Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

PostNouveau posted:

Hey now, the Titans fired Mularky after making the playoffs. There's still hope for us all!

As funny as it would be to watch the Saints or Falcons keep their coaches this year it would absolutely rule if the whole division jettisoned their coaches this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

For sure at least one bad NFC S team is going to keep their bad coach. It’s really just the worst version of hot potato now to see who backs into winning the division .

I've read between the lines enough that even if Bowles wins the division he pretty much has to win a playoff game or at least be very competitive. That's simply not happening.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I've read between the lines enough that even if Bowles wins the division he pretty much has to win a playoff game or at least be very competitive. That's simply not happening.

God I hope you’re right. He’s going to tank next years chances if he’s still around and weirdly we do have some actual talent on the team so I’d like to see them at least be scrappy and dangerous next year. Or break in a rookie qb.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wandler20 posted:

is there actual scuttlebutt on this or is it just speculation, because i can't actually see him getting canned this year unless they lose out

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Lol the Bucs are totally losing to the Panthers this week. Interim HC bump is real.

The Raiders proved it twice in a row, that's settled science

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

is there actual scuttlebutt on this or is it just speculation, because i can't actually see him getting canned this year unless they lose out

Scott Reynolds who is one of the more connected beat writers has made plenty of comments on this. He's not one to make poo poo up either and has a great pulse on what's happening over there. He also doesn't believe Bowles will get fired mid season no matter what because the Glazers have always given 2 years minimum to the guy they hire. Lovie, Koetter, Schiano, Raheem all got the full 2 years.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

As funny as it would be to watch the Saints or Falcons keep their coaches this year it would absolutely rule if the whole division jettisoned their coaches this year.

There's a world where the entire division fires its coaches, and then each team hires one of the just-fired coaches, and just thinking about that world makes me cackle.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Interim HC + Jim Caldwell fired Duce Staley and Josh McCown.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Panthers coach Arthur Smith

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

There's a world where the entire division fires its coaches, and then each team hires one of the just-fired coaches, and just thinking about that world makes me cackle.

Fun thought experiment: If you HAD to take a coach from this division to replace your HC, would you do it (if so which one) or would you stand pat?

I would take Chris Tabor just because I dunno I know Smith and Bowles suck, but maybe this guy turns out to be a genius or something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Fun thought experiment: If you HAD to take a coach from this division to replace your HC, would you do it (if so which one) or would you stand pat?

I would take Chris Tabor just because I dunno I know Smith and Bowles suck, but maybe this guy turns out to be a genius or something.

Panthers ST have been good under him. I honestly think Caldwell deserves another chance.

I'd probably take Larry Foote. gently caress it. Bring me linebackers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tabor has been great for us at least. I think Caldwell as a special offensive assistant seems like a decent idea at least.

Things can't get much worse, at least we have 6 weeks to see something.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I think it’s unfair that Todd Bowles has a job still

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bucs win the division and fire bowles anyway who says no

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Todd Bowles

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kidcoelacanth posted:

which option gets me rid of Dennis Allen

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

which option gets me rid of Dennis Allen

The one where the Bucs win the division.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Canales. Let him have a shot at HC, gently caress it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

The one where the Bucs win the division.

done

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Canales. Let him have a shot at HC, gently caress it.

Yeah, he seems like a good dude and cares about his players. Shame he had to hitch his wagon to Bowles.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I don't think we're capable. Sorry. DA for life!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I doubt Allen gets canned no matter the result.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thought about it and came to the conclusion that mayfield is far and away the best QB in the NFCS this season??

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
https://x.com/mysportsupdate/status/1729537917289173327?s=46&t=ulQHjJ9JRQDh0UYInWn8sg

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

kidcoelacanth posted:

thought about it and came to the conclusion that mayfield is far and away the best QB in the NFCS this season??

