Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jack Trades posted:

Erannorth is a very strange game but it's also of of the few actual CCG games rather than a deck builder.
It does a lot of interesting things despite being quite a mess.

It's really neat and one of the few almost perfect solo rpg journaling experiences that I can automate, so to speak? I love to use its (ridiculously indepth) character creator to make my protagonist and then journal about where she's going, what she's doing as I play it out. It's so freeform that it just works perfectly for that.

Also shout out to this LP of it that, while unfinished, did all the heavy lifting of a tutorial. Like, if not for this LP it'd still be an impenetrable mess for me. Sadly it's unfinished, but since the OP is my friend I don't want to bully her about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II: Mmm, I'm loving this! It's got that cool Satellite Reign or Commandos-esque squad tactics where each unit has their own unique powers you need to use synergistically to get through the mission, the missions are fun and introducing a lot of new challenges like even bosses which require you to stay on your toes and dodge telegraphed attacks, and it's got some very light RPG elements with gear and skillpoints for a bit of complementary fun-with-builds flavor, all wrapped together with those sci-fi "for the emperor" vibes. More of this, please!

the expansions are also good

Chaos Rising adds a ton of extra skills for some OP-as-gently caress gimmick builds

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FutureCop posted:

Rabi-Ribi: {snip} Highlight for me was getting stuck in this trap cave with the only way out being this super-hard boss or to reload my save before I went into the cave: I stuck it out, learned all the patterns and finally beat the boss despite being so underleveled for it!

I think I just got to this exact place via a variety of I-can't-tell-if-it's-sequence-breaking, the now-redheaded repeat fight, in Volcanic Cavern?

I'm loving Rabi-Ribi because it's one of the most freeform metroidvania titles I've ever run across. Once you hit Chapter 1 (ie, the town), the game basically gives you two signposts but opens up everything. Last night I took out a boss and an achievement popped telling me "congrats, you did this without an item you don't have that would have made this fairer". Multiple times the game has flagged "congrats, you figured some unlisted skills out, good work!", but only after a few uses when it clearly figured I wasn't just flailing on the game pad. Talking it over with a pal we've completely taken two different routes and he found regions I hadn't run across yet and I had to be informed what the Easter eggs did because he prioritized those instead.

Highly recommend it, this thing is systems on systems on systems on maps on maps on bosses on...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just played the bundle of House of the Dead Remake and Panzer Dragoon, which is good for another hour and a half. A bundle that is over $6 for an hour gameplay of each with extra modes for HOTDR.https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/25959/FE_Remake_Bundle/
Both of them are rail shooters with three difficulties and you can earn continues by being good at the game.

HOTD on the arcade was a guncon shooter like Time Crisis, only without cover. gently caress your cover. Shoot faster or those monsters will hit you in a second if you don't stagger them. It uses a mouse and you can rapid-fire and wear out your hands if you want. Tons of poo poo to break besides the stuff that moves. Never stop shooting, since it follows the old school gameplay of giving you split second decisions to shoot something or the game skips over it. It generally follows a set path through places, but you can find lots of secrets to open up new areas or find health. Just don't shoot the hostages. Has multiple endings as well.

Panzer Dragoon is that Saturn game I never played and the first game I played where you hold the button to auto-lock a bunch of targets and let go to fire many shots. It does let you move around and change camera views like the NES guncon games like Lone Ranger. It is different from HOTD with just enemies to shoot and you constantly go forward. Less brutal and violent. My hands are exhausted.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Anyone had trouble with Big Picture Mode not working with Windows 11? Every time I try starting it through the UI or through steam link it flashes the loading screen for a second then Steam crashes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

TeaJay posted:

I eventually unlocked the shortcut and found my way forward. But I haven't found any trinity keys nor did I find a way to clear the gunk from the bottom (unless you mean the flamethrower hand).

I read same sort of comments saying "You ain't seen nothing yet" and it doesn't exactly fill me with gleeful expectation. The game is alright, but ... almost feels like it's missing _something_ to keep me going, since progress seems tough and tedious.

