Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jinnigan posted:

im reinstalling three kingdoms after not touching it since release. any important DLCs or mods i should get?

Aside from collecting all the obvious FreeLC lords...

- Yellow Turbans if you want to give them a shot (they are balls hard campaigns)
- World Betrayed basically only if you want to play as Lu Bu
- Mandate of Heaven is like the One alternate start that does anything truly interesting.

Everything else is pretty easy to skip IMO. Almost all of the new interesting faction stuff they added post launch (Sun Ce) is baked in for free, you don't have to start as him on the alternate date to get any of his new faction stuff - and Sun Jian can kick it exceptionally early on the standard start date anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Nanman rule and get elephants

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In terms of mods if you have not played since release there isn't any need for mods that change gameplay stuff, since there is already going to be a lot of new features to dig into.

However I recommend a few mods that add more unique character art, characters with personality are more fun. I made this collection on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2976208392

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Captain Beans posted:

In terms of mods if you have not played since release there isn't any need for mods that change gameplay stuff, since there is already going to be a lot of new features to dig into.

However I recommend a few mods that add more unique character art, characters with personality are more fun. I made this collection on steam.

hell yeah. thats the good stuff

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TjyvTompa posted:

I agree about the court system, the bonuses are just very small and insignificant. For the sea peoples I just disabled them in the campaign settings, it also makes the AI a bit more competent since they dont get completely destroyed by them every 10-15 turns.

:same: I'm about to restart and just do this, because constantly getting raided by stacks of sea people means that I'm overburdened with poo poo stacks of troops that I have going just to keep my towns intact. I'm trying to invade some areas to capture land to build the wonders and my coastal cities are just getting repeatedly burned down by these assholes.

Not to mention the outposts, of course, which aren't defensible and more often than not they just get swept away. They're not expensive to put back up, but it's really drat annoying to have to do it all the time.

The sea people rolling up with tier 5 units is annoying partially because I just have to overwhelm them with mid tier stuff (not too difficult), but also because I really can't build the cool units without going continually renewing fifteen trade agreements because one higher level unit practically uses a province's worth of bronze by themselves.

E. Admittedly I'm also not using the waystations nor sending units by water routes as much as I could. You really need to keep the buffs from outposts going, especially the movement and upkeep ones.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 12, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why not just bail on those settlements, or let someone else take them over and trade with them?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Decided to try and get into Rome 2, and wonder if there are any good tips for how to play this poo poo because last time I tried I made it to like turn 10. I basically got into TW with Warhammer 2, although I actually played the OG Medieval around its launch for about 10-15 hours. Don't remember poo poo though!

My big issue is not only is there basically no explanation for what I want to be doing on campaign (how the building system works, how politics work, how do characters work, etc etc) but I also didn't feel like I got much feedback on what I was doing either. Part of it might be because I put the AI to normal to learn the ropes but literally nothing was happening in my turns. My enemies weren't attacking at all, and barely put up a fight. No faction wanted to do any diplomacy. The politics screen felt opaque and didn't seem like I could interact with much as I recall. I couldn't afford many units so I felt like I was just sitting around and waiting for my settlements to upgrade and trying to figure out how to balance my food and gold until I decided I had enough and quit.

Another smaller issue I had was not having any idea what makes units good or bad. Like I've never really experienced a TW game with generals or 1HP units before and what that does to battles. This feels a lot less painful to just learn by playing though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Rome 2 is the definition of complexity for complexity's sake - a lot of 'options' are mostly fluff. In terms of buildings there's always a single correct choice among the economic/cultural/entertainment buildings.
Like all pre-3K titles, diplomacy is non-functional and best ignored outside of trade agreements. The AI will always declare on you the moment it's feasible so alliances are pointless.
Politics is a pretty simple system covered in layers and layers of cruft - you have your party and you want it to have as much power as possible. To achieve this you hire your party members as generals and do stuff with them and you never hire your opponents'. Sending people in diplomatic missions to get party loyalty is a good way to get freebies though there's a risk they may get you into a war lol

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, I had the impression a lot of it was kind of superficially complex.

