Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yes, but also, as far as I can tell, it is an incredibly bad idea to break a promise to Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Seven Slaying Petals For Seven Slaying Lords

SHOTGUN! - 6
MAGIC MIRROR! - 8
HUGE STICK! - 2
MASS OF ROOTS! - 0
SWORD AND SMALLER SWORD! - 6
JET MINI-TURBINE! - 3

...LOADING

A few notes: I completely forgot a song for the Three Mile Green I had ready, so I edited that in. Two, the Sunburners are NOT the Backup, and the character has absolutely no qualms about their murder, especially since they directly threaten Counselor Red. Three, the Moloch Buster is here, and in Red's possession, but she still can't open the MC&D-grade case. Meanwhile, all her other death toys are now scattered around like party favors, and the character has grabbed the Eye of the Sun.

Black August fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 29, 2023

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ah, yeah i forgot that the issue was that it was in an MC&D case. Gotta wonder what the poo poo they make them out of if Red couldn't get it open. Still stands if it would have been in the Sunburners' possession had we not glitched the cultpartments quest?

(I almost wanna hope that we kill/eat the soul of the Wanderers' Burner and get to leave Red alive and safe. But i know this is a horror story, that would be too happy an option for our dear Tyrant Child to happen 😔)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

taiyoko posted:

(I almost wanna hope that we kill/eat the soul of the Wanderers' Burner and get to leave Red alive and safe. But i know this is a horror story, that would be too happy an option for our dear Tyrant Child to happen 😔)

IDK that glitch-eating Heaven End Burner would be especially preferable overall, but might be more, uh, palatable for The Character

Sometimes eating a soul is an act of aggression and murder. Sometimes it's swallowing something that's just lying around anyways. If The Locked Tomb's taught me anything, on very rare occasion it's choking down something the former owner stuffs into your mouth whether you like it or not

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I mean, Bleeder is kind of, half alive? Alive in the Holy End? The character sheet says Bleeder is alive.

We have their soul either way. And the thread has generally been at the very least pushing to keep Red and Blue alive. It's not out of the question that we find a way to keep Burner alive in a glitchy way.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Bleeder I think is a special case. One which finishing the job would've been preferable to their current situation.
Burner and Dancer, well.
Had hoped we would've figured out how to get the color of a soul without taking the whole thing; (and I'm fairly certain Heaven-End side knows how) but we haven't gotten much progress on that front.
So... Hope for the best? running awful low on time for alternatives here.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

One other random thought I've had, is that there's times when in victory, we "raise a fist to an empty Heaven".... Is that just meant to mean "clear skies" or is heaven literally empty, even if we somehow complete Smercia's task, what if she tears open heaven and not only is her daughter not there, there's nothing else either?

And is she tasking us with this feat because somehow she is not powerful enough to take on the Lords? If/when we've devoured all 7 souls, could we return to her and be all "gently caress you and your bullshit"?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
IIRC Smiercia tasked the Tyrant Child with collecting the Lords' Souls because she wants the Tyrant Child to suffer, not because she can't collect them herself. That's why we can't just hold ourselves hostage to get her to be less of an rear end in a top hat. She absolutely can and will just loving kill us and do things herself if we refuse to be an obedient child in receiving our punishment.

mystery bug
Oct 9, 2021
We DID kill the sun in another timeline, I assumed 'empty Heaven' was a reference to that
but that might be a little too face value for this story :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You equipped the Eye of the Sun, which has been added to the character sheet.

The Sunburner cult is now Murderous in disposition to you.
The Thundering King picks up the Dragoncrusher, and kicks away Her Love & Her Hate.
The Gasoline God picks up the Jet Sword, and kicks away the Fire Root.
Metal Fire is too wounded to grab anything.
Solar Flare is too exhausted to grab anything.

Red eyes up Thus Spak Demogorgon...

STILL LOADING...

...STILL LOADING

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

What's with all those fire and radiation artifacts being sussy and constantly venting.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Probably something to do with the way the average Sunburner approaches life. This one’s really good for us with our fire immunity, though, and it would have been pretty bad if one of the others had grabbed it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This might be a cool suit?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Suitify the Eye and the rethread it with the Zolty for the ultimate in 'sometimes you explode' experiences!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Carry the Suitifier with us when we meet with Smierca, stuff her into the suitifier!

I'm pretty sure we've been told it doesn't work on characters, just items, but it would be pretty funny if it did. "Onerun ended when final boss was made into a Death Shroud"

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
So can we Red Right Hand the back of the shield to charge it up and then blast it out?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

So can we Red Right Hand the back of the shield to charge it up and then blast it out?

I was thinking that when I first read the description, but doesn't that just result in 5 damage? I guess depending on the area it covers, it may be viable against Doubler if it's unblockable, but we already have Darkness.

A good way to vent any accumulated damage without wasting resources though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Silver Mind posted:

The thing is, the ash storms choking Home's skies was the only thing saving us all.

Miss Bel- Mom. She was slumped against the furniture blockage we had moved in front of Crocell's door, shaking hard from the stressful effort. The windows of the Council Church rattled loudly from the winds striking their panes, scraped raw with hot ash lickings. I pace back and forth as I listen with a detached wonder, my every instinct screaming for me to race back to my room to get my gun, but I knew I'd have to settle for the heavy of my concrete striate-black. It comes to me again with a whisper in the madness; my crown, as glossy-dark as what mars the false sword. I reach up slowly with sweaty fingers to touch upon it, but contact never comes; Crocell begins screaming again from inside of her blocked room. That petite body, slamming against the barricade with horrifying force. That collected voice of ice, turned demon-bright with rage. The same thing said over and over again, with all the rotten awe of an addict pleading to get one last hit of God.

