Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

What difficulty are we talking? I just did 6 successful auric damnation missions in a row with no problems. Probably some of my smoother runs.

Which axe are you using, and what attack combination for hoard clearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Captainicus posted:

Well it runs now for some people :v: My performance still isn't good, but at least minimal crashes, which is good enough!

If you have it enabled still, disable RT entirely, and disable Portrait Rendering somewhere in options. I used to crash literally 2 - 3 times per mission up till 6 months post-launch. With those 2 settings off I have not crashed a single time in the last +-60 hours.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Fishstick posted:

If you have it enabled still, disable RT entirely, and disable Portrait Rendering somewhere in options. I used to crash literally 2 - 3 times per mission up till 6 months post-launch. With those 2 settings off I have not crashed a single time in the last +-60 hours.

I appreciate this, I have RT disabled but have not disabled portrait rendering, will give it a try!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Veteran: "I want to see some proper soldiering in this next fight!"

Psyker: "In a city like this, you'd do better to fight like an Enforcer."

Well, you *do* have to shoot a hell of a lot of dogs.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Veteran: "I want to see some proper soldiering in this next fight!"

Psyker: "In a city like this, you'd do better to fight like an Enforcer."

Well, you *do* have to shoot a hell of a lot of dogs.

:bisonyes:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

On Dogmode I like to say "i haven't seen this many murdered dogs since that one episode of Chernobyl" and sometimes it gets a laugh

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
“Combat pattern Michael Vick authorized!” is usually met by uncomfortable silence.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
With regards to cosmetics, fatshark is owned by tencent. It might be hard to see the fingerprints but they are there. Tencent is a very powerful Chinese State run media company.

Conversely ghost ship games is owned by THQ Nordic, another powerful yet privately run Austrian gaming company. Nordic owns a lot of smaller European developers like the ones that made Gothic, Destroy All Humans, Titan Quest.

It might be interesting to contrast the development of these two games with the companies that own them.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean the cosmetics in Darktide are so commonplace in the gaming world now there is nothing uniquely sinister about it, tencent or otherwise. If anything the lack of a season battlepass strikes me as downright virtuous in the gaming hellscape of 2023.

EDIT: Ran into another Vet in Damnation who just could not put his ranged weapon away. He was using a recon las and he would use it even if enemies where all the way in his face. He picked up every loose ammo pickup on the entire map, kept spamming he was out of ammo, and seemed incapable of finding ammo pickups unless someone else pinged it for him. He even got mad because he dropped an ammo crate and even though he hit it once, someone else took a hit on it and he said he was going to need a second refill.

He's clearly a jerk but it's a symptom. They need to onboard players better. A Vet and a Zealot can be equally capable with ranged weapons depending on their choice of talents and weapons. Granted, the ceiling on Vet capability with guns is higher, but it's not a foregone conclusion that they are the 'gun' class. If anything they have access to the most tools for quickly handling a lot of beefy enemies quickly. I also notice that strict gun vets seem to usually be Xbone players. They just need to talk to players more as they learn the game. The number of people I see at level 30 who just kind of suck when it comes to the game's fundamentals makes me boggle at how much people are being carried or worse, how many hours they're throwing at failed games to level in spite of losing.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 28, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmm what do Chinese fingerprints look like exactly

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Hmm what do Chinese fingerprints look like exactly

Fingerprints with Chinese characteristics; the unnamed country can only salivate.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sharkopath posted:

While I think the choice of setting they went with was the right one, how cool the combat and weapons feel in this game makes me wish they had done a vermintide style unlikely fellowship of radically different heroes. Thinking about how sick this art team would have made the effects of a necrons gauss cannon as it vaporized traitor guard and melted them into skeletons, or getting to use a warp spiders monofilament cloud gun in first person, would have been neat.

