Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

video games shouldn't try to be philosophical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

veni veni veni posted:

You should make a PHD level philosophy video game then space homos

Someone already did, it’s called hentai quest 5

The subtext is a bit hidden though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i'm playing fire emblem three houses right now and its dotted with cutscenes containing far too many characters and a fairly run of the mill "kingdom against the rebels" plot with some voice acting that i disliked enough to switch to Japanese so it at least sounds mysterious

the actual fighting bit is cool though, playing on easy so its a bit of a walkover and might get boring soon but i was after a nice turn based strategy game and it fits the bill

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ymgve posted:

Talos Principle 1 and 2 is cool and good. Though I feel they reduced the difficulty in the sequel, I only really got stumped by a few bonus puzzles.

But it's always a balance in creating a puzzle game - you have to create something that the average player can complete and still feel smart for completing, go too far one way and it just feels like busywork, and go too far the other way and you end up with Snakebird.

Yeah this is my only complaint so far, there aren't any puzzles like getting inside the house to watch tv, or putting the aperture labs sign on the moon or anything, it seems all that stuff got replaced with the star monuments? I can't believe that's true though, is it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Talos had those sort of puzzles, but that type of box-breaking logic started with the harder star puzzles and ended up with funny easter eggs, of which there where dozens and dozens. Like you literally find a bed to finally get some drat sleep in, can chuck stuff at the moon, etc.

Also talos being philosophy 101 isn't a burn at all; that's a reasonably high standard to throw into a video game. Like, if another game had 100-level courses on actual history it'd be praised for its accuracy, or a puzzle that required proper chemistry lab technique to not gently caress up, etc. As for it being accesible material, note how Talos got universal praise for being a thinking game, instead of being pretentious - unlike other thread favorites.

-----------

Unpopular video game opinion: More big budget games should include material from actual 100-level Arts courses, it's clearly working so far.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

Who doesnt like spreadsheet software?

You have all these numbers flying around in you head mocking you. Put them in their grid prison and force them to make all kinds of work for you.

i will litsd\ly die

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Which was the Ice Pick game where you basically farmed colors to fight bosses and got rewarded with CGI girl strip teases?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Talos Principle, The Witness, Braid could all learn a thing about story telling from Baba is You.

Someone should make a mod that replaces The Witness's TED talks with the Onion's parody TED talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcNYb3DydA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ymgve posted:

Someone already did, it’s called hentai quest 5

The subtext is a bit hidden though

Do I need to start with Hentai Quest 1 to get acquainted with the lore or can I just jump right in to 5?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i'm playing fire emblem three houses right now and its dotted with cutscenes containing far too many characters and a fairly run of the mill "kingdom against the rebels" plot with some voice acting that i disliked enough to switch to Japanese so it at least sounds mysterious

the actual fighting bit is cool though, playing on easy so its a bit of a walkover and might get boring soon but i was after a nice turn based strategy game and it fits the bill

Even Normal difficulty is way too easy and you really ought to restart on Hard, but then that means slogging through all the opening cutscenes instead. Up to you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Even Normal difficulty is way too easy and you really ought to restart on Hard, but then that means slogging through all the opening cutscenes instead. Up to you.

Fire Emblem has always struggled to get difficulty right but it's been completely hosed ever since Awakening. Fates: Conquest is the only one that has felt even decent.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Talos presents its philosophy stuff in really engaging and thoughtful ways that encourage players to actually explore their own beliefs. It loving kicks rear end and saying it's dumb because it's "pretentious" or that its ideas aren't advanced or esoteric enough is extremely funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Fire Emblem has always struggled to get difficulty right but it's been completely hosed ever since Awakening. Fates: Conquest is the only one that has felt even decent.

It's some monkey paw bullshit that the only FE game in a minute with good challenge is also the one most poorly written and by such an incredible degree.

Vakal posted:

Which was the Ice Pick game where you basically farmed colors to fight bosses and got rewarded with CGI girl strip teases?

The Void

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fire Emblem seems like some kind of anime dating simulator that begrudgingly has an rpg attached to it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fire Emblem seems like some kind of anime dating simulator that begrudgingly has an rpg attached to it

the series started out as anime romance of the three kingdoms rpg, but it turned into anime romance your stepsister rpg

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Apparently Awakening was planned as the series' last hurrah, but turning it into a dating simulator made the sales skyrocket so that's what it has been ever since.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

George posted:

Talos presents its philosophy stuff in really engaging and thoughtful ways that encourage players to actually explore their own beliefs. It loving kicks rear end and saying it's dumb because it's "pretentious" or that its ideas aren't advanced or esoteric enough is extremely funny.

the puzzles are dumb so the game is dumb

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

George posted:

When are they going to make dogs playing poker into a video game?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vic posted:

Saying something is "freshman level philosophy" is like jerking it 10 times a day to something so extremely niche you can't even get it up unless it looks like you.

