Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Regalingualius posted:

All I know is that the songs apparently had lyrics so unnatural-sounding that at least some folks are legitimately wondering if it was written by an “AI”

I don't think that they were actually written by AI (well, maybe) but I totally understand this. The lyrics sound incredibly unnatural, with that weird, vague SEO-friendly tone you get when you ask AI to write something, plus there's a lot of repetition and redundancy, and then they're just plopped down on top of the melody regardless of whether it fits or not. It's the kind of song construction you're more likely to find in pop music, which is usually more passively consumed, but it makes sense that people are picking up on it since a musical number asks for your full attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Some recent Disney Plus show had digital extras, which nobody liked.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Well, they were scary.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems incredibly unlikely that they used AI to write a handful of song lyrics for a movie, which already requires years of production. You use AI when you need something done fast. It's much more likely a result of the old version of AI: focus-testing something to death to try to please everyone.

"This seems AI-generated" is definitely quickly becoming a critique I'm super tired of. It's almost like a critique written by... never mind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems incredibly unlikely that they used AI to write a handful of song lyrics for a movie, which already requires years of production. You use AI when you need something done fast. It's much more likely a result of the old version of AI: focus-testing something to death to try to please everyone.

And that gels a lot better with what Disney's basically been doing for a decade at this point, everything gets overmanaged, micromanaged, meddled, butchered and focus-tested to pieces to the point where no wonder it's barely coherent by the time it gets to release.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Papercut posted:

I read a review that said the film is kinda fun as a meta commentary on Disney itself, with the villain playing the part of Disney obviously

Nah, the star is Disney. The villain is other companies that don't support your dreams.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And that gels a lot better with what Disney's basically been doing for a decade at this point, everything gets overmanaged, micromanaged, meddled, butchered and focus-tested to pieces to the point where no wonder it's barely coherent by the time it gets to release.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Iger remains at Disney in the next two years at this rate given the recent outputs being either over-massaged messes or things nothing actually asked for. The fact we get an aggressively meh movie on the 100th anniversary is sad.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Trolls 3 was fun as heck, what a positive movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The idea that at this point a lot of Disney staff are Disney Adults explains so much. That's a great way to end up with something between a cult and a bunch of weirdo manchildren who are both terminally sentimental and obsessed with Disney Branding to the point of failing to understand it or anything else.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Haha, a friend told me about his orientation at Disney. They stick everybody in a room and give a presentation on how perfect and wonderful the company is, and how your prayers have been answered now that they've hired you. That's how he described it, anyway.
So he kinda smiles at the lady next to him and goes, "Geez, kinda like a cult, isn't it?"
And she gives him the biggest goddamn stonkface and replies, "It is my DREAM to work here."

He said it kinda scared him and made him wonder what he'd gotten himself into.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Haha, a friend told me about his orientation at Disney. They stick everybody in a room and give a presentation on how perfect and wonderful the company is, and how your prayers have been answered now that they've hired you. That's how he described it, anyway.
So he kinda smiles at the lady next to him and goes, "Geez, kinda like a cult, isn't it?"
And she gives him the biggest goddamn stonkface and replies, "It is my DREAM to work here."

He said it kinda scared him and made him wonder what he'd gotten himself into.

Yeah this just confirms my read on Wish, that it's a weird piece of propaganda that mirrors the way the Disney corporation mythologises itself internally. The civilisation in the Wish world are creative people who create "wishes" (story ideas) and the villain is a bad corporate boss capriciously stops them from ever being rendered into being. But at Disney the magic wishing star makes dreams come true.

"When it comes to the universe, we're all shareholders."

I mean, christ alive what is that lyric.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 29, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's a lyric to a song? Jfc. :jerkbag:

Almost did an irl spit take there

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hahahahaha hoooooly crap. That's amazing.