"҉T̢H̢Ę ̷S̛U̴N̸!̀ ͘T̛H̛È ̨S҉U̸N̴.͜.̢.̴ ͟T҉H͢Ȩ ̡S̕U̕N̨.͟ ͝T̷H́E̸ ̸S͢U͢N̵.҉ ̕T̀ḨE̶ ͟S̵U͠N̕.̀ ͏T̸H̕E͟ ҉S̕U̕N͞!̛"

Weeping. Choking on sappy vomit. Water, ice, blood all seeping under the door. Over and over, and I could hear her wooden bones crackling from where her fist smashed into the barricade. Mom keeps her hunch, still struggling to recover from having to act with celestial speed. It just happened so fast. The ash storms, everyone forced to evacuate to shelter, the Doctor raging with her serpentine titan to drag the wounded to her clinic through the choking airs. But the ash wasn't what brought horror. No. It was those brief moments when suddenly the ash would simply dissipate, drop like weighted snow, and the sky was unbearably clear with pure-white. And there, there at zenith, there with tremendous hate, was the Sun. A Sun that your eyes were compelled to tear up to a stare. A Sun that scalded the skin with solar radiances. A Sun that every dryad in Home had suddenly bent knee to with screaming supplication, their leaves growing long wild bright, their eyes clouded with sap, water pouring from mouth and wound as they tore their skin. The Sun. It had to be begged forgiveness. The Sun. Staring with loathing, with the face it wore over a molten desert. The Sun, dryad-slaving, as they all hitched with motions agony, and began to claw at the others, wetting their wood with blood, demanding all follow them to the highest hill of Home to stare with them into the sky until their spilled red brought an end to the solar scream. Every dryad gone mad... except for her. I walk to the south-seeing windows and stare again through the ashen dark. I still see her there. She hadn't joined the rest, no. She wasn't bothered either, left to do what she was doing.

The Traitor. Teal. Standing just outside her little cottage, white silks whipping in the highwinds, goldgrass hair long enough now to kiss the ground. She's done nothing but stand and face to the southwest as she stares directly up to where the Sun hides in the sky, unblinking. Emotionless. Hands clenched.

Her dim calm keeps my eyes, as Crocell's muffled manic chants keeps my ears. I touch the window, wincing from the heat, and feel my thoughts tumble through my disassociation from reality. I know we're not going to die this day, but I know we're all going to be changed again after it ends. I know this is because of those who wander. Because of my Mother, walked to Megalith. But as I stare at Teal, more thoughts intrude, and I let them come to me like a bleak revelation. I see myself walking through the ashen dark, blade slung, intent ready to be done. I daydream my hand tearing open the throat of Galen, throwing him off his guard tower. I daydream my blade cleaving Teal's ruined spine, bursting open its wooden rot as her indescribable hate-beauty is sent to soil. I daydream my fingers digging into Tara's gills, pulling them loose and stringy before I force her to suffocate on them. I daydream kicking open Nefrit's door, and smashing her head over and over and over and OVER with one of her too-many wine bottles. I... I daydream of a bird, a giant, a rat... seeing my will be done, all seven slain to the very last one. The thoughts intrude and I don't know what they mean, only that they give me that evil old warmth. That they feel right and like they'll make the ash and the cruel Sun and every doubt and pain somehow all go away. I flinch when I realize my hand touched the entry door handle. I was going to do it. It was going to feel right as rain, clean as baptism. But I flinched not because of that realization, but because I daydreamed turning around from dancing upon seven corpses to see an 8th face, smiling at me.

I stumble back and sit in a pew, watching as the ash begins to slow, ready to clear again with the coming of almighty radiance.

I daydream a hand gently moving to form a Sign.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

This is just a guess, but, I think the Tyrant Child means it.

Rydia of Mist
Mar 3, 2019

Black August posted:

"҉T̢H̢Ę ̷S̛U̴N̸!̀ ͘T̛H̛È ̨S҉U̸N̴.͜.̢.̴ ͟T҉H͢Ȩ ̡S̕U̕N̨.͟ ͝T̷H́E̸ ̸S͢U͢N̵.҉ ̕T̀ḨE̶ ͟S̵U͠N̕.̀ ͏T̸H̕E͟ ҉S̕U̕N͞!̛"

It's finally time for the Fallen London crossover part of the run. I'm very excited. Is this the Dawn Machine I see before me?
No, it is not - but all the same, I'm extra enjoying this specific segment.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Boss Fight Log posted:

HP: [ -19 / 30 ] [Pain]
FP: [ 7 / 15.▒ ] [Weary]
TYRANNY: TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%] [Disquiet]