*Pounding table*

Darktide players should have been Chaos Marines scything through loyalists

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mendrian posted:

I mean the cosmetics in Darktide are so commonplace in the gaming world now there is nothing uniquely sinister about it, tencent or otherwise. If anything the lack of a season battlepass strikes me as downright virtuous in the gaming hellscape of 2023.
I'm quite happy to let cosmetic whales fund my gaming experience, given the other options out there. Blizzard's OW2 battlepass is such a trash step down compared to me just opening free lootboxes for skins. The landscape sucks as you say.

quote:

He's clearly a jerk but it's a symptom. They need to onboard players better.
My memory of the tutorial is that it shows you how to shoot things and how to stab things. Like I guess they could add a big red text warning saying you should be using melee a lot on every class or something but I'm not sure how you put Darktide/VT/L4D tips into a tutorial without having to craft an entire SP campaign. Some people are willing to learn the game and learn from seeing their teammates do things, and experimenting themselves, and some people are just shitters. With all that said, if you have any examples of games like this that do a better tutorial I'd genuinely be interested to see what they did differrent.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I had a run last night where i was a plasma vet who never put hsi ranged weapon away and ate all the ammo pickups.

i was running with a kickback shield ogryn and two psykers one surge one purgatus. so long as i was in coherency they would kill every horde ever so i just focused specials. also 2 psykers meant more ammo for me.

also they were very nice even though i hosed up a lot.

Also clearly i did use melee to help as needed just not majority of time

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The worst part is it's super easy to make vet self sustaining. I've got like four different loadouts that never pick up ammo, never run out of ammo, and never stop shooting except when there's a juicy pack begging for a power swording.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shuka posted:

With regards to cosmetics, fatshark is owned by tencent. It might be hard to see the fingerprints but they are there. Tencent is a very powerful Chinese State run media company.

Conversely ghost ship games is owned by THQ Nordic, another powerful yet privately run Austrian gaming company. Nordic owns a lot of smaller European developers like the ones that made Gothic, Destroy All Humans, Titan Quest.

It might be interesting to contrast the development of these two games with the companies that own them.

Why are you certain that it is Tencent calling the shots with regards to monetization, and not Games Workshop? You know, the company that is already legendary for making the most expensive miniatures wargames on the market, and exercises tight control over anything related to the IP? Allegedly the reason why the shirtless Ogryn bug got patched so fast even though it was highly popular?

I'm sure Tencent has some fingers in the pie, but I don't see any evidence that they're dictating the cosmetics pricing. They are likely a big part of the reason the game launched a year before it was really ready, but GW seems the more likely culprit for anything more specific.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

*Pounding table*

See, now there's an idea for the pvp part.
use the stalker system from warframe to spawn into missions.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Mendrian posted:

EDIT: Ran into another Vet in Damnation who just could not put his ranged weapon away. He was using a recon las and he would use it even if enemies where all the way in his face. He picked up every loose ammo pickup on the entire map, kept spamming he was out of ammo, and seemed incapable of finding ammo pickups unless someone else pinged it for him. He even got mad because he dropped an ammo crate and even though he hit it once, someone else took a hit on it and he said he was going to need a second refill.
I had a vet like this on an Auric HISTG mission of all things, except he kept camping in the worst spots and would keep getting overwhelmed and downed by basic pox walker hordes. Not just that but he had the triple Humber of Heretics insigna equipped which... well after 10000 scab kills you'd think you would've learned how to survive in melee by now but I guess not. At least he got me a ton of revives for the Up and at 'Em penance :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just wish that Deathwing was as good as this.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

SuperKlaus posted:

*Pounding table*

Nah gently caress that, enough poo poo about space marines in any form.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The worst part is it's super easy to make vet self sustaining. I've got like four different loadouts that never pick up ammo, never run out of ammo, and never stop shooting except when there's a juicy pack begging for a power swording.

Like I'm a plasma vet and I never really need ammo, power sword 90% of the time, whip it out for anything that gets a callout, only use charged shots for real heavies. My passive ammo keeps me pretty well topped up.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

skaianDestiny posted:

Space marine was a good game though. Hoping 2 doesnt suck.

