Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SatansOnion posted:

"sex comedy"? :chloe: is one implied ghost blowie really all it takes to be called that these days?

There's a major plot point between the almost unbearably smitten Venkmann and Dana Barrett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I concede that it's a dumb and arbitrary point, and that replying at all was foolish. much like Drs. Spengler and Stantz, I sometimes miss the subtler nuances of the conversation in my rush to :justpost:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well it's definitely not entirely a sex comedy, but that aspect is there.

Louis being obviously smitten with Dana (but a nice enough guy that he just invites her over anyway with her date). The odd interlude where Louis suddenly becomes a ladies man and dances with the blonde. Spengler and Jeanine's relationship. All of Venkmann's innuendo and come-ons.

Plus Ray gets a blowie from a ghost, yeah.

There's just a lot of free-floating libido and excess in the movie. Slimer is a big old glutton (famously, he's supposed to be Belushi, but nobody these days is going to have any idea about that and is just going to read it as piggish). Being possessed makes you horny. Body fluids abound. It's a very earthy flick. Even Ghostbusters 2 has that. Slime, changing diapers, dirty laundry jokes, ONCE AGAIN being possessed makes Yannish horny.

Plus Ray fucks a toaster, yeah.

Honestly other than being a nostalgia trap, Afterlife sucks because like all modern movies it's got the heart of the professional managerial class. Bloodless, passionless, prudish. No blood or sweat in any of this poo poo anymore.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh boy wait till you figure out the subtle joke behind The Key Master and the Gatekeeper

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

...subtle?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Spengler and Jeanine's relationship. All of Venkmann's innuendo and come-ons.

Plus Ray fucks a toaster, yeah.

To the first point, it's an implied relationship. That's it. If that helps define a sex comedy, then wow, there are way more sex comedies around than I thought.

To the second point, just because I'm nothing if not pedantic, it's implied that Egon (though maybe Ray) did something sexual with the slime, which could be a number of things. The toaster part came after.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Insane that there are people, in this world, who genuinely believe that the Ghostbusters theme song isn’t intentionally about cum.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Let's just say, I love spraying ectoplasm

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I got to the 'end' of Spirits Unleashed last night. It's a short game, campaign-wise, but obviously the story isn't the focus.

Anyway, of all of the songs that they could've licensed and used for the game, including the literal theme song, the crazy bastards at Illfonic ended up using Magic by Mick Smiley at the end.

I loved it. I loved that THAT'S the one licensed track in this incredibly labour-of-love well-realized version of the GB universe. Not Ray Parker JR's song that's allegedly about :gizz:, no no... that one. Edit: apparently the theme song plays once in the first cutscene. :shrug:

:golfclap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNB3CbRjy68

12m45s

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 27, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They don’t use the theme at all? Booooo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

They don’t use the theme at all? Booooo

I believe they do during the intro cutscene, if I remember right.

I’m enjoying the game quite a bit, I’m level 54 or so right now. I’m pretty competent as a ghost (I’m best with Slimer).

I like that Dan Aykroid and Ernie Hudson have quite a bit of dialogue, and neither of them sound like they phoned it in at all - you can tell that they give a poo poo. I also liked the references to the events of Afterlife sprinkled in throughout, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, wow, I don't know how I missed the song at the beginning. It'd be great if it played whenever you started up the game, though.

Edit: ok well, I don't know how or why I forgot about this incredible opening, as I did see it originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZBnMjRnUk

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 27, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, wow, I don't know how I missed the song at the beginning. It'd be great if it played whenever you started up the game, though.

https://youtu.be/laZBnMjRnUk?si=mNjAo59wliUb6JRu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure what universe Ghostbusters isn't a sex comedy but it isn't the one that exists. Like half of Sigorney Weaver's onscreen time involves innuendo to outright sex jokes. The apocalypse is literally heralded by loving! It's not Porky's or whatever but it has an incredible amount of sexualized jokes. Like poo poo, it's been pointed out repeatedly that Peter Venkman would be absolutely horrifying if played by anyone besides Bill Murray because he basically walked right in from a raunchy comedy. That's half the joke with Venkman in that he's someone who would make absolute sense annoying a crusty dean and he's stuck in a horror movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ray Parker Junior's literally singing "hey single ladies, if you're so unhappy in bed that you're imagining sex with a freaky ghosts, you can call me and I'll show up at your apartment and improve your mood. I'm confident that I can outperform your ghost fantasy because I love cumming so much."

