Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

This in no way is justification for BBC not including the full clip, but she does say the line in a clip few minutes from this, here:
https://fxtwitter.com/Alaqsavoice_Brk/status/1728116500823720372

Also, the green text, which implies "correct" translation, is not literal either. Now, like I said, it doesn't justify the omission of the timetable from the quote, but also when you are nitpicking a translation, it's imperative to be correct yourself. My Arabic is pretty rudimentary, and I have to listen to it many times, but for example I think she says ""they poisoned us for a month"" instead of "imprisoned us".

The correct journalistic take would be to emphasize your quote is out of sync with the person speaking, summarizing a point, instead of making it appear as a direct quotation. I don't quite think it to be purely intentional from BBC since they are well aware Arabic isn't a rare language. Seems like the source here sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

pmchem posted:

in your pic, it looks like the cars were trashed by angry people then set on fire

Cars don't get like that from being "trashed" by angry dudes wtf is this argument lol

e] It doesn't even make sense in the context of the argument because it was confirmed by Haaretz that an Israeli Apache did respond to the attack at the festival and did hit civilians as well as hamas.
There's also eyewitness testimony from other places during the attack that Israeli tanks were shelling houses with hamas fighters and israeli hostages inside them. Israel has shown time and time again that they don't give a gently caress about killing civilians and will just blame it on Hamas.
I'm not saying Israel killed all or even most of the festival victims (honestly I don't really think it even matters except that it keeps getting brought up) but like, I really really don't understand why some of you guys still insist on giving Israel the benefit of the doubt about any of this stuff given how consistently they lie about civilian deaths. They've been doing it for loving decades at this point.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 27, 2023

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Cars don't get like that from being "trashed" by angry dudes wtf is this argument lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPP6VU6zVHU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Someone WT forums leak the standard loadouts for IDF apaches so we can resolve this. Hydra? 30mm HE? Angry Mob? Kung Fu Hamas? Who knows.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm probably wrong, but I doubt there is a standard loadout- it would all depend on the mission at hand, I would assume.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
apropos of nothing, is there some sort of realpolitik reason for Biden to support Israel? it doesnt seem like they'd have much to offer the US strategically. do we want to keep them on goodish terms to outsource spying on the iranians to them? or is it more that he expects AIPAC to do collective punishment of the democrats if a democrat president raises their ire. idk if AIPAC's bullshit would reasonably be a threat to the presidential campaign

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fundraising and institutional inertia mostly.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think that's a pretty narrow view on the realpolitik side of it.

While not exactly friendly, Israel still offers a counterbalance to Syrian government forces, and generally does not harbor the geopolitical opponents of US and EU. It also has provided plenty of testing for weapon systems in combat against its neighbors, and can be trusted to an extent to not sell that poo poo forward. That's just to name a few.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Good news: the ceasefire got extended to continue hostage swaps.
Bad news: I don't expect the ceasefire to last past the point Hamas has hostages they're willing/able to hand back.
Weird news: they got the guy who shot the Palestinians in Vermont. He's... something.

quote:

Libertarians want trans furrys (sic) to be able to protect their cannabis farms with unregistered machine guns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Broken clock, twice a day, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The color coding really makes the image.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bulletsponge13 posted:

Y'all can definitely blame me for this recent debate.

I could explain my thinking/reasoning, but it doesn't really matter. My bad, y'all.

I hardly think you're entirely to blame, also it takes a big man to step back and offer to hug it out.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I hardly think you're entirely to blame, also it takes a big man to step back and offer to hug it out.

Hey, don't say things we can't take back.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

apropos of nothing, is there some sort of realpolitik reason for Biden to support Israel? it doesnt seem like they'd have much to offer the US strategically. do we want to keep them on goodish terms to outsource spying on the iranians to them? or is it more that he expects AIPAC to do collective punishment of the democrats if a democrat president raises their ire. idk if AIPAC's bullshit would reasonably be a threat to the presidential campaign

Israel is an immensely useful democratic ally in the Middle East that has a modern economy that is deeply interwoven with the US economy. Palestine is uh...none of those things

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I really really don't understand why some of you guys still insist on giving Israel the benefit of the doubt about any of this stuff given how consistently they lie about civilian deaths. They've been doing it for loving decades at this point.

