Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Al! posted:

starfield isn't trash, it's just one of the most unfinished games i've ever seen being sold as a full game. say what you want about fallout 4's writing pacing etc. at least it appears to be a full, completed game

I don't totally disagree with your point but, I can't shake the feeling that had they realized their vision they would have jammed even more tedious bullshit in instead of building on any of the fun things already in the game

To me at least, their focus on making sure you can't break the economy and the tedious skill tree makes it feel like they don't understand what people even liked about their games in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

it took them like 3 months to put in an "eat" hotkey lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If Microsoft had not bought them, Starfield might have gone into beta in 2026, and Elder Scrolls 6 would have been slated for 2040. At this point with these reviews? Microsoft is telling them it better be done by 2027.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nonsense posted:

If Microsoft had not bought them, Starfield might have gone into beta in 2026, and Elder Scrolls 6 would have been slated for 2040. At this point with these reviews? Microsoft is telling them it better be done by 2027.

when tes6 comes out and is an even bigger disaster than starfield maybe someone can look at why their process doesnt really work anymore

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Mod Organizer now officially works with Starfield so I think things will look very different in a month or two

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

alarumklok posted:

lol the dnc strategy of "if it's bad, then why do I say it's good?" is seeing widespread adoption and critical acclaim

in fallout 4 if you pass the check you can get them to completely give up their beliefs with 1 speech check

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

in fallout 4 if you pass the check you can get them to completely give up their beliefs with 1 speech check

thats pretty much how it works irl too

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

So what's the sell on Save the Princess? Because the presentation makes it look like it's for creeps but goons seem to love it and hmmm

But seriously, can anyone explain the appeal without spoiling it?

It's a really well built vn; the hook is good and the plot is fun. Lots of different little horror bits in it, and it really spiderwebs out from a multitude of choices you can make.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Mod Organizer now officially works with Starfield so I think things will look very different in a month or two

they arent gonna release the creation kit until next year so half of your usual mods dont exist

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Grapplejack posted:

It's a really well built vn; the hook is good and the plot is fun. Lots of different little horror bits in it, and it really spiderwebs out from a multitude of choices you can make.

also it has a strong narration kind of like stanley parable which sells a lot of the above

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

they arent gonna release the creation kit until next year so half of your usual mods dont exist

between this and the Cities Skylines 2 editor being next year it sure seems like there are a lot of devs who don't understand their previous games were hard carried by the modding community

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

So what's the sell on Save the Princess? Because the presentation makes it look like it's for creeps but goons seem to love it and hmmm

But seriously, can anyone explain the appeal without spoiling it?

It's very weird and is taking a lot of risks and pulls off what it's attempting astonishingly well, I personally consider that enough reason to support it. Also the voice acting is VERY good which is good because it'd have to be. May be worth a wait for a sale if you've historically not been a fan of VNs

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's been a good year for western vns

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fine fine. I'll read the princess murder thing

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:henget:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
anyone have trouble with big picture mode in windows 11? it starts to load but then steam immediately closes. can't do it through steam link or just hitting the button in the steam UI

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
idk but I’d rollback to windows 10 just to be safe

the standard computer stuff is always update video drivers n os , sfc /scannow, completely delete app+cache +reinstall, etc. often it doesn’t help so reformat might be in the cards

Xaris has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Nov 28, 2023

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

between this and the Cities Skylines 2 editor being next year it sure seems like there are a lot of devs who don't understand their previous games were hard carried by the modding community

the only reason starfield has any mods at all rn is because the game is just an asset flip of fallout 4

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I won't be playing any VN

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i got pathfinder wotr like a month ago and i've barely played the dang thing because i just can't stop snowrunning. seems fun though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

New teaser dropped
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1729546022483870058?t=Ah7lBH9kkl4vdRCV2bIfMg&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

that reminds me I need to go to the Container Store today.

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

I won't be playing any VN

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Al! posted:

it took them like 3 months to put in an "eat" hotkey lol

I didn’t play BG3 but seeing its patch notes with like 1000 fixes and changes each compared to Starfield patch notes which have been like “… we’re working hard on getting DLSS in” has been just embarrassing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BG3, Nintendo (all of them), and Elden Wrong. The only Games of the Year. It's over, no more submissions.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
stein's gate is a good VN

a bunch of high schoolers invent time travel and get hunted by the ruthless nerds at CERN lmao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I didn’t play BG3 but seeing its patch notes with like 1000 fixes and changes each compared to Starfield patch notes which have been like “… we’re working hard on getting DLSS in” has been just embarrassing

even more embarrasing is that there were working dlss mods on nexus a day after release. hell its an amd sponsored game yet fsr is so dogshit youre better off modding in xess

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stefan Prodan posted:

stein's gate is a good VN

a bunch of high schoolers invent time travel and get hunted by the ruthless nerds at CERN lmao

always high school kids with these guys

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

i swear to god there are more quests in act 1 of bg3 than all of starfield. id still rather play starfield than bg3 because of my own horrible experience with bugs but i recognize im an outlier

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's like fundamentally impossible for starfield to be good when they're using their same clapped out engine, it's a space game and being in space feels annoying and an extra layer of loading screen! I'm glad I got it for free in the AMD bundle because I'd be pissed to have paid money for it (and probably as a result wasted a bunch of time playing but not enjoying it as a sunk cost thing)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

It's like fundamentally impossible for starfield to be good when they're using their same clapped out engine, it's a space game and being in space feels annoying and an extra layer of loading screen!

thats not the part that bugs me. the part that bugs me is that theres basically no content in starfield and the actual mod tools that will let modders add content is still months and months away

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

It's like fundamentally impossible for starfield to be good when they're using their same clapped out engine, it's a space game and being in space feels annoying and an extra layer of loading screen! I'm glad I got it for free in the AMD bundle because I'd be pissed to have paid money for it (and probably as a result wasted a bunch of time playing but not enjoying it as a sunk cost thing)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

like, you probably shouldnt feel like youve seen everything a game about exploration has to show you and have done all the main quests within 40 hours

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i smell an LLM in this brain dead answer

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

idk but I’d rollback to windows 10 just to be safe

the standard computer stuff is always update video drivers n os , sfc /scannow, completely delete app+cache +reinstall, etc. often it doesn’t help so reformat might be in the cards

this is on a pretty new install of windows. i guess rollback is the best option because it's not like im particularly thrilled about windows 11

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
me: *sitting through 4 back to back 3 second load screens*

Bethesda: are you not impressed with these fast load times

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
they knew what they were doing because the questing norm in Starfield is to travel 40 parsecs to exchange 2 lines with an npc who tells you to go right back to the quest giver

if they wanted space to feel like space they should have maybe made Akila feel farther than a takeoff interstitial away

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I wish bethesda had made me wait through 30 seconds of space travel with some fps drops as the planets were generated.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

me: *sitting through 4 back to back 3 second load screens*

Bethesda: are you not impressed with these fast load times

exactly. the load times are fast, but it doesnt matter because each one takes the player out of the game and really brings into focus how the entire experience is just a bunch of procedural instances that have no connection to one another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
playing Everspace 2 after starfield was a nice experience since there’s still a lot of fast travel and lightspeed jumping but it didn’t feel disconnected nor that rote. made some of the nebulas feel more remote

plus the dogfighting was actually quite good compared to sfs hip combat which loving sucks rear end and incredibly boring

would recommend if you liked Freelancer