The fact that he and Derek Carr's stats are even close is a scathing indictment of Carr. (yes, Baker is the best QB in the South)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

this man is completely in over his head. why would you say any of this publicly and while the season is still going

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

this man is completely in over his head. why would you say any of this publicly and while the season is still going

My favorite part is how he says everyone in the building was OK taking either Stroud or Young in the middle of answering a question about how they scrapped the trade that would have given them the #2 so they could move up and take Young with the first instead. He's too stupid to even lie consistently.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

obviously true, unfortunately "best QB in the NFCS this season" is damning with extremely faint praise

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Lighter posted:

My favorite part is how he says everyone in the building was OK taking either Stroud or Young in the middle of answering a question about how they scrapped the trade that would have given them the #2 so they could move up and take Young with the first instead. He's too stupid to even lie consistently.

Reminder he’s on video stating he told Fitterer to trade to 1 because the original trade was taking too long to complete.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What were the terms of the trade to #2? Could they have kept Moore?

I know CJ Stroud looks a lot better so far, but I'm sure Stroud would also look like poo poo right now if he was playing on the Panthers.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

PostNouveau posted:

I know CJ Stroud looks a lot better so far, but I'm sure Stroud would also look like poo poo right now if he was playing on the Panthers.

Yeah, Moore was part of what got them the #1. And it could have been Burns instead.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, Moore was part of what got them the #1. And it could have been Burns instead.

Or Derrick Brown. The decent options were endless!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Houston had the #2 pick (good work, Lovie) so in what world can Houston trade the #2 pick to Carolina and also end up with the #1 pick so they can take Bryce in front of Carolina :psyduck:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

StupidSexyMothman posted:

Houston had the #2 pick (good work, Lovie) so in what world can Houston trade the #2 pick to Carolina and also end up with the #1 pick so they can take Bryce in front of Carolina :psyduck:

I think that was after Carolina had traded with Chicago for the number 1 pick. So Houston would've been trading up one spot so they could have their pick at QB (I could be wrong on that though)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Rumor has it you could simply draft stroud at #1 if you like him more

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eh I can't really fault Tepper for holding a press conference. You kind of have to by this point to at least try and clear the air a little bit. The inconsistencies of whys and hows we got here don't concern me as much as what the plan is for the next steps.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

PostNouveau posted:

Per the Panthers official website, Moore was included in the original trade to No. 2, and the only extra cost to move up to No. 1 was an extra 2025 second:

quote:

As the negotiations went on, the cost to go from No. 9 to No. 2 eventually seemed settled — this year's second-round pick acquired from the 49ers (61st overall, as opposed to the Panthers' own second, No. 39), next year's first-rounder, and Moore.

That’s part of the reason I was super skeptical of Tepper claiming that they originally planned on trading up for Stroud even though they liked Bryce better all along. Were you really willing to give up that haul and settle for your second favorite prospect? You assembled that package specifically for Stroud, but then when the Texans drop out, you decided “Actually we really wanted Bryce anyway” over the course of a couple of days? Even though your explicitly stated reason for going for 1 over 2 was impatience over the deal not getting done, rather than prospect preference?

(As it happens, that article on the official team website that includes Tepper, Fitterer and Reich as direct sources repeatedly says that they had no specific target in mind when they pulled the trigger on the trade, and instead that they decided to go for 1 to “control the draft.” I dunno why you wouldn’t just stand by the idea that Bryce was the consensus choice at the end of the evaluation process rather than creating an even murkier picture of what led to that decision.)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

xbilkis posted:

I dunno why you wouldn’t just stand by the idea that Bryce was the consensus choice at the end of the evaluation process rather than creating an even murkier picture of what led to that decision.

I can help you out with this. It's because Tepper has an abundance of money but not brains.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

(As it happens, that article on the official team website that includes Tepper, Fitterer and Reich as direct sources repeatedly says that they had no specific target in mind when they pulled the trigger on the trade, and instead that they decided to go for 1 to “control the draft.”

I expected it to be stupid, but I didn't expect it to be this stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ultimately, trading up is unnatural and disgusting behavior that upsets the natural order of things, and teams that engage in it deserve what they get.