I ended up trying out DEI with a Seleucids campaign and I'm actually enjoying it a lot more. It's still overly complex but at least DEI has guides if I need to reference something on occasion. Ironically a lot of the stuff that I'm wondering about is STILL just base game things! At least a lot of the stuff that seemed like bloat without purpose in the main game is actually somewhat engaging now, like having actual reasons not to pump influence too high. But best of all, things are actually happening on the campaign map!

Certainly a very different experience from the TWWH games, but that serves me well while I wait for mods to get updated for TWW3's latest patch.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Internal politics systems tend to be busywork and TW's attempts to include them have simply been coattail-riding off of CK, and they're hardly the only strategy game developer to have tried it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It’s definitely very breakable, but I actually enjoy the Rome 2 politics a lot as a system to play unoptimally but the way the designers intended. It’s usually possible enough to appease the parties so you only get rebellions occasionally, and it means that when you do you can have some actually pretty engaging civil wars.
My favorite battle I’ve had in the entire franchise was when the party that had my territory in North Africa revolted and I had to do an amphibious invasion on a fully upgraded Carthage-city with actually sensibly organized stacks defending it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After playing Rome 2 for a while I have two questions
- The patrol stance says it gives +4% replenishment, but I see no difference when switching to it. Does it not recalculate until you end the turn?
- Is there a way to change what political faction is in control of a province?

As mentioned I play DEI, but dunno if that touches either of these two.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm a Warhammer guy, and I picked up Fall of the Samurai on the Steam sale because it was super cheap and I'm looking for something new. It's my first historical TW game and I gotta admit, I'm hella lost. Is there a good guide for Warhammer players looking to move into the historical games?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fall of the Samurai is a good place to start because it also has wizards, they're just renamed "Armstrong Guns"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

wedgie deliverer posted:

I'm a Warhammer guy, and I picked up Fall of the Samurai on the Steam sale because it was super cheap and I'm looking for something new. It's my first historical TW game and I gotta admit, I'm hella lost. Is there a good guide for Warhammer players looking to move into the historical games?

I’ve generally found the Warhammer series to have broad commonality with the historical games, and play similarly to the Cathay Empire. Without big heroes and powerful magic to rely on, there’s more need to focus on maneuver and unit counters.

Start by identifying a defendable core of 3-5 provinces that ideally contain a Blacksmith and Iron. Build a small army of Spear Levies, defeat your initial enemy, and construct a Cadet School at your chosen military hub. Early battles can be won by routing enemies with spear levies (though battles must be fought manually), and later ones by forcing enemies to march into your line infantry. Expand as you are able, selling Military Access (20 years) to neighbors and maintaining trade. Build Markets and Craft Workshops to fuel your economy. Alliances and Vassals are unreliable before Realm Divide and can easily lead to wars / dishonor, so avoid them as much as possible (but be a friendly neighbor and never loot or threaten). If a neighboring faction member has no enemies to attack, they will switch sides in order to expand into you - do what you can to prevent anyone from growing too large.

Construct two or three small armies composed of line Infantry, levies, and a set of artillery. Keeping your military strength up and reducing contacts is key to avoiding attacks by enemies across Japan. Build two fleets of Kasugas, later upgrading to foreign ships or Kotetsus (if you have Iron) and use them to defend naval chokepoints. Construct military ports to defend your coasts, and protect them with gun boats that can entice attackers into battling the port defenses; these boats can also be used to rapidly transport armies by repeatedly transferring them from boat to boat. Recruit all your agents and use them to halt enemy armies and attack other agents. In particular you’ll want to protect your Daimyo while still allowing him to gain rank (to avoid Delusions of Grandeur in your other commanders). Expand your borders and grow your economy until you are prepared to trigger Realm Divide (you’ll want to afford at least two large armies and several fleets). Be prepared for allies to betray you - controlling the entire map, even if it means causing revolts and defeating faction members, is the reliable path to control of Japan.

