Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The biggest thing I would add to 2’s combat would be a bit more leeway to the flashlight boost. Nothing as loose as 1 where even the basic beam helps outside of boss enemies but I missed so many boosts when it felt liked I really shouldn’t have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

for me it's not the combat, although i do think both the regular flashlight and the boost should do a little more damage than they do. it's that the walking segments all go on just past the point where it's slightly annoying, and then on top of that they're padded out even more by incentivizing you to run around everywhere looking for the coffees and manuscript pages. a segment that could take you a few minutes to run through is like a 15-20 minute thing because you have to make sure you aren't missing something somewhere

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I played alan wake 1 right before 2 just to have some context for it, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was still a bit surprised just how bad it is on a blind first impression at this point. granted I wasn't playing the remastered version, but the good parts of the original version struggle to hold up next to the now-dated facial animation, highly unlikable protagonist and the threadbare gameplay consisting of 90% "three guys appear" encounters spaced 15 seconds apart that you solve the exact same way every time. I did like the vibes and seeing how things developed to set up the control AWE content, but for the most part it was one of the only times I've played through a game I actively did not enjoy just for the sake of a different game.

Alan wake 2 is so good that it justified the time and I legitimately did get a better experience from recognizing all the characters and little callbacks to the first game (the subway signs in Alan's chapters having identical text to manuscript pages from 1 for example). just a remarkable game in every way and a standout in a year full of standouts. I loved all the live action scenes like the talk shows, I think the addition of an inventory and more sparse encounters went a long way toward making the gameplay engaging, and I enjoyed the character writing even if most of the story structure definitely went over my head. I am so stoked to see what remedy can do with control 2 at this level of quality.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m playing through Control so I can learn a little more about the setting, and as I’m accumulating more and more power I’m getting increasingly excited about how the combat in AWE might play out. Late game Alan and Saga have two more bullets in their guns and heal slightly more from bandages, whereas late game Jesse Faden is the answer to the timeless question “what if Jean Grey had a gun?”. Really looking forward to flying through the woods and telekinetically slamming Taken directly into trees before evaporating them with my psychic shotgun.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Remedy should release a Alan Wake 2 gaiden DLC where Jesse shows up to fight the denizens of the dark place by hurling 100 lb. chunks of concrete at near sonic speeds.

it'd probably last about 20 minutes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

blastron posted:

I’m playing through Control so I can learn a little more about the setting, and as I’m accumulating more and more power I’m getting increasingly excited about how the combat in AWE might play out. Late game Alan and Saga have two more bullets in their guns and heal slightly more from bandages, whereas late game Jesse Faden is the answer to the timeless question “what if Jean Grey had a gun?”. Really looking forward to flying through the woods and telekinetically slamming Taken directly into trees before evaporating them with my psychic shotgun.

Keep your hopes in check, both the Control DLCs are mediocre and AWE was my least favorite of the two. AWE's gameplay and setting are basically the same as the base game

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Remedy should release a Alan Wake 2 gaiden DLC where Jesse shows up to fight the denizens of the dark place by hurling 100 lb. chunks of concrete at near sonic speeds.

it'd probably last about 20 minutes.

The Taken sure but the Dark Presence has proven itself pretty good at hurling large things.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kibayasu posted:

The Taken sure but the Dark Presence has proven itself pretty good at hurling large things.

jesse defeated (???) an extradimensional meme im sure she can beat a big cranky tornado

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jesse has access to an accessibility menu with a "one-shot enemies" option, of *course* she can defeat the Dark Presence

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jesse can solve any problem where "violence" is an applicable solution, but I don't think The Dark Presence is in that category.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jesse can take on all the shadows and super taken but remember any time she encounters the astral orbs that look exactly like the dark prescence does in aw2's dark world she dies in one hit

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the question is less whether the dark presence can threaten jesse, its about whether it threatens the oldest house. ahti could probably seal away the dark presence with a snap but he's an old school norse god that likes giving people quests instead

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SirSamVimes posted:

Jesse can solve any problem where "violence" is an applicable solution, but I don't think The Dark Presence is in that category.

She can just apply more violence until it works

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jesse has access to an accessibility menu with a "one-shot enemies" option, of *course* she can defeat the Dark Presence

Lol, I love they added those options.

I beat the base game normal but completely ignored the mold story lines (and like half the "go do an emotional story quest for your coworker" missions if they weren't required) and when I went back to do the DLC's to get ready for AW2 just flipped the "One Shot kill" and "can't die" settings on because gently caress it, I just want the story.

Very fun to watch Hartman try to be menacing and then just get popped as soon as the cutscene ends. Or some eldritch being flex and set up a very well designed and complicated danger room to try and kill me and I just stand there tanking it all till the weakspot shows up.

Honestly, that short playthrough made me realize that I really don't like how Remedy does combat, but not in a mechanical sense. Control has good combat, don't get me wrong, and AW2's is also fun (when the engine isn't fighting me more than the monsters). It just kinda ends up working in opposition to the story.

