Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I am hyped for the Denver Houston game and the sf phi game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Nervous posted:

Say all four HC jobs open up in the NFC South. What's the worst four replacements that will be available?

The third time is when Josh McDaniels will finally get it right. Pinky promise.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
My heart wants Campbell to win but it's Demeco's to lose

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

AndrewP posted:

it was only really bad in 2022 with an extremely toast Matt Ryan. 11th in DVOA in 2021 with Carson Palmer, 10th in 2020 with Phil Rivers. Hardly the disaster he's being made out to be now

God, I wish.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Steichen deserves to be in the COTY discussion. He has largely the same team as last year with a worse defense and the only real change has been having Richardson for a few games then Minshew for the rest.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Anderson Koopa posted:

I was playing around with the ESPN Playoff Scenario Generator. This image might make some of you happy or mad. I'm particularly proud of the AFC side of things.

Hypothetically, what would be the worst possible record a team could have and still win the division? And thus get into the playoffs? This assumes the entire division is awful.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Internet Savant posted:

Hypothetically, what would be the worst possible record a team could have and still win the division? And thus get into the playoffs? This assumes the entire division is awful.

0-14-3 is the lower bound and you need multiple tiebreakers to go your way, though I think there's a really esoteric scenario where you go 0-15-2.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Internet Savant posted:

1-10-6 with every other team in the division going 0-11-6. every divisional game is a tie and the divisional winner wins a game outside of the division. The divisional winner could also win an in-division game with one team in the division going 0-12-5. not that I have put much thought into this

e: I guess the above solution has a worse team win the division through the magic of tiebreakers. should’ve thought more about this.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

a patagonian cavy posted:

1-10-6 with every other team in the division going 0-11-6. every divisional game is a tie and the divisional winner wins a game outside of the division. The divisional winner could also win an in-division game with one team in the division going 0-12-5. not that I have put much thought into this

e: I guess the above solution has a worse team win the division through the magic of tiebreakers. should’ve thought more about this.

I didn't even consider ties...
It looks like a realistic possibility is 4-13 or 5-12?
Win the majority of division games and then everyone else is dreadful and somehow much worse.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Jon Bois did a Breaking Madden on this once - The Quest for a 4-12 playoff team.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jon Bois did a Breaking Madden on this once - The Quest for a 4-12 playoff team.

A few years ago when the NFC East was absolute dogshit the Giants actually had a chance to win the division with 4 wins while the year was about 4 weeks out due to how the divisional games lined up. It didn't happen, but we still almost got the 6-10 division winner but the Eagles threw the game against Washington and instead we got the 7-9 division winner.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

fartknocker posted:

If there is a better moment in the history of the Houston Texans, I don't know if it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

3-13-1 or 0-10-7 at 3.5 wins would be the lowest outright winner. Either all teams split or tie in division and lose all other games except 1 that gets a tie.

The 3-17/0-11-6 4 way tie would be the worst possible record since someone has to win the 4 way tiebreaker.

You can't get lower than 3 wins since someone has to win the games so anything other than an even split would have someone having a better record.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jeff Fisher looks like some fuckin car dealership owner took a wrong turn looking for the can in his corporate box and wandered onto the field without anybody stopping him

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Febreeze posted:

A few years ago when the NFC East was absolute dogshit the Giants actually had a chance to win the division with 4 wins while the year was about 4 weeks out due to how the divisional games lined up. It didn't happen, but we still almost got the 6-10 division winner but the Eagles threw the game against Washington and instead we got the 7-9 division winner.

didn't Seattle get in as the first division winner with a losing record, and then had the BeastQuake game?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah they hosted an 11-5 Saints team that weren't exactly thrilled about the whole.thing iirc

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Saints making the playoffs only to lose in an insane game? That doesn't sound right

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Is there some kind of weird rule that the networks have to promote Sunday Night Football? I swear three different times during the Eagles/Bills OT they mentioned SNF. To the point that me and the wife checked the time and it was like barely 8PM and the kickoff wasn't till 8:22 anyway.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

syzpid posted:

Is there some kind of weird rule that the networks have to promote Sunday Night Football? I swear three different times during the Eagles/Bills OT they mentioned SNF. To the point that me and the wife checked the time and it was like barely 8PM and the kickoff wasn't till 8:22 anyway.