I raise ̵̧͏̷͘҉̀͞ ̧̛̀̕͟͞͝͡ ̵̴̧̧̛̀͢͝ ̸̵̵̶̢͘͝͞ ̷̡̡̀̀́͢͡ ͏̵̷̢̢̕͟͝ ̸̸̧͞͞҉̨̨ ̸̢̡̨̧̛͘̕ ҉̸̵̴̧̨̡̛ ̶̶̸̸̡̛̛͟ ̸̶̨̛͠͠͡͡ ̷̶̡́͜͢͞͡ ̴̨̡͏̴̧̧͡ ̴̴̢̡̀̀̀͞ ̷̵̶̧̧́̀͟ ̴͏̴̷̢͘͡͞ ̸̢̀͟͞͞͏͢ ̶̶̶̸̨̡́̕ ̸̡̧́͘͝͠͞ ̵̵̕͢͟͟͞͡ ̷҉̸̶̵̡͜͏ ̵̵̴̢͜͠͞͡ ͟҉̛͘͞҉̡͘ ̸̸̶̴̡̧̕͠prize high, while my tucked-off gun loops my feather necklace, taking it away to my coat. I stand over Red, sworded and shielded as she. The heavy solar relic gleams in the firelight, soaking its redshift photons like a shore drinks the lake. The Gasoline God slams the key-lock switch on her weapon, a tremendous hilt for a nuclear-engine jet turbine. There's a sound that promises to further my increasing deafness as the engine strikes, and then springs forth a sinister-longthin 'blade' of afterburner might. The Thundering King shows her menace as she lifts the massive curved club of grooved dragonbone, proving match of might by dual-wielding it with her crashing rod of iron.

The Metal Fire curls and holds her wounds, slowly grinding burning powders into her bark to cauterize.
The Solar Flare fights her weakness to touch her arm cannon, making the Noon Buster begin a slow supercharge.

The pause. The cause of intent. The moment ready.
Her royal violets dance in the glow of the burning fence, and she comes to me... but not to strike me.
The King suddenly understands with lightning clarity: Red is injured and weakened, but her white belt makes it seem worse than it really is.
Her aim is twice true, bone and iron cracking down, but again I feel something wrench gold in my soul and I watch that damned shield sing.

「The Oilstained Shield」 & 「The Fifth Lord」
[Auto-Block!] [Auto-Block!]
[-2 FP] [-2 FP]

Red's state is revealed.

HP: [ -40 / 50 ] [Near Death]
FP: [ 16 / 99 ] [Near Exhaustion]

The Gasoline God doesn't waste time. It takes immense strength to control the nuclear stream of the Jet Blade, making her its greatest candidate. It's not Red she's going for though. It's all me. I wince as the gravity distorts from the powerstream, my dark psychics distorting. They cry warning; the ash dryad knows the might of her blade of darkness has a chance to wound me through the concrete shielding. The midnight silver reaches out, sensing the sheer Tyranny of the weapons nuclear intent. My resolve doesn't weaken, but it does shake in the wind of revelation as she bears down on me.

I have to pray as I brace for the lick of atoms dancing divine fire. But when I think of that, and then of my suit, I suddenly tense up with horror.
Too late. It arcs like dead red light.

(Gasoline God's ST - Control The Jet) 20 [2]+[6]+[2] = 10 - Success.
(Gasoline God's DX - All-Out Attack) 11(+6)(-5) [3]+[6]+[1] = 10 - Success.
(Jet Sword - Pierce The Shield) 10 [4]+[5]+[4] = 13 - Failure!

[Took 38 damage! 649 DR left.]

Sheer chance of Red's overmighty spell; it catches it. I watch, jetstream severance to my neck, held back by the swirling black. I stare at the ash Matriarch. I know. We should have killed each other when we both had the chance. But now is now. I'm the only driver this time. I'm going to win.
I'm already about to fall down exhausted, but the rotten adrenaline rattling my limbs demands I just keep going and redouble my labors.
I could feed my parasite slave, I could ignite the molten of my blooded gold, but I need to keep that as my final retaliate.
Just kill. One two three.

(!Tyranny - Rapid Strike #1) 18(-6) - [4]+[6]+[3] = 13 - Failure.
[All-Out Attack - Rapid Strike] - [†Blade Majestueux] [-1 FP]

She steps aside out of sheer chance, only realizing I'm trying to kill her when the sword chunks into a near-collapse support beam. I chunk it back out in a clumsy slash.

(!Tyranny - Rapid Strike #2) 18(-6) - [1]+[5]+[2] = 8 - Success.
[All-Out Attack - Rapid Strike] - [†Blade Majestueux] [-1 FP]
[3 Damage!]

Too clumsy! She bruises lightly from the attack, her dense armor eating the stone. I scream and re-aim with hating force.

(!Tyranny - Sudden Splitting Strike) 18 - [1]+[1]+[3] = 5 - Great Success - Critical Hit.
[Quickling Brand] - [†Blade Majestueux] [-1 FP]
[34 Damage!]

(Critical Hit Effect) - [3]+[1]+[3] = 7 (Crippling Wound - Gasoline God is Stunned.)

Gasoline God suffers 37 damage!!
She falls over, going into brief shock.
I hunch and snarl blood with my blade waving over her.
The Thundering King is the only one left standing besides me.
Everything in this part of the fence is on fire, and rapidly nearing collapse.

HP: [ -19 / 30 ] [Pain]
FP: [ 4 / 15.▒ ] [Near Exhaustion]

The Solar Flare is still charging.
The Metal Fire is getting ready for a last stand.
The Gasoline God will be back in assault within seconds.

Red is crouched now, trying to heft something into place behind the shield. The Thundering King is looking at me. She smashes the dragon-slaying club down, and in a pique of revengeance, she decides to fuel something that will deal with me one and for all.

(!Island Thunder Magics) 19 - [3]+[6]+[2] = 11 - Success. - The Thunder King dramatically enhances the power of her next Thunder-Element attack!
Thundercrack」- The lightning rod focuses and directs the power of all Thunder-Element attacks!

She shakes the rod and silence-cries her demand of the sky's voice, pointing it at me with terrible hope. I smell it before it comes down, breaking the air.