In Control, my favorite parts were the puzzles and challenges with the OoP or Altered Items that didn't center around just shooting it with the right weapon. Most were at least entertaining for the short stint they stuck around, and a lot were actually really engrossing and fun. Like I couldn't die and could kill anything with a health bar in one hit, but then there were these things that I had to deal with that were like "I don't loving care, I have my own rules" and that fit so much better with the world of Control than building myself up into this psychic powerhouse with a super gun that just shreds through enemies (even without the cheats on).

Same with AW2. My favorite parts are where I didn't need to worry about comboing stuff correctly or running out of ammo, but in figuring out what the world needed me to change or figure out to progress. It's the same problem that Resident Evil ran into with their story and gameplay (which they tried to correct with the pseudo reboot in 7 and 8 and immediately fell back into). You end up with a character that's just too powerful to really feel the gravity of the story they're telling. And before anyone says it, just upping the difficulty doesn't fix that because your character in the story, even if the gameplay is harder on you, is still going to be that powerful gun slinger mowing down otherworldly entities with the power lead and explosions.

Spoiler for late game Saga: Like when you fight Scratch in the Sherriff's office parking lot. You have to set up the FBC's special equipment (good, great start!), Scratch is trying to stop you (Ok, of course, still fun), you stop him long enough to let you flip some switches by shooting him in the face with a shotgun (uuuugghhhhh). Mechanically it's fine. You can fight him in other ways than that if you want with flares and bottles of gas, and mechanically it's a good fight. But narratively it's a little lack luster to me. Why the gently caress does literal Satan who can teleport through anything and shapeshift into anyone, and fly, and be a literal evil super tornado, etc etc etc give a gently caress that I shot him with a gun?

The story is so good, but I can't help but feel that the team in charge of combat and encounters were almost making a completely separate game from the story team. The one level where both were in perfect sync was The Herald of Darkness Rock Opera.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think for control 2 Sam should push even further into the musical sequences by, instead of having combat while watching a dance number, you just straight up participate in them parappa the rappa style

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

site posted:

I think for control 2 Sam should push even further into the musical sequences by, instead of having combat while watching a dance number, you just straight up participate in them parappa the rappa style

This is something I would absolutely love conceptually and hate to play, because I don't like playing rhythm games at all. Spider-Man 2 just did something like that for a few minutes on a side mission, which worked great thematically and visually, but the whole time I was admiring it I was also thinking "...but can I just be done with it yet?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just make a game length musical like you clearly want to.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the history of the Old Gods of Asgard, as presented as a power metal musical

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hell as long as we're wishing id like brendon small to be involved in the musical somehow

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is something I would absolutely love conceptually and hate to play, because I don't like playing rhythm games at all. Spider-Man 2 just did something like that for a few minutes on a side mission, which worked great thematically and visually, but the whole time I was admiring it I was also thinking "...but can I just be done with it yet?"

Yeah honestly you're right because We Sing is apparently the very definition of love it or hate it as it is lol. I just can't help but imagine Jesse stuck in a dance number, camera focused on her very confused and distressed face while her internal monologue is like "whaaaat the gently caress is happening"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

site posted:

Yeah honestly you're right because We Sing is apparently the very definition of love it or hate it as it is lol. I just can't help but imagine Jesse stuck in a dance number, camera focused on her very confused and distressed face while her internal monologue is like "whaaaat the gently caress is happening"

daylight come and me wan' go home

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesse’s dance number was the ashtray maze.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Had a fun glitch (maybe) in the Hotel level that I'm still running off of well through the late game. One of the supply drops had flares in it, but as I was taking stuff out I only had room for 1 of the stack. Ran over to a safe room and dropped some in the shoebox to grab the rest, and then it just put two full stacks of 3 into my available inventory slots and still showed more in the supply drop.

Repeat for a few minutes and I ended up with like 20 flares in my shoebox and 12 in my inventory. And even now it's like glitching when I try to move the flares around to get other items or more items and I'll have like 6 in my inventory but it shows 11 on the HUD when I pull out the flaregun. Glad the game glitched in my favor there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kibayasu posted:

Jesse’s dance number was the ashtray maze.

This was actually Jesse Faden in "Swift Platform"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This was actually Jesse Faden in "Swift Platform"

Oh yeah, and it sucked :v:

Ok, that's harsh, but it's one of those things that's awesome style-wise, but then I'm ready to throw my controller through the TV by the dozenth attempt. Any more, I just automatically turn on invincibility and one-shot kills at the start, just to power through it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t hate it but it was also obviously trying to be the ashtray maze except on 1/100th of the budget so it just felt cheap.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I beat it. I liked it quite a bit. I liked the first game but didn't like Control so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was surprised how well seeing the actual actors worked. It made be believe I was controlling Alan the person when controlling the video game version.

