Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Aster0ids posted:

Any class suggestions for a good WvW that doesnt use circle AOE? Reason is i want at least one couch potato build to use a controller with. So ideally something i can sort of look the direction of the fight and start spamming. Necro is fun but alot of aoes i need to target with and not optimal with a controller. I dont know the classes yet so i cant tell and this is already my last slot (lol)

I'm assuming you're zerging cuz of the necro and spam talk. Can I suggest dagger/dagger support tempest? Their skills are all pbaoe, and the only circle skill you may be asked to use is the utility skill which rezzes.

If you're talking DPS only, I'd suggest either herald or vindicator. Look in a direction and spam is kinda what they do while staying in range, so pretty easy on the controller. Both do have a circle aoe skill on hammer 3, and a circle utility, though. If you're ok with melee, there's always berserker too which only has a couple circle aoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Reoxygenation posted:

I'll second this - great build.

With that said, I inevitably find myself always back to rear end stomping vindicator. Something about doing jumping jacks is very satisfying and I can't fully explain why. Revenant is such a fun class overall though.

Yeah I switch between that and vindicator. I also usually just camp shortbow cause :effort:

Really looking forward to guardian pistol, celestial willbender is going to be a lot of fun with them.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
This "don't get frozen" story achievement is pure rear end. I'd rather make 10 Wayfarer's Henges. Why is Bitterfrost the only map that needs 100% meta-achievement completion?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
get a friend to kill that guy while you idle on the ledge at the entrance out of combat/range. there's some really awful achievements in story instances, but that one at least is completely cheesable :p

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

This "don't get frozen" story achievement is pure rear end. I'd rather make 10 Wayfarer's Henges. Why is Bitterfrost the only map that needs 100% meta-achievement completion?

I ended up going the WvW track for that instead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I remember correctly I went afk for 10 minutes while immortal Braham slowly whittled the boss down.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Reoxygenation posted:

I'll second this - great build.

With that said, I inevitably find myself always back to rear end stomping vindicator. Something about doing jumping jacks is very satisfying and I can't fully explain why. Revenant is such a fun class overall though.

If you don't mind having a separate weapon for open world, slapping a sigil of stamina on a greatsword makes vindi into an unkillable AoE god infinitely stomping around, especially good in Horn of Maguuma events where there's often fairly dense packs of mobs

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

Necro minions and Braham did it while I AFK'd on the ridge IIRC.

If it's still going poorly for you, I'm willing to help.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

If you don't mind having a separate weapon for open world, slapping a sigil of stamina on a greatsword makes vindi into an unkillable AoE god infinitely stomping around, especially good in Horn of Maguuma events where there's often fairly dense packs of mobs

Oh yeah ever since I started playing vindi, I figured that poo poo out quick. Genuinely insane to be stomping all the time. As a bonus, makes it so you one or two shot just about everything in lower level core Tyria too.

Truly some of the most fun I've had in a mmo and it really highlights how fun GW2 can be with its open world builds.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Malpais Legate posted:

Necro minions and Braham did it while I AFK'd on the ridge IIRC.

Yeah, I ended up doing this

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

I ended up going the WvW track for that instead.

Forgot that this is an alternative to get the skins! I'll keep that in mind for other collections.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Truga posted:

get a friend to kill that guy while you idle on the ledge at the entrance out of combat/range. there's some really awful achievements in story instances, but that one at least is completely cheesable :p

I was so happy the moment I learned the term 'cheesing' for stuff. I never knew a word for minor exploits that the devs just decided to keep in.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

nesamdoom posted:

I was so happy the moment I learned the term 'cheesing' for stuff. I never knew a word for minor exploits that the devs just decided to keep in.
Oh yes, "cheese" has a history bring used for all sorts of what are perceived to be for cheap tactics (usually by the community, not the devs). Be it throwing poison clouds for 30 minutes before triggering the final boss in OG Demons Souls, getting "cheap" wins in competitive RTS games with early tower rushes or making WvW roaming a bit more manageable by running Celestial gear.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Luggage posted:

Oh yes, "cheese" has a history bring used for all sorts of what are perceived to be for cheap tactics (usually by the community, not the devs). Be it throwing poison clouds for 30 minutes before triggering the final boss in OG Demons Souls, getting "cheap" wins in competitive RTS games with early tower rushes or making WvW roaming a bit more manageable by running Celestial gear.