I watch gravity warp soft in slow motion.
(Psychic Shield) 11 - [4]+[6]+[4] = 14 - Failure.
I'm too slow to throw a psychic shield to try to divert the energy, exhaustion hampering me.
(Eye of the Sun) 6 - [2]+[1]+[4] = 7 - Failure.
Too slower yet to think to angle the strange shield to deflect it away.
(Zolty Zuit - Frank'd) 10 - [3]+[1]+[6] = 10 - Exact Success.
The megabolt hits me dead on.

...it's reflected back!
The Thundering King would suffer 71 damage, but she's Immune to Thunder-Element.
However, the surrounding architecture is not.
With nowhere to cleanly disperse to, the tremendous lightning blast explodes.
The surrounding structure begins to collapse!
I start to lose my footing, and dive for Red.

(DX - RED!) 11 - [1]+[5]+[6] = 12 - Failure [By 1].

We look at each other.
My hand outstretched.
The floor collapses, and I trip.
Just not quite good enough.
I lose my Counselor, plunging into a world of screaming wood and singing fire.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
drat

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

It's just fall damage. No one dies from fall damage, right?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Do we have a berserk button? Because if we do we're about to slam on it until it shatters I feel.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Ya it's turning into a black hole

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if The Tyrant is what came from us losing control... what comes from The Tyrant losing control?

Will we sing a song of woe that sunk lost Cade... uh.. Caz...

gently caress that sounded poetic until I forgot the name of the place the Singer sunk.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I was skeptical when goons was voting for that weird wine to be turned into a suit, but okay fair enough, it's earned its worth.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[It's still hanging. Something is really wrong. The relic- something happened equipping the relic, and it's happened before. Back at Doubler's west Nest, when equipping the Oilstained Shield. There was some line error message about a relic, a cap. This time? As soon as the fights ends from the environmental destruction, there's a recursive search-load error about a lot of relics. It cycles first through what looks like who is visibly present; the Dragonflower Crown, White Chain, Solar Cell, Power Pack. But then it seems to do Burner too. Oilstained Shield. White Belt. Nuclear Pendant. That's everyone on map.]

[But it doesn't stop with them. Almost too fast to read.]

[Some pair of boots. Another crown. An armguard. Magic shirt. Another Nuclear Pendant. Three kinds of ogre rings. Fire flask. Power cape. Ice crest. Power ring. Flying fans. Motorcycle helmet. Head mask. Then a recursion with another Dragonflower Crown, White Chain, Solar Cell, Power Pack. Then through it goes again. After countless recursions passed with a finger held down, the screen finally cycles through once; a single frame slow motion, refreshing with the floor collapsing, before another long cycle of invalid relic equips begins again. All of it is time to think: the immense DR of Burner's spell can soak up the worst of a collapse-fall, but the Tyrant would make up their own mind; the semi-automatic try to reduce density is never unwanted. The Matriarchs aren't dead, but they're survived for now; what next? Cycling for endless minutes to see another frame advance. Another weird deformity appears. The owners of the odd-named relics suddenly show up for a single of the long frames, clipping through the top layer. A whole host of colorful @ and three familiar O. Then they're gone. Relics still cycle on. The pure gravity vision making it all an acute violet swarm. Whatever time it takes, the bottom will be reached. Then it's a race to the Burnt Beach; the last struggle before Megalith.]

[Burner is still an Ally.]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So the Player is seeing both the Hell End and Heaven End groups, Burner is still alive (at least for the next few frames) and still our friend.

So does this mean the structure just collapsed randomly for the Heaven End crew as well? ...oh... wait... we're actually going to face them at some point at this rate, and we're going to get blamed for a lot of stuff we didn't directly do, aren't we?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hopefully we can talk with them if we do meet em. Don't have any other leads on getting the color of a soul.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

(!Darkness - Density Shift) 20 - [4]+[1]+[4] = 9 - Success.
[-11 HP]
My heart stops.

(HT - Death Check) 15 - [2]+[1]+[4] = 7 - Success.

I smash a fist to my chest and it keeps going, the parasite helping in a panic.

HP: [ -30 / 30 ] [Almost Died]
FP: [ 3 / 15.▒ ] [Exhausted]

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

[Took 102 damage from the fall(s)! 547 DR left.]

I'm tumbling limp as a minskin through the murdering darkness of burning wood and massive collapse. I can't hear, driven deaf by the thunderclap. I can't see her- Red. I poured blood into trying to drag her density down with my own, leaving me to gasp for air while I hurtle ever inwards. I don't know how long passes, but I crawl from the wreckage into a stable part of the fence. I have to get out to the other end before the fire catches up again. I have to find my Counselor. I have to be ready. We're beyond no return. Now is the time of Megalith. I drag myself out of the massive wood mess, and finally birth from the fence, slumping one last long fall to a pile of ash. I wrench myself up to finally behold it: the other furthest end of the dead lands. Behind me, the Mass Fence. To my west, the highest rise of the great mountains. To my east, the ash-choked guard of the smaller mountains which surround the Lorded Land's heart; just northwest, through a small stretch of this dead land, lay the secret vein that flows into the heart.