I think it lost steam over time though.

starting around the point where you go to the nursing home, which ends with your goal as "find wake" which you already knew. I didn't like any of the FBC crap, proper nouns, containment units, whatever. Wish Saga and Casey just came up with a plan themselves. If you're going to use the 'inept but well funded government agency suddenly shows up' horror trope, the whole point is to show them getting comically massacred by the monsters but that happens off screen! Then the ending made things a bit better.

I wish we got to see more of Logan and possibly David, maybe more doubting reality on Saga's part. Since I didn't know Logan, it was harder to be concerned if she was dead or not. Compare that to Alice which works really well.

Also something I still don't get:

the cult were good guys all along? I like the idea that poo poo had been bad for the past 13 years but was handled by a bunch of small business owners, but the execution is nonsense. Many of the taken wear deer masks, which naturally made me believe I had been actively fighting the cult the whole time. What the hell is that about? Then there's all the stuff about the other cult in Alan's parts... even if it's just Scratch that fucks up the theater, what about stuff like the burned train?? And in Scratch's ending everyone is wearing deer masks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ultrachrist posted:

the cult were good guys all along? I like the idea that poo poo had been bad for the past 13 years but was handled by a bunch of small business owners, but the execution is nonsense. Many of the taken wear deer masks, which naturally made me believe I had been actively fighting the cult the whole time. What the hell is that about? Then there's all the stuff about the other cult in Alan's parts... even if it's just Scratch that fucks up the theater, what about stuff like the burned train?? And in Scratch's ending everyone is wearing deer masks.

The deer cultists you fight as Saga were people that got taken over by the dark presence while they were trying to fight it.

Apparently 3 years after Alan's disappearance a cult dedicated to him did commit some murders in NYC, and the real Alex Casey did investigate them back then. It's unclear if the murders in Alan's section were the ones that the cult did in real life.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Also something I still don't get:

the cult of the tree are a glorified neighborhood watch who were capable of snuffing out the occasional taken here and there but got snatched up en masse when the dark presence really flared up. alan's "cult of the word" is separate from ilmo's cult, but since time and causality get so wonky around the dark place it's likely that one influenced the other and impossible to tell where that influence started

the deer masks are for deerfest, which lends to the cult of the tree's cheapness (since those masks are handed out like confetti around bright falls, ilmo went for the characteristically bargain-basement option for his disguises)

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 29, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Taken wearing deer masks are I assume cult members that were, uh, taken while fighting the Dark Presence after they failed to properly kill Taken-Nightingale. They’re now fighting you. That’s deliberate so it wasn’t wrong to think you’re fighting the cult all along. The parts in Alan’s story serve to reinforce that but I assumed that stuff didn’t actually happen as written. I know real-Casey talks about a real murder cult in NYC but I doubt what turns out to be a community watch group in Washington state took trips to NYC to do some ritual murder.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I got the impression that the Cult of the Word in NYC and the Cult of the Tree in Bright Falls were unrelated but both originated from Alan's writing. IIRC there's a note somewhere that mentions that the former's murders stopped around when the latter became active. The Cult of the Word's real-life murders are the result of your flailing around in the Dark Place during the hotel chapter, and then at some later/earlier point in the time spiral Alan writes the Return manuscript and the cult idea gets redirected into the more benign Cult of the Tree.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

I got the impression that the Cult of the Word in NYC and the Cult of the Tree in Bright Falls were unrelated but both originated from Alan's writing. IIRC there's a note somewhere that mentions that the former's murders stopped around when the latter became active. The Cult of the Word's real-life murders are the result of your flailing around in the Dark Place during the hotel chapter, and then at some later/earlier point in the time spiral Alan writes the Return manuscript and the cult idea gets redirected into the more benign Cult of the Tree.

Yeah, I think that's right since you can find a manuscript page (in the lighthouse iirc) where Alan has written Ilmo coming up with the idea of the cult to fight Taken.

But then at the same time, the Cult of the Tree were being overcome and turned into Taken because Alan was also writing them as one of the murder cults for his book in some parts. So the Dark Presence was doing what it could to make that fiction into reality, even though it's contradictory to what Alan wrote as their Origins. Probably because he's writing multiple versions of the plot that are wrapping around themselves in the time spiral.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 29, 2023

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Cult of the Tree are a bunch of scrubs who should have just let Rose deal with everything. She was out there doing the real work to protect the town.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rose was so good in this game, I'm glad they gave her a bigger part

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Speaking of, do y'all think that Rose was getting those messages from the Future Alan from the phone call or from Alice?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm on a sick leave and am having an impossibl good time. I'm glad I bought this game. I thought after 13 years the draw of Alan Wake (once my fav video game) would be tarnished but I am so loving into this poo poo. It made me remember games can make me happy

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rxvrvWkKg0

shoutout to this loving bug though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scary music = tension
More scary music = more tension
ALL SCARY MUSIC = ALL THE TENSION

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey, who let Hans Zimmer on set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I got that bug! Didn’t realize it was a bug until the cutscene