I guess I need to know the context, what character sings that?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
:psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd double down on calling them a cult but cults usually have more self awareness.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a chorus number about how great the wishing star is.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What's particularly funny is that DreamWorks already did a vastly superior film about a wishing star last year.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Am I the only one who thought that the whole point of Trolls Band Together was that the other members of BroZone were supposed to be played by the other members of *NSYNC? In retrospect I recognize Eric Andre's voice, but the other performances seemed rather pedestrian which I attributed to the non-JT band members not being as seasoned actors (though all of them have acted and done voice over work before - who could forget Lance Bass' memorable turn as Sephiroth in the Kingdom Hearts series?). All the meta boy band jokes about properly tracking finances and focus on the hurt the BroZone members felt about breaking up and going their separate ways and whatnot carried a bit extra weight "knowing" that it was all the *NSYNC members saying this to each other. But then the credits roll and it turns out it hasn't been them at all and in some cases been other musical artists who have limited to no acting experience either? What was the point?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was probably way too much hassle and expense for a joke almost no one would get.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

"This seems AI-generated" is definitely quickly becoming a critique I'm super tired of. It's almost like a critique written by... never mind

I asked Bard and chat to finish your sentence.

quote:

"This seems AI-generated" is definitely quickly becoming a critique I'm super tired of. It's almost a critique written by......those who may underestimate the incredible diversity and depth that AI, like ChatGPT, can offer. It's as if the critique is penned by individuals who haven't fully grasped the nuanced capabilities and evolving nature of artificial intelligence, dismissing its potential and assuming a lack of genuine creativity or understanding. In reality, AI has the capacity to surprise and engage in ways that challenge preconceived notions, making it an exciting and valuable tool rather than a mere generator of predictable content.

Bard:
"This seems AI-generated" is definitely quickly becoming a critique I'm super tired of. It's almost a critique written by...An uncreative writer lacking originality

Sir Lemming posted:

Hahahahaha hoooooly crap. That's amazing.

Apparently the lead? Should’ve gotten Uncle Scrooge to sing it.
Though is it really such a bad lyric? Shareholders of the planet is apparently a rallying cry for some environmentalists group? I mean it looks dumb coming from Disney but is it really that terrible

Edit:

Wow, that flow

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was probably way too much hassle and expense for a joke almost no one would get.

But that's the point, in my mind, this movie was entirely sold on the premise of "Branch/Justin Timberlake is reuniting with his former Boy Band members! *NSYNC is reuniting for their first new song in decades!" Maybe it's just because my wife is a mega-fan and the Better Place song has been on constant loop in my house since the single dropped, but I really thought an *NSYNC reunion was the entire point of the movie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Klungar posted:

Am I the only one who thought that the whole point of Trolls Band Together was that the other members of BroZone were supposed to be played by the other members of *NSYNC? In retrospect I recognize Eric Andre's voice, but the other performances seemed rather pedestrian which I attributed to the non-JT band members not being as seasoned actors (though all of them have acted and done voice over work before - who could forget Lance Bass' memorable turn as Sephiroth in the Kingdom Hearts series?). All the meta boy band jokes about properly tracking finances and focus on the hurt the BroZone members felt about breaking up and going their separate ways and whatnot carried a bit extra weight "knowing" that it was all the *NSYNC members saying this to each other. But then the credits roll and it turns out it hasn't been them at all and in some cases been other musical artists who have limited to no acting experience either? What was the point?

Yeah I thought this until they got to Clay, whose voice I recognized as not NSYNC.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Saw Wish over the weekend and it’s incredibly weak. Songs aren’t good, the message is incredibly forced, the references to other Disney IP is even more forced, and the whiplash of Magnifico becoming the villain is off putting. Also his wife goes from supportive of her husband to concerned to gleefully trapping her husband in glass forever and declaring herself queen so quickly that a better plot would involve her being the real villain by orchestrating each plot point to get her powerful wizard husband out of the way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Wish was a confusing mess.

The tragic backstory of the villain is just a scorched coat of arms, and he's not even using the wish bubbles for anything (before he uses the book of Spooky Green Magic). It's like he's just hoarding wishes to get people to like him. For a movie about wishes we only see two actually granted. There's a legitimate concern that some wishes are too vague to be feasible and Asha concedes they shouldn't be obligated to honor dangerous wishes but this isn't addressed. The bad guy is defeated by everyone singing and doing this ET heart light thing? I have no loving clue what was happening there.

