Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

bring um back

nz needs moscow and cuba trained marxists promoting māori grievances

I emailed putin and he said there would be training on teams but the invite never came through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wafflecopper posted:

smoking may kill a lot of people, but it also helps the government balance their budget, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

It actually costs a lot more to treat people from their smoking related diseases than the tobacco tax brings the in lol. But tobacco companies (big donors!) Make lots of money.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

redleader posted:

absolute dogshit govt

Should have voted for the absolute ruler dog

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Saros posted:

It actually costs a lot more to treat people from their smoking related diseases than the tobacco tax brings the in lol. But tobacco companies (big donors!) Make lots of money.

yeah i meant balance it short term

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Serious question though, is there some reason to expect prohibition to work for cigarettes when it didn’t for alcohol and doesn’t for other recreational drugs?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I would guess tobacco is less recreational given it's not particularly mind altering like the others.
That and a marked reduction is still better than continuing status quo

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Alcohol is super easy to make yourself, so good luck ever stopping that.

other drugs have fun effects.

Most smokers I know don't seem to enjoy smoking.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hehe

quote:

Critics are calling deputy National Party leader 'Nicotine Willis', and Health Minister Shane Reti, 'Shane Cigareti'.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Wafflecopper posted:

Serious question though, is there some reason to expect prohibition to work for cigarettes when it didn’t for alcohol and doesn’t for other recreational drugs?

vapes would still be available

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's easy to make alcohol in the woods or under your house

Less so with a tobacco plantation

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

It's not prohibition, nicotine would still be available in many forms and you can grow your own tobacco lol

Love that the "hurr durr it's prohibition don't you loonie lefties hate prohibition" is how dumb national swing voters are justifying this

You can get enough tobacco to last you a year off like 4 plants and they grow like weeds, if anything is easier than making beer

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's not prohibition, nicotine would still be available in many forms and you can grow your own tobacco lol

Love that the "hurr durr it's prohibition don't you loonie lefties hate prohibition" is how dumb national swing voters are justifying this

You can get enough tobacco to last you a year off like 4 plants and they grow like weeds, if anything is easier than making beer

I'm honestly surprised at this, learned something today

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah most* of the lines that National/ACT/NZF have been using to defend their repeal of the Smokefree amendments are lifted verbatim from the astroturf campaign run by tobacco companies earlier this year, mostly based around the false idea that this is prohibition and prohibition creates a black market and let's the gengs profit and poo poo.

The government was actually going for the evidence based approach which is not to implement a blanket ban on a drug (nicotine), but instead to find the sweet spot between enough regulation that it reduces use, with enough availability (vapes, grow your own, nicotine patches/pills, limited sales of tobacco, etc) that it doesn't create a black market. Which is exactly what the cannabis referendum would've given us too, instead of the actual prohibition that we have currently.

*I don't say all the lines because the astroturf tobacco campaign said that the tax revenue could fund 35,000 more cops, whereas national are saying it can fund landlords and rich people instead

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A friend of my wife applied for a chief comms role at Philip Morris and apparently they were extremely clear that getting the changes repealed was existential for them. I'd be interested in knowing how much they spent.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

I'm honestly surprised at this, learned something today

It's probably fairly climate dependent but I grew a tobacco plant that I never pruned, it got to about 6 feet tall and the seed pods dropping resulted in hundreds of seedlings sprouting everywhere so I knocked it down before I accidentally created an ecological incident

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

seymour getting to gut pharmac

are there any details or information on this at all?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

are there any details or information on this at all?

ACT get money from pharmaceutical companies, acts number 4 is a big pharma lobbyist, act hate pharmac, Seymour is now the minister responsible for pharmac (I think it's normally the health minister who's responsible for pharmac?)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

ACT get money from pharmaceutical companies, acts number 4 is a big pharma lobbyist, act hate pharmac, Seymour is now the minister responsible for pharmac (I think it's normally the health minister who's responsible for pharmac?)

Health minister would need to be interested in health though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isn’t the new health minister a doctor?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wonder what gutting pharmac will mean?

changing cost of scripts to patients?

reducing number of medications funded maybe.

surely it’ll be a wildly unpopular move that most people won’t realise what they’ve lost until it’s gone

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

wonder what gutting pharmac will mean?

changing cost of scripts to patients?

reducing number of medications funded maybe.

surely it’ll be a wildly unpopular move that most people won’t realise what they’ve lost until it’s gone

The only thing in their coalition agreement is changes to decision making around which medicines to fund such that these have to be based on positive returns on investment. I think the main risk is just that he manufactures a case for reform (read: scrapping a single payer model) by setting pharmac up for failure and bad press - not providing enough funding, so that it has to make increasingly unpopular calls around which drugs to fund, mostly.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

echinopsis posted:

isn’t the new health minister a doctor?

