Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Waititi's comments are funny considering that he is or has been attached to a Star War, a Disneyland ride movie and an Akira remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yeah but that said, when you have someone who has unwavering religious love for a franchise taking the helm, you get boring content, like everything Dave Filoni has made

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is anyone else tired of hearing about Taika all the drat time

like at this point we're just listing 10 movies he's not doing for every one that gets bad reviews

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Unfortunately the Netflix guy who blew the entire budget on cars and gambling was making a TV series so I did not post the story, so we are stuck with Waititi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not even this thread just

BREAKING NERDNEWS DOT COM : Taika will not be making a movie about the Jetsons, Johnny Quest, or Jaws

I once saw a tweet by an angry brooklyn hipster describing him as the "Lin Manuel Miranda of movies" and while they were an angry brooklyn hipster I had to agree

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

you get boring content, like everything Dave Filoni has made

:wtc:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Universe reverence and expansion as the primary underlying interest of art leads to spiritually bankrupt "content", and that's how I perceive Filoni's work on Star Wars. If you like his stuff, that's cool.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://jalopnik.com/netflix-gave-a...lajaq9PhG5LTVpE

Netflix gave the director of 47 Ronin over fifty million while he progressively lost his mind on amphetamines to not make a show. And then wired him another 11 million he invested in crypto.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Universe reverence and expansion as the primary underlying interest of art leads to spiritually bankrupt "content", and that's how I perceive Filoni's work on Star Wars. If you like his stuff, that's cool.

Could you have possibly phrased that response in a more pretentious and patronizing way?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Could you have possibly phrased that response in a more pretentious and patronizing way?
I could have done so easily. It's cool if you can't though :smug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lid posted:

https://jalopnik.com/netflix-gave-a...lajaq9PhG5LTVpE

Netflix gave the director of 47 Ronin over fifty million while he progressively lost his mind on amphetamines to not make a show. And then wired him another 11 million he invested in crypto.
Also we’re cancelling that show you like because it’s too expensive, rates are going up, and no more password sharing. We are very good at business.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The most crazy part to me is just that he was seemingly just handed a big bag of money. I have no idea how this poo poo usually works but I would think there would be a ton of parties with oversight of funds... right??

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

For a guy who didn't understand Thor, he sure made a good Thor movie

half of one anyway.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

The most crazy part to me is just that he was seemingly just handed a big bag of money. I have no idea how this poo poo usually works but I would think there would be a ton of parties with oversight of funds... right??

He walked into that pitch meeting, wrote "DRUGS" on the whiteboard, then turned the S into a $.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wow rich people also have to work jobs they don't like to support their children, who knew

Before he was attached to Thor he had a pretty successful career that a lot of comedy people would kill for, so his definition of poor is probably "not invited to Met Gala".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The MSJ posted:

Most of the audience for Daily Wire movies are probably reaction/commentary YouTube channels.

Meanwhile, Taika said the quiet part out loud.

Didn't he poo poo on the vfx people working on Tho4 in interviews? I want to like the guy but the stuff he says that reaches me these days makes me think he's a massive douche.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Before he was attached to Thor he had a pretty successful career that a lot of comedy people would kill for, so his definition of poor is probably "not invited to Met Gala".

Yeah, Thor was his fifth feature, and Wilderpeople was a pretty big success. He was nominated for an Academy Award in like 2005? And didn't he do a draft of Moana? Pretty big stretch to call himself poor while cashing a Disney check on the way to an MCU movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On the movie crypt podcast joe lynch talked about struggling to pay rent in his tiny apartment with his wife and kid and this guy has been working fairly constantly since 2006. But nothing super high profile box office wise which is why.

If you’re not constantly working on big budget films you’re not really making that much compared to say big working actors.

I can easily buy he was fairly broke. I can’t imagine wilderpeople was a gig job that landed him a giant paycheck

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One of the great realizations I’ve had in my life is that “rich” people are often poor as hell

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

One of the great realizations I’ve had in my life is that rich people always want more money

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wait... Does that mean I'm rich?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Depends

are you rich?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The 3 modern classes: noble billionaire, impoverished Hollywoodite, and the parsimonious consumer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/AdamHerbets/status/1729223696056000612?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Professor Shark posted:

One of the great realizations I’ve had in my life is that “rich” people are often poor as hell
Well they’re typically cash poor if anything