Magnifico isn't as well written as say Mr Facilier and it's unclear the limits to his wish powers, as it's derived from magic he taught himself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

With both Strange World and now Wish flopping I'd hope that Disney would realize that they can't just coast on their style anymore and that they gotta rethink what they're doing, but the likely answer is that they'll just double down on sequels instead. Especially what with them having two Frozen sequels in the pipeline.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Srice posted:

With both Strange World and now Wish flopping I'd hope that Disney would realize that they can't just coast on their style anymore and that they gotta rethink what they're doing, but the likely answer is that they'll just double down on sequels instead. Especially what with them having two Frozen sequels in the pipeline.

Live action remakes of their live action remakes

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Papercut posted:

Live action remakes of their live action remakes

Animated remakes of their live-action remakes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mulan: the live action reimagining of the live action reimagining of the classic film, this time without any proven concentration camp labor!

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 29, 2023

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Seems like historically' Disney's recipe for musical success is to either hire acclaimed singer/songwriters like Elton John, Phil Collins, and Randy Newman or to get proven Broadway folks like Menken, LMM, and the duo who wrote Avenue Q and Book of Mormon. Who did they get for Wish?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wish tallied $31.6M in its opening 5-day weekend which is below expectation, but only because it was likely overvalued by predictors in the first place (it was predicted to have a $50M opening week). it only outperformed Trolls Band Together by $2M in the three day 11/24-11/26 weekend, so TBE should have decent legs. Wish is at $50M WW, TBE after a month overseas and two weeks domestic is at $146M WW

unfortunately the only thing that's going to happen is not Disney learning that they need to let their artists grow and use their unique voices, but to double down on the Frozen formula and also lay a bunch of animators off, which is going to make 2024 an even more brutal year for unemployed artists in the industry

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sourdough Sam posted:

Seems like historically' Disney's recipe for musical success is to either hire acclaimed singer/songwriters like Elton John, Phil Collins, and Randy Newman or to get proven Broadway folks like Menken, LMM, and the duo who wrote Avenue Q and Book of Mormon. Who did they get for Wish?

Writers for pop artists. The lady of the duo wrote for Bieber, Spears, Lovato, Stefani, etc... The guy did a music video.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I totally forgot that Strange World not only exists but was already released

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
drat, Mars Express owned. Hope it gets a release beyond :france:.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

jesus christ these songs do not work any better with visual context

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I may be getting older, but that clip struck me as an attempt to be "hip", only to dive headfirst into Mondo Cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9uFxdAzcr0&t=18s

The visuals aren't bad, but they look flat. Is it better on the big screen?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am flabbergasted that the story isn't the MC learning that wanton wish-granting is dangerous as gently caress and hard work with strong social bonds are the best way to earn dreams. It's trite, but WOW is the actual message irresponsible. Am I nuts or does it come off as weirdly incel-y? "I deserve what I want by virtue of wanting it!" The villain's even a Chad.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong about this. I'm not gonna be bothered to see it in theaters, but my mind's running wild here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If you're going to go in that direction a better scale would be the villain obsessing over wishes not being granted because only hard work should be rewarded with the hero's counterpoint being "Fine, but if you don't know that you are allowed to want more out of life how do you know what you are working towards?" There's kind of a thing like that in Kingdom Hearts BBS where Terra is confused about the Fairy Godmother's philosophy because he's always been taught that work is what's important, and the Godmother's like "Yeah, work's important too, but a dream is basically visuallising something that you want. Cinderella needs to know that she's allowed to do stuff." Especially since she's already done the work and the Godmother is helping her cheat a bit because her family didn't play fair, Terra just wasn't there for that bit so he doesn't know.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hell, that works fine, too! So did Wish really stop at "everyone should get what they want because they want it and it's bad to tell them no?" Surely that's not it. Surely I'm misunderstanding.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Das Boo posted:

Hell, that works fine, too! So did Wish really stop at "everyone should get what they want because they want it and it's bad to tell them no?" Surely that's not it. Surely I'm misunderstanding.

If it is even Bruce Almighty was smarter than that, he did that because he couldn't be assed to sort through the prayers and everyone wins the lottery so everyone only gets about $4 and riots ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Starting to think Encanto was an accidental success on Disneys part