Haha, I get to obvious boss fights and spam my ground traps before they switch to red. Not like the story isn't ending with this monologuing rear end in a top hat wanting to fight. I largely also get a laugh because it was some bridge builder that I learned the term from because people would drop an ibeam on a car and fling it to the checkpoint for a win. Never heard it in glitch based speedruns or anything.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Reminder that the new weapon preview livestream is today in ~3 hours

And the beta starts tomorrow!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Odd timing. Why watch that now when I can play with them tomorrow already.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I started getting into Heal Herald, and I just don't know why you'd play Firebrand anymore. At least, I stopped playing mine. But I guess that (hopefully) change a bit with the patch/balance/new weapons.

The Quickness application of Firebrand is bad. You know when a dog has to wear a cone around its neck after going to the vet? That reminds me of the boon application radius for Firebrand, a sad little doggy cone. You have to be positioned just right (standing just behind the team) or it literally will not give allies boons. It sucks.

In contrast, Herald's 600 boon radius (spreading out all over the map) is just wild. And you only have to press like, 1-2 buttons to manage it.

I'd received complaints that my FB quickness uptime was as low as 40-50% (keep in mind that's with over 1k hours played just on that character). Since I don't run ArcDPS, I'll just take their word for it, but in contrast, Herald's Quickness/boon uptime is always 95%+ or more whenever I've asked people running Arc, probably closer to 98%-99% on average. And I'm a newbie Herald, I just learned the class in a couple days.

Once you've mastered the Herald boon rotation, which isn't hard, you can be practically asleep at the wheel and still give your whole sub group 100% Quickness, Protection, Regen, Fury, Swiftness uptime, and that's just scratching the surface.

Anet needs to stop being stingy and just give all their supports a similar boon application to Herald, or something comparable. I don't know if it was a fluke or what happened, but it's easily the best boon class I've played.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 27, 2023

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jedah posted:

I started getting into Heal Herald, and I just don't know why you'd play Firebrand anymore. At least, I stopped playing mine. But I guess that (hopefully) change a bit with the patch/balance/new weapons.

The Quickness application of Firebrand is bad. You know when a dog has to wear a cone around its neck after going to the vet? That reminds me of the boon application radius for Firebrand, a sad little doggy cone. You have to be positioned just right (standing just behind the team) or it literally will not give allies boons. It sucks.

In contrast, Herald's 600 boon radius (spreading out all over the map) is just wild. And you only have to press like, 1-2 buttons to manage it.

I'd received complaints that my FB quickness uptime was as low as 40-50% (keep in mind that's with over 1k hours played just on that character). Since I don't run ArcDPS, I'll just take their word for it, but in contrast, Herald's Quickness/boon uptime is always 95%+ or more whenever I've asked people running Arc, probably closer to 98%-99% on average. And I'm a newbie Herald, I just learned the class in a couple days.

Once you've mastered the Herald boon rotation, which isn't hard, you can be practically asleep at the wheel and still give your whole sub group 100% Quickness, Protection, Regen, Fury, Swiftness uptime, and that's just scratching the surface.

Anet needs to stop being stingy and just give all their supports a similar boon application to Herald, or something comparable. I don't know if it was a fluke or what happened, but it's easily the best boon class I've played.
firebrand boons from mantras also have a pbaoe

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Guardian's "Feel My Wrath" has a 600 radius boon application - that's very similar to Herald - but it's on a 30 second cooldown, and it pulses once for Quick and Fury.

Meanwhile, Herald can literally toggle on its Quickness button and it pump out Quick (plus Regen, Swiftness, Protection, Fury) across the whole map within 600 radius. If you have a disability or you're a low actions per minute player, this is an absolute must-have over playing Firebrand.