But yes 40k suffers from Star wars syndrome a bit where the interesting stuff is never the stuff that gets made into games or movies

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the sinister chinese (state-run) invented expensive cosmetic dlc, please ignore the people who actually own the IP doing this for decades in their own medium

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

"Darktide but you're Orks" would be the greatest shooter ever made.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

skaianDestiny posted:

Space marines own.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Reiley posted:

"Darktide but you're Orks" would be the greatest shooter ever made.

enemy: tyranids
autoclicker mod: preinstalled and mandatory
system requirements: unachievable

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Give me Mass Effect except its Kapt'n Bluddflagg and crew.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
there just needs to be more games with orks as protagonists period, i hope this isn't controversial to say

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

Stormboy, Mek, Weirdboy, maybe a Nob or just a regular Ork Boy as your classes
Dedicated WAAAGH button for all players
Many, many disposable grots and squigs.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm quite happy to let cosmetic whales fund my gaming experience, given the other options out there. Blizzard's OW2 battlepass is such a trash step down compared to me just opening free lootboxes for skins. The landscape sucks as you say.

My memory of the tutorial is that it shows you how to shoot things and how to stab things. Like I guess they could add a big red text warning saying you should be using melee a lot on every class or something but I'm not sure how you put Darktide/VT/L4D tips into a tutorial without having to craft an entire SP campaign. Some people are willing to learn the game and learn from seeing their teammates do things, and experimenting themselves, and some people are just shitters. With all that said, if you have any examples of games like this that do a better tutorial I'd genuinely be interested to see what they did differrent.

How other games do it is in fact part of the problem. In most other shooters I can think of, melee is the option of last resort, something you do if you run out of ammo or are caught with your pants all the way down. Some shooters have weird corner case melee builds (Borderlands) but it certainly isn't the default mode of play. I think this creates an expectation that melee isn't important or it's 'for' the 'melee classes' rather than probably the game's central thesis.

LFD2 is probably the closest analog I can think of. Melee isn't essential in that game but what is essential is pushing enemies and the general meta strategies that arise for how to survive on any given map. Now the problem is that my memory of how that game onboards you is completely distorted; I learned through the slow climb up through the difficulty levels, yes, but I also was running the game with dedicated friends who learned from each other and shared strategies that we learned online or from playing with strangers. I was mostly isolated from the broader fanbase. That isn't the case with DT; quickplay with strangers is the dominant default option and the game is working uphill to help people unlearn bad habits they've learned from other games.

Here are a few options I have noodled; I am not a game designer and someone who actually cares about this kind of thing can probably come up with better options:

* Make hidden mechanics transparent. Melee is more dangerous to your health (in general) than ranged but I am amazed how many people don't know how melee works wrt toughness etc.
* Use a more intuitive UI.
* Offer a scoreboard that prioritizes melee kills over ranged kills.
* Force players to get through several character levels with no access to ranged weapons at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Preechr posted:

Stormboy, Mek, Weirdboy, maybe a Nob or just a regular Ork Boy as your classes
Dedicated WAAAGH button for all players
Many, many disposable grots and squigs.

Waaagh only works if you all push it at the same time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

JBP posted:

Waaagh only works if you all push it at the same time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pharmaskittle posted:

You just have to believe hard enough that your system can run the game. :colbert:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mendrian posted:

They need to onboard players better.

If you had to demonstrate you know how to push a Burster and can 1v1 a single Rager without a ranged weapon to get into anything above regular intensity Heresy, I'd be down with that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pharmaskittle posted:

The ogryn cluster grenade except it's happening all the time.

I think Field Improvisation for Veteran is broken. The grenade pickup from ammo crates works fine but the medipac doesn't clear corruption properly. If you have a wound it won't clear the corruption bar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I haven’t really used that perk but maybe it just means any corruption you get from pox enemies?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

isndl posted:

Why are you certain that it is Tencent calling the shots with regards to monetization, and not Games Workshop? You know, the company that is already legendary for making the most expensive miniatures wargames on the market.

I don't remember saying anything about GW, or that the two things would be mutually exclusive. If anything it's compounding.

You could have totally added to the convo without white knighting for tencent with a straw man argument my friend.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
oh it's another of you drg cultists. i swear, for such a successful game it sure breeds the most defensive and pushy fans, like fuckin jehova's witnesses butting into everywhere and making everything about their ugly rear end game like they need to justify their fandom

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I will whiteknight Tencent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod that replaces the dreg cultist audio with the cultists combat barks from Blood? Modern Arts and Fear Books!