Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also worth checking if your insurance provider has a version that is cheaper. Ours at State Farm is under $5 per car for six months. Our new car is actually under $1, I guess they must do actual insurance calculations to price it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

VorpalBunny posted:

Every year I rethink my CSR when the renewal comes up and every year I realize how incredibly valuable the travel insurance is and more than covers the $250 out of pocket for the annual fee. We travel with 4 kids, and usually rent a car, and having all the delay/lost luggage/car rental insurance has more than paid for itself over the years. Plus the doordash credits and other bonuses are gravy. It's still a solid card for us, even though the annual fee does sting.

Is the travel insurance on CSR better/different than the ones from Capital One Venture X card?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

It's been 14 days since I called to PC my CFU to a CFF and 7 days since I received the CFF in the mail and activated it. Just applied for a new CFU with the double cash bonus and it went through.

The interesting thing is that when you click through the link that drk provided and then click on "Sign in to apply", it's a single application page that doesn't mention anything about the double cash bonus, nor the standard $200 SUB. There's only one Reddit post about this from October 19, saying nobody at Chase really knows what's happening since it's a newer promo. However, there WAS fine print saying you wouldn't be eligible if you received a SUB in the last 24 months, so I think it'll be okay?

The hiccup is that you don't get the double cash back until after 12 months, so there needs to be some way to check along the way that you're getting the bonus. I guess I can call Chase after a receive and activate the new card to confirm. Hopefully their people know what's going on by then.

If it doesn't work out, all it cost me was a hard pull and missing out on the SUB for a CFF, which I probably wouldn't have applied for anyway. The hard pull shouldn't be an issue since the only card I'm thinking about getting anytime soon is the Citi Custom Cash, but I still need to figure out whether it will be substantially additive to my setup.

I grabbed one of these as well (applied 2 weeks ago, had to call today and move some credit limit around, too many chase cards). Let me know what you find out, I've got a week or more to wait to get the card.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I heard about it around the beginning of this month. It may depend on the rep you get, but there were suddenly a ton of stories of people being told "you have a Custom Cash, you can't product change to a second one."

Confirmed. I called for a product change, the rep told me a Custom Cash would normally be an option, "but I see here you already have one, so you will not be able to choose that."

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That is unfortunate. Getting my second Custom Cash was the next card for me, guess I'll have to settle for P2 getting one and adding myself as an authorized user.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Can I product change my Slate into a Freedom Flex/Unlimited?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

tumblr hype man posted:

Can I product change my Slate into a Freedom Flex/Unlimited?

You basically have to ask the issuer but you won’t get a sign up bonus for a product change.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

saintonan posted:

CSR also has Global Entry/PreCheck reimbursement and lounge access that CSP does not. Always a good idea to work out all the benefits and see what matches your spending profile.

Right. The poster was asking about the possibility of having a card in addition to the Amex Platinum.

If you have the Amex Platinum, you'll get those benefits.

(Also, worth mentioning that Global Entry is only $100 for 5 years, so paying it outright is still far less than the difference between the CSP and CSR annual fees.)

saintonan posted:

The problem with USBank cards is that they don't have any transfer partners, so you're locked into their travel portal for redemptions. Since the major value of UR/MR is transferring directly to airlines (or Hyatt in the case of UR, the only hotel transfer partner I'd recommend), this is a pretty big deficiency.

Right.

If you're looking to just transfer points to partners, the CSP is basically just as good as the CSR, if you don't care about a few extra benefits.

If you're want to redeem as cash towards travel, the USBank card trumps both CSP and CSR.

If you're going to do a mix of both and plan to potentially redeem lots of points, then the math works out for the CSR.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Girbot posted:

That is unfortunate. Getting my second Custom Cash was the next card for me, guess I'll have to settle for P2 getting one and adding myself as an authorized user.

I would still try. The overall impression I got from my call to Citi was "very few of these people know what they're doing," and at one point I had to interrupt a different rep because I thought he was going to cancel all of my cards. So you might get someone who doesn't know better and who'll just do it.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
I was thinking the same thing. I haven't picked up a second Custom Cash yet, but even a year or so ago when I was asking about it, people were advising that you might have to call a few times before you get someone who will let you do it without checking to see if you already had one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

saintonan posted:

Since the major value of UR/MR is transferring directly to airlines (or Hyatt in the case of UR, the only hotel transfer partner I'd recommend), this is a pretty big deficiency.