And this is not even subtext. As with many movie-related songs of the 1980s, the theme is basically summarizing the plot of the film, where Venkman tries to convince Dana to sleep with him instead of putting Vinz Clortho's key in her gate.

"If you're seeing things running through your head, who you gonna call?"
"Ooh, I hear it likes the girls."
"Don't get caught alone, oh no, when it comes through your door... unless you just want some more."

Why is Ray Parker Junior insinuating that the prospective customer might want to get caught alone with a girl-loving ghost (that also only exists in her mind)? Because, in the movie, Dana is overtaken by a supernatural urge to gently caress Lou Tully.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ray Parker Junior's literally singing "hey single ladies, if you're so unhappy in bed that you're imagining sex with a freaky ghosts, you can call me and I'll show up at your apartment and improve your mood. I'm confident that I can outperform your ghost fantasy because I love cumming so much."

And this is not even subtext. As with many movie-related songs of the 1980s, the theme is basically summarizing the plot of the film, where Venkman tries to convince Dana to sleep with him instead of putting Vinz Clortho's key in her gate.

"If you're seeing things running through your head, who you gonna call?"
"Ooh, I hear it likes the girls."
"Don't get caught alone, oh no, when it comes through your door... unless you just want some more."

Why is Ray Parker Junior insinuating that the prospective customer might want to get caught alone with a girl-loving ghost (that also only exists in her mind)? Because, in the movie, Dana is overtaken by a supernatural urge to gently caress Lou Tully.

please, please, his name is Louis.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

please, please, his name is Louis.

and I was only in that room of his apartment because I was looking for something to get rid of a headache, and I heard he'd run into a deal and had plenty to share :angel:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There's absolutely nothing horny about ghostbusters. A movie where people hold a phallic rod at crotch level that extends when "turned on" and spews a stream of laser cum all over stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

There's absolutely nothing horny about ghostbusters. A movie where people hold a phallic rod at crotch level that extends when "turned on" and spews a stream of laser cum all over stuff.

Don't be silly, how could there be anything phallic about the large rod that, when Peter yells 'make 'em hard', extends a phallic wand outwards.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Next you guys are going to try and tell me that there’s sexual imagery in ‘Alien’ :colbert:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Moving past the yonnic imagery of a glowing trap that sucks up lifeforce and shouldn't be looked at, I confess that it took me years to catch on that Egon was signaling to Venkmann when he's quoting the price for bustin' to the hotel manager. I blame VHS, which cuts him off entirely.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Don't let the streams cross!

...unless,

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ImpAtom posted:

That's half the joke with Venkman in that he's someone who would make absolute sense annoying a crusty dean

Which he literally does in the first act. Because instead of being an ethical, sexless scientist, his "research" is mostly trying to gently caress co-eds.

Schwarzwald posted:

Don't let the streams cross!

...unless,

I mean, that Gozer is a real man-eater. She needs a whole group of guys busting to take care of her. Cross the streams if you have to, it doesn't matter how dangerous. Cover the whole city in hot, white cream. But get the job done.

Ghostbusters is not a sex comedy.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what universe Ghostbusters isn't a sex comedy but it isn't the one that exists. Like half of Sigorney Weaver's onscreen time involves innuendo to outright sex jokes. The apocalypse is literally heralded by loving! It's not Porky's or whatever but it has an incredible amount of sexualized jokes. Like poo poo, it's been pointed out repeatedly that Peter Venkman would be absolutely horrifying if played by anyone besides Bill Murray because he basically walked right in from a raunchy comedy. That's half the joke with Venkman in that he's someone who would make absolute sense annoying a crusty dean and he's stuck in a horror movie.

