Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kunster posted:

Messed up towns can work, like Innsmouth or Hobbs's End and the like, but people like Berryman showing up tells me that the outside can just interact well with Silent Hill with no big deal. Feels less like a prison of one's mind than let's say, Royston Vasey.

There is absolutely a place in the world for a Silent Hill style game set in Royston Vasey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Their show "Bullshit" was a libertarian party recruitment psyop.

It was such a mess, looking back. Three straight episodes of clowning on hucksters and psychics, then all of a sudden "You know what's BULLSHIT? ACCESSIBILITY! If you can't have a guy in an iron lung in your establishment, it's wrong to demand inclusive sidewalks and doorhandles!"

The image of them showing the one handicapped libertarian they could fing glaring at a door handle and saying it was making him weak by making hus life too easy is seared into my brain.

And then they do another backflip and decree that cheerleaders deserve government protection and regilation, because um... they're cute, I guess?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Sephyr posted:

It was such a mess, looking back. Three straight episodes of clowning on hucksters and psychics, then all of a sudden "You know what's BULLSHIT? ACCESSIBILITY! If you can't have a guy in an iron lung in your establishment, it's wrong to demand inclusive sidewalks and doorhandles!"

The image of them showing the one handicapped libertarian they could fing glaring at a door handle and saying it was making him weak by making hus life too easy is seared into my brain.

And then they do another backflip and decree that cheerleaders deserve government protection and regilation, because um... they're cute, I guess?

Its always made me remind myself that its unwise to adopt ones political beliefs from wealthy magicians.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/nj0ZcSL-zGI?si=IAGAZ9AHz0KW9lBb

this is prolly gonna get buried by the algo, posting it here for eyeballs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/nj0ZcSL-zGI?si=IAGAZ9AHz0KW9lBb

this is prolly gonna get buried by the algo, posting it here for eyeballs

this is about israel/palestine poo poo, for anyone else who doesn't want their recommendations turned to crap by clicking on a political video

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

this is about israel/palestine poo poo, for anyone else who doesn't want their recommendations turned to crap by clicking on a political video

oh poo poo, did the title give it away?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Arivia, serial defender of racists, doesn’t want politics making her YouTube feed ugly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Arivia, serial defender of racists, doesn’t want politics making her YouTube feed ugly

What are you even talking about

e: you didn’t provide any description of what it was, so if you have embeds turned off it’s effectively a blind link, and clicking on that kind of poo poo does make YouTube recommendations trash really quick. I’m not being unreasonable by pointing out that it’s a video about Israel/palestine.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 28, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Uhh OK I'm not a mod here but please do not accuse people of racism for nebulous reasons, and perhaps this is not the best place to have this kind of argument :thanks:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arivia posted:

e: you didn’t provide any description of what it was, so if you have embeds turned off it’s effectively a blind link, and clicking on that kind of poo poo does make YouTube recommendations trash really quick. I’m not being unreasonable by pointing out that it’s a video about Israel/palestine.

Yeah. I've got embeds turned on and it was still a blind link (on desktop if that matters). So naturally I wasn't going to click on it based on such a vague recommendation.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bullshit wasn't all bad, most of it was solid debunking work. I wouldn't really call it a psyop since Penn made it pretty crystal clear what ideology he was espousing and has, to his credit, seemingly walked back from a lot of libertarian poo poo over the past half decade.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

Bullshit wasn't all bad, most of it was solid debunking work. I wouldn't really call it a psyop since Penn made it pretty crystal clear what ideology he was espousing and has, to his credit, seemingly walked back from a lot of libertarian poo poo over the past half decade.

Yes, it had a lot of good stuff, which made it even weirder when they took a detour to say people should stop whining about secondhand smoke.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Yes, it had a lot of good stuff, which made it even weirder when they took a detour to say people should stop whining about secondhand smoke.

