Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr. Poz posted:

The movie then appears twice, once for each library, in my Continue Watching panel. Is there a setting for this?

Sadly no, it’s always done this. See it as a double reminder to finish your films completely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
If you don’t want Plex to track your usage simply sit down on your couch and yell AM I BEING DETAINED before you watch anything and then legally they can’t track anything

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Now I'm picturing people offering a trailer before a show starts that says, "PLEX DOES NOT HAVE MY EXPRESS PERMISSION TO VIEW MY MOVIES...." kinda like the FBI warning on VHS

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Now I'm picturing people offering a trailer before a show starts that says, "PLEX DOES NOT HAVE MY EXPRESS PERMISSION TO VIEW MY MOVIES...." kinda like the FBI warning on VHS

This BBS is a private system. Only private citizens who
are not involved in government or law enforcement activities are
authorized to use it. The users are not authorized to divulge any
information gained from this system to any government or law
enforcement agency or employee.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

are you a cop?
you gotta tell me, it's the law

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

code:
If you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group or any other related group, 
or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its 
files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to 
these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by 
Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) 
or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page 
which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Dr. Poz posted:

I've started the process of breaking 4k content out into separate libraries and noticed a weird issue. I have a 4k and HD copy of a movie. I start to play one of them for a few minutes and then stop. The movie then appears twice, once for each library, in my Continue Watching panel. Is there a setting for this?

If you put both files in the same library Plex will merge them in the same database entry and you can choose which version to play. Sadly their labeling on this sucks and instead of using the Edition feature it just tells you the bitrate of each file (And no idea if this feature is supported in all or any of the TV apps)

Before Merging

After Merge

I'm not sure which file it chooses if you just hit play vs play version, but this might work for your specific use case if the movies are otherwise identical content wise. Sadly for nerds like me who like to keep different versions of the same movie around, it doesn't work.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

HKR posted:

I'm not sure which file it chooses if you just hit play vs play version, but this might work for your specific use case if the movies are otherwise identical content wise. Sadly for nerds like me who like to keep different versions of the same movie around, it doesn't work.

You can check exactly which video it is processing by loading up by searching for something called "media info"

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I finally figured out how to downloads to work really well for me. I create optimized versions of the file I want in the desktop app. Then on my phone I download them on Infuse. It even downloads my subtitles!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

cryptoclastic posted:

I finally figured out how to downloads to work really well for me. I create optimized versions of the file I want in the desktop app. Then on my phone I download them on Infuse. It even downloads my subtitles!

I'm confused now. What does infuse actually do now that Plex doesn't do already?

Why optimize your files manually if Infuse should already be doing that for your device?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

EVIL Gibson posted:

I'm confused now. What does infuse actually do now that Plex doesn't do already?

Why optimize your files manually if Infuse should already be doing that for your device?

Unless I missed a setting Infuse doesn’t transcode downloads. If I choose download it just downloads the normal file. I want smaller files on my phone so I optimize in Plex and then download in the Infuse app on the phone.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Overseerr vs. Ombi - any good reason to choose one over the other?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Aredna posted:

Overseerr vs. Ombi - any good reason to choose one over the other?

I switched from Ombi to Overseerr about a year ago, I just thought Overseerr was a better user experience and it also seemed like it had more active development than Ombi did. The only thing I miss is being able to bulk email my users for things like planned maintenance.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I have most of my music on Plex, which I can listen to just great using Plexamp on my phone or PC. But my TV is connected to a Roku and Firestick, which don't allow Plexamp. Any suggestions as to how I can play music on those without that awful skipping between tracks?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Delthalaz posted:

I have most of my music on Plex, which I can listen to just great using Plexamp on my phone or PC. But my TV is connected to a Roku and Firestick, which don't allow Plexamp. Any suggestions as to how I can play music on those without that awful skipping between tracks?

Can you cast to either of those devices? It’s how I play music on my home theater with Plexamp.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The fact you can’t pop out the visualizer in PlexAmp and full screen that poo poo is a travesty.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Delthalaz posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for probably, but Roku's usually support Airplay. Maybe you can airplay from then Plexamp app on your phone to the Roku.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

HKR posted:

Can you cast to either of those devices? It’s how I play music on my home theater with Plexamp.

Do you mean Google Cast? I pushed audio from my phone to my Roku or Fire Stick but it just opened the music in the Plex app and consequently included that awful gap between tracks. I see a Google Cast option but I'm not sure what device that is.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for probably, but Roku's usually support Airplay. Maybe you can airplay from then Plexamp app on your phone to the Roku.

I don't see that option on my phone but I'll take a look at Roku settings.

e: maybe my wifi isn't strong enough but when I use Airplay the audio skips

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 1, 2023

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://cordcuttersnews.com/amazons-fire-tv-is-adding-full-screen-video-ads-that-play-when-you-start-your-fire-tv/

Amazon’s Fire TV is Adding Full-Screen Video Ads That Play When You Start Your Fire TV

Cool cool cool.