I also remember Venkman packing some sort of effective something-or-other that he uses to knock out a possessed Dana and that there might be something a little off about a disgraced parapsychologist carrying drugs that, you know, won't work on ghosts but it's Bill Murray in the 80s walking in from a raunchy comedy

Speaking of, 80s movies really liked their disgraced scientists

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's an incredibly minor nitpick about an otherwise solid opening montage to a tie-in videogame but... what paperwork do the contractors/movers put in Janine's file separator on her desk? Their bills? Janine's first task coming back to work as a liaison between the general public and the world's preeminent paranormal investigators and/or exterminators is accounts payable? She's quit better jobs!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inkspot posted:

It's an incredibly minor nitpick about an otherwise solid opening montage to a tie-in videogame but... what paperwork do the contractors/movers put in Janine's file separator on her desk? Their bills? Janine's first task coming back to work as a liaison between the general public and the world's preeminent paranormal investigators and/or exterminators is accounts payable? She's quit better jobs!

If it makes you feel any better, she’s not in the game and doesn’t work for the Ghostbusters.

That said, the game leaves their Accounts Payable situation unadressed (although it’s implied that bazillionaire Winston Zeddemore is bankrolling the entire operation up to and including the insurance premiums).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ElectricSheep posted:

80s Hollywood just loved science in general (Weird Science, Real Genius, Buckaroo Banzai), no doubt influenced by the creature features they grew up with and the world-changing and highly visible evolution of consumer tech that was happening all around them.

"Creature features" are now dead so the perversions of science gone wild (and the hedonistic go-go 80s that bought into it) are a quaint relic. Tech has stagnated into empty promises of AI liberation.

In 20 years this AI fervor is going to lead to some fascinating movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

80s Hollywood just loved science in general (Weird Science, Real Genius, Buckaroo Banzai), no doubt influenced by the creature features they grew up with and the world-changing and highly visible evolution of consumer tech that was happening all around them.

"Creature features" are now dead so the perversions of science gone wild (and the hedonistic go-go 80s that bought into it) are a quaint relic. Tech has stagnated into empty promises of AI liberation.

In 20 years this AI fervor is going to lead to some fascinating movies.

Movies have always had an obsession with rogue scientists pushing the boundaries of knowledge and technology which leads to unexpected consequences (good or ill) all the way back to the silent film era. The unknown but potentially world-changing results of scientific progress have been a constant source of optimism but also fear (diseases cured! Flying cars! Nuclear bombs! Helpful robots! Killer robots!) since pretty much the start of the Industrial Revolution so it's no surprise that movie makers have been constantly milking that cow, it's a super easy source of drama. (It's also arguably pretty closely related to the extremely ancient trope of helpful/evil wizards & witches and various other "keepers of secret knowledge" who aid or threaten the hero.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_scientists_and_engineers]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_inventors

On the 'science gone wild' side there's been a pretty constant throughline of mad scientists all the way back to Dr Frankenstein in 1818, Dr Jekyll in 1886, Dr Moreau in 1896 etc etc. By the 1930s even Mickey Mouse was fighting mad scientists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPW70q4w5pw
There's still been plenty of recent movies featuring either a scientists or an engineer or an inventor who uses their powers for evil: the entire Saw franchise, Tusk, The Human Centipede, Ghostbusters 2016, a bunch of the MCU films, etc etc

A related trope has been The Powers That Be Exploiting Science For Their Own Gains, either wealthy industrialists or businessmen misusing science/inventions for profit, governments or the military or secret organisations misusing it for greater power and control, etc etc. Robocop, Alien/Aliens, Jurassic Park are super obvious examples and you could make an argument that Ivo Shandor in the original Ghostbusters comes super close to this trope as well, and it goes at least as far back as Metropolis (1927).

Fear over AI going rogue (or just "the computer" flipping the kill switch) is also a super old trope: the 90s had The Matrix and Ghost In The Shell and a bunch more, the 80s had, Tron, Superman III, Electric dreams, Terminator and Wargames, the 70s had Zardoz and Logan's Run, the 60s had 2001: A Space Odyssey and the 1950s had The Invisible Boy. Science Fiction authors have been warning about it at least as far back as E. M. Forster's 1909 short story 'The Machine Stops', and I'd argue that robots going rogue was an extremely closely related trope that fits under the umbrella of "a scientist's invention runs amok, oops now we're hosed" which goes back a long long way. Metropolis (1927) is the obvious example but the 1934 German scifi film Master of the World about the dangers of replacing workers with robots is another great example, but concerns over robots in scifi fiction goes back at least as far as William Douglas O'Connor's 1891 story "The Brazen Android". I'd also argue that Frankenstein fed into that trope, as did The Golem, which also feeds into the idea of scientists as modern wizards whose creations sometimes get out of their control.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just based on their names along and not knowing anything else, I'd assume "Jekyll" was the monster and "Hyde" was the regular guy. I've always felt this.

