Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crab Dad posted:

Like someone else mentioned hearsay is not proof.

This isn't a court of law, this is a department store regional manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Safety Dance posted:

This isn't a court of law, this is a department store regional manager.

With the outcome being even worse for Stewart if HR gets a complaint about him harassing workers. What the dumbfuck should have done is inform HR first before dragging in the regional.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

With the outcome being even worse for Stewart if HR gets a complaint about him harassing workers. What the dumbfuck should have done is inform HR first before dragging in the regional.

Not sure if this matters or not, but one of my co-workers told me recently if I ever need to go to HR for something, to contact an HR person that's not in my district. Because the HR people in my district have likely had several meetings with managers over the course of the past few years, and are on a pretty friendly term with them and might not look at something objectively, compared to an HR rep from another district.

Either way, we're supposed to hate Josh because he's written in a way that we're supposed to hate him, just like Holbrook wants us to like Kevin and Kell's family when they're literally murdering people. But it's okay when they do it.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Both scan quality and artwork are getting a bit rough.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait is Val an assistant manager or something?

I wouldn't phrase in like that exactly, but being a feudal knight under a king isn't completely dissimilar.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, back from vacation and playing a bit of catch up.

Crabgrass

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate

Daphne continues to be an incredibly good addition to the strip.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Brut aftershave is the manliest 1970s British smell. Made from purest champagne wine and creosote, it can strip paint off a Kevin Keegan at 50 paces. Only boxer Henry Cooper was strong enough to wear it as cologne.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Have some Ballard Street on the house!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Yeah what do those doctors know? Why should you listen to them, it's not like they went to very expensive and grueling schools to learn how the human body should or should not work.
What the gently caress?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah what do those doctors know? Why should you listen to them, it's not like they went to very expensive and grueling schools to learn how the human body should or should not work.
What the gently caress?

Yeah I didn't want to mention it but that entire strip comes off as really anti-medicine and anti-vaccine. Something I'd think of Jenny loving KidKiller McCarthy to spout.

poo poo, did FOOB ever do anything similar?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God I Don't Give A poo poo About The Upcoming Wedding Arc

I Wish It Was Cat Week And Not...This.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah I didn't want to mention it but that entire strip comes off as really anti-medicine and anti-vaccine. Something I'd think of Jenny loving KidKiller McCarthy to spout.

...vaccines aren't mentioned at all though?

I dunno, I'm probably poisoned by knowledge of the future, having seen later stories that are quite pro-medicine (if sometimes anti-rear end in a top hat-doctor).

It's also a thing that, thanks to affordable healthcare and near-universal coverage, Japanese doctors do tend to err on the side of over-medicating, so "doctor says it's almost certainly nothing serious but let's do this thing just in case" is often read as "that means there's nothing to worry about actually," as it was here. :shrug:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

...vaccines aren't mentioned at all though?

I dunno, I'm probably poisoned by knowledge of the future, having seen later stories that are quite pro-medicine (if sometimes anti-rear end in a top hat-doctor).

It's also a thing that, thanks to affordable healthcare and near-universal coverage, Japanese doctors do tend to err on the side of over-medicating, so "doctor says it's almost certainly nothing serious but let's do this thing just in case" is often read as "that means there's nothing to worry about actually," as it was here. :shrug:

pretty much what the mom is thinking/saying falls under a lot of antivax crap. "oh doctors don't know everything, I'm the mother, I know best!"

and giving a month old baby juice? like, define juice. in the USA it's sugar water with the emphasis on sugar.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Well, yeah, juice is a separate issue, I'm not saying she's a super mom or anything - but here at least there is juice for babies, which is to regular fruit juice as baby food is to regular food - i.e., pretty much just water.

My main point is that bringing post-COVID-pandemic antivax baggage to a strip about someone in a very different social / medical context is perhaps something to be careful of. A doctor saying "blood tests confirm that it's almost certainly nothing, but let's do this extremely disruptive thing anyway just to be sure," in a context where most people have reason to believe that doctors in that situation are indeed likely to be overreacting because insurance will cover the cost of another visit and blood test, is very different from a doctor saying "you need to vaccinate your child against measles or put them at risk of dying, and everything we know about medicine backs me up very strongly" and then deciding you know better and not doing so.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Crab Dad posted:

Turns out every level of this dumb department store company is staffed by goofball comic strip characters that have wacky interactions instead of following actual workplace laws.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

pretty much what the mom is thinking/saying falls under a lot of antivax crap. "oh doctors don't know everything, I'm the mother, I know best!"

and giving a month old baby juice? like, define juice. in the USA it's sugar water with the emphasis on sugar.
Well, I mean, the author also mentions she didn't go to any parenting classes before giving birth and just learned what she needed to learn at the hospital, which is quite a lot, and then adjusted as she needed, like switching to bringing her son into a bigger bath because she was holding him the entire time and it gave her better control than leaning over a tiny baby bath. She's also complained about how painful her breasts got when she couldn't express milk, and it's not like formula is the cheapest.