The bulk of FB's Quickness is casting Mantra of Potence - this applies Quickness in the sad doggy cone radius. Overwhelming Celerity and Potent Haste have the doggy cone, and also cast Quickness in a pathetic, laughably bad 180 circular radius. That might help if you're stacked very tightly on top of your team, but it's almost useless in a chaotic/non-premade team environment. In GW2, 180 range is tiny, basically melee range.

Just change FB Mantras so it spreads all over the map in a 600 circular radius like Herald. Overwhelming Celerity and Potent Haste should have their boon application radius boosted from 180 to 600.

This is much easier to explain with visuals, see below:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 27, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ele pistol looks like a fun time. It even gets a special 1-skill for when all bullets are up. Also, bleeding in water attunement!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'm sorry but Engi shortbow is so underwhelming. What the hell is this. Maybe if the aoes were like, triple the size, this would be better.

e : immediately followed by guardian which is cool as gently caress. lmao. Also can they stop doing ally target poo poo, it doesn't feel good in GW2

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 27, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Guardian does look sick. Revenant scepter autos also surprisingly so.

Oh wow they really made necro sword 900 range

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Reoxygenation posted:

I'm sorry but Engi shortbow is so underwhelming. What the hell is this. Maybe if the aoes were like, triple the size, this would be better.

e : immediately followed by guardian which is cool as gently caress. lmao. Also can they stop doing ally target poo poo, it doesn't feel good in GW2

Agreed, not a great showing, looks like it isn't fully cooked yet.

Are they lifting the weapon restrictions on Mechanist, so it can use multiple weapons in combat? Just being stuck with the short bow seems kinda meh, you're giving up a lot of other great skills. But if it was swappable between short bow and hammer, that could be cool.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The problem I see is like, what else could engi do, even with a weapon swap? I know they nerfed HAM, but it can already do quick and boons/healing. Why not give it another full dps weapon? Or at least something not as whelming as this.

I do like the idea of skills interacting in the way chain reaction does - an evolution of combos - but like it ain't enough I feel.

Fully ready to bite my tongue when the beta drops and it does 500k dps somehow lmao

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Have they actually needed HAM meaningfully? I admit it's been a while since I tried to heal in actually hard content, but I can still roll my face on the keyboard and keep a group up in all the non CM strikes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've only ever played P/P Engineer so I could give a gently caress about swapping weapons. It might be nice to have the block available I guess.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Have they actually needed HAM meaningfully? I admit it's been a while since I tried to heal in actually hard content, but I can still roll my face on the keyboard and keep a group up in all the non CM strikes

I never played the build, I just know they nerfed it so it wasn't as absurd as it was (I don't feel like digging up the changes), but man would I still have loved to see big damage fields shortbow engineer... it might be good in instanced content, but I'm afraid it will be abysmal in the open world, and I find that tragic. Oh well, at least scrapper and holosmith are already very fun with existing builds for that purpose?? I guess

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Also remember that every other weapon in existence is coming soon. I will trade lame shortbow engi for rocking GS engi

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I wonder if we'll ever get a rework (or at least a look) at older weapons on top of new weapons? Some of the older stuff feels really bad to use, like Warrior GS, after using some of the more recent stuff they put in.

Though I say that but scepter thief doesn't exactly feel the greatest to use either, so what do I know.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still maintain warrior spear is the funnest weapon.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Jedah posted:

QDPS Herald is also top-tier, specifically the condi version IMO. This also plays the same as the incredible open world Herald build I linked a few posts back so the muscle memory carries over:

https://snowcrows.com/builds/revenant/herald/condition-quickness-herald

They put a rotation on there but it's really not necessary. Just slam all your Facets on for Glint and use Consumes on Elements, Strength, and then Facet/Consume Nature. Swap to Mallyx and toggle Embrace the Darkness. Mash weapon skills as energy allows, rinse and repeat. The only "hard" part is getting the muscle memory down to quicly toggle Facets when you swap back to Glint, but once you have it it's piss easy. Perfect, mindless uptime on Quickness and the other Herald boons and top-tier DPS that's almost as good as a non-Quick/Alac DPSer. I find myself easily fighting for top DPS on T4 Fractal groups in pugs while being a buffbot, it's great.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jedah posted:

Guardian's "Feel My Wrath" has a 600 radius boon application - that's very similar to Herald - but it's on a 30 second cooldown, and it pulses once for Quick and Fury.