So everything is just going to keep getting shittier, huh?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

odiv posted:

Google will no longer let you Chromecast if you aren't using the default launcher (Amazon won't let you use any other launcher).

The other day I realized that if you disable most of the ads on the Google launcher with their double-secret "apps only (plus one ad)" mode, the assistant button pops up a message saying it doesn't work "yet".

So... yes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

odiv posted:

https://cordcuttersnews.com/amazons-fire-tv-is-adding-full-screen-video-ads-that-play-when-you-start-your-fire-tv/

Amazon’s Fire TV is Adding Full-Screen Video Ads That Play When You Start Your Fire TV

Cool cool cool.

:capitalism:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

odiv posted:

Astronaut “always has been” meme :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whats a good option for a media player with remote? Ive been using fire cubes / sticks.

You can opt out of the auto play vids and sound at least but im running into problems like i use the Peleton app on my fire stick on an old TV in my home gym/ office area and i can no longer get it to reinstall even after fully reformatting the device. Had that happen for other apps like Crunchyroll etc.

I know this isn’t the best thread for this convo but not sure what else is better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the go to way to find out items that are in your Plex directories that are not recognized by Plex? I know there used to be an add on for it but can't seem to find it anymore.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That Works posted:

Whats a good option for a media player with remote? Ive been using fire cubes / sticks.

I still prefer the Google Chromecast to the Amazon doodad. Despite the giant ad you can't remove, you can get rid of most of the rest of them.

The Roku stick seems pretty cool.

I imagine I'll be looking into using a Raspberry Pi if everybody keeps crapping up their software.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I imagine I'll be looking into using a Raspberry Pi if everybody keeps crapping up their software.

I'm still on Rokus but they are getting actively worse (advertising) as well. I think we'll all be on Pis and some kind of remote solution in the next few years if things keep going in this direction.

Of course we'll also be changing the thread title to emby/jellyfin/something else because it sure won't be plex by then with their current trajectory.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Keep in mind you also have the option to build a Pi Hole with a Raspberry Pi that makes it so you don't have to worry about ads period

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Medullah posted:

Keep in mind you also have the option to build a Pi Hole with a Raspberry Pi that makes it so you don't have to worry about ads period

Yup this is nice. Sadly doesn’t seem to stop the new baked in Amazon ads on their devices but those are at least opt out (for now).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
We have guest often enough where I wanted a simple/single remote drive the normal workflow of firing up to playback. Ended up slapping Nvidia shield tvs to each tv.

Roku was nice but couldn't customize it enough. Android TV was amazing, but they keep ducking with the launcher. Custom launcher solves it for me.

The little *Android with Google TV" box/remote didn't exist at the time, so this was the least crazy option at the time.

I've found my current dns based ad killing to be a little too strict for standard use within my home network.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AppleTV stays winning

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

AppleTV stays winning

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Medullah posted:

This does not work on most of the platforms being discussed. They are directly serving/proxying ads to them from the same domains/URLs needed for app stores/updates.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

AppleTV stays winning

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Motronic posted:

This does not work on most of the platforms being discussed. They are directly serving/proxying ads to them from the same domains/URLs needed for app stores/updates.

Ah that's dumb, I used to have one years ago and it worked great but it got corrupted and I never bothered setting it up again.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

HKR posted:

If you put both files in the same library Plex will merge them in the same database entry and you can choose which version to play. Sadly their labeling on this sucks and instead of using the Edition feature it just tells you the bitrate of each file (And no idea if this feature is supported in all or any of the TV apps)

Before Merging

After Merge

Thanks for the pointers, but this is precisely what I'm moving away from in order to better support remote users. My mom and my wifes parents can just about handle opening Plex on the AppleTV, finding the movie and hitting play. They wont remember to check versions or pick the right one. I only give them access to the HD library, so they never see the second 4k copy. This is purely an annoyance for my personal accounts since I have all library access.

Edit: Excellent example movie used for the screenshot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Medullah posted:

Ah that's dumb, I used to have one years ago and it worked great but it got corrupted and I never bothered setting it up again.

Yeah, they're on to us. It's still really worth having for everything else on your home network though so definitely get that set up again.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

FCKGW posted:

AppleTV stays winning

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Avoiding bullshit advertisements is literally the only reason I got an ATV and I don't regret it in the slightest. I really dislike hostile ad-centric devices in every aspect of my life and it's hard to imagine buying an amazon or roku thing ever again.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
How is the overall performance of apple tv with Plex? I been using my android tv with pretty good results as in it plays everything I throw at it but the app can really suck at times. The occasional lagging, freezing, resetting, and cover art not loading is starting to wear me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bloopsy posted:

How is the overall performance of apple tv with Plex? I been using my android tv with pretty good results as in it plays everything I throw at it but the app can really suck at times. The occasional lagging, freezing, resetting, and cover art not loading is starting to wear me down.

Spend the money on Infuse and it's fantastic unless you care about your AVR showing "Atmos" on the screen.