American allies are better than French, which are better than the British. Improved artillery accuracy is decisive, whereas naval accuracy is already sufficient and rifle accuracy is easy to train. The US ironclads are affordable and flexible, while the French ironclads are less so and the single British ironclad not at all. Each of the marines have excellent accuracy but the US has the least vulnerability to melee attacks, followed by the British and then the French.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

Anything in particular you're having trouble with? On mobile at the moment but something to keep in mind is that Shogun 2 is the last game of that TW generation (so you get units being able to move without a general on the campaign map, basically non-existent garrisons, stats being oddly useless despite being shown to you, provincial features being areas on the map, etc.) while the Warhammer titles are closer to the Rome 2 blueprint

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Really I think the main points from Warhammer are as follows:

1. Generals should be kept safe, they aren't wrecking machines like in Warhammer and are best used as buff-givers to units.
2. You can move units without a general and you can and should, since they have to walk to your armies when recruited instead of instantly popping.
3. Agents are significantly more powerful although they cost a lot more money to use. Keep track of them and clear out enemy ones ASAP.
4. Personally I hate naval combat but you should spend at least some money on boats to autoresolve if nothing else to keep your trade routes clear and to stop the enemy from landing on your shores, which the AI does like to do.
5. Your economy takes a long time to build, and a lot more investment than Warhammer; really at the beginning you should be sticking with cheap traditional troops for the most part since guns are terrible early. One or two units of Katana Kachi early in a castle can hold off a huge amount of troops if they do not bring any good melee troops of their own.
6. Artillery is king of the battlefield once you start getting Parrott guns, although expensive. Wooden cannons are worthless.
7. Should make it a priority to grab a blacksmith/gunsmith early and do the majority of your recruitment from there.
8. Anybody near you is generally unreliable even if you're their ally, although the emperor / shogun mechanic makes it a bit more predictable.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Booted up Empire for the first time in over a decade as France.

Got so tired of constant rebellions and Scottish invasions in England that I gave it to the Cherokee in exchange for peace . Somehow they haven't had any rebellions despite dismantling literally every building in the country and the Scots don't care at all.

I'm starting to suspect the AI gets some advantages.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wedgie deliverer posted:

The imperial faction that starts out with 2 provinces on Kyushu is a good starter faction, let's you start snowballing faster and gives you more leeway to mess around

Gun levies suck, avoid using them.
Spear levies are useful throughout the game, they can 1v1 any cavalry unit, can charge through a volley of fire from gun levies and rout them in melee, and even through a volley from line infantry and tie them up for a while even if they lose
Line infantry are good additions to your army but until you get other modern units to round them out +province buffs they're best used to supplement your army rather than make up most of it

Naval is strange because I think it's fun but it's betrayed by the map mechanics and the ais inability to keep up on tech. That said it's worth building a fleet to follow your armies around as naval bombardment is dope as hell

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gun levies have one job - being a support unit in your garrisons for fort defense until you can start reliably replacing them with actual rifle infantry.

1) You want to be able to take pot shots at approaching enemy units as much as possible until the enemy is able to start returning fire, at which point you get the gently caress away from the walls with them. (move in spear levies once the enemy starts climbing the walls, you want to be there to intercept them while they're dispersed, but don't want to take unnecessary fire)
2) You spread them in a line as thin as possible, and set them to hold formation and fire at will at a distance from the wall. Two units forming a wide V does a surprisingly decent job of picking off enemies with gunfire without being forced into melee all at once.