I had fun most of the time and didn't think the game was tedious or extremely tough (apart from the bosses, of course), so it depends what you enjoy I guess.

e: though I will say it's a game that follows the newer FromSoft design tenets, with all that entails, especially lots of gotchas to catch seasoned players off guard (and completely waste non-fans, probably)

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 28, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

teethgrinder posted:

I'd base my decision on the combat ... if it doesn't do it for you then refund for sure. I wouldn't stress or worry about screwing yourself over or optimizing your party ... the joy of those games is that you can just play them and roll with it. If you like it enough, just try a different build next play.

Yeah, I do like what it seems to be doing for combat, and while I'll probably lose out on refund if I keep going and end up not enjoying it, Larian seems like they're delivering such good quality games that I can just consider it a donation to them, haha. Even if I don't end up finishing it to completion, which is what usually happens, I shouldn't stress about it: these big RPGs are still very fun to play just for Act 1 and in fact typically taper off in quality as they go on, so in a way I get the best experience stopping short!

I wonder if I should consider doing a lone wolf build to help pick up the pace by reducing the amount of management: I hear people say it unbalances the difficulty so wildly and makes you lose out on companion stories, so maybe not.

Hwurmp posted:

the expansions are also good

Chaos Rising adds a ton of extra skills for some OP-as-gently caress gimmick builds

They had a package with all of the expansions and base game for $10: I like what I'm seeing so far so I just bought it! Probably should've just bought it to start with, but eh, I just lose 3 bux being cautious by only going base first (thought it would discount the package further like it does for other games, but not in this case?)

claw game handjob posted:

I think I just got to this exact place via a variety of I-can't-tell-if-it's-sequence-breaking, the now-redheaded repeat fight, in Volcanic Cavern?

I'm not sure, but I think mine was a bit different, it was going into this cave where you meet Cocoa who is looking for treasure. I went deeper, past all the crazy bomb-throwing cats, and eventually found a power-up that lets you double-charge shots for Ribbon. When you try to go back to the entrance of the cave and leave, though, you end up fighting Cocoa who was pretty drat hard for me with practically no upgrades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAavoKW8-7w (the video is for BEX whereas I was just on hard but y'know) Like you say, though, game definitely seems ripe for sequence-breaking and all sorts of stuff like that, and I imagine TEVI will too, which is what I'm playing Rabi-Ribi for to familiarize myself with the dev's work.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 28, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

claw game handjob posted:

I'm loving Rabi-Ribi because it's one of the most freeform metroidvania titles I've ever run across. Once you hit Chapter 1 (ie, the town), the game basically gives you two signposts but opens up everything. Last night I took out a boss and an achievement popped telling me "congrats, you did this without an item you don't have that would have made this fairer". Multiple times the game has flagged "congrats, you figured some unlisted skills out, good work!", but only after a few uses when it clearly figured I wasn't just flailing on the game pad. Talking it over with a pal we've completely taken two different routes and he found regions I hadn't run across yet and I had to be informed what the Easter eggs did because he prioritized those instead.

Highly recommend it, this thing is systems on systems on systems on maps on maps on bosses on...

Yeah, the dev put a ton of effort into it post-release, and there were quite a few cases where someone found a sequence break or did some weird challenge run, and instead of patching it out, they added an achievement for it :v:

Their new game, Tevi will be out this week, and it has a demo you can play already (though progress won't carry over because the demo is a special build that moved items/unlocks around)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

one last grab o games: banner of the maid, corn kidz 64 (by the developer of Lyle in Cube Sector, 2000s indie-heads!), homebody and mythic ocean

total amount spent was $120 for 22 games, 8 from this year

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Divinity Original Sin 2 is too full of weird and clunky decisions for me to enjoy. The abrupt item level scaling and level-gated areas with no signposting, the vestigial crafting and source magic systems, and worst of all, the absolute self-sabotage that is having such a good environmental effect system only for 90% of fights to devolve into flaming demonic blood all day every day. People seemed to love the absolute poo poo out of OS 2 and considering it's the same dev it's one of the main reasons I haven't bothered with Baldur's Gate 3 (the other two being that 5e is a pretty bland system and all the criticisms about the lackluster third act)

FuzzySlippers posted:

did I gently caress up some setting that anymore every single time I buy something on steam I have to get a two factor verify code through my email? This is from desktop pcs that are never on other networks or anything.