If and when Hyatt nerfs their program, it will be a sad day.

Is the issue with the other hotel transfers that the programs have so devalued their points that it’s worth less than 1 cent per point?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

smackfu posted:

If and when Hyatt nerfs their program, it will be a sad day.

Is the issue with the other hotel transfers that the programs have so devalued their points that it’s worth less than 1 cent per point?

Far less than 1c/pt, yeah.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Just started playing points games this summer but here’s the thought process I put into what cards to get. I started by defining what I wanted out of points - my partner and I haven’t been able to travel for 5-6 years now but are finally in a place where we can again, so for me it’s business class flights to Europe and free/cheap hotels while over there.

From there I mapped out which airlines fly nonstop to Europe from O’Hare (close-ish airport to us) and then spent like a week deciphering all the point transfer partners and all the cards that offer transferrable points, airline miles, or hotel points. I then mapped out cards I could get that in sequence would get me 2 business class flights to Europe - for example 2 capital one venture cards and 2 chase aeroplan cards (one each for me and my partner) give enough points to book 2 round trip star alliance business class flights. I was able to come up with 5 such sequences (aeroplan, United, American, KLM, Avios) that did not repeat cards. This means I can get 2 business class flights to Europe each year basically indefinitely with some space for hotel points too all while sticking to rules like capital one’s 48 months for ventures or chase’s 24 month rule for cards or 5/24 month approval rules.

Biggest advice I’d give is map out where you wanna go before you start and do the research. I ignore poo poo like cent per point because I know where I wanna go so I know the actual value to me, as opposed to blogs that put certain cards front and center because they give the best commission. Also do your research on card restrictions and don’t fuckin carry a balance or pay interest, but these two points should be easy for bfc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I currently have a plain Chase Freedom, which I've had for several years. If I go for the Freedom Unlimited (2x cashback and no annual fee), does that replace my current Freedom or do I end up with two cards and two balances?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That depends on what "go for" means. If you product change the Freedom into the Unlimited, then the Unlimited will replace your current Freedom.
You could always apply for the Unlimited separately and enjoy the offers on both cards, assuming you're okay with a short-term, minor ding to your credit score resulting from the hard pull.

My Redstone FCU card finally arrived, which means my Costco Visa will swap out for the membership card. Time for Congress to pass their anti-rewards bill now that my stack of 5% rewards is just about complete.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Space Fish posted:

That depends on what "go for" means. If you product change the Freedom into the Unlimited, then the Unlimited will replace your current Freedom.
You could always apply for the Unlimited separately and enjoy the offers on both cards, assuming you're okay with a short-term, minor ding to your credit score resulting from the hard pull.

Thanks!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I currently have a plain Chase Freedom, which I've had for several years. If I go for the Freedom Unlimited (2x cashback and no annual fee), does that replace my current Freedom or do I end up with two cards and two balances?
I have both the Freedom and Unlimited currently, so you can definitely have both. It might be better to sign up for a new card instead of converting, as there's a pretty good signup offer for new Chase cards right now that generally doesn't apply to a card conversion. There would be the temporary credit pull though. The Chase no fee rewards cards are a bit of an odd bunch.

1) Unlimited is 1.5% baseline (not 2% like you mention) to the best of my knowledge. With 3% restaurants and drugstores, and 5% travel
2) plain Freedom (which I don't think they offer new anymore) is 5% rotating categories with 1% everything else
3) Freedom Flex is kind of a hybrid of the above two. 5% rotating categories (same categories as plain Freedom), 3% restaurants and drugstores, 5% travel, 1% everything else.

