Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Is the most recent issue of realm of x supposed to be radically different looking? It's off putting to me and I wasn't really enjoying the first two to begin with
The final issue looks like it's going to have normal decent non-Euclidean art, but sadly may come as a bit too little too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Is the most recent issue of realm of x supposed to be radically different looking? It's off putting to me and I wasn't really enjoying the first two to begin with

I assume they had to switch artists on short notice for some reason - even if you look at the most recent one as "stylized" it seems really sloppy.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

danbanana posted:

Are we sure we're not confusing telekinetic swords with the focused totality of psychic powers?

I haven't seen Betsy use the psychic knife since she got her original body, only Kwannon Psylocke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doesn't Betsy just have an actual sword at the moment?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
She absorbeed the starlight sword so it's kind of inside of her - comics...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

She absorbeed the starlight sword so it's kind of inside of her - comics...

Okay, so it is just an actual sword, just magical and absorbed into her body, which she is definitely not the first comic person to have that. Not even the first mutant, because doesn't Magik's sword sometime work like that?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Betsy just has had telekinesis for a while now, ever since she unAsian'd herself, and could make weapons with it. She had a purple sword and shield as Captain Britain even before the X of Swords, Starlight Sword stuff.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Well huh. Back when I first got into the X books, Betsy was a pure telepath, and Jean only had TK after getting out of the cocoon and didn't get telepathy back until years later. Then as the New era progressed her TK was getting so powerful she was basically Magneto but for everything, moving atoms around and poo poo. Yet nowadways she's considered omega level for her telepathy and not her TK stuff, and Betsy has both now too?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
E:^^^^ She was originally a telepath, then there was a power switch where Jean got her telepathy and she got Jeans telekenisis so she was only a telekenetic for a while. I forget when she got both though, Betsy is so confusing with all her body switches back and forth.

nope she is telepathic too.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 27, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sentinel Red posted:

Well huh. Back when I first got into the X books, Betsy was a pure telepath, and Jean only had TK after getting out of the cocoon and didn't get telepathy back until years later. Then as the New era progressed her TK was getting so powerful she was basically Magneto but for everything, moving atoms around and poo poo. Yet nowadways she's considered omega level for her telepathy and not her TK stuff, and Betsy has both now too?

Exodus is considered an Omega Level Telekinetic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Exodus is considered an Omega Level Telekinetic.

Read: His hands and eyes glow when he does it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jean Grey did telepathically control a poo poo ton of people that Firestar was an anti mutant mole that had been working with Orchis since its inception while she was dying. I think that's Omega level.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Can't strong enough TK effectively function as telepathy via manipulation of the inner ear and or grey matter?

No Prize

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

The short version is she's omega-level for telepathy, but merely really powerful for telekinetic, but not omega-level. As noted, Exodus is the only Earth omega telekinetic (there's probably an Arrakoan, but I don't think we've gotten a list of their omegas beyond those in the Circle)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Did she not get Omega level TK from having become young Jean at some point?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Jean Grey did telepathically control a poo poo ton of people that Firestar was an anti mutant mole that had been working with Orchis since its inception while she was dying. I think that's Omega level.

Nah, she only did that to Stasis and Stasis did the rest of the work convincing the others.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

Did she not get Omega level TK from having become young Jean at some point?

If she did, that got pulled back in HoXPoX, which is probably the current status quo for her.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I never really got Jean as this uber-telepath. Chuck goes around talking into every brain on Earth, boasting that he'll never allow a nuclear war because he already palced a mental lock upon every ruler that could call for one, and zombie-controlling the entire mutant population into the gates, and apparently that's not Omega-level?

That said, telepathy is a hard power to write. You always have to think of how and why thecharacter just doesn't instantly crowd-control or flip the opposition like I do when playing Pathfinder Kingmaker for every encounter. So then it can also be blocked by wearing the right hat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sephyr posted:

I never really got Jean as this uber-telepath. Chuck goes around talking into every brain on Earth, boasting that he'll never allow a nuclear war because he already palced a mental lock upon every ruler that could call for one, and zombie-controlling the entire mutant population into the gates, and apparently that's not Omega-level?

That said, telepathy is a hard power to write. You always have to think of how and why thecharacter just doesn't instantly crowd-control or flip the opposition like I do when playing Pathfinder Kingmaker for every encounter. So then it can also be blocked by wearing the right hat.

Jean could do everything Xavier could do and more. He had to put mental blocks on her when she was a kid because he was scared of how powerful she could become.

Hickman also seems to be working with the idea that being a Phoenix host sort of ties into omega level telepathy which is how it was before Jason Aaron did all that dumb stuff with it and had Wolverine and Echo and other people just pass it around.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

Hickman also seems to be working with the idea that being a Phoenix host sort of ties into omega level telepathy which is how it was before Jason Aaron did all that dumb stuff with it and had Wolverine and Echo and other people just pass it around.