So with that context, the comic posted today isn't about 'what do doctors know', but her asking for the risks and assessing it and deciding based on that. I really don't think she would have avoided bringing her baby to the hospital if his fever hadn't broken, and she was perfectly fine with her son getting blood tests to see if he had jaundice, it's just that the blood test results were not in line with jaundice. If anything, it feels to me like the joke about first time parents running to doctors for everything, and second-time parents having the experience to assess their baby's health better, except she's confident enough to have skipped past the anxiety.

Basically, I'm not disagreeing that the comic sounds like a dogwhistle in a vacuum, but with the context of stuff so far I don't get that read from it, since she's generally been quite positive about how much she learned from the nurses and doctors at the hospital about newborn care.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Giant Ethicist posted:

Well, yeah, juice is a separate issue, I'm not saying she's a super mom or anything - but here at least there is juice for babies, which is to regular fruit juice as baby food is to regular food - i.e., pretty much just water.

My main point is that bringing post-COVID-pandemic antivax baggage to a strip about someone in a very different social / medical context is perhaps something to be careful of. A doctor saying "blood tests confirm that it's almost certainly nothing, but let's do this extremely disruptive thing anyway just to be sure," in a context where most people have reason to believe that doctors in that situation are indeed likely to be overreacting because insurance will cover the cost of another visit and blood test, is very different from a doctor saying "you need to vaccinate your child against measles or put them at risk of dying, and everything we know about medicine backs me up very strongly" and then deciding you know better and not doing so.
Right, for me I was taking her reaction to that in the context of breast milk buildup being quite painful for her, and the fact that formula is still often pricy and getting a baby to switch to a bottle after they're used to a breast being disruptive, as is switching back. I'm sure she'd have been willing to switch if the blood test confirmed that breastfeeding was causing an issue, but since the blood test indicated he was healthy, it's really a matter of personal comfort, right...?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 3-8, 2004)

Oh hey, this one's in Comic Sans. Didn't notice that last time I went through these.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Val is so loving perfect.

Then there's the Phantom who, I suspect, is getting high off his own farts right now. Wasn't he all "the prophecy is horrible I must change the future!" and now he's "eh whatever."

Saw Savarna in the loincloth, is no longer worried about the new lineage

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Second panel's the perfect leadin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4&t=17s

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Oh so now Jules has a thing against harps.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

So Comics Kingdom is missing the next week of Apartment 3-G so I got them all in one batch.

...she said as she seductively tousled her hair.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 17-19, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (January 30-February 1, 1922; spoilered for the Usual Reasons (adjacent to Tomboy Taylor, which makes it suck harder than usual).)

Dok's Dippy Three Mile Limit (January 3, 1915)

LIttle Lefty, continuing the story of a husband horning in on his wife's hobby. But not before slamming his head against the dangers of capitalism. (July 3-5, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 29, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/22-24/51

Archie 11/11-13/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 11/8-10/51

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol what is this? He ate "two pounds" off the breasts. There's still like 8 lbs of meat there even if you cut around the bites. And he's your kid, you've probably eaten his boogers more than once.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 26, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 26, 1960)

I just want to join the chorus of how great this artwork is; so much detail!

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/6/58

Here's Andrew Kucher and George Walker demonstrating a prototype hover-car in 1959:

I love this, too; if I ever won the lottery I'd probably spend my time trying to physically recreate some of these "future" vehicles even if they won't actually function.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

As borderline loving brainless as every writer that isn't Flash Gordon or Val is seeming to be more often than not, we do not in fact have to give them the benefit of the doubt when they do dumb things.
How is saying they did a dumb thing and will continue to do it giving them the benefit of the doubt? :confused:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

God I Don't Give A poo poo About The Upcoming Wedding Arc

I know lot of poo poo sucks in this comic, but the fact that these are all supposed to be 20-somethings yet still have the same proportions they did as middle schoolers never fails to bother me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BigglesSWE posted:

Have some Ballard Street on the house!

Well, at least I'm happy to say that Ballard Street resonates with me more than Pluggers.

Well, for a given definition of 'happy'.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

fondue posted:

if I ever won the lottery I'd probably spend my time trying to physically recreate some of these "future" vehicles even if they won't actually function.

Hi Elon

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Because marriage counseling didn't exist back then, these guys all have to be killed because Val is frustrated with personal affairs.

To be fair this is what Val likes to do when he's in a good mood also.

I shouldn't even bring this up here, but if Musk actually spent his time being the engineer he pretends to be instead of posting bigoted garbage on Twitter he'd be a lot less unpleasant. Either way he could never build something like that. It has a cute, sleek Jetsons-esque look to it and Musk's preferred aesthetic is more RoboCop.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1960)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Men would seriously rather vanquish every viking in all of england than apologize

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

just go to therapy val

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
imo the woman was probably right to continue feeding her kid breast-milk rather than switching to formula.

For the 60's (?) this dude was SHREDDED
e: and in general much less well-drawn than his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
And that's how the Angles and Saxons were driven forever from England.

Krazy Kat(June 30, 1918)

The Rectangle (Gasoline Alley)(May 4, 1919) spoilered for what could, honestly, be worse, but still.

Reminder that Gasoline Alley takes place in Chicago.

Little Nwmo(November 24, 1907)