Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's wild calling a dude a bust playing on a poo poo team, with a garbage roster. after 2-3 years lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

de curry GOAT posted:

He’ll be a legend in Taiwan

please do not send jordan poole here

i would rather have the pla

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I feel like the ring-around-the-rosie play could have some merit if designed thoughtfully and executed with good players. Sort of like how in sci-fi media they use gravitational wells of planets to slingshot around, you can get some artificially tight turning and maintain speed.

Dexo posted:

It's wild calling a dude a bust playing on a poo poo team, with a garbage roster. after 2-3 years lol.

I said looking more and more like a bust. I think that's fair.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dexo posted:

People in this very forum were calling James Harden a busy halfway through his rookie year. Gotta get the hot take out ASAP, no time to wait around and see what happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

People in this very forum were calling James Harden a busy halfway through his rookie year. Gotta get the hot take out ASAP, no time to wait around and see what happens.

People consistently make the mistake of seeing a player who was supposed to be pretty good(who is putting up decent numbers if you actually look at them) but on a bad poorly designed team, so the outcomes are bad.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I feel like the ring-around-the-rosie play could have some merit if designed thoughtfully and executed with good players. Sort of like how in sci-fi media they use gravitational wells of planets to slingshot around, you can get some artificially tight turning and maintain speed.

I said looking more and more like a bust. I think that's fair.

It's a play him and Steph ran together. Seriously.

https://youtu.be/PeqN4fcVT7A?si=iaYdzt59We3dfZoK

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

Who's the player he did ring around the rosie with

Avdija

neither set of announcers mentioned it at all

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Draymond will perfect this method to sling CP3 headfirst into Jokic's nuts

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think motor cade is literally the worst nickname of all time but he's not a bust

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

People consistently make the mistake of seeing a player who was supposed to be pretty good(who is putting up decent numbers if you actually look at them) but on a bad poorly designed team, so the outcomes are bad.

It's a poorly designed team but a big reason it's poorly designed is because they are expecting Cade to be something he doesn't look up to being. The pistons are going to have to make a small decision this very offseason if they'll lock him up early (they almost certainly shouldn't), and have to make a big decision in about 18 months if they'll keep him or not, it's not at all too early.

I think Cade is a solid guy (which is not a bust), but I think if you expect him to the primary offensive guy your offense is going to stink. He's a good player but I'm pretty sure he's not more than that. I'd maybe feel differently if the Pistons looked better with him playing vs not but...they don't.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s tough to be the main guy, offensive engine, #1 option, etc, if you’re not an above average shooter. Doubly so if you’re surrounded by sub par shooters

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Maestro posted:

It’s tough to be the main guy, offensive engine, #1 option, etc, if you’re not an above average shooter. Doubly so if you’re surrounded by sub par shooters

You need to be a good shooter, or get to the paint at will, or have an easy mismatch in the post that you can also pass out of, or something. You need an offensive element to your game that breaks a defense down and lets those other guys do something. Cade just isn't showing that. He can still be really good, every contending team has an Aaron Gordon/Draymond/Middleton/etc guy who can cover a lot of roles but could never really be The Guy. That's what Cade looks like to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Pistons have no loving shooting.

They did not build a roster to help him.

They are playing Killian Hayes rotation minutes still.

Dude desperately needs shooting around him, for spacing to allow him space to do stuff.

He has none of that.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

The Pistons have no loving shooting.

They did not build a roster to help him.

They are playing Killian Hayes rotation minutes still.

Dude desperately needs shooting around him, for spacing to allow him space to do stuff.

He has none of that.

Danny Leroux saying you need 48 minutes at point guard sticks with me. At a certain point you need a structure for a winning team with modern spacing and passing. You don’t learn anything from playing a deliberately disjointed roster

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Squinky v2.0 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1oFD0XJ.mp4

this possession ends on a Poole travel

He’s one of the best shows in the nba right now

pairing with your other great post

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Ok I’m catching up late to the Wiz - pistons and I’m 3 minutes in and y’all are underselling how absurd this game is

There’s a possession starting at 10:00 in the first where poole is off ball, runs to Avdija in the corner, the two TAKE EACH-OTHER BY THE ARM AND DO A DO-SI-DO in the corner like it’s saturday night square dancing. Never seen anything like it.

Poole breaks (slowly) out of the dance and is met with a three man wall. He casually walks into all three screens like he knows he’s supposed to, but he’s totally out of the play as soon as he sees a guy in front of him.

Somehow the offensive rebound gets tipped out to him at the 3 point line, at which point he travels.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/UsherNBA/status/1729306041802740037

We are witnessing unseriousness at levels that have never been seen before.

i knew it would be a clownball highlight, but i was unprepared for what happens, was literally cackling out loud

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Isentropy posted:

Danny Leroux saying you need 48 minutes at point guard sticks with me. At a certain point you need a structure for a winning team with modern spacing and passing. You don’t learn anything from playing a deliberately disjointed roster

I've watched the Bulls over the Past loving 8 years play basketball with a lovely constructed roster. And not let players grow and successfully find out their game, due to players playing with other players who don't fit, or who are playing the wrong role.

So yeah.

The only time they had people in their right place was the 3 months they had Lonzo, someone who was able to put everyone else in their proper role and position.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

meh, I'm of the opinion if someone really is The Guy/top 10 super star material, then you'd see it by year 3 regardless of roster construction and he'd definitely be dragging his team to something better than getting blown out at home by Very Not Serious Wizards in November.