It's like this for me every time, but only if I buy from the browser instead of the client

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 28, 2023

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2: I'm gonna get some flak for saying this, but...I think I might refund. No, I'm not saying its a bad game, certainly not: it seems incredibly impressive and I was enjoying the story interactions and so on. But it just seems like such a huge, slow and overwhelming game: so many choices for builds that I don't know whether I'm screwing myself over by not optimizing my party for magical or physical, so many items and clutter in the environment that I don't know what I should keep and what is worthless, combat is such a chore waiting for everything to take their bloody turn and so many fights just being all the same, and so many quests and choices and what should I do for the best experience reward and blah blah blah. I think I'm just slowly accepting that I'm a big casual baby who prefers a more lite RPG experience like we saw in previous games mentioned, and I don't have time for these big 100-hour-plus ones. Doesn't help either that I already have Baldur's Gate 3 (though I'll admit that I do enjoy the removal of DnD concepts here like limited spell slots and low accuracy, so if I actually had an option, I'd probably trade them for one another, but that window has passed).

Yeah, this echoes my experiences. I don't mind huge and detailed game worlds, but in my case DOS2 didn't get the mixture of ingredients right. It often felt aimless, bloated and confusing, despite the quality of hard work that obviously went into everything. Some stuff was just bad, though. Inventory management and dealing with quest related items was an absolute nightmare. The vague quest log was practically useless after a long break.

Still, it's a great game and I'm sure to be in the minority, but I lost track of how many times I would start up the game, load up a save, then shut it down again five minutes later. I bought the game shortly after launch in 2017. I finished my first playthrough two days a go.

Even if my current computer was able to run Baldur's Gate 3, I would've avoided the purchase. It looks too much alike.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
For what it's worth, I bounced hard off DOS 2, but I'm in the middle of two runs now (one solo played right and one with friends played with max stupidity) with BG3. BG does have some clunkiness, but it's also the funnest RPG I've played in a long time. The characterization is fantastic, and the reactivity in the story is absolutely bonkers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

For what it's worth, I bounced hard off DOS 2, but I'm in the middle of two runs now (one solo played right and one with friends played with max stupidity) with BG3. BG does have some clunkiness, but it's also the funnest RPG I've played in a long time. The characterization is fantastic, and the reactivity in the story is absolutely bonkers.

This largely mirrors my thoughts on Divinity Original Sin 2. I finished the first act before dropping it part way through act 2. The RPG systems, characters, and story left a lot to be desired imo and I was very very worried when I heard Larian was making BG3.

Luckily they put a lot of focus on the characters and story and the rails provided by DnD 5th edition really helped Larian design my favorite game of the last few years.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it really depends on what exactly you found unappealing about D:OS 2. If it's the fact that you had to basically hit the vendors to buy new equipment every single time you leveled up (which I also found annoying), there's no similar loot treadmill in BG3, which exclusively has hand-placed, often unique loot. In fact, some of the items I found during Act 1 lasted me throughout my entire playthrough. If it's the difficulty, BG3 really isn't that challenging on Balanced. It's not going to kick your rear end the way D:OS 2 does if you deviate even slightly from the intended path.

On the other hand, in terms of the interface, general game feel, and its design philosophy, you can definitely tell that BG3 is a Larian game. But I personally don't think the latter at least is a bad thing, as they're some of the best in the business when it comes to encounter design.