The sky; pure black and ashen cloud. The ground; firelit dead grass, rotten soil, chemical driftwaste. I stumble wounded and rip at my body with a frenzy of pain, feeling dozens of strange objects tickling over me like phantom wounds. I thrash and catch the air while I limp along, my dark-violet suit crackling with unsettling clicks and spits of radiant airs. I swing my sword with an angry bark, eyes crawling over the gravity of my sight, searching desperate for the finest eddies that might betray Red's walk. No... no but I'm seeing something, yes. I'm seeing ripples and rives in the gravity's dark, dozens of footfalls hurrying over the wastes to the same goal. My sword is slung, my gun undone. Cultists? Maybe even Burner herself?! Every muscle pulled cord-tight! READY TO KILL. I begin to lope drunk with tired over the dead sands, a clumsy wraith of horrible intentions. Even though the winds rip at me with the stench of wet carpet and dead motion, I still garner loud speed, finding the lands beneath me starting to deform into badly scorched sands, rent with weak crunches of glass. Falling here would shred my skin and powder it to death, so I keep my balance while not letting go of my wrath. I know I only há̵̵̢̀͠͠͞v͝҉̛̀̕͢͟͡è̶̴̀̕͜͢͟ ̨̡̛͘͘͢͜͠à̵̶̧̕͠͡͝ ̴̵̶̶́͘͜͞ḿ̸̸̢̨͘͞͠i͢͡͞҉̢̢̛̕l̸̨̨̕͠͏͢͠ę̴̢͢͢͢͞͠ ̷̨͜͏̴̶̢͟t̷̶̷̡̡̢͘͠ơ̡̨͘͘͏͟͟ ̶̛͟͜͠͡͝͠g̵̴͏̸͞҉͏̵ó̷̵̶̧̀͘͜ ҉҉̶̵̨̀͘͡ ̷̷̶̵̨͢͞͡ ̶͟҉̢̨̢̀͡ ̵̧̡̛͘͜͝͞ ̶̶̧̛̕͞͞͝ ̷̴̸̵̧̢̛͞ ̷̵̢̕͢͏̀͝ ̸́͏̵͜͢͡͞ ̷̨̧̛͜͠҉̶ ̧͠҉͠͏̨͟͞ ̶̢̧̡͟͞͏̛ ̶̨̢̀̕̕͝͡ ҉̷̨̀͘͜͞͠ ̧҉̷̛̀͝͠͞ ̸̸̧͜͟͞҉̷ ̴͜͢͠҉̶̛̕ ̷̷̀͘͘͡҉̢ ̶̴̧̧̀̀͢͠ ̶̧͟͜͡͡͝͠ ҉̀҉̵̴̨̀͢ ̸̧̢̨̀͢͜͝ ̶̛̀̀͘͜͡͝ ̡̨̢҉̶̵͝͡ ̴̶̨̢͘͘̕͏ ̡͢͠҉̶̧̡͡b̶̷͞͏̴̡̕͝ę̷̀͟͞͝͏̵f̶̴̷̕͢͝͡͝ǫ̶̶̛͢͝҉̸ŕ͏̷̵̷͢͢҉è̶̡͠͏͟͏͜ ̶̷̡̢̀͟͝͠t̸̸́͏̶̡́̀h͘͢҉̴̢̛̕͘ȩ̷̶̧̀̕͢͠ỳ͡͏͘̕҉̢͞ ͞͞͏̸͜͟͢͢ẃ̶̶̕͜͡͡͝o̶̴̡̢͟͢͜͠uld reach the safety of the pass. Cassandra's heart roared, her ears stinging from the screams of so many fires speaking with waste and vomit. She chances a look back, stomach still burning. Gaziel grabs her and hauls her off as she nearly slumps to paralysis. The troll superhero cradles her as he powers along, sober with grim. Vincent wasn't far behind, saved from the full of his anxiety purely from his cooling magics forcibly slowing his heart. "Cass you gotta stop looking BACK, we need to keep up!" Looking back. Of course she had looked back. They all looked back when they saw the fence collapsing behind them. The Matriarchs had retreated ahead to reach the Megalith, a strange panic confusing them. But the panic was explained, as Burner was first to point back.

At the sheer... pure black nothing following them. Vincent and Cassandra had seen it before. So had the Wanderers. But now they could all see it, feel it, a cold in the pit of the stomach that promised something that had sent Vincent near a panic attack. Something horrible was walking. Something was angry, and it was going to be taken out of them if they got in the way. The Wanderers led brave over the dead dunes with Burner at lead, but even they seemed taken aback by the weight of what approached. Everyone but the Miner. She touched her pendant as she looked back, and didn't feel fear. She wasn't sure what she felt.

A memory intruded from her youth in Anidus. When she walked by a rain-drowned alley and jumped when a feral puppy had come running out of the trash, howling mad and ready to die.

Mechtroid
Feb 14, 2014
Okay, now might not be the best time, but have we thought about using our molten gold to power the life tank? I feel like burner could use some HP as well and who knows what a souped-up version of it will do.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Burner kept her hand prayered, imagining the impossible maths necessary to navigate actively-irradiated lands. It was just for a mile, but it was enough to further her strain after the terrible fight across her own Lands. Ahead was the scalded inlet, choked with waters, magmas, and obsidians, where they'd find passage to her Megalith. By now the Lord had shucked her hood, and finally taken away her mask. When she held Lumes' hand, just enough of her speech returned that she could finally talk again; with this profound heresy, the dryad found strength to guide the small army on. But something was wrong. She was out of sync with herself, gravity lensing her revelations. Anxiety was bleeding into her bones, making her more stressed in keeping calculation and step, while those at the back end began to panic at what they felt. It was going to happen. That's all Burner knew.

When the radiant airs cleared and the beach appeared, everybody clustered about the Wanderers.