I know I'm in a minority about generally liking Aaron's Marvel-Bullshit-laden Avengers, but the Phoenix stuff he did sucks and doesn't make a lick of loving sense. Plus making Mjolnir Thor's dad and Odin his mom would have just been a better story.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I always wish they just left Alan Davis's conclusion to the Phoenix story in place of the being deciding having a brain was dumb as hell and that Rachel being in charge of driving the phoenix force while it went back to having no personality was better for everyone. But that didn't last like 3 years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jean not having omega level telekinesis is a HoX retcon. She was mentioned as having omega-level TK several times before that point -- including, yeah, in the Teen Jean solo series -- and actually at least once after HoX.

It...doesn't super make sense, because -- as folks have noticed -- even if Jean eventually grew to be very powerful in both telekinesis and telepathy, she was always spotlighted more for her TK. Whenever stories wanted to highlight Jean's growing powers in the past, it always focused first on her crazy intricately-powerful TK, and the telepathy was usually sort of an afterthought.
(:rimshot:)

But eh whatever. She's Phoenix again now so it doesn't super matter! :supaburn: Like, if Betsy can gain or lose TK depending on the season, I probably shouldn't make that much a fuss that Jean was temporarily retconned to be slightly not as godly-powerful on an infographic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

If she did, that got pulled back in HoXPoX, which is probably the current status quo for her.

i feel like Hickman threw this infographic out into the wind, refused to elaborate on it and then bounced

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think he wanted to put down a definitive list so that fans would stop futzing over who was or wasn't omega-class, but the definitive list was just kinda based on vibes instead of canon, and even subtly adjusted the definition of what an omega-class mutant even was. Like, it's crazy that Rachel and Cable wouldn't be omega-class, and Storm and Magneto were never ranked as that in the past and, in fact, had very defined limits to their powers.

But again, whatever. Some of those adjustments have led to some good stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

I think he wanted to put down a definitive list so that fans would stop futzing over who was or wasn't omega-class, but the definitive list was just kinda based on vibes instead of canon, and even subtly adjusted the definition of what an omega-class mutant even was. Like, it's crazy that Rachel and Cable wouldn't be omega-class, and Storm and Magneto were never ranked as that in the past and, in fact, had very defined limits to their powers.

But again, whatever. Some of those adjustments have led to some good stuff.

I assume it's just because Rachel and Cable are not as strong as Jean or Quire as telepaths.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I assume it's just because Rachel and Cable are not as strong as Jean or Quire as telepaths.

Cable was supposed to be an Omega level Telepath and Telekinetic, it's just that he used 90% of his power constantly keeping his techno-organic virus in check. In theory, without the virus he should be on the same level as Nate Grey, who was so powerful he created an alternate reality.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can probably assume that list is now about as canon as his diagram on technarchy and dominions

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Uh oh! I forgot who I was going to quote but anyway Mr. Sinister is great!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've always thought that in any sort of really nuts and bolts setting people would be loving terrified of telepaths on a level above and beyond all other superpowers, because as scary as it is to possibly be melted by someone's finger lasers, a telepath could make you enjoy being melted by someone's finger lasers, and ask for more.

Presuming your mouth is not the part that is melted, I guess

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Uh oh! I forgot who I was going to quote but anyway Mr. Sinister is great!

Yeah, that is where I fell in love.

There was buzz that Sinister is actually mega-cold and calculating and the silly fey displays are just a front, and I'm glad to see it was apparently bunk.

You can be a lethal menace AND a hilarious goof.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sinster should, at any moment, give off the vibe that he's about to say

"So, come up to the lab
and see... what's on the slab"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad Jean didn't get whatever part of being an omega telepath makes you a Sinestro, at least

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Sinster should, at any moment, give off the vibe that he's about to say

"So, come up to the lab
and see... what's on the slab"
It would lend itself to the perfect title gag.

Issue 7: "I see you SHIVER with antici-"

Issue 11: "Pation"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

i feel like Hickman threw this infographic out into the wind, refused to elaborate on it and then bounced

I mean it's obviously wrong, we all know Franklin Richard was never a mutant and honestly it's kind of stupid you assumed he was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm so mad that everything with Franklin was dropped. It would be really interesting to see how he was supposed to play into all this.

Hopefully we can get him back as a mutant soon enough.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As usual, Ryan North is DB Cooper our best hope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As much as I just think Dan Slott is a lovely writer, I can understand him being like "I'm writing Fantastic Four, I don't want Franklin Richards getting sidetracked into a bunch of X-Men stuff I have to then address in my own book" but it was a lovely way to do it, I blame editorial for this poo poo more than Slott, there's a lot of conversations that should have happened between people that didn't happen before Franklin Richards was made "not a mutant."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gwenpool stole his mutant Gene but she'll be forced to give it back

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
franklin being a "mutant" mutant was always dumb. the kid's parents are two people whose dna got cosmic rayed. you don't need to then go, oh wait but your power actually comes from you also having the x-gene. it's just so unnecessary. maybe slott can come in an un-retcon kamala too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

franklin being a "mutant" mutant was always dumb. the kid's parents are two people whose dna got cosmic rayed. you don't need to then go, oh wait but your power actually comes from you also having the x-gene. it's just so unnecessary. maybe slott can come in an un-retcon kamala too
So a mutant but not a mutant mutant. A different kind of mutant that didn’t count as a mutant, despite being a mutant