Like Elon, as an example, has most of his net worth tied up in stock. So he can’t really sell much without loving himself over. It’s hard to say how much actual cash he has but it’s probably less than you would think

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder what kind of cut you get if you co-create a movie and then it gets turned into a TV show that runs for a few seasons. Has to be pretty easy money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well they’re typically cash poor if anything

Like Elon, as an example, has most of his net worth tied up in stock. So he can’t really sell much without loving himself over. It’s hard to say how much actual cash he has but it’s probably less than you would think

To build on this, almost all of Elon's net worth is tied up in SpaceX and Tesla stock and he's leveraged to the gills in debt from his buyout of Twitter. That's been a primary concern regarding debt service payments, as the big ones start coming due soon and between him having next to no liquid capital and Twitter / X having substantially negative cash flow, there is doubt about his ability to make those big payments that are due in--I believe--January and April.

He's basically the walking textbook example of "asset-rich, cash-poor."

Trump is in a similar state of affairs, as his "wealth" is directly tied to his real estate holdings, primarily golf courses and hotels. He's a billionaire on paper, but his actual liquidity is severely limited and will be further limited following the resolution of his civil fraud trial in New York. Similarly, Vince McMahon, also technically a billionaire on paper, has almost no liquid assets and his net worth is nearly completely tied to WWE (well, I guess now TKO) stock.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

While I recognize that I still don't completely buy it because Trump could always sell one or some of his lesser used / important properties for a lot of money, and Musk could likely sell some stock without taking a huge hit to pay personal bills. (The billions he leveraged out to buy Twitter are a different story, lol). It reminds me how monarchists used to defend the royalty because you see on paper they are actually dirt poor on a stipend from the state! It is their greed and desire for power that keeps them bound to their assets.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

smackfu posted:

I wonder what kind of cut you get if you co-create a movie and then it gets turned into a TV show that runs for a few seasons. Has to be pretty easy money.

Much less than you would think. Mark Prosch has said he's made more money from his residuals from his stint in the office than all 4 seasons of WWDitS.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

While I recognize that I still don't completely buy it because Trump could always sell one or some of his lesser used / important properties for a lot of money, and Musk could likely sell some stock without taking a huge hit to pay personal bills. (The billions he leveraged out to buy Twitter are a different story, lol). It reminds me how monarchists used to defend the royalty because you see on paper they are actually dirt poor on a stipend from the state! It is their greed and desire for power that keeps them bound to their assets.

Isn't it also a thing that banks bend over backwards to keep guys like Trump and Musk above water, because they have to keep looking like successes so that the investments they're tied up in don't collapse and cause other rich folk to lose money?

The financial world is an oroubouros blowjob

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes that is definitely a consideration

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's about rich people staying rich but specifically the rich people that own the bank.

They keep people like Musk and Trump afloat so that they can quietly sell the debt they've incurred loaning to them. Then it's a CYA scenario since if you sell too much bad debt no one will buy future debt from you.

It's all three card Monte they keep playing until their parachute finishes vesting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Much less than you would think. Mark Prosch has said he's made more money from his residuals from his stint in the office than all 4 seasons of WWDitS.

I didn't know Prosch helped write the movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of darkly funny how "rich people sharing class interests" also works in reverse, in that by maneuvering your interests to overlap that of a wealthy institution, you can make yourself rich almost by fiat.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Shageletic posted:

I didn't know Prosch helped write the movie.

Proksch was on The Office and makes his residuals from that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cacator posted:

I think that was saying that the original comment was about residuals for writers, not actors and Proksch's situation wasn't relevant as he's only an actor.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Whoa, looking at Waititi's filmography, he hasn't done a lot, and most of his credits were in New Zealand, which has low salaries for everybody and a tiny film industry. And high housing prices, of course. If the only gigs he got were occasional scale writing and acting jobs trying to make it in Hollywood, and probably need to 'keep up appearances' both places, yeah, I can see that being scary.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Chairman Capone posted:

Him framing this as "I had to do Thor to support my family" is also kind of funny because he cheated on his (first) wife with his PA during the production of Thor 3, leading to their divorce.

I was gonna say, was that before or after he allegedly talked in professional meetings about how much he loves Rita Ora sucking his dick?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cacator posted:

Lol completely misread the post. Carry on.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that was saying that the original comment was about residuals for writers, not actors and Proksch's situation wasn't relevant as he's only an actor.

Wish I wish this smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1730276631598788848?s=20