Anyway, Ghostbusters...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ElectricSheep posted:

I also remember Venkman packing some sort of effective something-or-other that he uses to knock out a possessed Dana and that there might be something a little off about a disgraced parapsychologist carrying drugs that, you know, won't work on ghosts but it's Bill Murray in the 80s walking in from a raunchy comedy

The novelization explains that by saying Venkman found it in her apartment, if it's any help, so it was probably in at least some version the screenplay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

The novelization explains that by saying Venkman found it in her apartment, if it's any help, so it was probably in at least some version the screenplay.

I want to google stuff about keeping thorazine in your medicine cabinet, using it regularly, etc etc, but I don't want to show up on a list. Does it make ANY sense that Dana would have that at her place?

Also, I know it's an incredibly low bar given that she was possessed at the time, but as creepy as Peter is, he specifically refused to have sex with the woman who he was very interested in banging. He refused numerous times, actually. :shrug:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I want to google stuff about keeping thorazine in your medicine cabinet, using it regularly, etc etc, but I don't want to show up on a list. Does it make ANY sense that Dana would have that at her place?

Also, I know it's an incredibly low bar given that she was possessed at the time, but as creepy as Peter is, he specifically refused to have sex with the woman who he was very interested in banging. He refused numerous times, actually. :shrug:

It's probably idiotic, but I had it in my head that Venkman had some inkling that he was going to be dealing with a possessee, and that in that state a person can do themselves or others serious harm

also that Venkman refused the overtures of possessed Dana less out of any sense of honor and respect, and more because he figured that shooting his shot with a woman in the thrall of an otherworldly power could end with getting vagina dentata'd clean in half or similar

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Here's where we have to get a little bit infer-y but the book said that she was probably taking it because living at the corner penthouse of Spook Central had an affect on her mental wellbeing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really wonder what people get out of taking ambiguous information about fictional characters in the worst faith possible and turning them into rapists and pedos. Is it entertaining for them to imagine Venkmann as a date rapist? It must be, on some level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wonder what people get out of taking ambiguous information about fictional characters in the worst faith possible and turning them into rapists and pedos. Is it entertaining for them to imagine Venkmann as a date rapist? It must be, on some level.

I mean Venkmann is explicitly a creepy abusive poo poo. That is text. That is how we are introduced to the character, with him trying to hit on a student while inflicting pain on another student in such a way that he's literally ignoring evidence for the theory he is supposedly trying to prove.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe the writers incorrectly assumed as a psychologist he could just go get whatever he needed from a nearby pharmacy and that's what we're supposed to infer?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The alternative is Venkman whalloping Dana with a clown hammer or dropping a bowling ball on her head Fred Flintstone-style, so Thorazine is probably more elegant and efficient from a storytelling perspective.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Venkmann is explicitly a creepy abusive poo poo. That is text. That is how we are introduced to the character, with him trying to hit on a student while inflicting pain on another student in such a way that he's literally ignoring evidence for the theory he is supposedly trying to prove.

I can imagine you watching this scene, tutting loudly and turning to the annoyed person next to you "Can you believe this? This is abuse!"

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

A quick lookup suggests that, in addition to its more well known sedative properties and antipsychotic effects, Thorazine is (or was, given the better options) an oral antinausea medication as well as a treatment for refractory hiccoughs. Lord knows I’ve never seen it used for nausea before and I’ve only seen two refractory hiccough cases in 11 years, but Ghostbusters has now given me another gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oberndorf posted:

A quick lookup suggests that, in addition to its more well known sedative properties and antipsychotic effects, Thorazine is (or was, given the better options) an oral antinausea medication as well as a treatment for refractory hiccoughs. Lord knows I’ve never seen it used for nausea before and I’ve only seen two refractory hiccough cases in 11 years, but Ghostbusters has now given me another gift.

*squints at bottle* Side effects include: talking in a demonic voice! Hold on a minute here!