It's consistent with the ideology, South Park took a similar stance (aware that Trey and Matt don't identify as libertarian, but lmao yeah right guys). Even as a dumb teen receptive to some libertarian arguments, neither ever sold me on that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I was partially joking with that post. Those episodes were really jarring from, as everyone said, the good episodes taking hucksters to task for exploiting people's anxieties. A good way to watch that show is to pick and choose your episodes and anytime you hear "libertarian think tank" fast forward the talking head in that interview.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoiwwof050&t=1038s

:lmao: at 17:00 onwards

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Penn and Teller: Bullshit definitely had plenty of good, even if the worst parts were indeed a load of bloody awful Libertarian bollocks. It's kinda like listening to a lot of 1970's Rush -- there's certainly an absolute load of great, but just try not to cringe or pay too much attention at whatever Randian nonsense Neil Peart's written (thankfully he grew out of that after the 1970's).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh poo poo, did the title give it away?

Your URLs don't auto embed as videos for me. There's no way to tell what they are besides clicking on them. I think that's why Arivia is giving an FYI about wtf the video's about.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The youtu.be shortened links don't create embeds

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Annointed posted:

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728309700788207899

Idk apparently Jam. Is there a plot? Are there themes? Is there an actual plan like good Choose Your Own Adventures games or interactive streams people have made? So far the answer I got is "no." It's all random disconnected bullshit that doesn't amount to anything other than an ongoing trainwreck.

JAM BOI

It's a choose your own adventure game, controlled by trolls online, where every choice made has to be undone three scenes later because ultimately the story has to continue on rails towards the eventual conclusion and the trolls are trying hard to pick the worst choices. I've been mock-watching the compilation episodes (they were on Tubi, but last week's wasn't so I went to the publisher's youtube) with friends and it's baffling. At this time I'm pretty sure the reason they have two completely separate narratives is to try and hope you forget the vote result by the time they switch back and forth three times.

I don't think it's AI unless they decided midway through dev to switch to it and given the hilariously long credits - it's just a rails-talker that's trying to pretend it's not.

Also it's like they completely missed the structure and point to Silent Hill games: Instead of "people trapped in a nightmare world gradually unpack the past that brought them there" they turned it into "two different soap opera dramas play out where blobby creatures just sorta show up".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its until dawn and dark pictures except you cant actually play the game

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Sweet love a good LP

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I honestly think this should have been an Until Dawn thing instead of Silent Hill

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nothing in the game was as cool as that interview with the studio lead where he rambled about the game's monetization on the verge of tears while ambient horror music played

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Your URLs don't auto embed as videos for me. There's no way to tell what they are besides clicking on them. I think that's why Arivia is giving an FYI about wtf the video's about.

my mistake

is there a general ‘no politics’ rule ITT? I see people posting politics-adjacent creators or bringing them up (Big/Little Joel, etc) on occasion

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

my mistake

is there a general ‘no politics’ rule ITT? I see people posting politics-adjacent creators or bringing them up (Big/Little Joel, etc) on occasion

no we'd really just prefer you specifically didn't post here

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

my mistake

As far as I’m aware, there’s no rule against it (and I don’t think there should be).

It’s just that if you start watching ANY politics stuff on YouTube that gets the algorithm going and then you have to start weeding out recommendations for Joe Rogan and poo poo like that. So a good number of people (myself included) steer clear of that kind of content, at least while logged in, that way YouTube actually stays on topic for the kinds of content we’re interested in.

That’s why I posted to let people know, because I didn’t want anyone else to click the blind link and have to go to the trouble of removing it from their watch history. The problem wasn’t your video, or posting a video about Israel/palestine, or politics in general, it’s just watching it accidentally can make the platform demonstrably shittier overall for some users. It’s wrangling the drat algorithm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Uhh OK I'm not a mod here but please do not accuse people of racism for nebulous reasons, and perhaps this is not the best place to have this kind of argument :thanks:

Where IS the mod of RGD anyway? They seem to have pulled a "guy with the phone number username who was the mod before them and Lorne" and just disappeared. Might be time to search for a new one, I dunno.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I would like to chime in with a polite request for a short description of a video's topic along with links, please.

For the reasons Arivia laid out ( thanks for spelling it out in a coherent fashion.), but not confined to politics. Might be cool to see one very good vid on a new topic, but maybe I don't want 400 of them to follow up. It's nice to know the topic before clicking, thank you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

no we'd really just prefer you specifically didn't post here

that’s cool

https://youtu.be/bTkocnwq45U?si=jyFkklrNAIJNGhsP

(a kid with a broken foot flies a super cheap kit-built plane across the US)

Arivia posted:

It’s just that if you start watching ANY politics stuff on YouTube that gets the algorithm going and then you have to start weeding out recommendations for Joe Rogan and poo poo like that. So a good number of people (myself included) steer clear of that kind of content, at least while logged in, that way YouTube actually stays on topic for the kinds of content we’re interested in.