I don't know why people expect writing as sophisticated to the same degree as what you'd need to get a PhD in a video game or movie. I just don't want the stories to be dumb and that's already a bar most aren't able to reach. Did The Matrix really need more scenes crammed with philosophical parlance? Conversely, would the movie have been better if it wasn't there at all? Nah and nah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On the other hand if every Marvel movie contained a secret lecture on enough subjects then Disney watchers could have an associates degree just from being diligent consumers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Calling something “entry level” has always been a trash criticism.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

This game is weird and cool. I cant say its a “good game” but its interesting and unique.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hey go easy on him, people need to justify their degree in philosophy somehow. Usually that manifests in calling things Philosophy 101 every time someone mentions something that they found interesting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Philosophy is for nerds who aren't good enough at math to be mathematicians

George
Nov 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Philosophy is for nerds who aren't good enough at math to be mathematicians

I majored in both.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

George posted:

I majored in both.

How was that?

I went CS > philosophy > history because I didn't want to break my brain as hard, or endure the sheer misery you did

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The crossover between describing games as "philosophy 101" for trying to say anything at all, and people complaining there's too much words or writing in games is pretty big ime.

Edit: as someone who did a Maths/Physics double degree anyone who says that STEM or whatever is objectively harder or more important than a non STEM field is a loving idiot that doesn't know enough about either side.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

settle down beavis

George
Nov 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

How was that?

I went CS > philosophy > history because I didn't want to break my brain as hard, or endure the sheer misery you did

I got into the non-mathematical philosophy so it was a great escape.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

video games don't need to say anything though. They just need to be fun to play.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

This game is weird and cool. I cant say its a “good game” but its interesting and unique.

You had one side that basically told you to never do anything because it was possibly going to destroy the world, one side that was totally bonkers and would give you quests that ultimately lead to you loving yourself over (but at least it was stuff for you to do), and then halfway through the 3rd side which revealed you were destroying the world but it's hosed anyway and it just wants to leave by any means necessary. I really like having to puzzle out what the meta game is even supposed to be: farming? combat? doing nothing and hoping for a plot shift? It was semi random, so hard to tell even if you'd already played before.

Besides Pathologic they also had a little 2D horror game Knock Knock that was along those lines, making you ask if you're attracting the monsters, scaring them away, or just inventing time wasting activities for yourself to make yourself feel better.

I can see why this type of game is unpopular. It both suffers from being generally aggravating due to the player being punished without knowing the reason, as well as people having access to the internet and just looking up what strategy to use.

Oh yeah, and some game called The Quest for Gravity? I think it was Icepick Lodge does Banjo Nuts and Bolts but I don't recall it being good even by my standards. All I remember is driving around some contraption I made covered in screaming babies, and I think the mechanic was you needed as many babies as possible screaming at once.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

video games don't need to say anything though. They just need to be fun to play.

I can guarantee you that there are many things in all of your favorite video games that you appreciate but don't need to be there. What a strange criticism of something.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

listening to/reading/thinking about interesting things is a form of fun play.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

/walks in to see a bunch of dudes comparing academic wieners

Welp that's enough video games for me today.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
They also need swords or guns or energy blasts too

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I just bought Talos 2 tonight on a whim having never heard of the first one, and had to look up three of the beginner idiot puzzles while a voice in my head named like Timothy McVeigh’s white supremacist village whined about the Bible or something

I have both STEM and non-STEM degrees, could this be my issue

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I assume Talos 2 was polite enough not to drop you off the deep end like the Ghenna DLC did. The first game's initial puzzles where very simple, not sure if that's more appropriate? I say that not to be condescending, poo poo can escalate in that game and it might be nice to have a background PhD in puzzle lasers.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Zeluth posted:

This piddley what they have done. I am ashamed that this is what you have seen.

VPForums for all you was once a

Are you having a strunk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I wish that developers would make good games instead of so many bad games

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

QuarkJets posted:

I wish that developers would make good games instead of so many bad games

Jeff vogel makes good games and rereleases them every 10 years in a newer engine. My unpopular opinion is that he should be rich and famous and exile 3 got me through childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Loin King posted:

Are you having a strunk

Thank you for digging up this post I missed it. Probably my favorite post of 2023 now.