You still want the brunt of the defensive fighting to be done by spear levies, but without the gun levies, even a single good unit of melee kachi can spell disaster for your spears.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Agean90 posted:

The imperial faction that starts out with 2 provinces on Kyushu is a good starter faction, let's you start snowballing faster and gives you more leeway to mess around

Spear levies are useful throughout the game, they can 1v1 any cavalry unit, can charge through a volley of fire from gun levies and rout them in melee, and even through a volley from line infantry and tie them up for a while even if they lose
Line infantry are good additions to your army but until you get other modern units to round them out +province buffs they're best used to supplement your army rather than make up most of it

Naval is strange because I think it's fun but it's betrayed by the map mechanics and the ais inability to keep up on tech. That said it's worth building a fleet to follow your armies around as naval bombardment is dope as hell

Adding to this, if you want to play for the Shogunate then Sendai at the other end of the map is great fun. They automatically reduce siege times so you can be tactically defensive and strategically offensive even when storming castles. Also you're right by Sado Island with its gold mine that is the end of your financial concerns.

Lastly, if you want to go republic then you can dove straight into Hokkaido beforehand and permanently secure your flank.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

my dad posted:

Gun levies have one job - being a support unit in your garrisons for fort defense until you can start reliably replacing them with actual rifle infantry.

Good points. Gun levies are also useful later in the game because they are the cheapest source of military public order. You can plunk down a garrison unit into a recently conquered city, and have them keep everyone in line until the unrest cools down.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Three Kingdoms is the best and I'm devastated we didn't get literally hundreds of characters.

E: yes the mods fix this a lot.

Captain Beans posted:

How would this collection work with TROM/TUP. Would you just swap them in place of MTU? I haven't played "vanilla" 3K in a long time.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 29, 2023

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Agean90 posted:

It took me a few bad starts to realise that gun levy are almost worthless. I couldn't figure out why gun stocked peasants were so much less effective than spear armed peasants.

I should re-download.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how in Empire occupying five or so islands is enough to fully eliminate the problem of Carribbean piracy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like how in Empire occupying five or so islands is enough to fully eliminate the problem of Carribbean piracy.

I started a new game of Empire last night, and I'm just waiting for the United Provinces to fall over for the pirates to re-emerge. Also, I'm on turn 30 and the Maratha blob has already conquered half of India despite me giving every new military tech I discover and any spare coin to the Mughal empire to stall them out. I've also taken 12 of the 20 available trade hubs, so I'm rolling in it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are the Marathas supposed to easily conquer the Mughals and Ottomans and then start invading the New World?

They took Newfoundland.

I think I might need to switch over to Napoleon total war for my musket needs because this is getting pretty silly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They don’t care about your sick men

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are the Marathas supposed to easily conquer the Mughals and Ottomans and then start invading the New World?

They took Newfoundland.

I think I might need to switch over to Napoleon total war for my musket needs because this is getting pretty silly.

I've just started a new game of Empire as Britain, and am currently in turn 36. Despite my best efforts and funnelling them 500 gold a turn the Mughal Empire is down to five provinces in India. They held their own for a dozen turns but then it's just turned into a failure cascade and even if I decided to give them the 13000 gold a turn I'm making I doubt they would hold out for much longer (I managed to occupy 16 of the 20 available trade nodes as soon as the pirates died and it was safe for me to grab them). As for me, Spain wiped out the United Provinces in turn 4 so I had a third pirate region to conquer, but on the other hand I managed to nab Dutch Guyana and also Ceylon, so when the inevitable ground war in India comes, I have a decent base to strike from. Spain are gobbling up random Native American regions, while the United States have emerged so there could be some fun in the North American theatre soon

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

A Perfect Twist posted:

It took me a few bad starts to realise that gun levy are almost worthless. I couldn't figure out why gun stocked peasants were so much less effective than spear armed peasants.

I should re-download.

It's overstated a bit, honestly. Gun levies kinda stuck in field fights, but that's where they should suck. They're mostly cheap castle defense units and even then, they exist to sit down on your lower walls, then when the enemy starts climbing up, they fall back under the second line of walls with actual rifle infantry on top. Chuck em in guard mode and the double line of guns will actually rout most units before they can really fight you.