There usually is some sort of mention of the day's lineup, but its usually a quick generic graphic and non-announcer voice over that takes like 5 seconds.

I don't recall annoucers.doing it so much as Nantz was doing it, so I wonder if it's because that game went long and CBS didn't have time for the usual post game show.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

MD2020 posted:

There usually is some sort of mention of the day's lineup, but its usually a quick generic graphic and non-announcer voice over that takes like 5 seconds.

I don't recall annoucers.doing it so much as Nantz was doing it, so I wonder if it's because that game went long and CBS didn't have time for the usual post game show.

Yeah, even if it's not a rule, it's probably an inter-network courtesy to make up for the game eating into the ratings for NBC's pregame show.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kyle Shanahan should win COY because he's the best coach in the league and runs the best program head to toe, despite getting his coaches and front office picked clean every year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All I know is if the Chargers lose to the Pats Staley should be fired that day. Enough

edit: Also if the Chargers win it's the first time Bill's lost to them since Bush was in office

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Looks like that article was a little too omniscient

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

Kyle Shanahan should win COY because he's the best coach in the league and runs the best program head to toe, despite getting his coaches and front office picked clean every year.

Kyle Shanahan never met a 4th and short he didn't punt on

Coward poo poo year after year

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kyle Shanahan never met a 4th and short he didn't punt on

Coward poo poo year after year

Thank you Ben Baldwin for your very good measure of good coaching.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Looks like that article was a little too omniscient

I read that in Cris Collinsworth's voice

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/eagles/status/1729877884075147372?s=46

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Thank you DJax for the greatest non-Super Bowl moment in Eagles history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-4XxkOnqs

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Docjowles posted:

Saints making the playoffs only to lose in an insane game? That doesn't sound right

:smith:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Black Lighter posted:

Thank you DJax for the greatest non-Super Bowl moment in Eagles history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-4XxkOnqs
Classic. This was also excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VYsVtC9C38&t=10s

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/benjaminsolak/status/1729879288697241934

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The Spanos' having no problems spending in FA but being cheap with coaches makes no sense. Coaching salary is a rounding error compared to player payroll. Is it just a philosophy thing to go cheap there?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

Tepper is right about the way coaching staffs are built tbh.

I think there's probably a compromise between a coach hiring all his best buddies, or assembling a Voltron style staff that actually has completely different philosophies.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Spanos' having no problems spending in FA but being cheap with coaches makes no sense. Coaching salary is a rounding error compared to player payroll. Is it just a philosophy thing to go cheap there?

Isn't there a salary floor that forces Spanos to have to shell out a certain amount for players. He seems like the kind of owner who would be fine tossing scrubs out there on minimum contracts to lose as long as the ticket and merch sales kept rolling in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nervous posted:

Isn't there a salary floor that forces Spanos to have to shell out a certain amount for players. He seems like the kind of owner who would be fine tossing scrubs out there on minimum contracts to lose as long as the ticket and merch sales kept rolling in.

The Ringer article goes into it, but the Chargers were Top 5 in cash spending last year. They legit pay for players

JC Jackson lmao

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
the chargers are karmically doomed to failure until they move back to san diego.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I don't think San Diego worked out too well last time. Maybe they just roam California, perpetually trying to find the right home. Sacramento next?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

elime anning posted:

the chargers are karmically doomed to failure until they move back to san diego.

If Spanos goes back there he's getting mugged in broad daylight and people will go out of their way to say they saw nothing

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Owners tend to have personal philosophies on coaching candidates. Outside of trading for Bill Parcells, and I guess elevating Belichick, the only guy the Jets have ever hired with previous HC experience was Adam Gase.

Gase, not so coincidentally enough was the only offensive guy hired. Everyone else was defense aligned. Gase was also hired by Woody's brother while he was in London putzing around for a few years so he barely counts.

If we fired Saleh, I'm sure we'd just hire **spins wheel** Mike Macdonald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Black Lighter posted:

Coughlin slamming his clipboard as Jackson runs by him will never fail to make me laugh.