I'm jangling with untold bangles and baubles, watching them flicker to nothing when I look right at them. But that unreality isn't what troubles me.
Is this true? Am I deceived? I can swear on the life of my blood. Red is behind me, right? I beg it. The dimmest silver of my mind, the mirrors gone dark; my vision is pure gravity. So I ask it.

(!ESP β - The Silver Mind Gone Dark) 11 - [1]+[3]+[1] = 5 - Great Success.

The Silver Mind posted:

I look blank-eyed at the zenith black star. Yes, of course, Red is just behind. You fell much further ahead through the fence and now she's catching up.

Correct? But I'm seeing this, right? Shadows, shadows, colorful manyfold. Clustering like threatening clouds. Shaped like violence. Four of them are more clear than the others, auras eye-stinging in density. One of them, though. One of... Red is behind me.
Then who is this dryad at the lead of the threat? Robed in bloodstained reds. Wild-eyed and weary with holy. No mask or hood... face distorted but still clearest of all the shades.

The Silver Mind posted:

I'm lost in the gravity of the distant singularity star. I gesture absently- that's a LORD.

Burner?
Is that you?

̨̭ ҉̤ ̵͇
̛͎ ̡̘ ̢̟ ̸҉͉̫ ̵͉͍͡ ҉̣͖́ ̹͇͟͝ ͢͏̹̠
̢͏̙̞ ̛̟̞̜͘͝ ̸̵̱̘̀ͅ ̶̸̨̦̩͓ ̠̟̫͜͜͞ ̸̧͏̩̺͙ ̸̷̷̢̤̺͈͇ ̶̵̛̹͉̦̖͢ ̷̢̡͖̪͔̥͡ ̴̧̪̹̤̠͡͝ ̵̛̯̳̜̙͜͝ ͏̛҉̝̲̟͓͡ ͟҉͔̦̪̜̭͟͝͞ ̵̸̧҉̯͙̼̝͖́ ̶̵̮͉̦̖̜͘͢͠ ̸̵̵̸̬̪̗̥̤͝ ̧̧̛͙̟̪̹͚͢͠ ̷̸̲̼͖̻͍̕͟͠ ҉̷̰̥͍̳̫͙͘͢͞͡ ̵̶̢̧͟҉͍͙͓̦̯̜ ̸̨̺̩͇͎̰̯̀͜͝͡ ̸̺̞̝̩̰̤́̕͘͢͠
̨̢͘̕͝҉̰̠̪̳͇̰ ̴̶̀͠҉͡҉̖̹̹̱̭͔̫ ̴̛̼͎̣̺̭̞̰̕̕͘͜͡ ͝͏̸͝͏̧̥̦̖͓̘̭̟͞ ̧͢͏̷̢̛̗͙̜̺̥̭̖͝ ̶̷̡̠͎̘̮̥̤͈̕͘͟͝ ̶҉̵͡͏̨̨͉̗͉̪̥̙̤ ̡̡̧̀̀́҉͓̤̲̹̺̼̬̹͡
̵̧̡̢̡̰̭̖̺̜͍̣̲͜͠͠ ̶̵̵̶̵̧̝̹̞͚̺̪̭̝͡͡ ̴̸̶̴̡̦͖̫͙̰̣̖̮͘͜͞ ͢͏̶̸͈̣͚̱̲̼̝̻̀́̀̕
SOMETHING IS HERE TO DO HARM.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mechtroid posted:

Okay, now might not be the best time, but have we thought about using our molten gold to power the life tank? I feel like burner could use some HP as well and who knows what a souped-up version of it will do.

The problem is that you need to either sacrifice your own HP (and you're currently at -30 / 30), or use the Bubbleblood spell to fuel the tank. Midnight is soon and Bubbleblood is about to restore its uses, but otherwise you have nothing on hand you know of that could fuel the tank. Though if there's an emergency, the character absolutely can overdraw from themselves for an emergency patch job for Red if it comes down to it. Unfortunately, the character and Red are both nearing their limits with one last major obstacle to still overcome.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Strange places, familiar faces.
We've met or at least heard of all seven persons between Heaven and Hell End, though a bit tired to dig up the info right now.
Santek might recognize the camp shirt, if that's what the BLKSHRT is, but whether that's helpful is another matter.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Incoming Superboss

Who falls first.
Cassandra, Vincent, Gaziel, Jevica. - 8
Keirye, Mica, Santek, Jevica. - 12

They wore...
They didn't realize they were wearing it,
Rienne's biometal boots of speed she snagged off of Napp. - 1
A black-veil crown that has some of the Queen's witch magics. - 0
Bulking arm-guard of plated pyrite. - 1
Shaking molten gem-sphere of nuclear power. - 2
An ogre's Ruby Ring of Might. - 0
An ogre's Citrine Ring of Might. - 0
An ogre's Topaz Ring of Might. - 0
Cass' portable lab for advanced fire alchemy. - 0
Gaziel's indestructible ragged yellow cape of power. - 0
Vincent's proving seal of Knighthood over Ice. - 1
Jevica's keepsake ring. - 0
Keirye's kill fans. - 1
Mica's special magic motorhelmet. - 2

It's funny. The 8th Lord wasn't there yet, when Home was gone to Camp for all that long summer. But the End was Holy, remember? And he was Herald of that. So of course it was there; another shirt just sitting in the cabin during the party, one of the special victory team shirts; but he hadn't existed yet to claim it. He had it now, yes, by sheer chance of being tossed it when needing some padding for armor, but now it was being made to occupy a space across a space across a time. His nulling nature lets go of the doubling shirt, so it stops existing for the 8th Lord, and simply starts existing for you, and neither of you realize it. You're too ready to kill. None of them have completely grasped the form of your attack yet, and all you know you see is terrible wraiths chromatic, and at their lead a shining Lord who could be none other. Who argues with a Tyrant? The shirt fits exactly like it always would. Little crow stepping. - 11

...LOADING

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BLACK. CROWS. GONNA. WIN.

