I’m glad to see this plot thread hasn’t been dropped. It seemed like such a weird, mean thing to end the arc on but apparently that’s not the last of it.

(It’s new to me!)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I decided while drawing this page that every time I write the words “ding dong” in Steeple from now on, it will be in gothic script. I get in at least one more before the end.

The Michelin man, or “Bibendum” is one of my favourite character designs in his original form. Here is a film where you can witness his genesis, accompanied by someone playing a barrelhouse version of Gershwin’s “Rhapsody In Blue”. What rich gravy the past was.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (April 9-13, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (April 14-16, 2004)

Well, that was quick! Tomorrow we start a side story idiosyncratically called Count My Toes. It's a brief return to the 4-panel-a-day format and also a brief jaunt into John Allison changing the font to something somehow worse than Comic Sans! Apparently the eBook version has Comic Sans and a slightly different ending but I don't own the eBooks and scraped these strips from the Internet Archive so you're getting it the same way I did originally and every re-read since: with all the peak 2004 webcomic mistakes intact :unsmigghh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Everything about "Count My Toes" was thrown together in a panic. I was working on another book and this story became the poor relation.

What saved it from being totally without merit was the fact that i could sit in the garden in the sun and write it. So greatly did I enjoy sitting under my inexpensive canopy that most comics had twice as many words as were strictly necessary.

I realise now that this was a bad example to set the young.

Confessions: the title doesn't mean anything (although I pretended that it did). The plot reprised a few popular characters who had to all intents and purposes been put away because I had nothing left for them to do.

In delivering my warmed-over "greatest hits", Scary Go Round became "the comic where Shelley dies, repeatedly". Of course, in this story, she doesn't die. As any fool can see, she just has a series of rather unpleasant and unfortunate accidents.

And in its original form, the comics were lettered in a way that made them hard to read. But who hasn't made a mistake in their life? I bet you, reader, have made a mistake at least once. It happens! To compound insult and injury, I ended the story on a cliffhanger which I had no intention of ever resolving.

So, in the spirit of reconciliation, I've attempted to mend everything that ailed this tale. I've been through every panel mending rushed art, I've drawn new panels to fix cut corners, and I've written an ending that, if not exactly a satisfying pay off, should let people rest easy at night. [editor's note: you do not get this version. we are chuggin' from the internet archive faucet of SGR here.]

And I've even worked on repairing myself. As I nursed (through the late summer months) a drawing hand that had become little more than a withered claw, I made a decision. All comics would now be drawn by telekinesis (or as I dubbed it, "movey-mind").

Scary Go Round (May 10-13, 2004)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, i forgot all about the extended zombie phase.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Oh no, Lorraine Lumsford, the scourge of Tredregyn Parish. She’s the Bishop’s fixer and she really has it in for Billie and Reverend Penrose. Last appearance: The Silvery Moon.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh good! Brian's on the case!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (May 14-19, 2004)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This font makes things harder to read

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, it's not good. There's a reason Allison reverted it after this arc.

I could probably go through every single one of the strips with this font and put them back to comic sans but I don't know how long that would take and if it would even properly typeset to the size of the speech bubbles.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (May 20-24, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

No good deed goes unpunished, or so I hear.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (May 25-28, 2004)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:stwoon:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (May 31-June 2, 2004)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (May 25-28, 2004)

I always appreciated how he defaults to depicting supernatural beings as goblins.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Koala Pole ad is amazing

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Brut aftershave is the manliest 1970s British smell. Made from purest champagne wine and creosote, it can strip paint off a Kevin Keegan at 50 paces. Only boxer Henry Cooper was strong enough to wear it as cologne.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 3-8, 2004)

Oh hey, this one's in Comic Sans. Didn't notice that last time I went through these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 9-14, 2004)