e: unlike some, I disagree that BG3 drops off in Act 3, which was my favorite part of the game. It goes really hard there, and a lot of game-spanning quest chains come to a satisfying conclusion. The main issue with Act 3 is that a lot of people start experiencing performance issues when they reach it, but apparently that's mostly because they hosed something up with Patch 4, and it should be getting fixed in the next patch, set to release later this week.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saying that BG3 drops off at Act 3 is absolutely wild to me.
Act 3 is where the game begins and everything else is just a prelude for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BG3 rules, especially Act 3. Some of the wildest and most memorable moments from the game.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I haven't played it yet, but I'm gonna say act 3 stinks!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
If Act 3 is so good, why isn't it first? :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It took them 3 acts just to get it right? curious.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I liked Act 1 and 2 in BG3 enough to play through them 3 times each but act 3 is like a brick wall where I completely stop enjoying the game. That's not to say it's bad, but as someone who's much more interested in adventuring around, finding dungeons and treasure, and combat, that stuff takes a major proportional backseat to dialog in Act 3. I don't generally like the dense urban parts of any RPG and Act 3 in BG3 is that distilled into its pure essence. Literally dozens to hundreds of NPCs on-screen at any given time, very little indication of which ones have anything meaningful or important to say (e.g. giving quests), very little ability to just strike off into the wilderness and stumble across combat encounters, etc. That stuff is still there, but there's much less of it and waaaaaaay more talking to NPCs in Act 3 which for me is like a thing I put up with to get back to the parts I have fun with. I think for a lot of players they put up with the gameplay stuff to get back to the dialog so they'd probably love Act 3.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's really neat and one of the few almost perfect solo rpg journaling experiences that I can automate, so to speak? I love to use its (ridiculously indepth) character creator to make my protagonist and then journal about where she's going, what she's doing as I play it out. It's so freeform that it just works perfectly for that.

Also shout out to this LP of it that, while unfinished, did all the heavy lifting of a tutorial. Like, if not for this LP it'd still be an impenetrable mess for me. Sadly it's unfinished, but since the OP is my friend I don't want to bully her about it.

That's what I do toooo! My most recent character is Judy Hopps from Zootopia. She kicks.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah the best fight in the entire game is in act 3 (house of hope). Though I think all the acts are great. BG3 is probably my game of the decade.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm stuck trying to sneak around the Steel Foundry and I totally lost all desire to play. Also I recently changed the class of a party member but I have no good gear for him, adding to the death of my desire :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I remember more, and think more fondly of BG3 compared to other RPGs that released this year like Starfield.

And I've played Starfield much more recently than BG3, so it's not even a component of "I played BG3 last so of course I remember more of it"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Macichne Leainig posted:

I remember more, and think more fondly of BG3 compared to other RPGs that released this year like Starfield.

And I've played Starfield much more recently than BG3, so it's not even a component of "I played BG3 last so of course I remember more of it"

Well...duh?
One of these is the highest quality RPG in decades and the other is the exact same game from decades ago with a new skin.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Starfield is a bland bad game so it's not surprising. Glad I game passed it cause dang I'd feel burned spending like 90 bucks on it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Macichne Leainig posted:

Oof, ow, ouchie

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phlegmish posted:

Oof, ow, ouchie

That's almost as bad as Fallout 4 is right now except Fallout 4 is eight years old. loving Skyrim has more players right now

Lol and even lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/bethesda-are-individually-rebutting-starfield-steam-reviewers-defending-the-loading-breaks-and-empty-worlds

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't think starfield has the creation kit out yet right? Arent those current skyrim players just messing around with mods?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is that 40k rpg actually coming out this year? I noticed you couldn't preorder it which seemed surprising if we're weeks from release.

If it does release this will be a crazy year. Maybe the best year of releases that I can think of.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Oof, ow, ouchie

I'm sure the peak concurrent was really much higher, it was on Game pass day 1.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Game Pass :argh: keeps ruining our ability to properly make fun of Starfield

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think comparing Starfield to video games is fair.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, write me down as one of those that got to act 3 in BG3, and never felt the urge to pick it back up

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure the peak concurrent was really much higher, it was on Game pass day 1.

terrible value, only continues to shrink

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Can't gently caress a bear in Starfield. Unbelievable

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Lmao extremely not owned, actually

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

my friend got on starfield the first week it was out and when i asked him how it was he complained he kept falling asleep while playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I assume this is just busy work assigned in-lieu of being immediately laid off when the game went gold.