Something about not wanting to give in to extremist exaggerations or something, nevermind that every Israeli ministry release is basically true on opposite day and claims the most insane poo poo.

Given the history of loose RoEs throughout history and all the panic and confusion on the day, and the interviews now, and it really is not that extreme to assume that IDF helicopters wound up splattering some percentage of ravers. What percentage? I dunno, but shooting vehicle guns nearby probably wasn't a great idea so the burden of proof is probably on them to prove the exploded cars aren't caused by helicopters.

It wasn't a bad derail, and bulletsponges insight into why it's a possibility was cool.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vahakyla posted:

While not exactly friendly, Israel still offers a counterbalance to Syrian government forces, and generally does not harbor the geopolitical opponents of US and EU. It also has provided plenty of testing for weapon systems in combat against its neighbors, and can be trusted to an extent to not sell that poo poo forward. That's just to name a few.

Israel has historically been an extremely useful go-between as well; if you (or the CIA) want to pass arms support to a third party (Iran, Mujahedeen, probably others) but don't want that meddling Congress to find out, the Mossad will happily skim some cash off the top and make the exchange for you!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vahakyla posted:

Bro they fwd everything they get on us to China.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Bro they fwd everything they get on us to China.

Source?

There are plenty of Israeli citizens back and forth to the U.S., or with family in the U.S. -- not so much with China. With the U.S. a major security guarantor for Israel this would be a significant risk for not much benefit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean, that banner is alright. Trans furries should be able to protect their cannabis farms with registered machine guns imo.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Wrennic_26 posted:

Source?

There are plenty of Israeli citizens back and forth to the U.S., or with family in the U.S. -- not so much with China. With the U.S. a major security guarantor for Israel this would be a significant risk for not much benefit.

You would have to go digging but there was a time there would be story after story of US tech making its way to China soon after first being shared with Israel. Bit of a hidden subsidy to Israeli companies as the US companies that developed the tech were not allowed to sell to China directly.

As to why Israel would do such a thing that could risk its relationship with the US, well they rightfully assessed it as not being much of a risk to their relationship. The US started to crack down on this but in the vein of "do not do this again" not "do not do this and here are punitive actions to prevent this sort of behavior going forward".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys remember that IDF doofus who pointed at the normal calendar with days of the week written on it and said that's a list of terrorist operatives?

Turns out that guy is an Admiral and is the head of their version of the navy seals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Hagari

The fact that the guy who runs their special forces program cant even read arabic to know what the days of the week is, in a place where every enemy he faces speaks the same language with a little farsi, really ought to tell you why the IDF got clowned on.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys remember that IDF doofus who pointed at the normal calendar with days of the week written on it and said that's a list of terrorist operatives?

Turns out that guy is an Admiral and is the head of their version of the navy seals.

The fact that the guy who runs their special forces program cant even read arabic to know what the days of the week is, in a place where every enemy he faces speaks the same language with a little farsi, really ought to tell you why the IDF got clowned on.

I don't remember, have a link? It sounds pretty funny.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wrennic_26 posted:

Source?

Israel is a major perpetrator of espionage against the US, especially industrial espionage. A decade ago, a company I worked for was acquired by an Israeli firm, but the acquisition was blocked by the US government via the CFIUS process over concerns that the Israeli employees would have unrestricted access to sensitive travel data.

Also, they try to honeypot American intelligence officers whenever they can. A former colleague of mine was former FBI, and he worked on some joint case with some Israeli intel types. One of them, a beautiful woman, basically threw herself at him and he recognized it for what it was and politely declined. He reported it to his counterintelligence counterpart, who laughed and said they barely even document each case when that happens.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Count Roland posted:

I don't remember, have a link? It sounds pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/0g1o8aPep-8?si=7rsm52cPxghidU0K

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Israel has a habit of playing both sides of the field so yeah, not exactly the guys you trust without verifying.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

In addition to everything else that's been said, Biden personally just fuckin' loves Israel as a concept. His privilege of this predilection over the reality of Netanyahu's bullshit has reportedly rankled some of his staff and associates:

quote:

Adding to the sensitivity, the unwavering embrace of Israel that many staffers find upsetting stems in large part from Biden’s personal lifelong attachment to the Jewish state, aides said. Biden often cites his 1973 meeting with Prime Minister Golda Meir as a seminal event that crystallized his view of Israel as critical for Jewish survival.

quote:

Some in Biden’s circle worry that he does not distinguish between an idealistic image of the state of Israel and the reality of the Netanyahu government, which includes several representatives from the far right. “The president’s personal historical commitment to Israel was not modulated by the reality that this Israel happens to have a government that is the worst government it’s ever had,” an ally of the administration said. “Biden has underestimated the degree to which you have to separate how Israel reacts to this and how a Netanyahu government reacts to this.”

