Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

No, even if you try and disable all monetisation you can’t stop YouTube slapping ads on it.

according to a bunch of ppl I follow videos that are pro-Palestine/critical of Israeli policy seem to be getting consistently demonetized, no idea if that applies to all videos about Israel/Palestine or just the stuff deemed to have progressive wrongthink in it

It’s understandable that advertisers would want to steer clear of it but IDK what that actually looks like for people who don’t already not see ads as a default, or for people watching pro-genocide poo poo, etc because I don’t watch that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

the recent trend of pepole bleeping out words like "abuse" is, interesting

This has been around for a while. Even things like the word "sex" people would bleep out or spell it out. Tiktok people switched from suicide to "unalive" which is clever but makes it feel much less serious imo

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
YouTube and the various other algorithm run sites are so opaque as to what is and isn't allowed that people create their own sets of rules that must be followed to appease the machine god based on very circumstantial evidence. So you end up with one person double pinky swearing that saying "Covid" got them banned on YouTube and suddenly everyone avoids saying it because they dare not risk to incur the wrath of the Algo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Protonmail and google can both directly send mail on your behalf if your DNS is setup properly. I don't know why people said that was spoofing, instead of delegating, I've been using that feature for the better part of a decade. It passes SPF, DMARC and DKIM. Here's an example header:

The person from last page is talking about using SMTP and IMAP to interact with another mail server inside the gmail client, just like if you used thunderbird or outlook. Nothing mysterious about that. You can do half of that in protonmail at least, setup IMAP to read email. There are various other email service providers that will do this for you, acting like an online version of thunderbird. I don't know about them though because I only have been working with custom domains, like admin@salt-fish-fart-party.org and such.

The reason that I'm moving away from gmail is that in this specific example, gmail is opening, reading, and storing your email content and metadata for their (increasingly dark) business purposes. If you get banned from youtube for using an adblocker maybe you lose your email too, so I don't want to consolidate my services with them if I can help it. Your mileage will vary.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Protonmail and google can both directly send mail on your behalf if your DNS is setup properly. I don't know why people said that was spoofing, instead of delegating, I've been using that feature for the better part of a decade. It passes SPF, DMARC and DKIM.

i did say you can set it up correctly if you control the DNS records, that's how my own email is set up, it's sending email on behalf of a domain you don't control that's a problem

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

kirbysuperstar posted:

the recent trend of pepole bleeping out words like "abuse" is, interesting

Between stuff like this and YouTube’s continued method of taking down videos at the slightest hint of copyright infringement no matter how valid it’s no wonder most videos I watch these days work just as well as podcasts.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Fastmail seems to work as intended. Now the risk of getting google banned from google everything due to ad blocking is quite a bit smaller. Thanks for the help, thread! iki.fi was formed in 1995 so it has been around longer than most things in Internet. And I don't have to manage it by myself.I have way too many things to manage already as it is...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZU7FcAv-Y

OK, as the owner of a Panasonic Toughpad (Well, two actually), these are so underrated and surprisingly cheap and I am glad someone has covered them.

I have the FZ-G1, 8GB of RAM with a i5-3437U which is obviously not much but more than enough to browse the web, control Spotify, had a great docking station, I use it in my kitchen to view recipes and browse the web while I am cooking and if you get food stuff on it you can literally wash it off in the sink. Fully sunlight readable display, physical hotkeys which when I get around to it will launch the Home Assistant interface, unlocked LTE modem.

If you spend a lot of time cooking/entertaining in your backyard they are so worth the couple of hundred dollars.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The only workstation i need in my back yard is the grill

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZU7FcAv-Y

OK, as the owner of a Panasonic Toughpad (Well, two actually), these are so underrated and surprisingly cheap and I am glad someone has covered them.

I have the FZ-G1, 8GB of RAM with a i5-3437U which is obviously not much but more than enough to browse the web, control Spotify, had a great docking station, I use it in my kitchen to view recipes and browse the web while I am cooking and if you get food stuff on it you can literally wash it off in the sink. Fully sunlight readable display, physical hotkeys which when I get around to it will launch the Home Assistant interface, unlocked LTE modem.

If you spend a lot of time cooking/entertaining in your backyard they are so worth the couple of hundred dollars.

I was just tricked into clicking a LTT video.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I had a Panasonic toughbook y2 back in the day in college.

It wasn’t fully rugged like that one. It was semi rugged, but with its magnesium alloy chassis, it was so light it felt like it was actually hollow.

It had a circular touchpad that you could scroll by moving your finger around in a circle continuously.

It had no fan whatsoever, and simply attached the CPU thermally to the back of the keyboard which connected to the entire chassis for passive cooling.

It weighed about as much as a MacBook Air does now, but this was like in 2005 and it had a 14 inch screen.

7 hours of battery too, it ruled

https://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/Laptop/Panasonic_Toughbook_Y2_Notebook.pdf

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 30, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I had a Panasonic toughbook y2 back in the day in college.

It wasn’t fully rugged like that one. It was semi rugged, but with its magnesium alloy chassis, it was so light it felt like it was actually hollow.

It had a circular touchpad that you could scroll by moving your finger around in a circle continuously.

It had no fan whatsoever, and simply attached the CPU thermally to the back of the keyboard which connected to the entire chassis for passive cooling.

It weighed about as much as a MacBook Air does now, but this was like in 2005 and it had a 14 inch screen.

7 hours of battery too, it ruled

https://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/Laptop/Panasonic_Toughbook_Y2_Notebook.pdf

$4k in 2023 dollars. no wonder it was nice

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Inept posted:

Laptops used to be expensive as all hell.