The current sign up bonus from Chase on either Freedom Flex or Unlimited looks quite good: $200 cashback if you spend $500 in the first 90 days, 5% cashback on gas and groceries for the first year, 15 months zero apr. I'm tempted myself to get a Freedom Flex for the bonus and stop using the other two.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Subvisual Haze posted:

1) Unlimited is 1.5% baseline (not 2% like you mention) to the best of my knowledge. With 3% restaurants and drugstores, and 5% travel

Not 2%, but 2x cash back:

https://www.cnbc.com/select/chase-freedom-unlimited-cashback-match-offer/

"Chase has unveiled a new, special offer for people signing up for the Chase Freedom Unlimited® credit card. For new cardholders, Chase will automatically match all the cash back you earned through the card at the end of your first anniversary year.

There’s no limit on this match, meaning big spenders can expect equally large rewards."

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Oh gotcha, that is a nice offer. I'm guessing it's either that or the $200 bonus+5% gas/grocery for a year offer, not both?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Small complaint. I tried transferring 10,000 points from the Chase portal to Jetblue and when I clicked submit, it didn't do anything. I checked my email and Jetblue account and nothing showed up, so I went back and did the transfer again and this time it went through.

Except it also went through the first time! If I had just waited a couple more minutes, I would've seen the email confirmation. So now I have $100 worth of points locked up with an airline that I've flown once in the last 5 years. :negative:

I'm in DC and don't fly that much on the East Coast--I go to NYC a lot but taking Amtrak is easier. I guess the only silver lining is I got 25% bonus points on the transfer, a promo that Chase and Jetblue and running.

I suppose I'll probably go to Florida at some point, at which time I can use the points. But it's very annoying.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Next Quarter's 5% rotating categories are:

Discover it: Restaurants and Drug Stores. Good categories.
Chase Freedom +/- Flex: Grocery Stores and Fitness/Gyms.

Interestingly I think the Chase Freedom Flex's new sign on bonus of 5% in grocery for the first year combines with the quarterly 5% bonus to give 9% cashback total on groceries in the next quarter. (9% because both bonuses are +4% modifiers to the baseline 1%.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone using the Bilt Mastercard to get points on their rent? I remember I looked into it almost a year ago and the consensus was "it's good but the app is pretty buggy and there's a lot of fraud with the cards."

Is that still the case, or have they cleaned things up?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Can't speak from experience but a well to do friend of mine loves it for her Mortgage... yapped my ear off about it a couple of months ago and had had no issues.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Reading about the U.S. Bank Shopper Rewards card, and it seems kinda nutty. 6% cash back on two retails of my choice (e.g. Amazon and Walmart), seems like it would cover most everything. Is there something I’m missing that doesn’t make this a great card?
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/shopper-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

My partner and I plan on going on international trip (US-based) twice/year, but we don’t want to be locked to a specific airline to be in a rewards program. Is there a good card for travel like this that lets you redeem points with basically any airline? (Most of our trips will be to Japan, just in case that matters)

Valicious fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 23, 2023

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Valicious posted:

Reading about the U.S. Bank Shopper Rewards card, and it seems kinda nutty. 6% cash back on two retails of my choice (e.g. Amazon and Walmart), seems like it would cover most everything. Is there something I’m missing that doesn’t make this a great card?
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/shopper-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

The $95 annual fee after the intro year. Amazon has its own card that's 5% (periodically 6% if you choose slower shipping) for no AF. Walmart has its own card through Capital One that does essentially the same thing.

It might be convenient for the first year, but after that you have to do a *lot* of volume to offset the AF.

quote:

My partner and I plan on going on international trip (US-based) twice/year, but we don’t want to be locked to a specific airline to be in a rewards program. Is there a good card for travel like this that lets you redeem points with basically any airline? (Most of our trips will be to Japan, just in case that matters)

The main players will be Chase and Amex (UR and MR, respectively). Pick whichever one fits the airline alliance you prefer.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 23, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Valicious posted:

A bit of a snarky answer, but: a good set of cash rewards rewards cards? Points-based travel cards are good for accruing sign up bonuses that can be redeemed for travel, but the reward points you get for normal spending aren't necessarily better than just earning cash. I think the exception here might be people who want to use points for upgrades to business or first class and value those upgrades at the cash price.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Valicious posted:

Discover it Miles is a simple, easy choice.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

saintonan posted:

The $95 annual fee after the intro year. Amazon has its own card that's 5% (periodically 6% if you choose slower shipping) for no AF. Walmart has its own card through Capital One that does essentially the same thing.