But yeah, typically the best way to fight early is to abuse terrain and actual good melee units (Katana samurai still gently caress) until you get to the stage of the game where you get kneel fire. Then you basically can play every battle on fast forward after setting up a line of kneeling line infantry. If you're on a map with even a slight hill you can abuse that for "kneel fire-ish" output as the unit behind will fire as well.

My last game ended with me using railways to ship trained line infantry made in a province with a gunsmith (+20 accuracy) and a firing range (+15 accuracy) + whatever the foreign vet trained them up to by the time i remembered to ship em out. They'd comfortably beat elite units, you can put a few of them in every settlement because they're cheap and they'll more than pull their weight in every fight.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah don't underestimate katana kachi, they will roll up most modern units in the game without much issue if you can get them into melee mostly intact. This also makes them great for sieges since they don't give a shiiiit about the levies every castle has and will cut through them without much issue

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

:stare:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/message-from-total-war-leadership-dec-2023/

Goddamn. Partial refund on Pharaoh, confirmed plans for map expansion and new cultures, no more premium editions. First paid DLC will be a free update instead. Game is down to 40 USD / 30 GBP

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 14, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Agean90 posted:

Yeah don't underestimate katana kachi, they will roll up most modern units in the game without much issue if you can get them into melee mostly intact. This also makes them great for sieges since they don't give a shiiiit about the levies every castle has and will cut through them without much issue

My secret is that I don't think i've played an offensive castle battle in like 3 campaigns. If I have its because I have vastly superior firepower and i just shoot all the troops off the wall.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think thats one of the most sincere-seeming apologies and admissions of loving up that ive seen from a major company in the video game world. i hope they mean it.

(i don't feel particularly wronged personally since i simply didn't buy pharoah, i only got wh3 when it was on a very deep discount, and havent bought any dlc's. but still, i hope they get it all sorted)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has the last few releases been that bad? I've kinda stopped following them since they ditched 3k.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've just started a new game of Empire as Britain, and am currently in turn 36. Despite my best efforts and funnelling them 500 gold a turn the Mughal Empire is down to five provinces in India. They held their own for a dozen turns but then it's just turned into a failure cascade and even if I decided to give them the 13000 gold a turn I'm making I doubt they would hold out for much longer (I managed to occupy 16 of the 20 available trade nodes as soon as the pirates died and it was safe for me to grab them). As for me, Spain wiped out the United Provinces in turn 4 so I had a third pirate region to conquer, but on the other hand I managed to nab Dutch Guyana and also Ceylon, so when the inevitable ground war in India comes, I have a decent base to strike from. Spain are gobbling up random Native American regions, while the United States have emerged so there could be some fun in the North American theatre soon

I managed to defeat them by spending ungodly amounts of money building armies in Ceylon, taking as many provinces as I could and then making a peace deal with them while I stabilized things and converted the populace to prevent uprisings. Rinse and repeat until I took their final province in the Indian theater and they were destroyed as a nation despite also controlling the entire area between India and the Balkans.

Probably helped they were very busy having a mega war with Poland Lithuania over the remains of Austria so most of their stacks were there.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Flipswitch posted:

Has the last few releases been that bad? I've kinda stopped following them since they ditched 3k.

I don’t think Pharaoh was bad. It was just about like their other Saga games but more expensive. Price and a glacial lace of updates/bug fixes account for most the current issues, so it’s nice to see those specifically being addressed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Flipswitch posted:

Pharoah was a Saga title at a full price point and I think the partial refund is basically acknowledging that.

On the TWWH side, the most recent dlc went over like a eggy fart because they jacked the price up point significantly compared to most lord packs for what people generally consider to be a pretty underwhelming pack, especially if you compare it to the other dlcs for game 3 (chaos dwarves was the same price and loving owns - well worth the money, champions of chaos was $9 cheaper and had overall more legendary lords and new units, Ogres were fully half the price which makes the value proposition a lot easier even if you don't like Ogres)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sounds like the perfect storm, albeit self inflicted. Kind of sad to see goodwill spent like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Its ca, they periodically just start fuckin up after few good releases. See empire, Rome 2.