That’s why I posted to let people know, because I didn’t want anyone else to click the blind link and have to go to the trouble of removing it from their watch history. The problem wasn’t your video, or posting a video about Israel/palestine, or politics in general, it’s just watching it accidentally can make the platform demonstrably shittier overall for some users. It’s wrangling the drat algorithm.

That makes sense. I forget that not everybody’s been paying for premium since 2018 like I have, and I still gently caress up my feed constantly and end up having to “do not recommend channel” a bunch. Also I’m dankrupt and didn’t sleep last night so I’ve had an rear end in a top hat morning. My bad.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Maybe there's a point at which you've watched enough leftist political stuff that the algorithm no longer serves you chud poo poo, because I swear barring an outlier here or there the algorithm is pretty solid on what I'm getting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Maybe there's a point at which you've watched enough leftist political stuff that the algorithm no longer serves you chud poo poo, because I swear barring an outlier here or there the algorithm is pretty solid on what I'm getting.

either that or you’ve blocked all the bigger poo poo

these days whenever I get chud content on my feed it’s always from some rando with <100 subs rather than like a Tim Pool, etc

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Twincityhacker posted:

Other than having a red pill/blue pill scene ( which is only actually a choice in the Matrix ) and two seperate realities, I don't really see the similarities.

They're both stories where the main character wakes up to their world not being what they thought it was, and the choices they make with that information. At the end of The Matrix, Neo vows to bring down the system and free everyone while Barbie choses to return her world to the prior status quo with only minor tweaks. That's the big contrast, but there's a lot more little similarities and differences Jessie talks about in the video.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 28, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

I would like to chime in with a polite request for a short description of a video's topic along with links, please.

For the reasons Arivia laid out ( thanks for spelling it out in a coherent fashion.), but not confined to politics. Might be cool to see one very good vid on a new topic, but maybe I don't want 400 of them to follow up. It's nice to know the topic before clicking, thank you.

I second this. I have Youtube embeded links enabled in the Awful app, and I still get a lot of blind links from this thread.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Sardonik posted:

YouTube is on a "desperately feed tiny creators to people" kick, it seems (probably because they don't pay ad splits on that stuff), but for me even that ends up steadily avoiding chud poo poo. I don't watch leftist/breadtube content either, though - sometimes it seems like I'm the only person for whom "not interested" actually works.

Except when it tries to sneak the 8-bit guy back in. How about no.

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

if paid-for guest characters aren't written by AI I would be shocked lol, it feels similar to AI Dungeon where it gets "stuck" on a prompt.

specifically when he gets asked if he has seen anything strange, says "Yes, I have seen strange things", doesn't elaborate, instead asks "You?" only to immediately continue rambling about berries and jam. just feels like a string of word associations.

could absolutely just be bad writing, but it's impressively bad if so. berry man ftw regardless.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

tracecomplete posted:

YouTube is on a "desperately feed tiny creators to people" kick, it seems (probably because they don't pay ad splits on that stuff), but for me even that ends up steadily avoiding chud poo poo. I don't watch leftist/breadtube content either, though - sometimes it seems like I'm the only person for whom "not interested" actually works.

Except when it tries to sneak the 8-bit guy back in. How about no.

He popped up on my feed today too, holding a rare prototype Commodore C65. I assume he filled it with paperclips until it caught fire and then retrobrited the remains.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't know if it's possible to file a restraining order on behalf of old prototype computers but I think in this case it would be warranted.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

He popped up on my feed today too, holding a rare prototype Commodore C65. I assume he filled it with paperclips until it caught fire and then retrobrited the remains.

triggered? :agesilaus:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

On a semi related note, nostalgia nerd put a video out that is a lot more like his older output where he takes a topic and talks about it without a clickbait title, borrowing someone else's format or a thumbnail full of arrows and circles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkvLHqgqkQI

I throughly enjoyed it.

Just don't like seeing irreplaceable stuff destroyed on a weird little guy's whim, friendo.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are you fuckers just not using the [video] tag out of spite