Shane Cigareti?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

Shane Cigareti?

ok this one's actually good. Nicotine Willis is way too forced

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

The only thing in their coalition agreement is changes to decision making around which medicines to fund such that these have to be based on positive returns on investment. I think the main risk is just that he manufactures a case for reform (read: scrapping a single payer model) by setting pharmac up for failure and bad press - not providing enough funding, so that it has to make increasingly unpopular calls around which drugs to fund, mostly.

righto

I suspect and suppose could be well wrong, but I really hope Pharmac really is a case of having it so good for so long that people won’t tolerate it going backwards

and if any govt destroys it, surely it’d be a number one promise for the opposition to ride on all the way home

there’s a few things that all people love and one of them is cheap drugs

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

echinopsis posted:

righto

I suspect and suppose could be well wrong, but I really hope Pharmac really is a case of having it so good for so long that people won’t tolerate it going backwards

and if any govt destroys it, surely it’d be a number one promise for the opposition to ride on all the way home

there’s a few things that all people love and one of them is cheap drugs

It's been said before, but people fundamentally don't understand how most of our healthcare system works. Underfunded and short-staffed systems fail, that failure is used to justify change.

In an ideal world the change is more resources, internationally competitive pay and a focus on prevention. Poverty and lack of access to care is way more expensive in the long term. That is not what this government want.

Expect public systems to fail and private solutions to be offered as alternatives. My suspicion is Seymour will cynically suggest Pharmac should be open about their decision making process, removing the majority of their bargaining power.

If some version of National/ACT get multiple terms, Labour won't be able to coast in on the idea of fixing Pharmac (or whatever else they intentionally break). If the current government succeeds, the public trust in these organisations will have been destroyed.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
don't worry, they won't kill pharmac off...

... quickly

... or obviously

the playbook is to just make it shittier and shittier until they can 'justify' breaking its monopoly then, later, privatising it. bog standard stuff

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

once they break pharmac's monopoly it's dead. i don't think you could even sell it because its only commercial value is its ability to act as buyer for the entire new zealand market.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What the gently caress?

quote:

Allow the sale of cold medication containing pseudoephedrine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not every proposal of theirs is bad and that is one of the better ones

and I say this as someone who will literally be on the frontlines gatekeeping that poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress?

Slavvy posted:

Sudo is back on the menu boys

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Hashtag sudo life

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

not every proposal of theirs is bad and that is one of the better ones

and I say this as someone who will literally be on the frontlines gatekeeping that poo poo

I'm pretty sure that's the only good policy they have. Can't really think of another one, and I've tried.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bike tory posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the only good policy they have. Can't really think of another one, and I've tried.

i'm sure "index tax brackets to inflation" is bad, but i don't know why. on the surface it doesn't seem immediately dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

redleader posted:

i'm sure "index tax brackets to inflation" is bad, but i don't know why. on the surface it doesn't seem immediately dumb

it’s extremely good, if you don’t then as inflation leads to meaningless pay rises people still go up into higher tax brackets despite having no more purchasing power than before

tbh I am surprised by the proposal because the people who mostly benefits is lower wage earners

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
4. Begin efforts to double renewable energy production, including a NPS on Renewable Electricity Generation.

8. Start reducing public sector expenditure, including consultant and contractor expenditure.

11. Cancel fuel tax hikes.

17. Introduce legislation to restore 90-day trial periods for all businesses.

26. Introduce legislation to ban gang patches, stop gang members gathering in public, and stop known gang offenders from communicating with one another.

27. Give Police greater powers to search gang members for firearms and make gang membership an aggravating factor at sentencing.

34. Improve security for the health workforce in hospital emergency departments.

37. Require primary and intermediate schools to teach an hour of reading, writing and maths per day starting in 2024.

38. Ban the use of cellphones in schools.

on the surface these seem good to me at least, and yeah there are caveats and perhaps some of these are a screen for more sinister motives idk, but find it hard bike tory that you don’t think at least some of these are good.. increased security in emergency departments?? you said you can’t find any other good ones so perhaps you’re against that?

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

echinopsis posted:

it’s extremely good, if you don’t then as inflation leads to meaningless pay rises people still go up into higher tax brackets despite having no more purchasing power than before

tbh I am surprised by the proposal because the people who mostly benefits is lower wage earners

It also didn't make it through the negotiations - there's a one off adjustment in 2024 (the tax cuts) but no inflation indexation.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as in NANZ is not gonna go forward with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m quite pragmatic and certainly don’t view politics like it’s a sports team

the left are terrible at executing some of their proposals without haemorrhaging money
and the right sometimes has proposals that I personally think are good moves

this govt might be poo poo for a lot of reasons but imma look on the bright side of whatever, this govt might be good for some of us personally, and it’s hard to feel bad about that

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

echinopsis posted:

as in NANZ is not gonna go forward with it

Yup.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/503153/coalition-details-at-a-glance-what-you-need-to-know

"The Parties confirm no ongoing commitment to income tax changes, including threshold adjustments, beyond those to be delivered in 2024, and recognise that details of the Fiscal Plan may be subject to amendment in response to significant new information or events"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress?

The banning of it was a cynical tough on drugs move by national. Which at the time was shown it would not slow down the trade in methamphetamine. It was so they could have a headline saying they were taking action on the P usage. It didn’t do anything but they got to pretend.