Just got done reading this from the start, and what a ride it's been. Can't wait to start throwing my voice into the cacophony.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OST: HARM
|
Keirye had fallen past fear or regret. Her choice to join the second departure had been half from the divine thrill of the first walk, and half the usual choice to find a graceful excuse to perish. But not like this; not to this. 'Hate' was the only feeling the shadow inspired. All the kill-training in the world wasn't enough to stop the awe; it was the same weight of divinity as when the Wanderers conquered Bleeder's Megalith. But this wasn't benevolence. This was beyond the nuclear of the Land surround. It wanted to hurt.
҉
Keirye was lying exhausted, warmed by the strange floral zenith-chamber of the glass pyramid she had found in her slow scout for Kaigen. She had lost him somewhere around the large springs of the southern reach, and her further chase proved fruitless until she found the abandoned cult structure. The zenith was some kind of heated sleeping chamber, allowing the Assassin rest. But it was disturbed too many times by distant disasters to the west, and deeply uneasy dreams of a shrouded shadow. It left her restless in the plant-choked warmth, wondering what she'd do if she did manage to catch up to the Emperor. With everything else happening, it just felt like another useless asset-chasing waste. If she could sleep right, she could at least check in with the Dream.
|
Mica was angry. She had been a fool to agree to go a second time, too eager to please and show off the use of her 'all'-terrain bike after finding is useless in the swamps. She wasn't ready for the reality of a second walk, or the hate a Land Lorded by the nuclear harbored. But now she was here at the end, and the only thoughts keeping her sane was the wish to go Home to Raine, and the mad prayer that Burner being on their side would be enough to conquer every threat. But this wasn't something under her power, was it? This was otherworldly. Not something you can just kick or run over. She had to think like she used to, when captive in the realms of the Fae.
҉
Mica had bad feelings all her life. But this had been a truly evil sensation, a feeling of sinking certain doom. It had struck her as she languished in her lovely safehome at her dangerous outpost, and it kept her anxious until the Agent of Thunder was smashing open one of the wall pads just to stop thinking on it. Then the phone rang. The fancy little redline that was only for the Big Emergencies. She picked up, and she knew then- some impossibly distant gravity was pulling her to doom. She was now reassigned. The remains of Westhelm would be managed by the Task Forces now. She had to travel to a distant land.
|
Santek didn't understand what he was solving. Daoloth was expressing a significant stream of equations that weren't making immediate sense. How could this be his second meeting with this being? Why was there warnings about the speed of light and the absence of destination? But then he studied the formulas, and the dread really set in: his power to fold space was crippled, trapped under an enormity of gravitational weight. There wasn't time to call warning; the young Dimensionalist turned back around, and it was upon them. He felt inexplicably nostalgic, and hesitated as his place in space bent under the lensing.
҉
Santek did the calming exercise for the fifth time; by standing in the right spot, he could look at the distant Kadath and carefully deduce the formulas of its distance from base to peak, an equation that still had yet to be truly solved. All this was to soothe the irrational panic coming upon him; Daoloth had presented and equation, that when solved, revealed that Santek was to make alliance with Ulthar and to support their Ambassador in the coming night of the Dreamlands. That could be done, yes; but why did the geometry of that answer take the shape of utter destruction?
|
Jevica knew it was a mistake the second she moved. No order given: she had simply advanced with wild abandon at the coming threat. Something about it seemed like catharsis. The whole journey had been miserable, a realization that hellmarching with an army meant you had no time to yourself, which she still wasn't ready for. So the faster this was done, the quicker she could go back to her solitude. That meant bringing violence to everything that openly threatened them; acting on that impulse too quickly sent her to consequence. It was always a fascination to her how it was like a nightmare; once you start doing the wrong thing, you just can't seem to stop.
҉
Jevica wasn't thinking clearly, as always. She was paying attention to the motions of the hulking figure on the highway, plotting how to steal even one drop more of its midnight blood. But her thinking kept being distracted with flickers of rational worry, and the sensation that something horrible was happening somewhere nearby. She understood instinctively; avoid the forests. They're doomed. Stay away. Hole up and wait it out.
|
It was well and fine they thought this, for all the good it would do them as they positioned to run interference against what was coming; up the bend from the scalding beach there was another pincer of mountain enclosure, promising an escape into bright-lit narrows with less than a mile to go. Burner was at the forefront to quick-carve the only routes that wouldn't see them gulped by lava, radiation pools, or Hellfire vents. The Wanderers kept her and the ogres safe, while the superhero trio stuck together to run second interference.

They're not reacting sensibly because they don't know how to define what they're looking at approaching them. Yes, a dim shadow, but if you asked those first four,
Jevica would tell you "Like the monster in the dream that gets you but you never actually see it you just know it is there and it is going to do something that makes you wake up dead."
Santek would settle on "The shape of something dissonant."
Mica would agree "Exponential predator hackles."
Keirye only has this; "It hates."