The Amazon card isn't fully no-fee because it's only 5% if you pay for Amazon Prime. The Affinity Federal Credit Union Visa gives 5% back on Amazon without any fees or other subscriptions.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Discover it Miles is a simple, easy choice.

This seems strictly worse than a 2% cash card because the rewards are just 1.5x "miles", but the "miles" are defined as 1 mile = 1 cent cash value (you cant transfer them to airline partners where they might be worth more than 1cpp). Its basically just a 1.5% cash back card that they are marketing as a travel card.

Discover also has pretty limited acceptance internationally.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Since when is freedom unlimited 2x? I’ve had that card for years and it’s still 1.5% on all purchases.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Next Quarter's 5% rotating categories are:

Discover it: Restaurants and Drug Stores. Good categories.
Chase Freedom +/- Flex: Grocery Stores and Fitness/Gyms.

Interestingly I think the Chase Freedom Flex's new sign on bonus of 5% in grocery for the first year combines with the quarterly 5% bonus to give 9% cashback total on groceries in the next quarter. (9% because both bonuses are +4% modifiers to the baseline 1%.)

I’m pretty sure this is correct as I did this my first year and it was wild getting 9% on every grocery trip.

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Since when is freedom unlimited 2x? I’ve had that card for years and it’s still 1.5% on all purchases.

Freedom Unlimited is running the following promotion: "Chase will automatically match all the cash back you earned at the end of your first year! There is no limit to how much cash back you can earn."

This makes the Unlimited a 3x-10x card for the first year.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Space Fish posted:

Freedom Unlimited is running the following promotion: "Chase will automatically match all the cash back you earned at the end of your first year! There is no limit to how much cash back you can earn."

This makes the Unlimited a 3x-10x card for the first year.

Whoa that is pretty awesome. I don’t suppose if I called and asked they would apply that deal to my unlimited card this year 😬

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Whoa that is pretty awesome. I don’t suppose if I called and asked they would apply that deal to my unlimited card this year 😬

Pretty sure a poster in this thread successfully changed their unlimited to a diff chase card, then applied for a new unlimited card a month later or so and got the bonus

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

drk posted:

Pretty sure a poster in this thread successfully changed their unlimited to a diff chase card, then applied for a new unlimited card a month later or so and got the bonus

That’s pretty slick the only problem is I have the freedom unlimited, freedom flex and sapphire preferred so I don’t even know what I could switch to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drk posted:

Yes I did that. PC my existing Unlimited to Freedom Flex, then applied for new Unlimited after a couple weeks. I think the match promo might only be through the end of the year though, not sure.

I did have to call back a couple times to make sure the promo was on my account.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drhankmccoyphd posted:

That’s pretty slick the only problem is I have the freedom unlimited, freedom flex and sapphire preferred so I don’t even know what I could switch to.

You could see if they'll let you change the unlimited to the original Freedom (not sure if that's possible still).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

drk posted:

This seems strictly worse than a 2% cash card because the rewards are just 1.5x "miles", but the "miles" are defined as 1 mile = 1 cent cash value (you cant transfer them to airline partners where they might be worth more than 1cpp). Its basically just a 1.5% cash back card that they are marketing as a travel card.

Discover also has pretty limited acceptance internationally.

While that's all true, the OP is US-based. If they're only using it domestically to rack up points for travel, it's pretty handy and has no annual fee.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

But if they're gonna do that there are a bunch of 2% cb no AF cards (plus the CFU mentioned earlier) that will work better.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What designs can I choose for the Discoer it card? I really want to get the doggo with the sunglasses card but if I go to the Discover it cash back card page it says "choose from 25".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What designs can I choose for the Discoer it card? I really want to get the doggo with the sunglasses card but if I go to the Discover it cash back card page it says "choose from 25".

There's 163 choices for my Discover IT, including the dog with sunglasses.

I've got a Westie one and it's even reflected in places like Google Pay and Paypal!