But the reporting portrays this as ideological inertia more than fanaticism:

quote:

On Oct. 25, [Biden] voiced skepticism about the Gaza death toll provided by the Gaza Health Ministry, which is controlled by Hamas. “I have no notion that the Palestinians are telling the truth about how many people are killed,” he said.

The following day, Biden met with five prominent Muslim Americans, who protested what they saw as his insensitivity to the civilians who were dying. All spoke of people they knew who had been affected by the suffering in Gaza, including a woman who had lost 100 members of her family.

Biden appeared to be affected by their account. “I’m sorry. I’m disappointed in myself,” he told the group, according to two people familiar with the meeting. “I will do better.” The meeting, scheduled for 30 minutes, ended up lasting more than an hour, according to one White House official, and ended with Biden hugging one of the participants.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Israel is also one of the major sources of off-the-shelf individual spyware software. Those are the sort of mass zero-day root exploit packages you generally see employed for espionage against another company or of surveillance on a unionizing workers. For an easy $10k you can just have all of someones DMs copy pasted to you in real time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

raminasi posted:

In addition to everything else that's been said, Biden personally just fuckin' loves Israel as a concept. His privilege of this predilection over the reality of Netanyahu's bullshit has reportedly rankled some of his staff and associates:

But the reporting portrays this as ideological inertia more than fanaticism:

Every day after supper he asks his staff to setup a call with Golda Meir.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Gunship chat that popped into my head from a unpleasant memory- another reason I am of the mind Israel caused a majority of the Festival is that every strike from the gunship would have been Danger Close to civilians, even if the Militants were clearly defined.
DC means troops have a high risk of taking casualties from the fire. The risk is a variable, depending on distance (Danger Close for most support fires is 600 meters; weapon systems, firing platforms, guidance [forward observers, GPS, etc], and geography). The general rule they gave us in OSUT was Danger Close fires have a 50% likelihood of hitting friendlies. That's a drastic over simplification, but considering munitions quality control and varying skill of users, it's a good general rule for the Dogface that is on the pointy end grabbing an enemy belt buckle.

Even if they weren't playing Full Metal Jacket Door Gunner, they weren't discriminate in execution.

Sorry if I brought up something I shouldn't- I'll take a 6er if needed.

E- I can't find it right now, but I will look later for my cheat sheet for supporting fires that lists more details.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/Yonatan_Touval/status/1729222287780368460

Bibi very loudly and obviously bragging about how he loves to stab the US in the back and he'll do it again, and Biden is like "thank you sir I love you."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mrmcd posted:

https://twitter.com/Yonatan_Touval/status/1729222287780368460

Bibi very loudly and obviously bragging about how he loves to stab the US in the back and he'll do it again, and Biden is like "thank you sir I love you."

How ia what he's describing stabbing the US in the back?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

How ia what he's describing stabbing the US in the back?

By stating he has no intention of pursuing a two state solution or any Palestinian state (a nominally American policy goal and requirement) and "managing" the American president to do whatever they want and still get their money and bombs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

He speaks arabic. As do you, from what I understand. I also do understand you don't speak ad-Dārija or Shami. But still, I doubt you would not have encountered what I'll write about.

Some calendars are written left to right in the Levant and North Africa. Not all, I'm not an expert, but the video just isn't as damning about his language skill as some imply. That means that given a RTL calendar, it can still be a natural gesture to point LTR. I don't think you intend malice, but essentially this kind of internet commenting implies that people living in the multicultural pot like Israel are somehow not even fluent in their own native language, and thus point the wrong way? It comes off tonedeaf. In Israel, if your school is Hebrew speaking, you learn Arabic from 7th to 9th grade, and voluntarily until 12th, and you can matriculate in it also. If you go to Arabic school, it's reversed with Hebrew from 7th to 9th grade, voluntary until 12th, etc.