Jevica was on the approach to the shadow, but Keirye was quicker on the draw. She had to know what was possible. Did it have biology? Was it a ghost-product of the Land? When you undertake extreme surgical dissections in search of betterment with your art, you begin to understand the flow of Mana through mitochondria on a basis intimate enough to provoke spells. So the Assassin used them, dancing her mitochondria on the resound of magic. Even if it was filthy, nuclear, and horror-red, it was still strong Mana to give her a good sensation of the hatred's lifeshapes.

(Keirye - !Subdual Arts - Hear Life) 12 - [6]+[4]+[6] = 16 - Failure.

It wasn't that it didn't work. It's that it didn't want to work; as soon as the echo of life rippled out to find the shape of the shadow, it simply compressed and slammed shut with such force that the Assassin slipped back, falling to a pile of scorching sands. She tried to scream out a warning but her throat had already sealed closed, mitochondria driven to panic in trying to make sense of being told that the lifeform was infinite large, but only occupied a single point of space. Santek was caught in the same trap as Keirye, his brain fighting mad to settle on any kind of proper reaction or internal description of what was bearing down on them. So he let his formulas write, feeling them carve themselves on his head-mask of Daolothian metals. He demanded to know what math the shadow produced, what geometry made its incursion possible. He had to solve for it; what was its mass? Inertia? Tensile strength? Temperature? Anything. Answers.

(Santek - !Dimensionalist - Identify Math) 14 - [6]+[2]+[2] = 10 - Success...

The Godcursed boy dropped to a squat, desperate to slow his heart rate and escape the vertigo. Precious seconds were passing as he struggled to make his body move, nerves shut down. Was that real? Did Daoloth just blank his mind to protect him from the sheer math that would have killed his brain? Santek slumped and got up unsteadily as formulas flashed by with the tearing speed of light. Daoloth melted the cold metal of its perfect numbers, down into the oily trickle of organic sensations to inform the boy, bobbing on the black psychic ocean the shadow exuded. The revelation made him recall an awful memory. Of reading Dreamlands lore from the eras before, and the tale of a dreamer who undertook the Dream Quest, but failed it when tricked by the one who Walks The Parade. They were hurtled towards the Black Throne, unable to escape its infinite and annihilating pull...

Mica didn't have the call of biological magics or dimensional maths; she had practical abilities. But the enormity of the moment drove her to abandon all limiters, which sent her to her Fae powers. A decade agonizing over their very existence, evaporated in these seconds where sudden erasure was certain. The glamour psychosis crept into the neck of her spine, making her mouth contort with a sour taste as she felt none of the awful thrill of its indulgence, entirely afeared and weaponized to escape destruction.

(Mica - !Glamour - Hideaway) 11 - [2]+[3]+[5] = 10 - Success [By 1].

It was so fitting. Her rusty old hiding skills, lapine dreams, just barely able to glamour her and nowhere near enough to glamour anyone else. Cowardly again, wrapped down and simply faded from notice as she leaves a vague imprint of her being where she was. Doing this was just enough to save her; stepping aside in trying to hide sent her to just the right spot, half-slid down a burnt sand dune. She watched Jevica attack.

(Jevica - !Berserker - All-Out Attack) 13(-2) - [6]+[5]+[5] = 16 - Failure.

She saw the chainsaw bend unnatural, as if Jevica was holding a magnet and trying to strike one of opposing polarity.
The mutant sylvan stumbled and lost the saw, leaving her to pull it back by its lanyard while she looked in terror at what it cost her.
What it was about to cost all of them.
The Miner was the only one able to see it. How it seemed to raise a black blade, angled strangely.
Then it spun, gently sweeping that incredible accretion of speeds beyond light.
Too late.

They were beyond the event horizon.

[-̢̡3͘҉0̴̛ ̴͠H̛͘P̧̕] + [M͝͏o̸͠l̕͝t́́e̴͠ǹ͟ ҉͢G̵͝o͠҉l̸҉d̸́ ́͘P̢͜o̷͞ẁ̸e҉̶ŗ̸]
(̢̛D̵͜e̢̕a͢͠t̶͞h̛͞ ̨͠C̢͘h̷͡e͜͞c̴҉k̕͟ ̨̕Í̸I̵͘)́͏ ̶̢1̢͝5̡́ ̨͠-̵͢ ͟͏[̧͡6́́]̧͘+҉͜[͢͡6]̀͢+̀͘[̨͟3]̢͘ ̧͠=͘͏ ͢҉1̀̀5 ̶̸-͏͡ ͜҉E̛͝x̵̕a̛͟c̶̢ţ̸ ̛͡S̕͠u͟͞ç͞ć̢e̢͠s͠͏s͝͞.͏͏
(̡̧C̷͠o̢̨r̛͞r̵͜u̵҉p̴͞t̴͟i̧̧o̵̧n҉̴.̶̸.̧̢.́͞)̀͞ ̡̨2̨̀0͡͝(̷͞-͏͠5͟͞)̛̀ ̧͝-͏̷ ́͘[̛͜1̢͞]̶̡+̴̡[̴̢4̨͝]̡͝+̸͞[̷͘3̶̷]̡́ ̷͝=҉͢ ͝͏8̸̨ ̢̀-̧͝ ͏̛Ş̷u̧͢c̢͟c͢͝e̴̵s҉͏s̸̨.̢͢

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

:rip: Keirye, but drat if the Tyrant Child doesn't look badass in that image. Kind of surprised that we used the molten gold on that dark wave attack, though. Would have thought it would be too risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Using 30 hp on that attack was also too risky, but try telling the Tyrant that. An exact success on not dying...