I just looked up my 14th birthday present, a PowerBook 3400c/240, apparently $5,500 in 1997 dollars. My parents were clearly insane.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Every toughbook I've ever had to use for work, while quite capable for its intended purpose, was an ergonomic nightmare. Just plain uncomfortable to use

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Inept posted:

We got it used on ebay so it was def not retail price.

Owner probably wanted to go to apple or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

c355n4 posted:

I was just tricked into clicking a LTT video.

gently caress that, thanks for the heads up though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been using this for a few years now:

https://www.dwservice.net/

Works pretty good.

This is what I wound up going with and it seems to work really well so far

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Aware posted:

Every toughbook I've ever had to use for work, while quite capable for its intended purpose, was an ergonomic nightmare. Just plain uncomfortable to use

i touched several of them and found the reliability of their serial ports to be pretty bad

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
gently caress’s sake. YouTube in iOS now has an ad right at the top of the home page. And then Shorts of all things.
:shepface:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

gently caress’s sake. YouTube in iOS now has an ad right at the top of the home page. And then Shorts of all things.
Use Safari and this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't wait for sideloading in the EU and the guerilla Youtube frontend apps that'll eventually show up. Not that I ever watch anything on my iPhone, but for the rare occasions.

At this point, given the bullshit Google is generally pulling, especially the fuckery with Chrome (re: MV3 and ad blocking), I hope they'll eventually go down (spoiler: They won't). Can't rely on Firefox, because the CEO is a moron and I wholly expect financial repercussions from Google (i.e. their default search engine deal) for keeping MV2 support up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

Yeah my sub page now has a gigantic Shorts section breaking it up. They’re trying really hard to get a TikTok.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m really hoping the shorts bubble bursts but I’m so out of touch, maybe everyone loves it and somehow makes tons of money doing it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

buglord posted:

I’m really hoping the shorts bubble bursts but I’m so out of touch, maybe everyone loves it and somehow makes tons of money doing it.

I'm sure it's nothing like that but is instead justified by 'growth' and 'watch time' and whatever else they want to use. I know of zero zoomers or millenials that use it, it's all tiktok or still instagram. Anecdotes and all but hey

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
EVERYBODY hates YouTube shorts

YT is gonna continue to push them until they see success, it costs them nothing to do it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

buglord posted:

I think it was earlier this year, LTT started running Shorts a lot because YT was monetizing them very heavily. Plus the production time for them was minimal at best. Then suddenly they stopped making more of them. Linus mentioned that the money they got from them went to almost nothing, so it wasn't worth it, even with the tiny amount of production they had to put in to make them.

This was well before LTT's "reassessment", so maybe YT is pushing them again and has upped the money to be made from them?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shorts is part of why I finally bit the bullet and just got set up for downloading all my YT stuff. On desktop you can just close the shorts box. It only stays that way for 30 days (lol gently caress you google), but it's still better than nothing. But I do most of my watching on my phone while doing house chores or hobby poo poo that I need something in the background, and scrolling past shorts all the time got just annoying enough that, coupled with their ad fuckery, I just said gently caress it and self-host now.

Right now my work flow is that I hit YT maybe once every three days, download all the stuff I care about, and throw it on the Jellyfin box. I know there are ways to automate things further so that the videos get automatically pulled, but I'll need to figure that out on a later day.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I use the Enhancer for Youtube addon on desktop, it has an option to play the shorts like a normal YT video.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unfortunately shorts pushes creators to make their videos in vertical format so even if you unfuck the UI they're still badly formatted on anything other than a phone

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I ended up getting an extension that removes shorts completely and also the one suggested in here that replaces thumbnails with a still from the video itself, on desktop, of course.

I never got used to using youtube on my phone so thankfully I get to avoid all that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s surprising to me that the wiki page for Enshittification doesn’t have a section on YouTube, it definitely qualifies.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

As far as I can tell they're in the 2nd phase of Enshitification (abusing their users) but they're still on good terms with their clients (advertisers) and sadly, they're the best around when it comes to a fair deal with content creators.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

unfortunately shorts pushes creators to make their videos in vertical format so even if you unfuck the UI they're still badly formatted on anything other than a phone

i think that also conversely makes it easier for creators to post to youtube shorts as well as tiktok. it would be nice for youtube to not force the vertical format for shorts, but getting rid of it entirely would be a loss.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Koskun posted:

I think it was earlier this year, LTT started running Shorts a lot because YT was monetizing them very heavily. Plus the production time for them was minimal at best. Then suddenly they stopped making more of them. Linus mentioned that the money they got from them went to almost nothing, so it wasn't worth it, even with the tiny amount of production they had to put in to make them.

This was well before LTT's "reassessment", so maybe YT is pushing them again and has upped the money to be made from them?

I really doubt there's anybody making Shorts that isn't just recycling TikTok content.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I really doubt there's anybody making Shorts that isn't just recycling TikTok content.

I don't think Cathode Ray Dude has a TikTok channel and he does YouTube Shorts.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Civvie11's month of TNT Evilution shorts for April Fools was a pretty novel use of the format.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

There is a Yu-Gi-Oh guy I follow (MBT), who does Shorts on occasion, and I like his thing, he finishes the runtime with a sentence that argues into the first sentence of it, so it loops pretty seamlessly. I'm still not going to watch all of it twice, but it's neat

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A good poster posted:

Civvie11's month of TNT Evilution shorts for April Fools was a pretty novel use of the format.

Only because he was largely making fun of the format while doing it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shorts are loving annoying because I'll get an alert about a new video and its a fuckin short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

Shorts are loving annoying because I'll get an alert about a new video and its a fuckin short.

Shorts are loving annoying because the title will look like something I want to see but it's 110% click bait, every loving time, and if I don't click it I'm wondering if I missed something I wanted to see but when I do click on it I'm just low grade pissed that I did.

JayzTwoCents looking at you.