While not everyone becomes fluent in Arabic, as secondary languages don't often stick anywhere, I don't think you'd find anyone who went to school in Israel to believe Arabic is written left to right. (Also the guy speaks Arabic). Government documents also have to be written in Arabic as it is an auxiliary language, and IDF requires basic Arabic lessons in Basic Training. Officers generally take more Arabic lessons, and SOF and INtel units even more. Several IDF units speak Arabic in daily activity.

Knesset allows Arabic as language of discussion, too.

In the calendar in this video:

Numbers are written left to right, while it's sequenced right to left. How would you point this out if you'd walk your finger over it?

He's still just pointing out stupid weekdays, which is stupid, there's no terrorist names on it. Dude speaks arabic, and also, he is a native hebrew speaker, right to left is his native way of writing, even when numbers and sometimes calendars are read from left to right.

In this text, the numbers are 107, 68, and 236.
They are not 701, 86, and 632.

When the numbers get embedded in text, contemporary semitic languages read numbers (sometimes calendars, or sequential information, too) from left to right, and then transit over that block back to reading right to left.

In Hebrew, the question of which layout to use is a common UI design problem. They can lay them out either way.

Left to right Islanic Calendar:

Edit: Just asked my Palestinian arabic teacher on to comment, he said the pointing is natural, but dude's an idiot because he knows what it doesn't say and what does it say (confirmed)

This is also not even counting how immersed Arabic is in daily life beyond government and military life:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 28, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mrmcd posted:

By stating he has no intention of pursuing a two state solution or any Palestinian state (a nominally American policy goal and requirement) and "managing" the American president to do whatever they want and still get their money and bombs.

That just sounds like politics? Successfully achieving your political aims while managing blowback? Also about half of America wants to increase the amount of military aid we give to Israel

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 28, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

That just sounds like politics? Successfully achieving your political aims while managing blowback?

Yes politics often involves backstabbing.

The question is why the US continues to treat Likud and Israel and trustworthy and useful partners when they openly brag about how they will not hold up their end of any bargains.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mrmcd posted:

Yes politics often involves backstabbing.

The question is why the US continues to treat Likud and Israel and trustworthy and useful partners when they openly brag about how they will not hold up their end of any bargains.

Because they provide significant mid-east intel and also sell us information they learn about our peer competitors. The USA has deep pockets and will likely deal with any honest broker that's money motivated, because we have the deepest pockets. Presumably whatever the cost of these interactions are, US intelligence has decided they're worth it.

Also backstabbing generally requires concealing your intentions, which I don't think Bibi and co ever have.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Israel is also one of the major sources of off-the-shelf individual spyware software. Those are the sort of mass zero-day root exploit packages you generally see employed for espionage against another company or of surveillance on a unionizing workers. For an easy $10k you can just have all of someones DMs copy pasted to you in real time.

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/100/

This should be required listening. It's about the NSO Group, an Israeli cyber-espionage firm made up of (former?) Unit 8200 (Israel's SIGINT agency, similar to our NSA) and their selling of exploit tools to authoritarian regimes who use them to spy on human rights activists/journalists/political opposition figures. It's pretty fascinating, if not terrifying/revolting, stuff.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Because they provide significant mid-east intel and also sell us information they learn about our peer competitors. The USA has deep pockets and will likely deal with any honest broker that's money motivated, because we have the deepest pockets. Presumably whatever the cost of these interactions are, US intelligence has decided they're worth it.

Also backstabbing generally requires concealing your intentions, which I don't think Bibi and co ever have.

I'm gonna need you to back this up, especially the intelligence sharing part. Or why the US would even care about most of the intel short of anything on Iran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dance Officer posted:

I'm gonna need you to back this up, especially the intelligence sharing part. Or why the US would even care about most of the intel short of anything on Iran.

If you do a search for "us israel intelligence relationship" you'll find many many sites discussing the intelligence relationship between the US and Israel, including their status as a non-NATO ally. There are also a ton of history books on the region that discuss collaborations between US and Israeli intelligence, particularly during the cold war and during different mideast flare-ups.

It's also suggested by the fact that we provide them huge amounts of military aid and seemingly look the other way when they engage in espionage against the US.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 28, 2023