It's not a bad thing that someone isn't a superstar! Just that the organization probably has way more to think about with this roster and what they need. Just spamming "add shooters and lob threats" to fix the roster might cap you at a lower ceiling than originally thought because he's not looking like a Luka out there. Maybe tell Monty to stop dicking around with Ivey because he may actually be way more important than he's treating him.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 28, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think when we saw Cade with Team USA he definitely looks like a guy who can be a star.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rick posted:

I think when we saw Cade with Team USA he definitely looks like a guy who can be a star.

Yuuup.

Cade is not in the like Lebron, Luka, Giannis, Steph tier, of Drop him on any team and they will probably be able to drag them to the playoffs.

Like that Pistons Roster is so so so loving poorly designed It's a loving warcrime.

The Wizards are a better constructed roster as far as like coherent offensive scheme. But all the players know they are just playing for shits and giggles and they are likely just there to get traded. And Jordan Poole is an affront to basketball.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 28, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cade is effectively only in year 2 when it comes to actually playing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I am continuing to laugh at the Clippers. They were favored by 11.5 at home against the Nuggets (no Murray, Gordon, or Jokic) and Reggie Jackson has the game of his life. The Clippers are actually cursed against the Nuggets.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 28, 2023

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I dare to admit that I think Cade is a good player.

But lol I remember the pre draft rumors of swapping SGA for Cade because he fit the timeline better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I was trying to figure out what you were referring to since Cade wasn't on the World Cup team. You mean the select team? Those were just scrimmages and not exactly a well put together roster. The other standout was.... Jalen Duran, who's also a piston.

I feel like a guy has to show more than summer scrimmages.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah he was select team and if we're going off of players who looked amazing against the main roster...uh....

I think everyone is talking around each other when in general we all agree he's a good player just not Luka/Tatum/Giannis/LeBron tier apex wing player. The term bust may be extremely strong, but I don't think calling a #1 overall FADE FOR CADE pick ending up as a Kris Middleton connector type guy a disappointment is too strong

I guess maybe we are arguing over whether he can be an offensive hub, and there I'll continue to state that I don't think a player who can't shoot, doesn't have a lightning first step, and doesn't have the bully ball game can be one of a good team unless he has an absolutely elite supporting cast.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 28, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is that 21 points fron deandre jordan

Clippers....???

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I guess maybe we are arguing over whether he can be an offensive hub, and there I'll continue to state that I don't think a player who can't shoot, doesn't have a lightning first step, and doesn't have the bully ball game can be one of a good team unless he has an absolutely elite supporting cast

Has there ever been anyone who was a hub without one of those things? There were PGs who didn't have those, like a Derrick Fisher, but they would never be called a hub.

Like yeah the pistons definitely need better shooting, but then I think they'd just be like the jazz, a bad offensive team that shoots threes. They have a big gap in playmaking and unless you starts blossoming asap I don't see Cade filling it so far.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Just checking in to verify that reggie jackson had 35-13 and deandre jordan had 21-13, in the year 2023 against a largely intact clippers squad

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

Just checking in to verify that reggie jackson had 35-13 and deandre jordan had 21-13, in the year 2023 against a largely intact clippers squad

Jackson had that on 15/19

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PupsOfWar posted:

what? so the clippers only have a couple guys who were cut?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Even when I’m watching a random game, “bench player becomes a Hall of Famer for 48 minutes” is one of my favorite kinds of games. For that game only you have to accept that reality is fake and you have to immediately double Reggie Jackson whenever he touches the ball.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kingcobweb posted:

Even when I’m watching a random game, “bench player becomes a Hall of Famer for 48 minutes” is one of my favorite kinds of games. For that game only you have to accept that reality is fake and you have to immediately double Reggie Jackson whenever he touches the ball.

big miami heat fan?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

kingcobweb posted:

Seriously, the Clippers Curse is working miracles this season.

- The first time ever that Kawhi and PG are fully healthy and playing every single game….
- Just when they’ve started to figure things out again with the new lineup…
- They walk into a game against a team missing its top 3 players thinking it will be an easy win…
- And the curse powers up Reggie and Jordan (ex Clippers who just won rings) to utterly demoralize them.

Amazing work. It’s a masterpiece.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 28, 2023

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I am actually stunned how bad Poole has been. I thought he could be, at least, a microwave scorer off the bench for the right team. Right now I’m not sure he’ll be in the league after his contract is up.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jack's Flow posted:

I am actually stunned how bad Poole has been. I thought he could be, at least, a microwave scorer off the bench for the right team. Right now I’m not sure he’ll be in the league after his contract is up.

draymond punched him so hard he has brain damage???

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Not ruling it out anymore. Some of the stuff he has been doing this season is just baffling.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think it's fair to say that Cade is less likely to end up a top-10, MVP, best player on a title team type than the consensus at the draft. Not impossible, but he's slipped from maybe 30% likely to get there to probably less than 10% (by my very scientific best guess).

He's still could be on the way to end up all-star, low end all-nba level. Plenty of players who peaked around there like Middleton or Lowry started their careers slower than Cade has.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I still cannot believe the Warriors got out of the Jordan Poole contract scott free. Its absolutely insane.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The real future mvp on the pistons is still killian hayes. Detroit needs to build around hayes and unlock his potential by pairing him with players who can do the very few things he can’t (shoot from 3, shoot from the midrange, shoot from the paint, score on drives, score on handoffs, score in iso, score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Squinky v2.0 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1oFD0XJ.mp4

this possession ends on a Poole travel

He’s one of the best shows in the nba right now