Meanwhile, Herald can literally toggle on its Quickness button and it pump out Quick (plus Regen, Swiftness, Protection, Fury) across the whole map within 600 radius. If you have a disability or you're a low actions per minute player, this is an absolute must-have over playing Firebrand.

The bulk of FB's Quickness is casting Mantra of Potence - this applies Quickness in the sad doggy cone radius. Overwhelming Celerity and Potent Haste have the doggy cone, and also cast Quickness in a pathetic, laughably bad 180 circular radius. That might help if you're stacked very tightly on top of your team, but it's almost useless in a chaotic/non-premade team environment. In GW2, 180 range is tiny, basically melee range.

Just change FB Mantras so it spreads all over the map in a 600 circular radius like Herald. Overwhelming Celerity and Potent Haste should have their boon application radius boosted from 180 to 600.

This is much easier to explain with visuals, see below:

mantra of potence has an aoe in addition to a cone, both are quite generous and if you can't hit them it's a skill issue.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Saraiguma posted:

mantra of potence has an aoe in addition to a cone, both are quite generous and if you can't hit them it's a skill issue.

A pitiful little 180 circle is not generous. Look at the reference photo I posted, that's basically melee range. 600 range is generous. Again, if you aren't playing with a well organized pre-made team, people do not stack together well. Even if they did, it is way, way more work to upkeep Quickness across a sub group than a Herald. And please don't confuse player skill with one class being objectively superior at their boon role than another, this is Anet we're talking about here, balance is not their strong suit.

QDPS Herald literally has a Quickness switch that pumps it out across the map at 600 radius. There's no comparison between that and Guardian, even people like Teapot have been saying that now, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naXv_feh64o&t=258s

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 28, 2023

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

qherald is great because you can just turn on your one button and get turbo gathering speeds for free.

Back when Rev was brand new Impossible Odds used to work like that until they nerfed it, and 10 years later it's back again. :unsmith:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jedah posted:

A pitiful little 180 circle is not generous. Look at the reference photo I posted, that's basically melee range. 600 range is generous. Again, if you aren't playing with a well organized pre-made team, people do not stack together well. Even if they did, it is way, way more work to upkeep Quickness across a sub group than a Herald. And please don't confuse player skill with one class being objectively superior at their boon role than another, this is Anet we're talking about here, balance is not their strong suit.

QDPS Herald literally has a Quickness switch that pumps it out across the map at 600 radius. There's no comparison between that and Guardian, even people like Teapot have been saying that now, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naXv_feh64o&t=258s

Its a 450 range cone and a 180 radius circle and you don't need to be snowcrows to stack in a group, that being said you should always prioritize playing what you enjoy

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Reoxygenation posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get a rework (or at least a look) at older weapons on top of new weapons?

They do it from time to time. In today's patch they are making revenant shield go from completely useless to essential for example.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

https://imgur.com/gallery/2ncKh60 all the new weapon skills for easy viewing.

don't understand what's up with engineer shortbow. what a bizzarely bad weapon

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

on mesmer rifle 1200 range on everything is pretty good, and it's pretty close to what you get at the farthest edge of a max range chrono well, wonder how useful they'll be as an off-support in some of the oddball strike/raid roles that have to be pretty far from the squad

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

on mesmer rifle 1200 range on everything is pretty good, and it's pretty close to what you get at the farthest edge of a max range chrono well, wonder how useful they'll be as an off-support in some of the oddball strike/raid roles that have to be pretty far from the squad

My 2 cents would be that the phantasmal sharpshooter should be a phantasmal firing line with at least 2 phantasms for the cool factor and the 3 skill shouldn't make you choose between boons and healing.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Mirage ambush skill on rifle looks awesome but sounds fairly worthless, boon-wise, which is a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why do elementalists fire arrows out of their pistols?